Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World (54118 Views)

Meet Amancio Ortega: The Richest Man In The World. / Amancio Ortega Becomes The Richest Man In The World / Jeff Bezos Overtakes Bill Gates To Become World's Richest Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Ephramed(m): 7:02am On Sep 10, 2016
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by rosieflower2(f): 7:02am On Sep 10, 2016
Very inspiring story
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Utchgirl(f): 7:02am On Sep 10, 2016
Sombody shld plz remind Bubu dt no condition is permanent
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by AreaFada2: 7:04am On Sep 10, 2016
bigtt76:
Wonder why Nigeria didn't invest in all these stocks sef angry All they know is share from Federation account week in week out chopping free money angry #ediots

So you mean Buhari or the ones who kicked him out or Shagari that usurped Awo's presidency should have been smart enough to think of sovereign wealth fund? Even OBJ never had such sense in both times in office.

When mediocre people lead, what do you expect. I would hv expected that from Awo, Maitama Sule and a few others.

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by manando1(m): 7:04am On Sep 10, 2016
MMM sef dey ooo lipsrsealed
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Adeyeni6: 7:08am On Sep 10, 2016
Nice one
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by rashkidjnr: 7:08am On Sep 10, 2016
Lalasticlala........... I will soon overtake him when cement is been sold at the price of #1200
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by osarenmwienda(f): 7:08am On Sep 10, 2016
okay
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Phranex(m): 7:08am On Sep 10, 2016
Greyworld:
I just have to invest in something today. Anybody with a bright idea?

If you have the money and stay in ibadan.. I could serve as a busimes consultant for you and we could be on our way to be leaders in both tech and agricultural sector
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by pinkguy(m): 7:08am On Sep 10, 2016
Woow my coolnaria.comm
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by lawani: 7:11am On Sep 10, 2016
bigtt76:
Wonder why Nigeria didn't invest in all these stocks sef angry All they know is share from Federation account week in week out chopping free money angry #ediots

If Nigerian govt owned controlling shares in any company, that company would be run down in months.

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by bigerboy200: 7:13am On Sep 10, 2016
Greyworld:
Invest in my music career biko... sad
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Tedassie(m): 7:13am On Sep 10, 2016
Carlos Slim Helu,where art thou?
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by deLogo(m): 7:13am On Sep 10, 2016
:oDelogo snooped in this thread too
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Julietcutie(f): 7:14am On Sep 10, 2016
sorry Bill Gates... grin
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by otokx(m): 7:15am On Sep 10, 2016
Bill Gates is really an inspiring personality.

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Codes151(m): 7:16am On Sep 10, 2016
mrkayusfit:
While in Nigeria GEJ foolishly empowered touts and non entities like tompolo and Asari and made them billionaires without any source of income than sabotaging our collective oil wealth. They think they own the oil because it falls in their region forgetting that as long as we remain one Nigeria, we all own the oil.

Too many irresponsible billionaires in nigeria sad
the first paragraph is epic rubbish contributed by morning sickness! You go about accusing people of crimes! Are you okay? Get ur facts straight! Lucky the past administration was fair, I hope u will run ur mouth like this with APC! A trend about billionaires n ur here talking shit! How rich was dangote then and how is he now? Poverty is a disease!

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by donestk(m): 7:17am On Sep 10, 2016
Beginning with less than $100, he and his wife Rosalia Mera began making lingerie, pajamas and nightgowns in their living room.

Cc: Nigerian gold digger bitcheees

2 Likes

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by yolanda233(m): 7:19am On Sep 10, 2016
Very very soon,Gates will regain his position
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by gist4kidsblog: 7:20am On Sep 10, 2016
Greyworld:
Yes contact me on 08085310359 let me intro to online legit business
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by aflame100(m): 7:22am On Sep 10, 2016
[quote author=fkpboss post=49210329]Amancio Ortega, the Spanish retail genius who started Zara, passed Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates to become the richest man in the world on Wednesday. Shares of Ortega’s business Inditex, parent company to Zara, Massimo Dutti and Pull&Bear, ticked up 2.5% Wednesday, boosting his personal fortune by $1.7 billion. That lifted Ortega’s net worth from $77.8 billion to $79.5 billion. Gates is worth an estimated $78.5 billion.

The son of a railway worker from La Coruña, Spain, Ortega is as reclusive as he is rich. He started his career as a store clerk in his hometown before opening his own business. Beginning with less than $100, he and his wife Rosalia Mera began making lingerie, pajamas and nightgowns in their living room.

