Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State (24072 Views)

Boy Scores 400 In Post-UTME Exam Of Federal University Ndufu-Alike Ikwo / Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State Post UTME Update / Application Letter Written By A Female Graduate Of Federal Poly Nekede (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by MansaPiye: 12:36pm On Sep 03, 2016
Standing5:

The way the Vice Chancellors were selected for the twelve new Nigerian universities that were established about six years ago was something unprecedented in the history of university administration--and it was also widely condemned. The new Vice Chancellor for one of the universities, Federal University, Dutsinma, Professor Haruna Kaita, was appointed in February 2016. The normal process for appointment of Vice Chancellors is first to advertise the vacancy. Qualified and shortlisted candidates are then screened by a Council Committee, which sends the three recommended candidates to the general council.

The Council then ratifies the committee recommendation and the list is then forwarded to the President for the appointment of one of the three. This process was not adhered to.

In the case of Federal University Dutsinma, the appointment was made straight from Abuja without due process. Commenting on the anomaly, President Muhammed Buhari, said the government would make amends, but the dubious act was never reversed.

It is a calamity that an indigene of Katsina State was made the Vice Chancellor of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State, unlike the remaining new universities that have non-indigenes as Vice Chancellors. Even the constitution of the governing council is skewed:

Dr Maraliyya Zayyan from Katsina State is the Chairperson of Governing Council

The first victim of the scheme was the university Bursar who was duly appointed by the Federal Ministry of Education. He was terminated within five weeks of the Vice Chancellor’s assumption of duty for no cogent reason. His crime, the real reason for his termination, is his religion and state of origin-as a Christian from Kogi State.

The Bursar’s name-Mr Momohjimoh Sadiq-sounds Muslim but he is a Christian. He was promptly replaced with an officer from Katsina State as Acting Bursar. The other appointees soon followed:

Dr Babangida U. Dangani -Katsina State -Chief Librarian

Mr A.D Kankia -Katsina State -Registrar (recently appointed)

Prof. Johnson Fatokun -Oyo State -DVC

Prof. A. Bichi -Kano State -DVC

The Katsina mafia should have been satisfied having captured the key positions. However, they have descended heavily on the staff, intent on sending away the infidels (non-indigenes and Christians) in order to ‘sanitise’ the school. I understand this agenda is not just the Vice Chancellor’s baby project. Some powerful people in Katsina, the Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, and in Abuja are behind him insisting that the ethno-religious cleansing is a task that must be urgently done.

Some months ago the Vice Chancellor, in agreement with the inner caucus members of governing council of the university, set up the Staff Audit Committee to conclude the ethno-religious cleansing. The membership of the committee is suspect:

Hon. Emmanuel Omah -external member of council from Rivers State -Chairman of committee

Capt. Bala Jibrin -external member of council from Kano State -member

Dr Rabiu Shatsari -external member of council l from Bauchi State -member

Dr Lawal Saulawa -a lecturer from Katsina State -member

Dr Aliyu Mamman -a lecturer from Katsina state -member

The chairman of the committee is a card-carrying member of All Progressive Congress (APC) who has lost the ability to objectively reflect on the events in the University. He is out to carry out the agenda of flushing out qualified lecturers that the former Vice Chancellor, Professor James Ayatse, who had successfully served as Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, painstakingly employed.

A tribalist, Idris Ahmed who retired as a Registrar from ABU Zaria was co-opted to advise the committee on how to go about its assignment. He was used as a tool for northernisation of ABU, Zaria when he served as Registrar. Even before the committee completed its assignment, heads began to roll. Technicians, middle level officers have been sent packing. All of them are non-indigene Christians. All these are happening against the background that the new University is understaffed and may not meet the soon-to-be-conducted accreditation requirements.

