Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,652 members, 7,820,264 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World (54116 Views)

Meet Amancio Ortega: The Richest Man In The World. / Amancio Ortega Becomes The Richest Man In The World / Jeff Bezos Overtakes Bill Gates To Become World's Richest Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Orikinla(m): 7:44am On Sep 10, 2016
fkpboss:
Amancio Ortega, the Spanish retail genius who started Zara, passed Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates to become the richest man in the world on Wednesday. Shares of Ortega’s business Inditex, parent company to Zara, Massimo Dutti and Pull&Bear, ticked up 2.5% Wednesday, boosting his personal fortune by $1.7 billion. That lifted Ortega’s net worth from $77.8 billion to $79.5 billion. Gates is worth an estimated $78.5 billion.

The son of a railway worker from La Coruña, Spain, Ortega is as reclusive as he is rich. He started his career as a store clerk in his hometown before opening his own business. Beginning with less than $100, he and his wife Rosalia Mera began making lingerie, pajamas and nightgowns in their living room.

In 1975, the couple (who eventually divorced) decided to open a store named Zara. Eight years later, Ortega had expanded to nine locations around Spain. In 1984, he opened a 10,000 square foot logistics hub.
Unlike most retailers, Inditex hardly relies on advertising. Ortega has instead devoted most of his resources into turning his company into the most efficient retailing operation in the world. When companies like Gap and H&M were taking five months to design, make, distribute and sell new products in the early 2000s, Zara was doing it in three weeks. That meant Ortega’s companies could keep up with the whims of shoppers much more easily than its competitors — and also had to spend less on warehousing.

Ortega took the business public in 2001 and debuted on the Forbes billionaires list the same year, with a net worth of $6.6 billion. By then, Gates was already the richest man in the world, with a fortune of $58.7 billion.

From 2001 to 2002, as most billionaires struggled to hold onto their riches amid the dot-com crash, Ortega gained an additional $2.5 billion and became the world’s 25th-richest man. He repeated the trick seven years later, when the world plunged into crisis. From 2009 to 2013, while the Spanish economy was reeling, Ortega personally gained $39 billion.

Ortega briefly took the title of world’s richest man for the first time in October 2015, when Inditex shares hit an all-time high and boosted Ortega’s net worth to $80 billion. But the stock quickly dipped, and Gates once again claimed the throne. The two billionaires will likely continue to exchange the title as the stock prices of their holdings continue to bounce up and down.
Gates has donated nearly $31 billion in stock and cash to his foundation over his lifetime. If the Microsoft cofounder were not such a prolific philanthropist, neither Ortega nor anyone else on Earth would be anywhere close to as rich as Gates.
Ortega is a greedy billionaire.

Gates and Zuckerberg are the most generous billionaires.
In fact, Mark Zuckerberg has given more than 90% of his wealth for philanthropy. He is currently the most generous billionaire in the world.

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by aku626(m): 7:45am On Sep 10, 2016
Bill would always be my favorite simply cause his done so much for this world especially NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by stchinedu: 7:51am On Sep 10, 2016
raker300:
Waiting for APC loyalists to tell us how dangote should not feel bad because even bill Gates lost a few coins
abi o!

Dangote lost a few coins, lost his position as the richest man in Africa and suddenly increased the price of cement by a staggering percentage in order to "reclaim his position" as the richest man in Africa. Thus, making the common man to pay heavily.

2 Likes

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Larryfest(m): 7:52am On Sep 10, 2016
Money money money...... Too much money
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by duullie88(m): 7:52am On Sep 10, 2016
Turks:
People get money sha. With little or no scandal..Trust a Nigerian millionaire..Scandals upon scandals.

They have too much money to be in the news for wrong reasons

2 Likes

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by pascal558(m): 7:53am On Sep 10, 2016
mrkayusfit:
While in Nigeria GEJ foolishly empowered touts and non entities like tompolo and Asari and made them billionaires without any source of income than sabotaging our collective oil wealth. They think they own the oil because it falls in their region forgetting that as long as we remain one Nigeria, we all own the oil.

Too many irresponsible billionaires in nigeria sad
bro God will bless u for me,if I tell this to those pdp followers in esistate they bw like no apc caused this hunger

2 Likes

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by duullie88(m): 7:53am On Sep 10, 2016
Bill gate will bounce back if he wants... D ortega guy can't give to charity like bill gate does (e go feel am 4 e acct)
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by KingsleyTMTTM(m): 7:55am On Sep 10, 2016
well, bill gate literally own africa. he have done so much for africa than any other billionaire
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by birmingham04: 7:58am On Sep 10, 2016
Someone should tell me any men of God in the world who have the earth of giving like Bill Gate. 31 billion dollar for charity. Not all those who are calling father will inherit the kingdom of God except those who do the will of father. I am very sure Bill Gate no dey read Bible. When Bill Gate do good he feels good and when he do bad he feels bad that is Bill Gate religion. Without reading Holly Bible and Holly Qur'an sane person will know that doing good as a good reward.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 10, 2016
Wow. This is serious. Just last week, he was billions behind Gate. And he is ahead of him now. Chai!

