Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,527 members, 7,850,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:18 AM

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) - Satellite TV Technology (99) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) (250187 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (170) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by toxnaija: 4:23pm On Feb 23, 2010
badaru1,
i will get in touch in a few hours.

olason/gangsta/georged,
hi-low-tv is experiencing the law of karma.they got the right to the epl through fraud at the bidding process.i learnt a former super eagles player who works for s*y sports is a friend to them.he leaked the asking price of multichoice to his friend so that he could put in a higher bid.that was how they outwitted dstv!they dont have the business acumen to manage pay tv like multichoice.i see them collapsing in a few years.it is just the beginning of their fall.they might have to merge with multichoice or mytv.
a lot of the stations they sell to us in Africa are on freeview in the uk-Sky News,SkySports News,CNN,BBC,SKY3,etc.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by microgiant: 4:35pm On Feb 23, 2010
What HiTV had been doing all along is the Nigerian business model; see a booming market come in edge everybody out, become a monopoly and fix prices as you want.  They started by charging N4,000 with Nigerian minimum wage at N5,000 which everybody know about 60% of civil servants earn less than N10,000 as take home pay, mind you, even this is not regular.  it wasn’t enough a thought came into their wise heads that getting the whole coverage license they can increase N6,000 and make more money.  What happened, it backfired. In my area MyTV (without live football is more popular) dish is just scattered everywhere for N2,500/month the secret in their system lies in the fact that when you don’t pay you have something to watch, even though its church programs and Press TV, whereas other providers would have added it to their bouquet leaving the viewers dark when their subscription expires. The irony is that the customers still subscribe, at least 5 out of every ten MyTV owners I know in my area subscribe monthly and 3 of the remaining 5 subscribe once in two months or twice in three months.

It is a well known fact that people even reduce the quantity of food consumed and forgo some when the going gets tough.  With the current job losses, if they like, let them block and arrest as much as they want, it will not increase their revenue.   In other countries prices are either coming down or static, whereas in Nigeria it is always the opposite.

How can they charge cable tv operators to pay N3,500/sub, while they were charging HiTV subscribers N4,000.  Wont the cable operators have other contents on their service apart from football?
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olofofo(m): 5:44pm On Feb 23, 2010
@tox

that's some serious allegation. this is a very very open forum. God knows who will stumble upon your post one day.

@all

my take on whole thing is that, HITV still remains among the cheapest provider in the world. 80% premiership, carling cup and 100% champion's league at 6k/month is a bargain. what CTL were doing was some serious fraud and they deserve whatever is coming to them, you really can not reap where you do not sow., it's one thing to be rebroadcasting MB1-4, duabi one and rest FTA channels, to go ahead and charge 3000/month to rebroadcast showsport is compete fraud, we over here on this forum should not condone it at all, we should all encourage people to do business the right way.

in summary, we all know how difficult it is to do business in nigeria, with no available public power supply. in My book, HITV should really be encouraged to rival DSTV, NOVA, ALJAZEERA et al. the sky is the limit, if we offer our support to something that's totally Nigerian.

On most foreign forums, it's actually againt the rules to even discuss anything negative about providers resident in that country. we should try to emulate that rule.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 23, 2010
Should we now because of patriotism turn a blind eye to something factual? We'd be able to call a spade a spade. I think anyone clamoring for the support of Hitv without them improving on their contents is among the so-called cabal holding this nation back in the presidency issue at hand. We all predicted the fall and annihilation of daarsat on this forum and it came to pass, that of Hitv will soon be. Aljazeera with a better package offer less than this Hitv.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olason(m): 6:49pm On Feb 23, 2010
olofofo, i beg to disagree seriously with u. first b4 hitv came on board we had d likes of trend tv, fstv, etc due to d monopolistic nature of dstv they al went under due 2 content issue. d only surving one among them til date is my tv africa.they were able to survive due to d strategy they adopted by makin it affordable. let me tel u hitv also want to tol d line of dstv but bros they wil fail woefully because they dnt do there home work very wel b4 comin to d business. as par uefa most african tv statons carry it 4free. last wk I watched live 3 epl games 4free. even las nit i watched al d higlights of d epl , spanish league 4 free. what hitv should do is 2 partner with d cable operators and fashion out d way forward. cnn, fasion tv ,bbc, hbo, france 24, fox movies, etc are al free 2 air apart frm epl wentin again
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by pofolo(m): 6:53pm On Feb 23, 2010
@ all,
sorry 4 my absens, my workload have been double in my place of pry assignment.

