Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith (6779 Views)

Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Why No Christian Lady Should Ever Marry An Atheist!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by johnydon22(m): 10:18am On Sep 09, 2016
ireneony:
the most important thing is if he's good man and he respect.
there are good and bad atheist.

Ur aim should be the good one not the bad

Thank you for this sister - there are good people and bad people whether they have a belief or not.

Our belief or non belief do not make us good or bad, it is our actions towards others.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 09, 2016
johnydon22:

Exactly my brother - but it is still wrong for 2dugged to equate atheism with women equality though.

While most atheists are champions of women equality because most adopt a secular view of the world and ethics, i also think it is not just a religious issue but also a cultural thing so an atheist can still hold that "Masculine dominating" mindset.

As well as a religious person can also see women as equals - it's an intricate ground.
Yes. Respect is the key to imbuing a good relationship. If both parties respect each other, gender equality wouldn't be an issue. Both spouses should have intimate love and would overlook minor mistakes. But I feel surpressing a woman is wrong. Women have delicate emotions and should be respected. And the bible admonishes men to love their wives and respect them.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by malvisguy212: 10:21am On Sep 09, 2016
2dugged:
Even though you didn't answer my question,but it seems you already concluded that marrying an atheist is turning one's back on God, are you then saying that marrying an unbeliever is an automatic ticket to hell?
the reason I ignore your question is because you are exaggerating. Are you saying that it is only in church that unmarried youth are much ? How do you come to this conclusion ?

Am not saying marrying an atheist is ticket to hell. do you think marrying an atheist will solve your problem ? Have you heard of this proverb " the devil you know is better than the angel you don't know ? do you know the atheists more than you know the christians ? Marrying an atheist, don't you think you are marrying a stranger who you don't really know ?

1 Like

Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by johnydon22(m): 10:22am On Sep 09, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Yes. Respect is the key to imbuing a good relationship. If both parties respect each other, gender equality wouldn't be an issue. Both spouses should have intimate love and would overlook minor mistakes. But I feel surpressing a woman is wrong. Women have delicate emotions and should be respected. And the bible admonishes men to love their wives and respect them.

Excellent - Belief is a trivial issue to me when it comes to a relationship.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 09, 2016
johnydon22:

Thank you for this sister - there are good people and bad people whether they have a belief or not.

Our belief or non belief do not make us good or bad, it is our actions towards others.

Very true. Believe me when I say as a Christian, I have seen Christians worst than barbarians.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by dadabashua1(m): 10:29am On Sep 09, 2016
OP... if you believe in atheism and have no problem with your kids being one also.. then is up to you and your choice to make... . but if not pray u find someone good enough to help u build on your faith... I believe beliefs should not be imposed on anyone
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by johnydon22(m): 10:30am On Sep 09, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Very true. Believe me when I say as a Christian, I have seen Christians worst than barbarians.

Exactly did you see my email address on the other thread bro? i will be waiting for your mail
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Seun(m): 10:38am On Sep 09, 2016
2dugged:
I would like to point out that this is my personal opinion, I know the bible admonishes us to not be equally yoked with unbelievers,but looking at the pros and cons, it will be more advantageous as a woman to marry an atheist than to marry from another faith considering that doctrines of religions are anti-women and tend to portray the woman as inferior
An atheist husband would try to prevent you from forcing your children to go to church, and wouldn't go with you. How do you feel about that?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Nobody: 10:44am On Sep 09, 2016
johnydon22:

Exactly did you see my email address on the other thread bro? i will be waiting for your mail
I sure did. I would mail you as soon as possible but I am still a candidate and I don't have a laptop yet.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 09, 2016
Seun:

An atheist husband would try to prevent you from forcing your children to go to church, and he won't go with you. How do you feel about that?
like I said, i have weighed the pros and cons, when one is presented with two bad choices, one has to go for the not so bad,I will rather have my children be atheist than religious extremists and fantastics

1 Like

Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by joseph1832(m): 10:55am On Sep 09, 2016
Seun:

An atheist husband would try to prevent you from forcing your children to go to church, and he won't go with you. How do you feel about that?
Not always true. Some atheist husbands don't prevent their wives from going to church, they rather encourage it.

I have atheist friends whose wives go to church with their kids.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 09, 2016
malvisguy212:
the reason I ignore your question is because you are exaggerating. Are you saying that it is only in church that unmarried youth are much ? How do you come to this conclusion ?