The way these guys gain and lose billions ehnn
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Rapture4real(m): 8:00am On Sep 10, 2016
wildchild1:
The competition is high, Bill will bounce back definitely

I know we need a good economic climate for business to strive successfully but looking at the richest men in the world, they are business men, entrepreneurs.But we have graduates who are waiting to get a white collar jobs. I know they need capital to start with. But let every graduate see white collar job as temporary. Richest people in my family do not have complete WAEC, in fact the richest among the richest didn't stop at Primary school level. Education in Nigeria today is more or less an intellectual attainment than license to getting a job. Be encouraged God can help you to be employers of labour

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by delighteddell(m): 8:04am On Sep 10, 2016
From "less than $100" to "billion $". Another proof that anyone with d right mind can rise from nothing to something. But then watchout, Bill is gonna get back to d top ASAP.

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by cupidhero(m): 8:04am On Sep 10, 2016
In Zara i trust.
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by TolaniLuv: 8:04am On Sep 10, 2016
How much will he take with him on that last day ? Zerobillion cool

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Abayor7: 8:08am On Sep 10, 2016
Greyworld:
I just have to invest in something today. Anybody with a bright idea?
start with condom sale grin
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Biospnx(m): 8:08am On Sep 10, 2016
raker300:
Waiting for APC loyalists to tell us how dangote should not feel bad because even bill Gates lost a few coins
oga no vex o n its nt personal o.... jes so u knw i didn't vote last yr but did u sidon to think b4 posting dis at all? U gna account for the things you post
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Biospnx(m): 8:11am On Sep 10, 2016
mrkayusfit:
While in Nigeria GEJ foolishly empowered touts and non entities like tompolo and Asari and made them billionaires without any source of income than sabotaging our collective oil wealth. They think they own the oil because it falls in their region forgetting that as long as we remain one Nigeria, we all own the oil.

even tho I'll say yes but i realized i may v been one sided... . It's nt jes Gej or pdp dat has being dis.. . Maybe daz y Pmb launched #changebeginswith(you/me)
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by jozee8: 8:11am On Sep 10, 2016
wildchild1:
The competition is high, Bill will bounce back definitely
That's the real meaning of 'nothing last for ever'
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 10, 2016
if that guy were to be a Nigerian, he will be getting hate from every other person including people from his own tribesmen
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by ensamy(m): 8:17am On Sep 10, 2016
$79.5 billion Ortega. The source of thier wealth can be accounted for. Some Nigerians with ill gotten wealth have more than $79.5billion.
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 10, 2016
Amancio Ortega, the Spanish retail genius who started Zara, passed Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates to become the richest man in the world on Wednesday.

The son of a railway worker from La Coruña, Spain, Ortega is as reclusive as he is rich. He started his career as a store clerk in his hometown before opening his own business.

Beginning with less than $100, he and his wife Rosalia Mera began making lingerie, pajamas and nightgowns in their living room.

In 1975, the couple (who eventually divorced) decided to open a store named Zara. Eight years later, Ortega had expanded to nine locations around Spain. In 1984, he opened a 10,000 square foot logistics hub.
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Biospnx(m): 8:21am On Sep 10, 2016
PassingShot:

Nigerian children (youths but behave like children grin) will rather curse and complain online. Hunger never wire una!

i do not agree wt u sir. Things r far different from hw they were..
I. E value of life n cash
Opportunity n stuffs.
My dad built his first house at age 22 even without attending any sec school... u knw y? Opportunity or probability of success was higher even for lil effort. Now transform this 1naira use to be 1 dollar. Now 400. Dats y u gonna c dat anyone in dis 50s to range of 70s dat struggle wt any kinda effort to go to sch is d richest ryt nw... Graduates was scares but bro 2yrs nw i neva get beta job
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by addyar: 8:22am On Sep 10, 2016
fkpboss:
Amancio Ortega, the Spanish retail genius who started Zara, passed Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates to become the richest man in the world on Wednesday. Shares of Ortega’s business Inditex, parent company to Zara, Massimo Dutti and Pull&Bear, ticked up 2.5% Wednesday, boosting his personal fortune by $1.7 billion. That lifted Ortega’s net worth from $77.8 billion to $79.5 billion. Gates is worth an estimated $78.5 billion.

The son of a railway worker from La Coruña, Spain, Ortega is as reclusive as he is rich. He started his career as a store clerk in his hometown before opening his own business. Beginning with less than $100, he and his wife Rosalia Mera began making lingerie, pajamas and nightgowns in their living room.

Unlike most retailers, Inditex hardly relies on advertising. Ortega has instead devoted most of his resources into turning his company into the most efficient retailing operation in the world. When companies like Gap and H&M were taking five months to design, make, distribute and sell new products in the early 2000s, Zara was doing it in three weeks. That meant Ortega’s companies could keep up with the whims of shoppers much more easily than its competitors — and also had to spend less on warehousing.

