Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,186 members, 7,822,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? (164252 Views)

Construction Of A 5 Bedroom @ Lekki, Lagos / Can I Build A 5-bed Room Bungalow In Half Plot Of Land / A 5 bedroom duplex with BQ siting on a 400Sq meters@magodo phase 1, C/O .72m,, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Oballer: 9:15am On Sep 14, 2016
52Million for a bungalow

1) did you do piling?
2) Did you cast all the walls in concrete?
3) Are the windows and Doors bullet proof?
4) Is it built on water
5) plus external works and it is not yet done?
6) is it Julius Berger handling it?

52Million for this building that im looking at? 52M is no joke o brova.. it will build 4 shells of terrace flats in lekki phase 2 bruv...

ever811:
oga you lie..how how much will it cost to purchase the following alone..blocks,chipping stones,... ...cement for casting of foundation trenches,dpc slab,first floor slab,laying of blocks ,plastering, suckaway and tailing job.rood,wood for lintels,slab and roofing.roofing sheet..electrical material plumbing materials,..etc..baba 9m is just no where close pls..bellow is a bungalow we are currently working on,..the total cost for this bungalow is 52mill....

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Babayoutoomuch(f): 9:17am On Sep 14, 2016
lastpage:

First, as has been mentioned, the final cost will vary a lot and will depend on a lot of factors such that you cant compare your cost to that of others but what you can get is an "average".

For example, the type of soil on the land you bought (alone) can make a difference of #3Million Naira in your expenses.
Assuming you bought a "soft soil" land, compared to someone who bought a red-clay land.

The former's foundation would consume a lot of Iron, Cement, Granite and Stone-dust/Sharp Sand in building say a Raft foundation tha may be as high as 5ft minimum (to avoid future stories of the heart) while the latter's foundation may just be 2ft high without much reinforcement.
With current cost of Iron and Cement, l am sure you are getting my drift.

Having said that, if you are not the lazy type (and l dont think so otherwise you wont have been planning to build your own house), l would advice you to go to the property thread and READ, READ and READ building projects (especially the DIY ones where the owners double as the Supervisor grin ) and then cap it with the off-topic thread (you can always skip the wailing and rubbish post that wont contribute anything to your quest for knowledge) linked below

https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/general-topic-thread-to-discuss-anything

Knowledge is Power! These threads would make you a small "Pro" in no-time kiss kiss
If you are a novice to building (in terms of "basic knowledge"wink, expect to lose as much as 25% of your budget to greedy builders/Contractors who will eat you without mercy! (not all of them are guilty of this, there are some like Abdulwatexc who still do a good job for the money)
Inflation of cost of material, over-invoicing, over-inventory, buying lower quality than quoted, e.t.c are ways you will lose money, just to mention a few angry angry

You have seen how your "proposed cost is jumping from 9M to 20M to 25M to 30M already! grin grin

But dont let that dampen your spirit in anyway.
Just start and dont bite more than you can chew!

Your build wont be the best in Abeokuta and it won be the worst ......but do something you know you will COMPLETE in good time.
Dont over-build to impress anybody.

I can feel you are already feeling depressed by that 30Million mentioned cry cry

It all depends on you:

*Can you spare the EFFORT and the personal TIME to cut down cost (You can have an over-seeing consultant on a fixed payment based on site-visits..... not someone just collecting your money and staying-away from the site!)

* Be very careful with parting with money, especially to these Contractors on Nairaland!
Ask around, there are some Contractors l will not give my #3, not to talk of #30Million.
Ask around but for now, l have "very strong opinion" about Abdlwastexc and Spyder (search for the threads of these two, good builders and read)

I hope you realise that MONEY can cause enmity between you and your Uncle and Father-in-law?
My Mother use to tell me this: " Any amount of Money you cant forgo, dont lend it to a relation otherwise, you might have to chose between your money and your relation" .
Be careful in that area, l take God beg you. (Except you are a very, very "Cheerful Giver"wink undecided undecided

The cheapest part of the build is the block-work itself but it is what makes you think you are building a house as it springs into life.
Major areas of cost in "approximate percentages" are:

Foundation (13%), Blockwork (8%), Decking (11%), Roofing (10%) Windows and Doors (15%), Plastering and Tiling (20%), Plumbing, Soakaway and Electrics (10%), other Finishings (Painting, Compound, , e.t.c) 10%. Let us set aside another 3% for contigencies, totalling 100%.

