Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,352 members, 7,836,445 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. (12084 Views)

Sex For Marks: OAU VC Gives Update On Prof. Akindele / LAUTECH Students Post Obituary Of Their VC, Prof. Sulaiman Gbadegesin (Photo) / Please Help With My Research Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by agabaI23(m): 9:57am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:
Some years ago I published a journal .

I was listed as the main author together with my major supervisor for my masters lets say Dr. B, I also listed Prof. C as a secondary author.

Now Prof C. Has moved to another school and immediately I recieved the pdf copy of the journal I forwarded it to Prof. C. Just to notify him.

On the pdf copy of the journal my name is listef as the main author together with Dr. B but Prof C. is only listed as a secondary author.

This journal is my original work and I collaborated mostly with Dr. B.

Fast forward this morning I was applying for some scholarships and needed to reference my journal so I just googled, Lo and behold Prof C. Has already uploaded the pdf copy of my research on many academic sites.

The pdf copy still carries my name and Dr. B as the main author and he as the secondary author but on those sites he claimed to be the main author and totally omitted my name.

Although if you go aheaf and download the said journal it still has my name as he only uploafed a pdf copy I sent to him and am sure he has left my name on it cos he couldnt edit it being a pdf format.

My concern is will I not be guilty of plagiarism if I lay claim to the journal ?

Please note that my name is referenced as the main author on the original site where the journal was published and even the journal has my name listed as the main author.

The majot concern is that every other place Prof C. Uploaded that journal he did not invlude my name although the uploaded material carries my name.

Please advise
I am sure you were referring to a journal article. Do you know the meaning of plagiarism? How can you say someone plagiarized an article he is a co-author?

He probably uploaded those in some visibility websites and it has not changed anything.

If he is the last person listed in the list of authors, his position is actually better than that of Dr B. It means he is the leader of the Research team.

2 Likes

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Teniolasmart: 10:04am On Sep 13, 2016
[quote author=HarkymTheOracle post=49312325][/quote]ok be bye;;.....................take ur wahala and go
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by sorepco(m): 10:16am On Sep 13, 2016
Look at the bold part. Let it be your main reference site.
2nd call mr b and tell him if your findings. Also let mr c know u also know what he has done.
Tell him to do tte needful or u talk 2 his school

Guitarlife:

I was listed as the main author together with my major supervisor for my masters lets say Dr. B, I also listed Prof. C as a secondary author.

Now Prof C. Has moved to another school and immediately I recieved the pdf copy of the journal I forwarded it to Prof. C. Just to notify him.

On the pdf copy of the journal my name is listef as the main author together with Dr. B but Prof C. is only listed as a secondary author.

Fast forward this morning I was applying for some scholarships and needed to reference my journal so I just googled, Lo and behold Prof C. Has already uploaded the pdf copy of my research on many academic sites.

The pdf copy still carries my name and Dr. B as the main author and he as the secondary author but on those sites he claimed to be the main author and totally omitted my name.

Although if you go aheaf and download the said journal it still has my name as he only uploafed a pdf copy I sent to him and am sure he has left my name on it cos he couldnt edit it being a pdf format.

My concern is will I not be guilty of plagiarism if I lay claim to the journal ?

[b]Please note that my name is referenced as the main author on the original site where the journal was published and even the journal has my name listed as [/b]the main author.

The majot concern is that every other place Prof C. Uploaded that journal he did not invlude my name although the uploaded material carries my name.

Please advise
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by yetseyi(f): 10:25am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

Seyi you are mostly right but then the Prof. did not include my name at all as part of the authors.

Isn't that wrong ?

Is he allowed to claim sole author and totally omit my name on those sites ?

Please educate me.

Prof has apologized and will effect the change.

That aside,
I am now assuming those sites asked for all the authors from your question, Did he include your supervisor as a co-author and left yours out.Did they (the site) specifically ask the name of the main author of the article and he put his name instead of yours?

What I do know of in the case of those sites is they ask article you published and you upload them and since you have registered on those sites it will show as an article published by you, whether one is main author or not doesn't matter, the main thing is your name is among the authors.

If they now request that you should state who the main author is(which I think doesn't make much sense since the main author is visible on the article you uploaded) then you state who it is.

Hope you also know that you and your supervisor can register on those sites individually and upload that same article as an article you have published (in your names) since two of you are authors.If you want your name to show on those sites register and upload all articles in your name simple.

When people read through/download those articles they will always see who the main author is.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by ogawisdom(m): 11:01am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

Please note that my name is referenced as the main author on the original site where the journal was published and even the journal has my name listed as the main author.

Please advise

Was d Prof a co-author to the published Journal paper?
If he is then he is a part owner of d paper
Did d Prof alter d published PDF paper to start with his name?
If he did not then claiming d main author is meaningless if he did then he committed academic fraud.

D paper shld b referred to as urname et al assuming u ve up to 2 co- authors
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Omooba77: 11:08am On Sep 13, 2016
yetseyi:

Prof has apologized and will effect the change.

That aside,
I am now assuming those sites asked for all the authors from your question, Did he include your supervisor as a co-author and left yours out.Did they (the site) specifically ask the name of the main author of the article and he put his name instead of yours?

What I do know of in the case of those sites is they ask article you published and you upload them and since you have registered on those sites it will show as an article published by you, whether one is main author or not doesn't matter, the main thing is your name is among the authors.