Am not saying marrying an atheist is ticket to hell. do you think marrying an atheist will solve your problem ? Have you heard of this proverb " the devil you know is better than the angel you don't know ? do you know the atheists more than you know the christians ? Marrying an atheist, don't you think you are marrying a stranger who you don't really know ?
it's an observation I have made over time,even when growing up, though it's not that common as in the 90s when there was a strict rule in these churches for sisters to marry from the same denomination,and you still don't get my point, marrying a believer will not make me immune to problems either
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by dadabashua1(m): 10:57am On Sep 09, 2016
2dugged:
like I said, i have weighed the pros and cons, when one is presented with two bad choices, one has to go for the not so bad,I will rather have my children be atheist than religious extremists and fantastics
all the best sister if that will make you happy..
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Sveen: 11:29am On Sep 09, 2016
2dugged:
What if your friends or parent were to ask about his religion, what will you tell them? Are you willing to defend him? And erm, atheist are not really much in our society, how do you intend to find one?
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Seun(m): 11:55am On Sep 09, 2016
joseph1832:
Not always true. Some atheist husbands don't prevent their wives from going to church, they rather encourage it. I have atheist friends whose wives go to church with their kids.
That's why I said he will try to prevent the wife from forcing the children to go to church. Sometimes you try and you don't succeed.

Sveen:
And erm, atheist are not really much in our society, how do you intend to find one?
The answer is quite obvious, isn't it? cool

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 09, 2016
Sveen:
What if your friends or parent were to ask about his religion, what will you tell them? Are you willing to defend him? And erm, atheist are not really much in our society, how do you intend to find one?
well, the only people I owe an explanation are my family members, all I have to say to them is that.he doesn't go to church, simple

1 Like

Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by UyiIredia(m): 2:19pm On Sep 09, 2016
Sveen:

On Nairaland. Nigerian atheists flock around Nairaland. She can pick and choose from the many male atheists on NL.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Sveen: 2:28pm On Sep 09, 2016
UyiIredia:

On Nairaland. Nigerian atheists flock around Nairaland. She can pick and choose from the many male atheists on NL.
Well, almost 50-60 percent of relationships nowadays started on social media.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by HCpaul(m): 3:30pm On Sep 09, 2016
Davash222:
No problem

But please don't come and disturb us at SHILOH 2030grin

Exactly! Shiloh is meant to renew your problems every year. To create primitive problems and attempt to provide solutions to them.

To aggravate the whole foolishness, you will ended up emptying your bank account for the sake of Shiloh sacrificial seed and the African Bishop business magnate 'Oyedepo' will be laughing in his private jet at the delusive emotional act of the people of Africa towards religion.

I heard that he once told his congregations that God told him to go back to Africa to make his people rich.
This prompted me to ask exactly that 'who are his people?'

He returned back to Africa because he his a sharp business man who knew that his ultimate goal of becoming the richest pastor in the whole world won't be achieved in the US because they ain't as deluded as the primitive folks of Africa.

That was a regular prediction and not a prophecy.

Keep going to the same place every year for the sake of religion. The winners kind of Christianity is even questionable cuz I can't just imagine a man who intentionally slapped a young girl on the alter is still regarded as a pastor instead of publicly recognizing him as a religious terrorist.

2 Likes

Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by malvisguy212: 3:36pm On Sep 09, 2016
2dugged:
it's an observation I have made over time,even when growing up, though it's not that common as in the 90s when there was a strict rule in these churches for sisters to marry from the same denomination,and you still don't get my point, marrying a believer will not make me immune to problems either
by implication, marrying a non believer will not make you immune to problem/ sin either. So why are you trying to put the blame to believers only ? So you visit ALL the churches around Nigeria including atheists community and you come to the this conclusion ? Okay, your opinion is noted. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by joywendy(f): 6:24pm On Sep 09, 2016
Out of topic...sorry op...

Seeing this thread, I just wonder why we have religious/theist women willing to marry an atheist/agnostic man than a theist/religious man willing to marry an atheistic/agnostic woman.

Why is it usually the other way round? I think that would be a nice topic to discuss one of these days....For now watching and observing with my zobo and cake...grin

To add to this....
Though I understand where the op is heading to, but please remove the notion that all atheist are logical, not all are logical, we still have some bigots among them and some sexist,racist,tribalitic,homophobic,etc That's just a big misconception, that they are 'all' open minded and free. Some are just like the religious fanatics, it finally just boils down to an individual's mindset and personality.....Don't judge a person because of their lack/belief in God....it just reinforces stereotypes. #myonekobo

Goes back to zobo and cake grin

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by raphieMontella: 12:07am On Sep 10, 2016
dadabashua1:
can you give me the scientific prove behind love...how does it come to existence pls....? I want evidence not natural slogan
comon bro'..
Oxytocin...
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by dadabashua1(m): 12:13am On Sep 10, 2016
raphieMontella:

comon bro'..
Oxytocin...
lol....are we talking about pregnant woman during birth.. funny sha
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by raphieMontella: 12:20am On Sep 10, 2016
dadabashua1:
lol....are we talking about pregnant woman during birth.. funny sha
oxytocin is ''general''
there no distinct ''chemo'' for relationships another for se.x etc
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by dadabashua1(m): 12:28am On Sep 10, 2016
raphieMontella:

oxytocin is ''general''
there no distinct ''chemo'' for relationships another for se.x etc
is better u mention the sex hormones even with that they can't be refred to as love hormones... talking of the progesterone, oestrogen etc the 'love' hormones calling of oxytocin is just a swagger name... lol
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by honourhim: 12:36am On Sep 10, 2016
2dugged:
I would like to point out that this is my personal opinion, I know the bible admonishes us to not be equally yoked with unbelievers,but looking at the pros and cons, it will be more advantageous as a woman to marry an atheist than to marry from another faith considering that doctrines of religions are anti-women and tend to portray the woman as inferior

