Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,475 members, 7,836,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. (12092 Views)

Sex For Marks: OAU VC Gives Update On Prof. Akindele / LAUTECH Students Post Obituary Of Their VC, Prof. Sulaiman Gbadegesin (Photo) / Please Help With My Research Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by bellong: 8:06am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife,

The Professor did not plagiarise your work. What you have explained is not plagiarism.

He is entitled to use the article as being part of the authors, it doesn't matter whether he is the main author or not.

In as much as your name remains in the article, he is acting within his entitlements. It becomes an offence when he completely change the author or ascribe the authorship to himself alone when referencing from it in another article.

You need to calm down and don't let your blood boil.

1 Like

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Firefire(m): 8:10am On Sep 13, 2016
OP, please share the link to the journal and we can better advise you from an informed position.

Thank you.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by AreaFada2: 8:11am On Sep 13, 2016
iHart:
How did you come to know that Prof C uploaded your article to several sites? Note that many site pick up article to archive in their site, especially when the article has a good impact and Lots of citations. Most of them do this to attract traffic to their website, i guess. since you remain the corresponding author in the files from those websites, nobody have plagiarised your work. This is just an exposure that is increasing your impact factor. Call the Prof and thank him.

These journals in india, fear them. Just give them your dollar, they will accept one article hundred times.

Talk to Dr B. He might have a better idea of the rules. What Prof C did might not be plagiarism yet. it might not affect your scholarship application if Dr B confirms you were the lead author.

Do not just sue or go to NUC right away. Easy does it.

1 Like

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Decibel: 8:12am On Sep 13, 2016
elhafeez:
OP there is no issue hear as long as your name is in the paper he uploaded there is no problem. any one citing that paper would use your name and add et al while referencing the work. this is not plagiarism because he was one of the authors on the paper. In academic as not as your name is in the authors list you were part of the work.
my thesis was published in a journal and my supervisors name was listed first. I didn't even add my second supervisor name to the list because infect he didn't contribute enough to the success of the research.
the second jounal paper he added my HOD's name to my research and my HOD didn't do anything. I confronted him and he said that that's how we do in academics and help each other. since them he started giving me other researches to edit, contribute and correct for publishing.
lesson Lernt: Next time when somebody didn't contribute enough to a research don't add their names while pubkishing.
Nigerians like adding people name to journals and paper without any contribution to the paper. very soon Nigerians would add their family members name to academic papers .

cheesy cheesy

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Ziondebade(m): 8:13am On Sep 13, 2016
Bros, what i think you should do is complain to Prof B. Depending on the outcome before you know ur next line of action. If he puts up 'e no concern me' attitude, then take the bull by its horn. I think Prof B, wont help much sha becos e wont like to letdown his fellow professor. But it is a necessary step you must take. Next action will be to complain to the culprit, Prof C, to fulfil all righteousness and it must be in letter format or audio recording if in person; but you must be polite. His explanation will make you know the next line of action to take. No one can tell, the one we are calling Judas might eventually be ur ladder to getting that scholarship.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Horlazuncanmi(m): 8:15am On Sep 13, 2016
Mail the site and upload the original PDF copy. I have a similar experience, my undergraduate work was published by my supervisor without putting my name as an author or co-author, colleagues at school said I should sue him, but I just let go of him. I meet him again when I was presenting a paper at an International Conference as the Chairman of the conference. My brother if you are going to pursue a career in Academics just don't confront him because you shall meet again.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 13, 2016
Jethrolite:
I feel so ashamed that a topic like this is coming up in our academic community. This is actually not a case of plagiarism but republishing. That is the reason I advised him to write those journals that published the work and show them the original link. This op de lie o, the more I think of it the more it is impossible. No journal will publish a paper with accepted date or in PDF format.

Oga Guitarlife, are you sure you are into research at all?
What really happened, come and say the truth.
I am trying hard not to mention names, but yes he did not tamper with the original material.

What he did was upload the article on academic sites but in so doing he did not mention my name as the author and while I published the article I made him author(2) but he uploaded same article to the web and now claimed he is author(1).