Now, you can start work once you have 40% of the cost as cash and you have a steady stream of income, otherwise l would suggest you up it to about 60% but please, DONT overbuild to impress!
It is better you build to a scale your budget can accommodate within 12-16months max. (I know you said 6months grin ).

BTW: Five Bedroom Duplex is very good but do you by any chance have up to eight children or is it just your immediate family that will occupy that 5-Bed Duplex? Well, it is your first house so you want to impress yourself! grin grin

Hmmm.... 3-Bed Duplex with 2Units of 2 or 3-Bed Flats at the back will give you better value-for-money, give you flexibility with "sleep-ins" and will bring you income streams, when you discover that you dont need the "Big-Man" house that we all always start with.
I am speaking from experience
but l pray you will get there sooner than me and realise what l realised too late!
. grin grin

Dont mind me, l like to write too much.
I wish you all the strength and determination. Go for it.

Lastpage!

Caveat: I am not a builder/contractor and l am not selling anything o. shocked grin

Hmmmm! You REALLY sound matured, genuine and experienced.Pls can you tell which is BETTER Bungalow or Duplex money not a factor.Thanks.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by dapsonlou(m): 9:19am On Sep 14, 2016
My guy you can complete the building with 16m if you buy everything yourself. I finish 2 town house in Ojodu across from omole for 14m two years ago. This past Dec I build a 2bedroom and a storage room ( called is storage room because it's too small to be a room) behind my house at Aviation. It cost me 2m plus finishing. I saved money by using my back fence as the back wall.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Reference(m): 9:20am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
I recently bought a piece of land in a very good location in Abeokuta. In the process of getting the building plan approval. I intend to build a 5 bedroom duplex on the land but want to get ideas of how much it will likely cost me.

I am a bit inexperienced but have my father in law and my uncle running the errands for me.

My inital budget was 9 million but my father in law said it won't be enough. How much do Nairalanders think it will cost? I intend to finish this project within 6 months GOD willing.

grin 9 million eh. You want me to laugh. Did you say duplex or dupree.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 14, 2016

4 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Babayoutoomuch(f): 9:33am On Sep 14, 2016
eph12:

I guess you know the difference between bungalow and duplex?
Then how many are you in the family or how many people are you planning for?

We are family of five. My hubby is indifferent abt whichever I go for.But most of his colleagues are always talking of duplex. Since he has saddled me with that responsibility, I need advice on which to embark on.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Reference(m): 9:33am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Hmmmm? I will wait for more estimates but not looking good. My capacity is 16m. And have a high taste.

Now you are talking. 16 million can build you a 'basic' duplex equivalent to a Geely or Tata, 25 million will get you a duplex equivalent to a Hyundai or Ford. 35 million will get you a duplex equivalent to a Toyota or Volkswagen. 45 million will get you a duplex equivalent to an Infinity or Acura, 55 million will get you a duplex equivalent to a BMW or Mercedes. Anything above that for a 5 bedroom touches the realm of 'customised', 'handcrafted', 'designer' houses and you cannot build to budget and the time scale of 6 months you have is not feasible due to the intricate craftsmanship required. You just 'pay the bills'.... and oh, by the way, this was before Dangote's bumped up the price of cement.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Reference(m): 9:37am On Sep 14, 2016
eghosajohnny:
Sir for the 5bdrm duplex in abeokuta below is the breakdown of how I will handle it or guide you on expense to roofing and with this design below if you like it

Foundation: 1.8m
Block work to decking: 2.2m
Decking:2.3m
Block work to roof:2m
Roof wood work:700k
Parapet 700k
stonecoated roofing sheet:2.7m classic sheet
Plastering:850k
Casement window:750k
Artwork:250k

Total so far on this is 14.550m

Below is the 3d of the 5bdrm duplex any other question you can call or whatsapp me on 07031886484

But the important things that make a house are not mentioned. He wants to build a house to live in and not a shell. Is he a pigeon.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Reference(m): 9:41am On Sep 14, 2016
eghosajohnny:
Now since I've stated a breakdown to a point let's take it to finishing so there will be an idea of the amount to complete the project.