@ p-prince,

i'l advice dual lnd.

On hitv bruhaha,
we ought to b proud of wat we have ?, 2 wrongs dont make a right.
1st they cunninly stole d right wen they know that they were not fully readily equiped, e.g dual or multiview decoders.
2: heard if not for senate, they wud av charged #9000.
I will neva support ctl or other pirators, neither will i suport hitv burst up on view centres & exoberant monthly fee of #20000. Or #3000/sub-subscriber.
Its simple, if one can nail these out of foot birds 4 ones enjoyment, then bravo ! ! !, BUT once its 4 commercial purqoses,sub-leting or sub-subscribe,then its CRIMINAL & 2 wrongs wil not make a right.

As 9ja go everly be 9ja, & u call anything free, there'll always b awuf & troble.
As far these birds are free & nobody is doing anything illegal, competition is welcome to curb monopoly.

Viva fta !!!
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by badaru1(m): 6:56pm On Feb 23, 2010
I see this issue of premierleague right in naija from two angles: What hitv is charging is not the cheapest in the world. First, you dont compare the prices of services in different countries on the same quefficient. You have to put alot of factors into consideration,like wages,tax,cost of doing business etc. In nigeria,apart from power all other components of the cost are cheap. Aljazeera charges less than 50 doller for a year for it package i.e about N7,500.00. with good picture quality and commentries.

On the other hand,ctl has no rigth to air EPL in nigeria that amount to piracy. They are supposed to negotiate with HITV for rebrodcasting. Using showtime or any other package in naija to air Epl is illegal.

At 6k it is ok but the quality of the service and even the quantity is poor. Most pay tv I know have more than Two TPs,but hitv has only 2 with less than 30 channels. Pay tv is only about football,it goes beyond that. Up till now even with Epl they cant match the power of DSTV. Remove Epl,N1500 DSTV is better than 6k Hitv. Instead of wasting my money to watch hinolly I better watch cine africa for free.

In nigeria we are used to midiocrity,a person that is suppose to perform up to 80% once he achieve 15% we will start clapping. Hitv should sit down to perfect it act together instead of chasing the small rats
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olason(m): 7:23pm On Feb 23, 2010
Oga badaru, u have said it all. excellent. let hitv face d issue of providing quality service and stop chashng shadows, like baba said. apart frm epl on hitv i wud rather pay to my tv africa. look at My tv Africa despite there low subscribtion they stil leave some of thier channels open weather u pay or not.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Sunsat(m): 7:37pm On Feb 23, 2010
@ all,
I must tell you all that HITV dont really know what entertainment business is all about,can you imagine,HITV pay more than what DSTV pay for about 7 countries in Africa to air premiership for Nigeria alone,is that not stupidness?i called it nemesis because FREE TO AIR remains for life,
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olofofo(m): 7:42pm On Feb 23, 2010
@badaru, ola et al

you expect Hitv that's less than 5 years old to compete with DSTV that's more than 20 years old. I believe with the resources available to them, they have been able to surpass a lot of expectations.  The truth of the matter is that we keep using DSTV as a yardstick for their success which is very wrong. they need time and support to be able to achieve their fully potential and surpass DSTV as well.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 8:06pm On Feb 23, 2010
@olofofo,
I think you totally missed the point. Nobody is trying to paint hitv in bad light. The fact is there for all to see. And like badaru said, simply because they are nigerian does not automatically mean we should support them even if their service is below par. True, they are less than 5yrs old, but a small child that tries to run before he can walk must be ready for the consequences. They bided so high for EPL because they wanted to push out DSTV at all cost capitalising on Nigerians craze for football. But contrary to their expectations, it is backfiring on them.