Thats academic dishonesty. Although the uploaded article bears my name, a look through google scholar still lists him as the main author and you wouldnt even find my name except you download the article.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Jethrolite(m): 8:17am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

I am trying hard not to mention names, but yes he did not tamper with the original material.

What he did was upload the article on academic sites but in so doing he did not mention my name as the author and while I published the article I made him author(2) but he uploaded same article to the web and now claimed he is author(1).

Thats academic dishonesty. Although the uploaded article bears my name, a look through google scholar still lists him as the main author and you wouldnt even find my name except you download the article.
Do not mention the name of anybody. What are the names of the websites where he republished?
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Decibel: 8:20am On Sep 13, 2016
Kivaro:
It looks like you are getting it all wrong and making a mountain out of a mole hill. In academics there is what we call co-authorship and co-authors have equal right to use a co-authored article or journal anyway they see fit, regardless of who is the main author. As long as Prof. C contributed to the article, even merely proof-reading and he is brought in (by Prof. B, without your permission - Prof B must have mentioned it to you and you are probably too busy or excited at the time) as a co-author, then he is a legit co-author. This is a standard practice even in the Western world.

Additionally,there are many different ways one can present his or her resume or Vita. For whatever reason, you may choose to highlight yourself more than any other co-authors when the purpose of the resume is to highlight your own achievements. Some might even decide to say Jay Fox and other co-authors without naming the co-athors. It is a moral judgment on the part of the presenter but there is no crime committed. The readers of the resume will pull the article cited and they will find the original authors on the paper as you correctly described.

If I understand the scenario you described, you did not say, that the article was republished only that Prof. C is only focusing on his achievements in a resume and not you in the resume. If you want to prepare your own resume, you can still focus on your achievements as well and make the articles available to interested readers. The way you present yourself in your own resume is independent of how another person might want to present himself or herself.

Now, if the article/journal is republished, then you must read the article and make sure that every word is the same as the original article, including the title. If not, it is another article/journal or a re-study of the original study. Sometimes, authors represent an idea from a prior article in a practice or industry journal without taking anything a way from the original article.

CAUTION: If you are in academics or you plan to be, you should thread very carefully before you lay any complaint. Academics is a small industry, and you don't want to burn bridges before you get a chance to cross them. Remember "IT is not what you want to do, rather it is what you have to do"

If I were you I would focus on publishing more powerful journals than to fight over this. It is a useless fight, believe me.
Just came to approve and like your comment

1 Like

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Jethrolite(m): 8:21am On Sep 13, 2016
mostyg:
That is not plagarism. The professor has not done anything WRONG. This is how researchgate and other similar websites work. As long as you are one of the authors and the journal permits self archiving, you can upload any article on your page.

With a Masters degree and a potential lecturer, you should know better.

The prof has even made your research popular by uploading on his page.

He is a professor already and does not need it for any promotion again.
You are correct, researchgate only makes the paper more popular and research gate is not a publisher so nothing wrong had been done, only good.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Decibel: 8:24am On Sep 13, 2016
Katyusha:
Don't fight a battle you will never win. My alma mater U.I, is notorious for such cases. Most of these "scholars" become professors through tacit theft of projects by M.Sc and Ph.d students. They then make cosmetic changes to this projects and boom, they are giving innagural lectures with the same topics
These are intellectual property bandits who specialize in notoriety.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Decibel: 8:28am On Sep 13, 2016
@Guitalife,
Just follow the advise given by the @Kivaro and the rest will be history.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 8:30am On Sep 13, 2016
Decibel:

Just came to approve and like your comment

My concern is that if I reference the work I might be at risk of being accused of plagiarising Prof Cs article. An article that is originally mine.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by PeeDaVinci: 8:32am On Sep 13, 2016
Dude,
this is not plagiarism at all. at worst, you can call it inappropriate credit attribution, and i even doubt this is the case, i would say you can describe what he did as "misleading citation" of your work, and you can write the prof that you will want your paper to be properly cited on his sites.
That aside, you paper is your paper, and you can cite it correctly, and provide a link to the paper online in your CV. information obtained from any site other than the publishers site is not an authoritative in determining the main contributor to your research work
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Decibel: 8:35am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

My concern is that if I reference the work I might be at risk of being accused of plagiarising Prof Cs article. An article that is originally mine.
Is this in Nigerian university or oversea?
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by ayokunlei(m): 8:38am On Sep 13, 2016
Effyzie01: Sir, what do you think about the OP's topic
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by chilan: 8:48am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:
Some years ago I published a journal .