Pop:800k
Tiles 1.3m
Doors,800k making the entrance door 350k and others 450k
Electrical and fitting 600k
Plumbing and fitting 900k
Cabinet and wardrobe 700k
Rail and burglary 700k
Painting 600k
soakaway 300k

Total of this is 6.7m+14.5m=21.2m

Which I know is on the high side to me I believe with 19m the project can be delivered

Electrical and fittings 600,000 for a 5 bedrom duplex. Are you joking or what. 900,000 for the sanitary system, haba. These figures cannot even build the backbone of those services thoughtless of energising them, and fittings....duh. You must like poor quality, breakdown prone stuff.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by kentuta(m): 9:46am On Sep 14, 2016
koning:

You can complete it with N16m even with the current price of cement. Just be there and monitor things yourself. Buy materials yourself and hire and independent engineer to supervise. Do not give any builder cash to build and deliver. They will make a minimum of N5m on your head, especially when they know you have access to Dollar or Euro.

They work as a cartel here on NL and back each other up with the outrageous price quotation to make you believe it's genuine. A well trained craftsman can deliver a quality 5 bedroom duplex. Just do some research yourself and work with him. It's your house and you have the final decision.

Well trained craftsman you said.... No wonder buildings are collapsing here and there and some misguided fellows will be blaming Engineers... Op engage a professional

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Reference(m): 9:47am On Sep 14, 2016
zamirikpo:
@POSTER dont be discouraged, with 9m u can finish a 5 room duplex,what would be left wont be much, it all depends on the design and the person handling it. most times people take advantage of our ignorance.

i was opportuned to witness the building of a 4room duplex,(since january) the site engr is a christian brother, who was very honest to the point that he had serious battles with the carpenters and iron benders who came to do roofing and finishing. these guys where over billing the owner in excess of over 50% of the original cost,they do this mainly by over estimating the materials quoted for the job.outside the decking and foundation, a duplex is just a normal structure. the extra cost of decking and foundation wont be more than 3-4m. dont be deceived.

so far we have spent about 8m. we have roofed and paid for iron fittings, plumbing and electricals have also been done. the only major thing remaining is plastering and p.o.p. just like someone earlier posted 2.2m for block work from foundation to decking, thats over estimating excessively. the issue is, if u know nothing about buildings, then am sorry u would get ripped off.

if possible ,do extensive background checks by URSELF before embarking on any project....nairaland has so many threads that would teach u many things about building. and if u can ,always visit ur site, or have a trustworthy person supervise for u if u aint around.

finishing also matters.......if u are not tiling ur walls front and back with expensive tiles or skreding evry wall or installing jacuzzi's in evry toilet ,baba.....9m will almost do it.

Oga. He said he is interested in quality. You are interested in cost. Both of you are not on the same page. He wants a house that will last the full 50 years service life. Can you guarantee that with 9 million. There are houses and there are houses. I will advice anyone building. It is a life project, it is terribly expensive. DO IT WELL, ONCE AND FOR ALL. DEMAND QUALITY FIRST, FIRST, FIRST!!!!

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by gabe: 9:48am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Hmmmm? I will wait for more estimates but not looking good. My capacity is 16m. And have a high taste.
16mill 'll do. These items dont come from the sky. Their price dey market. try n supervise if you can. U r not a cripple
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by omotolarunsewe: 9:53am On Sep 14, 2016
You very right.you can always build a house with any amount depending on ur taste and level of supervision.
quote author=koning post=49334272]

You can complete it with N16m even with the current price of cement. Just be there and monitor things yourself. Buy materials yourself and hire and independent engineer to supervise. Do not give any builder cash to build and deliver. They will make a minimum of N5m on your head, especially when they know you have access to Dollar or Euro.

