Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,987 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) (48870 Views)

Major Streets In Jos Flooded (Photos) / Newly Constructed Walkway In Jakande, Lekki (Photos) / Airforce Junction In Port Harcourt Flooded (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 30, 2016
Lips sealed
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Reference(m): 5:28pm On Aug 30, 2016
sarrki:
I have not heard 9f this road been commissioned

Pls let's be constructive in our criticism

It's for the good of all .

We should grow over may be it's APC or PDP

our concerns should be the betterment of our Dear society and country

Youth Pls wake-up

It is not about commissioned or not. I passed 'under' on my way to Portharcourt a month and a half ago and slowed down enough to observe. One thing I noticed and this is Tunnel 101 for beginners. If you intend building any subsurface structure, please, please, please, you must give serious thought how you will get water out if and only if it gets in. I saw what was a joke of an attempt to do this by a foot and a half wide by a foot and a half deep open drain. I knew I wasn't passing back that way till December when the 'open sewer' will be less smelly. The Ministry of Works must engage the services of professionals, not politicians to set the standards for their infrastructure. This is a joke.

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Kiakia(m): 5:29pm On Aug 30, 2016
Abagworo:

Sometimes I do wonder what you people gain by all these deceitful posts on social network all in a bid to discredit Mr Okorocha. I visited he tunnel and the standard is very good and drainage very well constructed. Anyone in doubt should visit and see for himself. The tunnel has an underground tank for water storage during rains and installed pumping system that pumps excess water to existing road drainage in case of flooding as seen on the OP's photos. Underground tunnels everywhere do get flooded after heavy rainfall and installed pumps used in pumping out the excess flood water.

Let's take a look at these flooded tunnels in UK and Saudi Arabia.

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/midtown-tunnel-flooded-during-storm/article_a68de17d-6f18-5d96-8153-3de8fd056102.html

Water flowed into the Midtown Tunnel through air
vents when Thursday's heavy rainfall overwhelmed
pumps on the Norfolk side, as well as a settlement
tank beneath the road. This has happened before
during storms, and no damage was done to the
tunnel, according to Leila Rice, a spokeswoman for
the tunnel operator, Elizabeth River Crossings.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2015/nov/26/tunnel-floods-in-saudi-arabia-amid-heavy-rain-trapping-cars-video

Local people in the Saudi Arabian capital of Riyadh
take pictures of a road tunnel which flooded during
heavy rains on Wednesday, completely submerging
vehicles, and a fleet of trucks converge to pump out the
water. One person is reported to have died and city
authorities have been forced to close roads and
thoroughfares as a result of the weather, which is due
to continue into Thursday
You did not visit the 'tunnel'. If you did, you will certainly not write what you up there. That needless project has caused, and is causing the citizens great discomfort as a lot of manhours is wasted everyday by commuters trying to navigate their way round the so called 'tunnel'. Everything should not be politicised.

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by nelsonjj: 5:30pm On Aug 30, 2016
Such Project Can Only Be Seen In The Admnistration Of A Bad Leader, Imolites Are In Trouble.

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by SexyStrawberry(f): 5:33pm On Aug 30, 2016
ominibaba80:
This is the newly Constructed tunnel at Concord Hotel Junction in Owerri Imo state, this project is less than 4 months old.

The upper part of the tunnel is blocked because no car can drive at the top to avoid collapse.

If you live in Owerri or you pass through Owerri, you will understand what am talking about.

lolxxxx I just passed the tunnel now, its not that bad naaw, its still work in progress, but I really don't understand why Rochas had to do that, after beautifying owerri, what next?
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by heroski(m): 5:52pm On Aug 30, 2016
sarrki:
I have not heard 9f this road been commissioned

Pls let's be constructive in our criticism

It's for the good of all .

We should grow over may be it's APC or PDP

our concerns should be the betterment of our Dear society and country

Youth Pls wake-up
guy park one side cos i'm pretty sure U don't stay in owerri
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by misterawo: 6:03pm On Aug 30, 2016
Looks more like an underground drainage facility
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by dellsystems: 6:04pm On Aug 30, 2016
Originality007:
grin is that a tunnel or fish pond?
None of the above. It's Lake Rochas.