Those whose appointments have been terminated so far include:

1. Mr. Samter: Maths Dept (from Benue State) - recently completed M.Sc from the UK

2. Mr. Orits Mimke (Delta State): Forestry Dept - soon to finish PhD from UK

3. Mr. John Ogbodo (Benue State): Forestry Dept - On his PhD

4. Mr Osuagu (Imo State): Accounting Dept -On his PhD

5. Dr. David Yongo (Benue State) History Dept -recently completed PhD

6. Dr Q. Amua -he was sponsored by the UK for bench work while doing his PhD in Nigeria. Recently defended PhD

7. Mr A. Zack -He has not defended PhD 6 & 7 Tetfund grant to travel but money was not released on time. So they borrowed money to go. They have since come back. Now money from Tetfund has come, but the VC is not refunding the money to the staff. He wants to terminate their appointments and spends the money. He gave them a letter to go to ICPC with their account details.

8. Dr Richard -President of staff cooperative society, was asked to go to ICPC with his account details. There is no basis for this action.

Appointments of 7 contract staff (all Christian Southerners) have been terminated. Idris Ahmed, it is said, advised that the university is overstaffed and should be pruned. But how come it is non-indigene Christians that are being sent away from a federal university? Can it be true that the new university is over staffed? How come they are planning to advertise positions that are begging to be filled? Why it is that none of the indigenes are affected? Are the touchable and the untouchables not Nigerians?

Many Katsina indigenes-academic and non-academic staff are saucy, many play truancy, but they are accommodated.

The list of those to be terminated is very long, about a quarter of the staff stand to lose their jobs. The Vice Chancellor is not sending away at once in order not to attract attention. They release a couple of letters a week. By this, they stress the staff as there is fear, which is palpable because no one knows who is next. But the indigenes and Northern Muslims move about with no care in the world.

Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is not in place. By convention, the staff of new universities are not to unionise for four years after which they are allowed to join for two years as observers before full membership. Now that they are ripe to join as an observer, no one dares to make the move. Those who are being terminated are leaving without protest while ASUU is not there to protect any staff.

Typical of northern university administration, one finds the university leadership as unserious. Lectures are cancelled for the first two hours of every Thursday to allow all academic and non-academic members of staff partake in environmental sanitation. This results in loss of academic hours for an under staff institution struggling for accreditation of many courses and which harbour enough employees who are paid to clean the environment.

Something must be done to arrest the situation. Government should intervene; that is the only sincere thing to be done.

Source
This is the exact same thing that Ahmadu Bello tried to do in the north. They called it the northernisation policy. They were busy sleeping while Igbos worked hard and got key appointments, in the end they had to kill 30,000 Igbos in 1966 to end Igbo domination of key sectors in the north (One Nigeria?) today, believe it or north Buhari is a disciple of Ahmadu Bello who's a Fulani like himself, they hold the belief that the Hausa-Fulani must dominate not just politics which they do with British support but everything else from education to commerce. We've seen how far they've gotten Nigeria after 40 years of northern control of politics, now they want to control education and they'll fail just as they have in politics, they want to control commerce too hence ban on forex and import because it will reduce Igbo domination of commerce and Buhari will then try to move or build key commercial infrastructures in the north. Innoson the Igbo carmaker in the east is now struggling to manufacture because of forex.
The northern elites are very confused. After 40 years in power, they stole all the money and still tell us about corruption as if we don't know where IBB and other northern thieves are.

6 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 03, 2016
daretodiffer:
How is that relevant to the issue on ground?undecided

It's very relevant....however, to answer the question...the issue is Northerners don't want to come and work in the East as only few are courageous enough to apply....if they see the space they won't apply....i stayed in the north for years so I know what am saying and also work in a university in the north. That's why the want to hold fist tight of the schools in the north. Go to UNN you will see yoruba's working there too

5 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Abokii8(m): 12:39pm On Sep 03, 2016
babestella:

And how many educated northerners want to take up teaching jobs? They rather get enlisted into government jobs where they can steal public funds.
We have them alot, they were simply not given the chance during the tenure of the former VC. Pay back time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by NairaMaster1(m): 12:40pm On Sep 03, 2016
Up northerners. Brave people. The south will always bow. Northerners don't care about outsiders at all!