I was listed as the main author together with my major supervisor for my masters lets say Dr. B, I also listed Prof. C as a secondary author.

Now Prof C. Has moved to another school and immediately I recieved the pdf copy of the journal I forwarded it to Prof. C. Just to notify him.

On the pdf copy of the journal my name is listef as the main author together with Dr. B but Prof C. is only listed as a secondary author.

This journal is my original work and I collaborated mostly with Dr. B.

Fast forward this morning I was applying for some scholarships and needed to reference my journal so I just googled, Lo and behold Prof C. Has already uploaded the pdf copy of my research on many academic sites.

The pdf copy still carries my name and Dr. B as the main author and he as the secondary author but on those sites he claimed to be the main author and totally omitted my name.

Although if you go aheaf and download the said journal it still has my name as he only uploafed a pdf copy I sent to him and am sure he has left my name on it cos he couldnt edit it being a pdf format.

My concern is will I not be guilty of plagiarism if I lay claim to the journal ?

Please note that my name is referenced as the main author on the original site where the journal was published and even the journal has my name listed as the main author.

The majot concern is that every other place Prof C. Uploaded that journal he did not invlude my name although the uploaded material carries my name.

Please advise

Your best bet towards redressing this miconduct of the professor is first to inform him to recall that journal and publish an apology. If he refuses, then go to court.

Contact 08035533560 for free legal representation
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Pedagogue: 8:53am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

[b]
I understand you.

Many Nigerians do not understand the ramifications of plagiarism. If indeed a quick search of the Article on the internet leaves your name out as the main Author, then that is a case of deliberate academic misrepresentation. It is very serious.

However, the fact that your authorship is not put to any doubt if the Article is assessed is a reason why I'll advice you not to consider litigation as an option. As a young researcher, I don't even think it's a politically correct thing to do-especially since you are in Nigeria.

Nevertheless, you must learn from this experience. Ensure you promptly publish any Article you write in future, and let any co-Author know his limits.

*Per your question, feel free to use the Article. Since you are listed as the First Author (on the face of it) there's absolutely no reason for you to fret.

2 Likes

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Pennywise(m): 8:54am On Sep 13, 2016
This is more like contempt for the main author than plagiarism. If he wanted to edit you out from the pdf document, he could have done that easily as there are readily available softwares on the net for that.

Why worry if your name is still on the journal as the main author. He probably feels it will amount to promoting a subordinate over himself if he referenced you in these other academic communes he took the paper. People who are truly critical and relevant to these issues know what is at play. So why bother?

In a way he has used his status to ventilate an otherwise obscure paper to your advantage. If u keep towing this line, more senior colleagues will begin to treat you like a leper.

No, this doesn't have all the ingredients of plagiarism.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Holysholay: 8:54am On Sep 13, 2016
The headline s misleading, Prof C has not plagiarised. He only uploaded the same paper on sites. During upload on sites, d sites would ask the lists of authors, author sometimes decide to put his/her name (possibly in a hurry). This doesnt mean he s d sole author
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 8:56am On Sep 13, 2016
Decibel:

Is this in Nigerian university or oversea?
Do you mean if the work was published in the page of a Nigerian University ? Then yes I did the research while at a Nigerian university and the Prof too is a Nigerian in a Nigerian school.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Omooba77: 8:56am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

I was listed as the main author together with my major supervisor for my masters lets say Dr. B, I also listed Prof. C as a secondary author.