They work as a cartel here on NL and back each other up with the outrageous price quotation to make you believe it's genuine. A well trained craftsman can deliver a quality 5 bedroom duplex. Just do some research yourself and work with him. It's your house and you have the final decision.[/quote]
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by gabe: 9:53am On Sep 14, 2016
Reference:

Electrical and fittings 600,000 for a 5 bedrom duplex. Are you joking or what. 900,000 for the sanitary system, haba. These figures cannot even build the backbone of those services thoughtless of energising them, and fittings....duh. You must like poor quality, breakdown prone stuff.
we r talking wires, plastic pipes and wc. Fear God o
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Fadelex(m): 9:56am On Sep 14, 2016
Babayoutoomuch:

We are family of five. My hubby is indifferent abt whichever I go for.But most of his colleagues are always talking of duplex. Since he has saddled me with that responsibility, I need advice on which to embark on.
If the kids are still young, then you can go for a duplex as it would give them a sense of privacy while growing up, it also depend on the location, like in abuja here, no-one will give you approval for bungalow cuz of land scarcity. Duplex has many advantage, a good design of 4-bedroom, 2 living room, study, laundary, and a spacious compound will be good.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by HolyTitus(m): 9:56am On Sep 14, 2016
Some people are just saying different prices as if they're in a launching ceremony, that's how many so called builders/ engineers run into debt. How can you just pinpoint the actual price to construct a building project without its floor plan and the engineering drawing ? You don't even know the kind of Duplex the OP wants; maybe it's one with penthouse or not; maybe it's just a simple duplex or an exquisite one with each of the bedroom to have its own cubicle; you don't even know the number of columns yet. This ain't about over sabi; it's reality. Well, I wish the OP all the the best. ALL LOVE

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Reference(m): 10:00am On Sep 14, 2016
koning:

You Nairaland builders are a bunch of thieves. "N9M will only get you to window level downstairs". Are you serious?!!. I will never hire a builder from NL. They are all thieves targeting Nigerians in the Diaspora. Op, don't listen to this greedy bastard. With N5m you can conveniently get to Lintel level downstairs. I did it with that and was hugely ripped off as well by the builders and the suppliers. An honest bricklayer later confessed to me that when I order for 500 blocks, 300 will be supplied and laid before I show up. Making it impossible for me to accurately count the number.
With rigourous supervision it could have cost me N4m. NEVER TRUST ALL THESE SO CALLED BUILDERS, ENGINEERS AND CONTRACTORS HERE.

It is your fault. You should have engaged a proper team. Your ignorance and greed did you in. Use professionals. There is a reason they exist. The Quantity Surveyor is responsible for everything money. He tells you how much materials are required, how much they cost to fit and manages the sundries to a fixed budget. A good one will cost you anything about 10% of what you will potentially waste or lose on site. Use them.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Reference(m): 10:02am On Sep 14, 2016
skigbu:
This are my 3D design call me for your 3D designs 09081037402

How much do you do 3D's and can you produce them from existing 2D designs.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Dekadet(m): 10:02am On Sep 14, 2016
Braden102:
A 5000 square feet 5 bedroom duplex can be completed within 3 weeks .
thanks a lot Mr Braden for this lovely info. you see, information is the key. many of us here are just seeing these modern styles for the first time. we know the normal way politicians have been building houses with stolen wealth and the 'we must copy' mentality is killing us. I love this modern style and it quicker as I see it. so where can we get the estimate of these new lovely works u have here? thank you once again.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Babayoutoomuch(f): 10:03am On Sep 14, 2016
Fadelex:

If the kids are still young, then you can go for a duplex as it would give them a sense of privacy while growing up, it also depend on the location, like in abuja here, no-one will give you approval for bungalow cuz of land scarcity. Duplex has many advantage, a good design of 4-bedroom, 2 living room, study, laundary, and a spacious compound will be good.

Hmmmm! Thank you so much.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Reference(m): 10:04am On Sep 14, 2016
gabe:
we r talking wires, plastic pipes and wc. Fear God o

Plastic pipes, for what...ha. no wonder. Those things don't last. People have stopped using them years ago. You guys are just....
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Fadelex(m): 10:08am On Sep 14, 2016
I've actually taken my time to read all the responses on here and I believe everybody contributed based on their knowledge, I told the OP to budget upward of 25million depending on his taste. Let me state here that construction work is not a guessing work, it is a Precision work, that's why we have various professionals in the industry. No one can determine the cost of a project without a design. same design on different plots will even have varying cost not to talk of different design on different location. Most people talking do not even know the load-bearing capacity of the soil, what types of finishes, external works, administrative bottlenecks and other natural factors. It is better to learn instead of pretending to know it all. God bless y'all.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by deeLima86(m): 10:11am On Sep 14, 2016
One room apartment, fully tiled, running water, good road, close to major road, stable electricity. Location; Okeira  Bus stop. Ajah.