1 Like

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by HajimeSaito(m): 12:40pm On Sep 03, 2016
I used to feel sorry for Christians in the North. I thought they had it bad with Boko Haram, discrimination etc, until I interacted with some of them on Nairaland. Let me say it: They are S.t.u.pid beyond belief.
I thought we ( souuthern christians and northern christians) could connect by our shared experiences as Christians. I tried condemning the blatant religious bias of buhari in his political appointments and his unconcerned attitude towards herdsmen killings in the middle belt. I thought my concerns would resonate. Instead I was shouted down as an IPOB drug dealer and product of baby factory.
So you see, when this contraption called a country finally falls apart, I hope Northern christians put up with whatever filth your raghead brothers pour on you. Don't ever think of looking to the South for solidarity or sympathy. You're on your own.

3 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 03, 2016
It is federal institution.i don't care about where hey want to work. They don't own the university, it belongs o us all. If it were a state institution, I might overlook it but it isn't therefore It must be managed to reflect it's federal nature.

If they don't want their people to work in other parts of the country, let their reps create jobs or more state institutions do their people. E no hard at allundecided

ejibaba:

It's very relevant....however, to answer the question...the issue is Northerners don't want to come and work in the East as only few are courageous enough to apply....if they see the space they won't apply....i stayed in the north for years so I know what am saying and also work in a university in the north. That's why the want to hold fist tight of the schools in the north. Go to UNN you will see yoruba's working there too

3 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Nobody: 12:46pm On Sep 03, 2016
Are you trying to say that their employment was as a result of nepotism? If yes, the VC must be ready to support it with proofs. I will be waiting for his rejoinder.

They need to come together, get a lawyer, notify their political reps from their indigenous communities and Katsina and sue the school

Abokii8:
We have them alot, they were simply not given the chance during the tenure of the former VC. Pay back time.

3 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 03, 2016
j

2 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Kuzzey(m): 12:50pm On Sep 03, 2016
Seems to me most of the sacked staff are from Benue, state of the former VC..Favouritism got them in. It got dem out as well! Shikena.
Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by malton: 12:51pm On Sep 03, 2016
MansaPiye:

This is the exact same thing that Ahmadu Bello tried to do in the north. They called it the northernisation policy. They were busy sleeping while Igbos worked hard and got key appointments, in the end they had to kill 30,000 Igbos in 1966 to end Igbo domination of key sectors in the north (One Nigeria?) today, believe it or north Buhari is a disciple of Ahmadu Bello who's a Fulani like himself, they hold the belief that the Hausa-Fulani must dominate not just politics which they do with British support but everything else from education to commerce. We've seen how far they've gotten Nigeria after 40 years of northern control of politics, now they want to control education and they'll fail just as they have in politics, they want to control commerce too hence ban on forex and import because it will reduce Igbo domination of commerce and Buhari will then try to move or build key commercial infrastructures in the north. Innoson the Igbo carmaker in the east is now struggling to manufacture because of forex.
The northern elites are very confused. After 40 years in power, they stole all the money and still tell us about corruption as if we don't know where IBB and other northern thieves are.

Much as this incident is a shame, your "analysis" is shallow, myopic and reeks of ignorance with lies tinged in between.

Tribalism is very common in Nigerian institutions. I come from Plateau State. In the University of Jos, in order to hold sway even as a lecturer, you must have come from the middle belt and especially, Plateau, followed very closely by the Igbos and Yorubas. And most importantly, you must be Christian.

You wil think that this is about tribe alone, but no, as humans we always have a way of exploiting our differences to gain advantages we usually wouldn't have had.

Case in point is Unizik, where I serve. Depite it being an Igbo school, you will always find Anambra people pitting wits against Igbos of other states. The VC's seat is still not given, not actually because of the magumagu he and his co-conspirator, the erstwhile VC employed to get him there, but because he is from Imo state, worst still, because he's "Mbaise" as they term it. I know this because I work right there. Even in the admission processes, in a class of 90 students, you will find that over 50 of those admitted are from Anambra, possibly with Imo getting 6 or 7, Enugu, 3 or 4, and Delta 2. Ebonyi is almost always 1 or 2. This same pattern characterizes the members of staff.

The difference is that the Igbos and those in Unijos go about it in a more civil, yet effective manner.

This is nothing peculiar to the Hausas alone, it is man's unkind treatment of mankind. Even as you typed that, you may already have been scheming on how to feed fatter than your other siblings from today's lunch, that is assuming that you still live with your parents as your response implies.