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by adeoba2008(m): 6:04pm On Aug 30, 2016
until we start holding government accountable , things are not going to change
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by ebby9z(m): 6:11pm On Aug 30, 2016
The designer of that bridge should be ordered to sit on hot plate. There's a serious inexcusable error in the design of that fishpond they call tunnel. Dont they have a commissioner of works in that state or he's a carpenter too?

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Abagworo(m): 6:12pm On Aug 30, 2016
Kiakia:
You did not visit the 'tunnel'. If you did, you will certainly not write what you up there. That needless project has caused, and is causing the citizens great discomfort as a lot of manhours is wasted everyday by commuters trying to navigate their way round the so called 'tunnel'. Everything should not be politicised.

I took this photo.

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by MissingBudget: 6:20pm On Aug 30, 2016
Abagworo:

The whole Owerri is under total reconstruction and expectedly people will suffer for a while before smile comes. I know what people experienced in Port Harcourt when Amaechi made same type of decision but today we are all enjoying the roads. So my dear bear with Government for without pain there won't be gain.

Agreed, but some construction sites have been abandoned. I hope it will be prove worthy of the suffering and wait.
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Jonwesley(m): 6:24pm On Aug 30, 2016
They don kill all the fishes wey dey there o!
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Abagworo(m): 6:31pm On Aug 30, 2016
MissingBudget:

Agreed, but some construction sites have been abandoned. I hope it will be prove worthy of the suffering and wait.

That's where sincere criticism should come in. None of the projects should be abandoned lest the aim is defeated ab initio. It's better to leave the roads narrow as they were than destroy them only to abandon later. On my own part I believe Okorocha planned very well and saved up huge funds which has given him confidence to embark in such volume of road destruction at same time.
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by dljbd1(m): 6:32pm On Aug 30, 2016
Who constructs a tunnel with drainage... undecided
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by lordkhalifa(m): 6:54pm On Aug 30, 2016
cockroach okoroawusa is a decisive individual, substandard project, quarter government, fake promises, Bughari his master should come and commission this project

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by HIPROFILE(m): 7:07pm On Aug 30, 2016
This is really a big insult to the Engineering profession.... The construction firm should be held responsible for this nonsense.. How on earth did they forget to include an underground drainage system in their plan.... This is nat funny to me and I guess the project plan must have been approved by a certified COREN Engineer. His certificate should be revoked with immediate effect....

2 Likes

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by ensamy(m): 7:08pm On Aug 30, 2016
Water tunnel to deliver water to imo indigenes.
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by superman(m): 7:11pm On Aug 30, 2016
okorohausa of Imo state

2 Likes

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Blue3k(m): 7:12pm On Aug 30, 2016
This state needs a plural executive model. The governor has to much power and is mismanaging state. Next state legislature needs get off it butt. Who approves these projects anyway?
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Abagworo(m): 7:30pm On Aug 30, 2016
HIPROFILE:
This is really a big insult to the Engineering profession.... The construction firm should be held responsible for this nonsense.. How on earth did they forget to include an underground drainage system in their plan.... This is nat funny to me and I guess the project plan must have been approved by a certified COREN Engineer. His certificate should be revoked with immediate effect....

I guess you typed out of ignorance as there's drainage. Most tunnels usually have the flood issue hence the need for water pumps.
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by proudihiteukwa: 7:31pm On Aug 30, 2016
ops,
This image/picture is an old one..

I will give the new picture soon.....................so very BAD
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 30, 2016
efilefun:
The road aint the issue but the drainage which must had been blocked by same people using that road with their gala nylon and all sort of dirt thrown on the road.

Was a drain included in the project in the first place?

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Favored4gud: 7:55pm On Aug 30, 2016
This not a tunnel, its under the bridge with not proper drainage outlet in place.
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by bigsam1992(m): 8:09pm On Aug 30, 2016
efilefun:
The road aint the issue but the drainage which must had been blocked by same people using that road with their gala nylon and all sort of dirt thrown on the road.