Now Prof C. Has moved to another school and immediately I recieved the pdf copy of the journal I forwarded it to Prof. C. Just to notify him.

On the pdf copy of the journal my name is listef as the main author together with Dr. B but Prof C. is only listed as a secondary author.

Fast forward this morning I was applying for some scholarships and needed to reference my journal so I just googled, Lo and behold Prof C. Has already uploaded the pdf copy of my research on many academic sites.

The pdf copy still carries my name and Dr. B as the main author and he as the secondary author but on those sites he claimed to be the main author and totally omitted my name.

Although if you go aheaf and download the said journal it still has my name as he only uploafed a pdf copy I sent to him and am sure he has left my name on it cos he couldnt edit it being a pdf format.

My concern is will I not be guilty of plagiarism if I lay claim to the journal ?

Please note that my name is referenced as the main author on the original site where the journal was published and even the journal has my name listed as the main author.

The majot concern is that every other place Prof C. Uploaded that journal he did not invlude my name although the uploaded material carries my name.

Please advise

Oga scholar,there is no ambiguity in this;any one that opens the pdf will see your name. Go ahead,Prof. C will be the one to face panel. Your name is there as the main author. Please feel free to enjoy the fruit of your labour.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Decibel: 9:01am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

Do you mean if the work was published in the page of a Nigerian University ? Then yes I did the research while at a Nigerian university and the Prof too is a Nigerian in a Nigerian school.
Now, get to Dr. B or any other academics and ask them the implications for using such article but don't mention your name or Prof C but use an anonymous.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by enigmang: 9:06am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

What he did was upload the article on academic sites but in so doing he did not mention my name as the author and while I published the article[b] I made him author(2) [/b]but he uploaded same article to the web and now claimed he is author(1).

You say you made him like you did him a favour?? Why did you make him?? did he ask for it or did he help in your report.
As long as he is a co-author he technically is part of the publication and can use it as he likes. this is not plagiarism...

Plagiarism would mean him writing the whole or part of the article and posting it as his work..
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by eyinjuege: 9:07am On Sep 13, 2016
AdemolaA2:
It is pure plagiarism, neverthe less, write him a mail to lay your complaints about this and ask him to review, recall and reference you appropriately if he has to use your intellectual property. Your email correspondence will serve as evidence in the long run if you decide to press charges against him.

Note : I'm not a lawyer but it's just my opinion if I were to be in your shoes.

Dazzall....
Plagiarism is a serious crime, and that prof should just mind himself
Though, he's also a secondary author.
You can use your journal anywhere. Nothing can happen. If investigated, the prof would be found guilty for not acknowledging you. Write a nice email to him, to that effect, asking him to acknowledge your work.

1 Like

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by yetseyi(f): 9:21am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife, If I upload an article on research gate as part of articles published and I am a co- author of that article , that's not plagiarism and that's what the prof did.
Those sites just want to know articles you have published, it doesn't really matter if you are coresponding author or secondary or tertiary author all what they want to know is you partook in the article. He even made your paper more popular.

So oga go ahead and cite those articles, as long as your name is part of the authors .

I read your comments and your replies and I can say it seems you are a bit ignorant of the way things work in the Nigerian academic environment.

That aside, you published an MSC project and your supervisors allowed you to use your name as main author wow, which school in Naija pls, they are nice oo.

Let me rant small grin

You will do all the work spend all the money, then your name will be number 5 or 6 and they add names that never contributed anything to the project, I mean nothing at all not even advice oo and you will be wondering where they came from but as an up coming academician you will just thank God that your name appeared in the article.(mostly MSC)

To choose a supervisor and Co-supervisor, you have to make sure both of them are in talking terms or else you are on your own, your programme (PhD mostly) has just been extended by few more years.You almost worship supervisors else they won't let you go.
There are some you should never offend they have got connections even down to the senate and other universities and they will frustrate you and if they really want to finish you the external assessor will be their paddy . Some supervisors you have to walk on egg shells around them, some will even transfer aggression from their homes to you. You have got to bear all, because of that prize grin

Too many beefs,eye service, cold wars and so much egos that need to be massaged in the Nigerian academic environment. angry angry

Students generally don't pray to get involved in academic war most times they don't survive it.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 9:35am On Sep 13, 2016
yetseyi:
Guitarlife, If I upload an article on research gate as part of articles published and I am a co- author of that article , that's not plagiarism and that's what the prof did.
Those sites just want to know articles you have published, it doesn't really matter if you are coresponding author or secondary or tertiary author all what they want to know is you partook in the article. He even made your paper more popular.