There's a reason why benevolence is such a rarity.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by DesChyko: 12:53pm On Sep 03, 2016
One Nigeria my ebony black as$!

But we all don't have to be stupid.

Tolerance is the element that education refines.

1 Like

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by justy15: 12:53pm On Sep 03, 2016
that is the change they voted for, let them enjoy it. they are only carrying out a script written for them by their religious bigot n tribally stricken bubu. need to drink water n ease off Nigeria problems they are just too many to think of

1 Like

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by ibadanfinest(m): 12:54pm On Sep 03, 2016
Well the only place where they ain't ethnic cleansing in university will be in the west. A lot of Igbos are lecturers in UI and Unilag. Even the best maths lecturer in UI is from the north his name is Subair.

Any university that sacrifice meritocracy for ethnicity will not grow. It is just as simple as that.

6 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Decryptor(m): 12:54pm On Sep 03, 2016
TeamSimple:
OP please i need you to do a research on Nsukka and tell me how many Norther Muslims we have in the university. Please i beg you, be objective.
No insults pls..just a question

We are still saying the same thing! The answer to your question is NONE simply because the average muslim (apologies to those who aren't) is bigoted and religiously brain-washed that even if you give him an appointment in UNN with a salary of N1m, he will say he won't work with "Aruna" (Infidels).

2 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by TeamSimple(m): 12:56pm On Sep 03, 2016
Waspy:
Is that not Bubu's home state.?

This report needs to be investigated .

Lalasticlala.. ..Push it up so that Buhari can see how much he has inspired nepotism
You can assist the OP with providing us names of northern muslims in Nsukka and their departments before you talk about bubu and nepotism.
Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by HAH: 12:56pm On Sep 03, 2016
OP please tell me how many northerners are there in federal university otueke, or even Muslims sef?

You are so bias that you said a former registrar of ABU, a premier university as not qualified to be on the council of a glorified secondary school christened federal university just because he is from Katsina.

The biggest problem you people have is that you always underrate the northern Muslim thinking he has nothing to offer even when glaringly qualified. That is they they will always surprise you because they have the numbers and if politics remains the game of numbers then they will determine it's leadership for long time.

2 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by rufaikoko(m): 12:58pm On Sep 03, 2016
This can't be true. Nothing good comes from the North. Perhaps they choose to leave due to Almajiris, early marriages and oil free North. Safe journey to you greener South.

2 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by hamzeiy: 12:59pm On Sep 03, 2016
frenchwine:
The one Nigeria our Yoruba brodas soo vigorously campaign for and defend, little do they know that a semi -literate Fulani man is smarter than them with all their sophistication.
Travelling is a far better education than many books would provide.
Come up north and see the reality.
mumu....maybe when you practice what you preach over there in east we might do thesame up north. i know an igbo muslim whose admission was withdrawn from NNSUKA simply because he is a muslim and they called him malam. he had to seek another in kaduna polytechnic where he graduated from. secondly how many malams or muslim lecturers do you in uyo or imt or unizik..infact how many muslim students do you have there..and yet 50% of students in most northern universities are non muslims..you cant even be a HOD in your schools over ther in the east no matter how qualifued you are as a hausa man or a muslim..fyi. i have been there and i have related with your people to know how callous and biased they can be unlike the mugu here that is in a corner of his house then thinks he knows every society..infact over here in futminna we use to have a professor usifo an igbo guy to be the dean of eng.g despite other professors better than him from northern nigeria withing thesame eng.g faculty...sooo what d fuvk are you talking about..you cant even give us land to build a common place of worship. your pple opposed a benue man from otorkpa from building a fillin station in enugu because you felt he is a northerner despite the fact that he is a xtain and otorkpa shares border with enugu...you guyz are worst of when it comes to this so why the complain if youre paid in your own coin? let every school lay off its non indigene staffs lets see who will receive more august visitors at their various regions.. rubbish
kindly shut ur smelly mouth abeg make we hear word

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by ChessEnthusiast: 1:03pm On Sep 03, 2016
frenchwine:
The one Nigeria our Yoruba brodas soo vigorously campaign for and defend, little do they know that a semi -literate Fulani man is smarter than them with all their sophistication.
Travelling is a far better education than many books would provide.
Come up north and see the reality.
Y'all should refrain from blaming Yorubas for all your woes and failures. Which one Nigeria are you talking about? Which tribe has been the most vocal on the issue of restructuring? Y'all didn't make noise during GEJ's regime but now making noise everywhere like the hypocrites that you all are.