In 1975, the couple (who eventually divorced) decided to open a store named Zara. Eight years later, Ortega had expanded to nine locations around Spain. In 1984, he opened a 10,000 square foot logistics hub.
Unlike most retailers, Inditex hardly relies on advertising. Ortega has instead devoted most of his resources into turning his company into the most efficient retailing operation in the world. When companies like Gap and H&M were taking five months to design, make, distribute and sell new products in the early 2000s, Zara was doing it in three weeks. That meant Ortega’s companies could keep up with the whims of shoppers much more easily than its competitors — and also had to spend less on warehousing.

Ortega took the business public in 2001 and debuted on the Forbes billionaires list the same year, with a net worth of $6.6 billion. By then, Gates was already the richest man in the world, with a fortune of $58.7 billion.

From 2001 to 2002, as most billionaires struggled to hold onto their riches amid the dot-com crash, Ortega gained an additional $2.5 billion and became the world’s 25th-richest man. He repeated the trick seven years later, when the world plunged into crisis. From 2009 to 2013, while the Spanish economy was reeling, Ortega personally gained $39 billion.

Ortega briefly took the title of world’s richest man for the first time in October 2015, when Inditex shares hit an all-time high and boosted Ortega’s net worth to $80 billion. But the stock quickly dipped, and Gates once again claimed the throne. The two billi
Oneonaires will likely continue to exchange the title as the stock prices of their holdings continue to bounce up and down.
Gates has donated nearly $31 billion in stock and cash to his foundation over his lifetime. If the Microsoft cofounder were not such a prolific philanthropist, neither Ortega nor anyone else on Earth would be anywhere close to as rich as Gates.
[/quote

One day I will be the richest person on earth.
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by charleff512(m): 7:26am On Sep 10, 2016
bigtt76:

Your comment got me thinking.I keep wondering why Dangote,Gates and Ortega will be richer than a nation in terms of investments.
Na money wey them no work for them sabi share.When dem get their portions na to put am for project wey dem no go fit complete.God help our country!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by masterpix(m): 7:28am On Sep 10, 2016
mrkayusfit:
While in Nigeria GEJ foolishly empowered touts and non entities like tompolo and Asari and made them billionaires without any source of income than sabotaging our collective oil wealth. They think they own the oil because it falls in their region forgetting that as long as we remain one Nigeria, we all own the oil.

And the hate continue why they make their money. You can use the lagoon

Too many irresponsible billionaires in nigeria sad
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by daisyella: 7:29am On Sep 10, 2016
donestk:
Beginning with less than $100, he and his wife Rosalia Mera began making lingerie, pajamas and nightgowns in their living room.

Cc: Nigerian gold digger bitcheees
Every relationship is unique, there's no need for comparison.
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by teric4love(m): 7:30am On Sep 10, 2016
God please bless my hustle......

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by mekleelex200(m): 7:36am On Sep 10, 2016
I want to be a billionaire so F*cking bad, Father please protect me from BROKENESS.
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Romzy26: 7:38am On Sep 10, 2016
temmypotter:
hmmmm, only for the moment. Bill is surely gonna top again and soon too. classic example of who God has blessed
hope you know Bill is an atheist, can we still say God blessed him?
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by webarse: 7:39am On Sep 10, 2016
[quote author=aflame100 post=49228222][/quote]
One day I will quote you if you don't.
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Eliteklaus(m): 7:39am On Sep 10, 2016
Forbes has already released dia ranking naming Gates richest man for 2016 with over 90billion, so pls where op for get this very special rankings?

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by danbrowndmf(m): 7:40am On Sep 10, 2016
Greyworld:
i have a very bright one. Need at least 200k to start up. I'm in porthacourt. We can talk via mail if u ready.
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by oz4real83(m): 7:41am On Sep 10, 2016
Some things i love so much about these foreign rich men is that u can easily trace the history of how they made their money and u can learn from them. u can study them from the time they had nothing, became millionaires to billionaires. They also agree publicly about their status. Nigerian richmen are otherwise. u never know how they started. most dont even have business addresses!!! They are always friends with any govt in power. Too Many "0VER-NIGHT RICHMEN" Most times they are richer than forbes' richest men but u cant find their names on forbe's list!!!

2 Likes

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by AzizG550(m): 7:42am On Sep 10, 2016
begood2GEJ:
And who overtakes Buhari as the most tyrannical civilian president
After BUHARI it's BUHARI. He wins the league back to back

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abuja Chinese Supermarket Shuts Doors / Banks Charge Customers For Failed Transactions / Today's Naira Rate Against Dollar, Pound And Euro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.