So oga go ahead and cite those articles, as long as your name is part of the authors .

I read your comments and your replies and I can say it seems you are a bit ignorant of the way things work in the Nigerian academic environment.

That aside, you published an MSC project and your supervisors allowed you to use your name as main author wow, which school in Naija pls, they are nice oo.

Let me rant small grin

You will do all the work spend all the money, then your name will be number 5 or 6 and they add names that never contributed anything to the project, I mean nothing at all not even advice oo and you will be wondering where they came from but as an up coming academician you will just thank God that your name appeared in the article.(mostly MSC)

To choose a supervisor and Co-supervisor, you have to make sure both of them are in talking terms or else you are on your own, your programme (PhD mostly) has just been extended by few more years.You almost worship supervisors else they won't let you go.
There are some you should never offend they have got connections even down to the senate and other universities and they will frustrate you and if they really want to finish you the external assessor will be their paddy . Some supervisors you have to walk on egg shells around them, some will even transfer aggression from their homes to you. You have got to bear all, because of that prize grin

Too many beefs,eye service, cold wars and so much egos that need to be massaged in the Nigerian academic environment. angry angry

Students generally don't pray to get involved in academic war most times they don't survive it.
Seyi you are mostly right but then the Prof. did not include my name at all as part of the authors.

Isn't that wrong ?

Is he allowed to claim sole author and totally omit my name on those sites ?

Please educate me.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Profeme: 9:41am On Sep 13, 2016
Ejemehn:
Hello Op

You still have the lead author right because whoever would reference or cite your publication will write your name first e.g Seun et al., 2016 etc.

Moreover, he has the right to use the publication because he was listed as a coauthor. What that simply means is that he was part of the research that was carried out irrespective of whatever role he played.

Be careful the kind of claims you make. Academics don't joke with plagiarism and stolen intellectual properties.

Hear this.... Whether he listed you or not should not concern you at all. What people want to see is the PDF copy and correct citation which I believe carries your name as lead author.

Just relax
I totally agree with you. You have stated the fact clearly. Those who are advising the the op to sue Prof C may not be familiar with regulations involving academic publications.

Besides, the Copyright of your journal publication belongs to the publisher of the journal. Besides, the op can only sue any person who uses his work without proper citations which Prof C is not guilty of.

1 Like

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Profeme: 9:48am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

Seyi you are mostly right but then the Prof. did not include my name at all as part of the authors.

Isn't that wrong ?

Is he allowed to claim sole author and totally omit my name on those sites ?

Please educate me.
Yetseyi has stated the obvious. What else did you not understand?
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by ephi123(f): 9:49am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

Please advise

This is just wrong! The omission is the main issue as he is trying to lay claim to the work without acknowledging the main author (you), it just doesn't sound right at all.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 9:51am On Sep 13, 2016
Dear friends ,

I did a mail to Prof C yesterday and I just got a feedback now .

Surprisingly, He apologised and has directed for the correction to be effected.

To say am humbled by his action is to put it lightly.

And just so you all know, he is not Nigerian though he has been in Nigeria for some time and studied for all his degrees in Nigeria.

Am not sure if a Nigerian prof can be that humble .

2 Likes

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Teniolasmart: 9:55am On Sep 13, 2016
johndwayy:

This type of thread is not meant for people like you. Please move to entertainment and celebrity section.
come and push me away na

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stephen Ndifon, UNICAL Lecturer Kidnapped With 2 Other Students / 8 Helpful Tips For Getting A Study Scholarship / Lautech Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.