4 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by TeamSimple(m): 1:05pm On Sep 03, 2016
Decryptor:

We are still saying the same thing! The answer to your question is NONE simply because the average muslim (apologies to those who aren't) is bigoted and religiously brain-washed that even if you give him an appointment in UNN with a salary of N1m, he will say he won't work with "Aruna" (Infidels).
Stop misinforming people here based on your personal feelings.
I schooled in ABU zaria ,and i can tell you openly that before i left the institution ,all the HOD's in my Faculty were christians except for Hausa and Arabic department.

A certain Northern christian literature lecturer was transfered to Nsukka ,but he had to get re transfered to BUK,due to the high level of ethnic and religious politics being played out..that the only sensible post given to a non igbo is agricultural extension and that was mrs adeosun.
Infact how many nothern muslims do you see accepted for PGD,masters or PHD.come to ABU,they make up the larger part of graduants.

The earlier you realise that the lecturer composition of nigeria universities is determined by the recepient state tribe and dominating religious the better for your understanding.

I think its only in southwest we find something different.

4 Likes

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by sageer1706(m): 1:05pm On Sep 03, 2016
The problem with us is that we are too sentiment in our judgment, in my school (usman danfodio uni sokoto) there are so many christians and southerners as lecturer (DRs and PROFs) infact with juicy positions, the likes of NSUKA, uniben, UI, abraka etc I can tell u that u will hardly find a northerner been admitted as a student not to talk of been a lecturer. And pls I will like somebody to prove me wrong with evidence.

1 Like

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by abbeyty(m): 1:10pm On Sep 03, 2016
the simple solution to this issue is that, let southern students stop enrolling in this school and let see if na cows the lectures go dey lecture

1 Like

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by superstarDikk(m): 1:14pm On Sep 03, 2016
walemoney007:
Let all the federal university also terminate the contract of all northerners working in their school....simple
so u believe this shiit?...isokay
Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Omotaday(m): 1:17pm On Sep 03, 2016
dd
Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 03, 2016
sageer1706:
The problem with us is that we are too sentiment in our judgment, in my school (usman danfodio uni sokoto) there are so many christians and southerners as lecturer (DRs and PROFs) infact with juicy positions, the likes of NSUKA, uniben, UI, abraka etc I can tell u that u will hardly find a northerner been admitted as a student not to talk of been a lecturer. And pls I will like somebody to prove me wrong with evidence.

you wont find them there because these places have been rendered economically and aesthetically unappealing by proponents of "one nige***" due to many years of neglect by their [FG?].
Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Henon: 1:23pm On Sep 03, 2016
This is just the beginning.
Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by vislabraye(m): 1:24pm On Sep 03, 2016
Let us all blame Gej...
Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by Uchexxy(m): 1:25pm On Sep 03, 2016
Edum13656:
Dear Admin. If u bar me from this blog again for saying my mind, I will take u to court. There is freedom of speech in Nigeria.U can take the blog off the internet orl relocate to North Korea.
honestly I don't know why they keep banning ppl for saying their mind.. .....it's really not nice seun. why do u give us the option of making a comment and still ban ppl for saying their mind not cool at all seun

1 Like

Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by gidjah(m): 1:39pm On Sep 03, 2016
I think its an all gobround issue.most of our institution of learning in naija are all messed up with ethnicism o.so no crying foul or fowl!!
Re: Ethno-religious Cleansing Of Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State by dokiOloye(m): 1:41pm On Sep 03, 2016
TeamSimple:
OP please i need you to do a research on Nsukka and tell me how many Norther Muslims we have in the university. Please i beg you, be objective.
No insults pls..just a question
Hw many northern muslims go to Nsukka to apply?
That shld b d 1st question.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Federal Polytechnic,ede,osun State.2012/2013 Admissions. / ICPC Arraigns Balogun Olaniran (TASUED Lecturer) For Sexual Harassment / Strange People I Met Back Then In School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.