Ortega took the business public in 2001 and debuted on the Forbes billionaires list the same year, with a net worth of $6.6 billion. By then, Gates was already the richest man in the world, with a fortune of $58.7 billion.

From 2001 to 2002, as most billionaires struggled to hold onto their riches amid the dot-com crash, Ortega gained an additional $2.5 billion and became the world’s 25th-richest man. He repeated the trick seven years later, when the world plunged into crisis. From 2009 to 2013, while the Spanish economy was reeling, Ortega personally gained $39 billion.

Ortega briefly took the title of world’s richest man for the first time in October 2015, when Inditex shares hit an all-time high and boosted Ortega’s net worth to $80 billion. But the stock quickly dipped, and Gates once again claimed the throne. The two billionaires will likely continue to exchange the title as the stock prices of their holdings continue to bounce up and down.
Gates has donated nearly $31 billion in stock and cash to his foundation over his lifetime. If the Microsoft cofounder were not such a prolific philanthropist, neither Ortega nor anyone else on Earth would be anywhere close to as rich as Gates.
just don't know sha. Somepple are dedicated with what they do .invest and still are poor. Luck, I must say
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by ensamy(m): 8:23am On Sep 10, 2016
As a jew Bill Gates paid his tithes of $31 billion directly to charity organisation and not to one goddamn Pastor or church. With that God keep blessing and multiplying him with long life and prosperity.

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 10, 2016
mrkayusfit:

Hmmm, tompolo is a business man with many sources of income. His employees are more than most govt establishment . The no of engineers that he employs are imaginable. He also runs ferries.
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by olanshi: 8:26am On Sep 10, 2016

No one is as rich and Wealthy as Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria *The King of Coke*
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Yampotatocarrot(m): 8:27am On Sep 10, 2016
manando1:
MMM sef dey ooo lipsrsealed

Guy this MMM na for real? Dont want a Russian gun dealing dude to run away with ny money
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by PassingShot(m): 8:30am On Sep 10, 2016
Biospnx:
Opportunity n stuffs.
My dad built his first house at age 22 even without attending any sec school... u knw y? Opportunity or probability of success was higher even for lil effort. Now transform this 1naira use to be 1 dollar. Now 400. Dats y u gonna c dat anyone in dis 50s to range of 70s dat struggle wt any kinda effort to go to sch is d richest ryt nw... Graduates was scares but bro 2yrs nw i neva get beta job
Your last sentence supports my point that the youths of nowadays are too lazy. If I ask about what you can do, you will probably say you want to work in any blue chip company that pays 100k monthly. Why can't you think of what you can do with your own hands and brain to create wealth for yourself?

Irrespective of the value of the naira, millionaires are made daily. It shouldn't stop anyone from making it. Education is only a means to an end and not the other way round. Besides, not every graduate will work in an office.

That your dad could build a house at 22 without formal education is an indictment on you not doing anything with your life even after education. Education is meant to widen your thinking ability to succeed. Act now.

Let me give you a quick idea: get plain round neck polo shirts, get someone print the "Change Begins With Me" logo on them and sell for a profit. If you do that successfully, you have unlocked your breakthrough.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by mamajaz(f): 8:35am On Sep 10, 2016
mrkayusfit:

Why at you talking as if GEJ was the only offender? All of them - foolish and wicked leaders brought this country to where we are today...

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by rusher14: 8:36am On Sep 10, 2016
daisyella:

Where is the Rosalie today?they are divorced. Every relationship is unique, there's no need for comparison.

She's passed on.
Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 10, 2016
Biospnx:
Opportunity n stuffs.
Then start from somewhere and quit talking am a graduate am a graduate cos being a graduate doesn't guarantee food on the table. Get a skill. I know of a babe DT graduated . learnt sowing, started in their house. Today, she has many senegales abi Congolese under her employment and she now sows for creme de LA creme of the society. She never disappoints and makes sure ur cloth is ready in 2 weeks.

Someone I know went and learnt how to fix metrotile roof. He became very good at that and was using his exposure to get jobs. Today, he does everything in building. Food business is also a fast moving one. I know a guy DT started meshai in a container kiosk. They fry indomie and egg. From there, they started sharwama. Business was moving. He has gotten a bigger job but his sharwama and fast food biz is still growing. Lots of keke drivers in this town are graduates. One of them told me there is no day he doesn't make atleast 2k.The worst DT will happen is DT he will close late. It won't stop him from attending interviews in big companies when he gets one.
Start somewhere, and start now. There is no excuse.

1 Like

Re: Amancio Ortega Overtakes Bill Gates As The Richest Man In The World by rusher14: 8:38am On Sep 10, 2016
mercylicious:

Hmmm, tompolo is a business man with many sources of income. His employees are more than most govt establishment . The no of engineers that he employs are imaginable. He also runs ferries.

Abeg don't let me laugh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abuja Chinese Supermarket Shuts Doors / Banks Charge Customers For Failed Transactions / How Much Is Cooking Gas In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.