This topic has been discussed exhaustively in other threads, but do you know why they started going after business centres and hotels? I'll tell you. When they dumped so many billions on EPL and increased their subscription fees to try and recover their investment, many of their subscribers started defaulting in their monthly payments. Now, they have very inquisitive customer sales personnel who went about calling subscribers and asking them why they were no longer paying up. Almost all the people they called complained about the high subscription fees. When they asked them where they will be watching EPL matches now that they were no longer subscribing, again, almost all the people they called said they would prefer to watch the matches at viewing centres rather than pay the new fees.
Do you know what they did after making all this enquiries? Instead of reducing their subscription to woo back their customers, they started harassing viewing centres and hotels. Now is that the way a company with the right business focus should behave? And you expect us to support such crap?

Now as for CTL, I used to be a gullible subscriber until the day I knew their tricks. If only people out there know just 30% of the info we take for granted in this forum, companies like CTL will fold up and disappear without NCC closing them down. When people know that all those packages they are receiving from CTL are third party broadcasts and with a little space in their compound and some change, they can receive them directly, I tell you nobody will like to pay even one naira for the rubbish they are re-transmitting!
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by akatonero(m): 8:10pm On Feb 23, 2010
watch uefa champions league live on sirius4e.'etv-hyde-park-1'
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Enigma(m): 8:15pm On Feb 23, 2010
tox

I think you should edit post no 3136 sharpish; (a) it is potentially very very seriously libellous; (b) your identity is readily available; (c) you are easily 'reachable' in the UK.

I suspect you know I will not say a thing like that lightly!

ETA Just to show how serious I think it is: I was going to quote that your post but changed my mind due to risk of repeating the potential libel --- which itself is actionable in some circumstances.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 8:21pm On Feb 23, 2010
@Enigma,
I'm not sure there's any need for that. Tox was only saying the fact and we'll all see how this plays out very soon.

Only the guilty are afraid!  cool
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Enigma(m): 8:29pm On Feb 23, 2010
George_D

If you think so; what I will say is this: I know a fair bit about the law and I know how things work in the UK. Yep, if it is not brought to the attention of the chap whose name was mentioned or his representatives maybe nothing will happen. If it is brought to his/their attention, well something will happen I'm pretty sure ----- the fellow's reputation in this country (an extremely crucial matter) and indeed his future livelihood is affected by that kind of thing. He and his reps won't take it lightly.

But if you guys are sure it is fine . . .  all good!
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olofofo(m): 8:52pm On Feb 23, 2010
@george_d

all am saying is that people should just cut them some slacks. enough said on the matter.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 23, 2010
Next hot topic, you guys are beginning adding spice to the thread. Enigma, i'm totally in support of you, tox kindly edit your post. If i'd have been the one, am covered because i've nothing to lose, but you've a lot oo. Remember say na the same mouth wey d-d direct get and remember what became of him. But who'll want to waste a bullet on me?
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Gangsta101(m): 9:29pm On Feb 23, 2010
enitan2002:

Next hot topic, you guys are beginning adding spice to the thread. , But who'll want to waste a bullet on me?
. This is the first time in a while this thread has really got me coming back 4 more. nothin like a little spice to get the eyes watery. and enitan you'd be surprised! LOL
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by pofolo(m): 10:46pm On Feb 23, 2010
@ george,oga badaru, micro g & all,

knowledge is power, & it liberates, Keep up d good works.

@ tox,
enigma & eni are right. Dnt be suprise they ( pay thieves ) also 4low this forum.
As u know,body dey pain dem & they mite just b lookin 4 a 'sacred cow', but all thesame, air is free so also ur voice & opinion.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by toxnaija: 11:01pm On Feb 23, 2010
Enigma,
thanks for drawing my attention to the potential libel.i have edited the names just because of the respect i have for the great commentator,and not legal reasons.i got the info from a very reliable source when i was in naija.if you have any top multichoice manager friend,pls call him and ask about this.he will tell you the full story.i learnt multichoice protested to Sky but they had no evidence.besides,it was too late! it is just common sense-how did hitv know the amount dstv was bidding at if there was no leakage from the epl sellers.I like the spice this topic has added to the forum.it reminded me of the 3rd world war between Enitan and I.Unfortunately,he avoided me stylishly till I left naija even when I tried to lure him with fishes to LTV studios.I would have loved to meet my Saddam Hussein of the fta forum!I miss him no be small.