You are still talking as a novice. Enter marriage first then your eye go clear. You will still come back to edit this post. The logic of atheists is only about no God so dont be deceived by their noise about logic.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Jay542(m): 12:52am On Sep 10, 2016
2dugged:
I have actually thought of this very deeply, and as a Christian I have seen so called brothers in Christ who are far worse than an atheist and considering the fact that marrying a believer doesn't make your marriage immune to problems, I would rather marry a man who has a logical approach to life than cross over from one religion to another with the same anti-women doctrine
Much respect for your decision. But you should know tha you guys must have a strong and respected priciple/doctrine guiding your marriage unless it would be easy to fall.
Religion has it good effect on marriages. Patners cannot be at par with eachother cos decision making will be a problem when ideas conflict eachother.
Cos religion didn't give women ruling power doesn't make it anti_women. Understand the benefits of men and women, you'll most likly reverse that statement.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by honourhim: 1:06am On Sep 10, 2016
2dugged:
I know the principles behind asking right and praying amiss Mr,and I have also seen Christian sisters who turned old in the church because they were waiting on the right man,mostly ladies in assemblies of God,Rccg, Lords choosen and some others too,so my own question is why are advanced spinsters common to some churches?, is it that the God of this churches choose not to answer because they are all praying amiss?, I created this thread because I have been.in deep thoughts for days about this issue, but a a fellow Christian who feels I am going the wrong path, it will be better to point me in the right direction than being sentimental about it

One of the factors that causes the bolded is that some of these churches insist that their men must marry their women members and vice versa. But the truth is that a lot of those guys dont keep to this rules these days rather they go and marry ladies outside their church. Who then will marry the ladies in the church who are trying to keep to the rule? My own stand about this is that there is no where God told us in the bible to marry our church members. We are only advised to marry among the people of God.

Again some of those sisters are practicing over holiness which makes them to have some characteristics that the brothers may not find comfortable with. The bible said- let your MODERATION be known unto all. Dont over do things, be moderate. Ironically many of the over-holy sisters will not want to marry over holy brothers rather they will be eying the cute looking and not-too-holy brothers.
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Funjosh(m): 6:38am On Sep 10, 2016
2dugged:

Congratulations Seun is still single cheesy
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by raphieMontella: 6:45am On Sep 10, 2016
dadabashua1:
is better u mention the sex hormones even with that they can't be refred to as love hormones... talking of the progesterone, oestrogen etc
''bond'' hormones would be better?
The main shvt in a relationship is the ''bond''
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by dadabashua1(m): 9:20am On Sep 10, 2016
raphieMontella:
''bond'' hormones would be better? The main shvt in a relationship is the ''bond''
abi o... lol
Re: I Would Rather Marry An Atheist Than A Man From Another Faith by Nobody: 9:35am On Sep 10, 2016
johnydon22:

You mean teachings like these

Surah 4:34
"Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given
one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from
their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding
in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard.
But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise
them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally],
strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means
against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand."

and this

Timothy 2 :11 -15
" A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not
permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she
must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam
was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and
became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if
they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety."

These books are your models on how to treat women? then i'll say you have no idea how to treat women because the obvious misogyny emanating from these makes women no less than a property.

No wonder Pastor Chris likened husband and wife to Master and servant position...

Considering women inferior creatures is that good for the world?

So you need to believe in a certain entity's existence before you can figure out you should

-Love
-Respect
-worship
-cherish

Your wife?

That is the saddest life on can think of, since you cannot figure out on your own from your independent reason how to treat others in a relationship but rely on old archaic outdated books written in an era that you are way ahead of both intellectually and technologywise.

This is 2016 not BC's brother.

You do not need a book to tell you how to treat your wife, if you cannot figure out how to treat a woman in your life on your own without a book written by men with numerous wives telling you - then i believe you need help.

If the books with the verses up there are your models for how to treat women then i am 100% sure you do not know how to treat women.

A relationship is a mutual ground that require mutual love and respect, compromises, trust, loyalty and reverence for each other

I don't need any God to tell me that because frankly the God(s) in those books up there got it all wrong.
Are you married? grin grin I bet some nairaland babes have started eyeing you grin after this wonderful post

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Pastor Patrick Anwuzia Down With Kidney And Liver Failure, Seeks Help / Picture Of Pastor Oritsejafor's Wife Limousine / Happy 60th Birthday Dr Olukoya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.