I don tink d contractors planned for dis...which is to say dey forgot about drainage system..must u blame d citizens for govt negligence?
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by MayorMgbedike(m): 8:25pm On Aug 30, 2016
This is serious!
The upper part not pliable? Then the tunnel is nothing but a trap, death-trap . The contractor need to be arrested.

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Doug07034780891(m): 8:29pm On Aug 30, 2016
Afonjas:
That's what Rochas Okoro hausa is know for, BUILDING China roads
All the primary schools Rochas built in every community in Imo State is death trap, all the materials used are substantial

Rochas is a Fraud Star!!!

LOL

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Blue3k(m): 8:36pm On Aug 30, 2016
bigsam1992:

I don tink d contractors planned for dis...which is to say dey forgot about drainage system..must u blame d citizens for govt negligence?

Lol engineer firm in Nigeria didn't plan for high flooding? This place only has 2 seasons being rainy season and dry season. That's very shameful.
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Agukagu(m): 8:46pm On Aug 30, 2016
9jatriot:
The responsible party for this project should be the engineers that designed such a project and the engineering department of the civil service and not necessarily the politicians who are not experts in construction.
In this age and time when more serious nations are building tunnels across countries and even continents, just to join two road has become a problem. Naija, I de fear una

Please stop defending the indefensible. Rochas is averse to using professionals. He is known for using quacks and for delivering poorly constructed structures. Imo state has a significant number of qualified civil engineering professionals that can deliver world class facilities but Rochas will never involve them. All his projects are carried out without environmental and social impact analysis. He is more interested in media razzmatazz that gives him political mileage than engaging in people oriented projects.

1 Like

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Obas101(m): 10:09pm On Aug 30, 2016
Abagworo:

Sometimes I do wonder what you people gain by all these deceitful posts on social network all in a bid to discredit Mr Okorocha. I visited the tunnel and the standard is very good and drainage very well constructed. Anyone in doubt should visit and see for himself. The tunnel has an underground tank for water storage during rains and installed pumping system that pumps excess water to existing road drainage in case of flooding as seen on the OP's photos. Underground tunnels everywhere do get flooded after heavy rainfall and installed pumps used in pumping out the excess flood water.

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/midtown-tunnel-flooded-during-storm/article_a68de17d-6f18-5d96-8153-3de8fd056102.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2015/nov/26/tunnel-floods-in-saudi-arabia-amid-heavy-rain-trapping-cars-video

Aboki nan.. Why don't you show pictures of the drainage itself nd all the setups.. Why bring up Saudi Arabia nd UK. Is that where the overhead bridge is undecided
Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by olisaokere(m): 11:14pm On Aug 30, 2016
Abagworo:

Sometimes I do wonder what you people gain by all these deceitful posts on social network all in a bid to discredit Mr Okorocha. I visited the tunnel and the standard is very good and drainage very well constructed. Anyone in doubt should visit and see for himself. The tunnel has an underground tank for water storage during rains and installed pumping system that pumps excess water to existing road drainage in case of flooding as seen on the OP's photos. Underground tunnels everywhere do get flooded after heavy rainfall and installed pumps used in pumping out the excess flood water.

Abagworo....it's not just about flood..the construction going on is not standard..someone just pointed out the the bridge has been closed for fear of collapse!

2 Likes

Re: The Newly Constructed Tunnel In Owerri Flooded (Photos) by Abagworo(m): 11:15pm On Aug 30, 2016
Obas101:

Aboki nan.. Why don't you show pictures of the drainage itself nd all the setups.. Why bring up Saudi Arabia nd UK. Is that where the overhead bridge is undecided

That's not an overhead bridge but a tunnel below sea level that makes use of pump and underground water collector. Tunnels are prone to flooding more than normal roads but dunce like you will accept roads get flooded after heavy rains but believe tunnels should be dry. Such a pity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Declares IPOB Proscription Illegal, Awards ₦8 Billion Damages To Kanu / EndSARS Protesters Chase Away Lawmakers, Demand To See Senate President / Reno Omokri Reacts As Toyota Snubs Nigeria, Opens Assembly Plant In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.