olofofo,
hitv was simply foolish and suicidal.i can liken their action to this scenario-it is like Yobe State Television outbidding NTA/AIT for the world cup transmission right! I had always wanted to mention this issue here but held back due to the prospect of libel or harm as mentioned by Enigma and Enitan.I know the extent the pay tv cabal can go to destroy any barrier.
In as much as I totally condemn piracy from CTL and others,Hitv should not make the mistake of instigating the govt to start banning big dishes and decoders.I see that as their next line of action.I remember when DSTV started,a lot of tv stations were hooking up to them for movies,music and football.i remember they sued OGTV,B.C.O.S.ibadan,and Delta DBS up to 10 times before they stopped the illegality.It was so bad then that  the last two stations would just take the local news and hook permanently to Supersports,channel O,and movie magic all through the weekend.the Lagos stations could not join in the illegality then because Multichoice would know immediately.This is one of the reasons laws dont work in Nigeria.govt stations did what CTL did!
I am waiting for the day HITV will start attacking us -owners of big dishes and fta decoders.oku a sun(dem go carry deadi bodi tire)!
I want all my silent ogas to comment on this issue-mide,twinstaiye,adewest,jujukemist,bigjoe,dejsam,gofitec,ifende,ekoonibaje,f-marshall,bodejohn,vickoy,etc.

Butoneday,
pls watch out for them oooo.your monster is a threat to the pay tv cabals.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Nobody: 11:52pm On Feb 23, 2010
@ tox, i definitely agree with you about me avoiding you. It's due to a prophetic revelation i had then that i'll be meeting a fish through you that the bones will hook my throat. That was the reason i stayed back. Ifende can't contribute on this forum again cos he's been banned. (don't tell him i told you this ooo).
@ all, my nile project is still very much feasible, just that due to my tight schedule i've not been able to go and book for the dish. I'll suprise the house with the pictures in the coming season. Wanna be the first to do that on the next season.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olofofo(m): 6:46am On Feb 24, 2010
@enitan

who banned ifende? what happened?
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Okaakoko(m): 8:06am On Feb 24, 2010
please, I have asked this question twice but nobody replied me. please what frequency can I use to track satellites on west like nss7c, intelsat907 and others with 1.8 meters motorised dish. those I saw on net are not working, please i will be expecting your replies thanks
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 24, 2010
@ olofofo, you asked two questions, the 'who' and 'what'? I'm sorry to say that the who i can't really say but the 'what happened' maybe it was due to the recent crisis in jos, maybe he voiced his opinion in other threads about the crisis and he got banned. He's the only one that can say what really happened.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by badaru1(m): 10:04am On Feb 24, 2010
@olofofo

Is glo not giving Mtn the run for their money right from day one? Age are nothing but number.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by obnelly: 10:23am On Feb 24, 2010
I fore see the future in the satellite world when hitv shall continue their wahalah moving from house to house to hunt 1.8-5m dish owner .
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by ekonibaje(m): 11:31am On Feb 24, 2010
The issue of hitv ,need nt to be debated on dis free to air thg, powerful tony subair work with Ncc b4, he knws hw he can knock off dstv,he nws abt in and out of dstv.many dstv dealers stll sell hitv, Hitv as turn demself to mopol catchg view center all abt, they forgot dat there is law in nigeria.We only knw hitv as pay view sattelite provider nt armed force,nor mopol,nor military---let Dstv dealer stop to sell hitv,u will see,hitv will beg, I traveleed to osun state last week,is nt easy2 see hitv dish outside///NA ONLY LAGOS . Hitv is an ACHIEVER wat der wat,as come to past by pullg Dstv out of market in nigeria,but it depend on subcriber to act,or pay.when u remove football on hitv tell me wat remain, amuludu--abi//pls hitv wake up frm ur slumber,as a member of free to air club///pls let other stastion be free and allow only premiership to come to 1,500 naira.Dat is my appeal.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Nobody: 11:51am On Feb 24, 2010
They dare not come to baba ijebu's house. They won't want to put sacrifice inside a microwave oven. And they won't also want to have a midnight call on mtn extracool with a dead spirit.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Dejsam(m): 12:05pm On Feb 24, 2010
toxnaija:

Enigma,
thanks for drawing my attention to the potential libel.i have edited the names just because of the respect i have for the great commentator,and not legal reasons.i got the info from a very reliable source when i was in naija.if you have any top multichoice manager friend,pls call him and ask about this.he will tell you the full story.i learnt multichoice protested to Sky but they had no evidence.besides,it was too late! it is just common sense-how did hitv know the amount dstv was bidding at if there was no leakage from the epl sellers.I like the spice this topic has added to the forum.it reminded me of the 3rd world war between Enitan and I.Unfortunately,he avoided me stylishly till I left naija even when I tried to lure him with fishes to LTV studios.I would have loved to meet my Saddam Hussein of the fta forum!I miss him no be small.

olofofo,
hitv was simply foolish and suicidal.i can liken their action to this scenario-it is like Yobe State Television outbidding NTA/AIT for the world cup transmission right! I had always wanted to mention this issue here but held back due to the prospect of libel or harm as mentioned by Enigma and Enitan.I know the extent the pay tv cabal can go to destroy any barrier.
In as much as I totally condemn piracy from CTL and others,Hitv should not make the mistake of instigating the govt to start banning big dishes and decoders.I see that as their next line of action.I remember when DSTV started,a lot of tv stations were hooking up to them for movies,music and football.i remember they sued OGTV,B.C.O.S.ibadan,and Delta DBS up to 10 times before they stopped the illegality.It was so bad then that  the last two stations would just take the local news and hook permanently to Supersports,channel O,and movie magic all through the weekend.the Lagos stations could not join in the illegality then because Multichoice would know immediately.This is one of the reasons laws dont work in Nigeria.govt stations did what CTL did!
I am waiting for the day HITV will start attacking us -owners of big dishes and fta decoders.oku a sun(dem go carry deadi bodi tire)!
I want all my silent ogas to comment on this issue-mide,twinstaiye,adewest,jujukemist,bigjoe,dejsam,gofitec,ifende,ekoonibaje,f-marshall,bodejohn,vickoy,etc.

Butoneday,
pls watch out for them oooo.your monster is a threat to the pay tv cabals.

@all,

To be really candid,htv has really made a mistake by really depending on premier league rights acquisition to make profits or sustain their business.so if their business is falling apart because their subscribers are no longer willing to pay subscription,then they are on their own.in my place over here,there are so may people i know that stopped dstv and hitv subscription to watch the normal fta when they discovered they have just been throwing away monies in the bin.fta set up over here is just like electric bulbs on the streets,it has become something normal like having an antena just outside ur roof.i think "spaceman" can bear witness to this when he came around and saw the way fta set up were hanged every angle u turn around to.i belive if htv guys can improve on the broadcast content,even without premier league rights,the sky is their limit.what are we saying here(just look at their picture quality nahhhhhhh), its is nothing to write home about.u have a look at just mbc channels ,dubai one,etc these are free channels with a broadcast quality even better than dstv broadcast quality."both in sound,clearity and picture quality"
going after local cable operators,viewing centres and hotels cannot solve their problems
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by twinskenny(m): 12:18pm On Feb 24, 2010
enitan2002:

They dare not come to baba ijebu's house. They won't want to put sacrifice inside a microwave oven. And they won't also want to have a midnight call on mtn extracool with a dead spirit.

lol, this is funny ,

Enitan how u dey> i dey expect you ooo
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 24, 2010
@ kenny, if i'd promise you that you'd be expecting me you'd better don't beleive me. Even this forthcoming public holiday on friday i'll still be in the office including all through the weekend, if you can make the trip to my end that will be better.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Hopitinto(m): 12:31pm On Feb 24, 2010
Pls hw did u knw or can u hlp wit d guide@aka tenero

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (170)

All About Nilesat Installations / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] / Strong Receivers Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.