250k annually no agent wahala, direct contact. (08175522711)
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Reference(m): 10:13am On Sep 14, 2016
Oballer:
52Million for a bungalow

1) did you do piling?
2) Did you cast all the walls in concrete?
3) Are the windows and Doors bullet proof?
4) Is it built on water
5) plus external works and it is not yet done?
6) is it Julius Berger handling it?

52Million for this building that im looking at? 52M is no joke o brova.. it will build 4 shells of terrace flats in lekki phase 2 bruv...

That is quality and durability he is paying for. There are many bungalows out there that are better than those medium rise buildings dotting Onitsha, Enugu and other eastern states built, ten for a penny. It is a choice similar to the type of car you drive. Some just want something to take them to work and back, others want a ride to town in style. Some want a car to use and dispose after 12 months like a tissue, while others want a car their children's children can sell after 300 years for a hundred times the price purchased. Different strokes.....

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by mozel247: 10:21am On Sep 14, 2016
U must b kidding... 14m..? Just carcasses..? 2.2m for block work to decky level..? Are u importing ur blocks..people like u are reasons why developers go for masons and quacks. With 14m u should plaster, fix doors and windows, do pop and even tilling. Yes I mean it. I have done several jobs to standard. I have roof with 9m on two different site. I charge 10% for my fee outside the usual building cost.

eghosajohnny:
Sir for the 5bdrm duplex in abeokuta below is the breakdown of how I will handle it or guide you on expense to roofing and with this design below if you like it

Foundation: 1.8m
Block work to decking: 2.2m
Decking:2.3m
Block work to roof:2m
Roof wood work:700k
Parapet 700k
stonecoated roofing sheet:2.7m classic sheet
Plastering:850k
Casement window:750k
Artwork:250k

Total so far on this is 14.550m

Below is the 3d of the 5bdrm duplex any other question you can call or whatsapp me on 07031886484

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Reference(m): 10:23am On Sep 14, 2016
Fadelex:
I've actually taken my time to read all the responses on here and I believe everybody contributed based on their knowledge, I told the OP to budget upward of 25million depending on his taste. Let me state here that construction work is not a guessing work, it is a Precision work, that's why we have various professionals in the industry. No one can determine the cost of a project without a design. same design on different plots will even have varying cost not to talk of different design on different location. Most people talking do not even know the load-bearing capacity of the soil, what types of finishes, external works, administrative bottlenecks and other natural factors. It is better to learn instead of pretending to know it all. God bless y'all.

An experienced professional can 'guesstimate' to a certain degree of accuracy, depending on his 'experience' and sometimes this is sufficient for a prospector to take certain decisions, just as the poster appears to be. I understand in construction there is what is called preliminary estimate and at the very earliest it borders on 'speculation'. With more information coming from the client, the professionals are able to move to the next stage. If he has 9 million he can be told his limits. These matters are discussed in the opening exchanges of any project development. By the time he has a 'solid design' he will have spent money and may not be able to turn back.

It is like a doctor's call. An experienced physician or first responder can tell what could be possibly be wrong and this determines his next line of action which will be a thorough investigation.

Give the man an idea so he knows what to do next. And in my little experience and opinion 9 milion will not get him far.

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by twinskenny(m): 10:27am On Sep 14, 2016
Reference:

Hahaha I laugh at that 600k for electrical and fittings maybe surface wiring and Rechargeable light

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by twinskenny(m): 10:30am On Sep 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I see desperate people grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1nKR3gYRY8
lol baba we see them

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Building My 3 Bedroom Bungalow (the Apocalypse) / Noisy Sex: The Notice A Landlord Pasted At His House / Aloysius Nnamdi Ikegwuonu "Bishop" Building House In This Recession!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.