If they now request that you should state who the main author is(which I think doesn't make much sense since the main author is visible on the article you uploaded) then you state who it is.

Hope you also know that you and your supervisor can register on those sites individually and upload that same article as an article you have published (in your names) since two of you are authors.If you want your name to show on those sites register and upload all articles in your name simple.

When people read through/download those articles they will always see who the main author is.

Nothing to debate; guitarlife was just flogging a dead horse. It is the pdf content that will be checked by any meaningful body. They will read through to ensure you too is not doing copy copy.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by nwamehn: 11:12am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:
Mynd44

Point of correction, it's paper or publication, not journal. The article in question is a publication or a paper, published alongside other papers by a journal.
Once the original paper that was published before in the original journal contains ur name as the corresponding author, then it can never be plagiarism on ur part. It can only be plagiarism on the part of that professor if he uploads those papers on academic sites after removing ur name from the paper itself. So, go ahead and use it for ur referencing.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by sorepco(m): 11:24am On Sep 13, 2016
U r generally correct but particularly wrong with ur last sentence. He should have acknowledged the op and mr b.

adioolayi:
Plagiarism serious offense!
There are some key issues I don't seems to understand here, he uploaded the PDF file Have you published your work before now Because uploading a PDF file does not mean the work has been published..if you sent a PDF file of a project to your supervisor, is that a journal article I dont think so. If what you are saying is that, you published an article and sent his own copy to him being a cosupervisor, and he listed the said article as part of his publications.... academically, he is right to do so..since he is part of the authors.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by seunthomas: 12:28pm On Sep 13, 2016
For those of you saying taking someone else's work and publishing it online as your own(even when you are a co-author) is not plagiarism, i dont think you really know what you are saying.
This is just one example of plagiarism, there are more direct ways like taking the text of the content and changing the authors name to your own name.
OP, my advice is to contact the Professor and inform him(in a friendly manner). Its your right. Ordinarily, he should have even contacted you before uploading the work to any site at all. If he fails to do so, just contact those sites and ask them to take down your work. Send your proof to them and they will act accordingly. Your proof may be in any form. It may even be a spiral binding of the original work. They are under obligation to at least listen to you. However, they may have terms that does not explicitly forbid co-authors to publish a document, however all the other authors must be cited appropriately.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by topsco(m): 1:14pm On Sep 13, 2016
This is not a plagiarism, it is a break in the publishing ethics for journals especially that of "Authorship". You can brief Dr B.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by ogbevireo(m): 1:36pm On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

Please advise

Why don't you call him and ask him about it - I mean Prof. C?

Then start to contact all the other academic bodies where he submitted it as his paper to complain. Theu will reference the originalto confirm your claims.

NB: he can edit the pdf copy. just to let you know.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 13, 2016
"Please note that my name is referenced as the main author on the original site where the journal was published and even the journal has my name listed as the main author."

What's the fuss about? The above is all that matters. What Prof C did is called self-archiving , anyone on the authors list can index the the paper on free academic sites. You can too. The way I see it, Prof C is doing you a great favor by improving the visibility and availability of your work to boost the paper's citation counts otherwise your paper ain't worth sh*t.

BTW, you wrote a paper or an article not a journal
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by eightsin(m): 2:38pm On Sep 13, 2016
And who said PDF files cannot be edited?
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Coldplay007(f): 5:12pm On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:
Dear friends ,

I did a mail to Prof C yesterday and I just got a feedback now .

Surprisingly, He apologised and has directed for the correction to be effected.

To say am humbled by his action is to put it lightly.

And just so you all know, he is not Nigerian though he has been in Nigeria for some time and studied for all his degrees in Nigeria.

Am not sure if a Nigerian prof can be that humble .

you messed up bro. You shouldn't have called him. What he did wasn't wrong. I wonder what kind of Private university you schooled in..
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by kingreign(m): 5:56pm On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:
Dear friends ,

I did a mail to Prof C yesterday and I just got a feedback now .

Surprisingly, He apologised and has directed for the correction to be effected.

To say am humbled by his action is to put it lightly.

And just so you all know, he is not Nigerian though he has been in Nigeria for some time and studied for all his degrees in Nigeria.

Am not sure if a Nigerian prof can be that humble .

You've lost a million naira law suit against that dude
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by duduade: 6:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
I will advice you email Dr B..

Email the journal that Prof C.... Published with stating your concerns and evidence... and also request for a withdrawal of the article from their journal...

Prof C.. is a disgrace to the academics....
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by duduade: 6:05pm On Sep 13, 2016
kingreign:

You've lost a million naira law suit against that dude

Hmmmm it was evident the Prof knew what he did.... He knows the consequence..... What if the dude was not bold enough??
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by duduade: 6:06pm On Sep 13, 2016
eightsin:
And who said PDF files cannot be edited?

As in... The day i saw it life with Nitro.....
I couldn't help but laugh
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 13, 2016
Coldplay007:

you messed up bro. You shouldn't have called him. What he did wasn't wrong. I wonder what kind of Private university you schooled in..
I never attended a private University.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 6:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
agabaI23:
I am sure you were referring to a journal article. Do you know the meaning of plagiarism? How can you say someone plagiarized an article he is a co-author?

He probably uploaded those in some visibility websites and it has not changed anything.

If he is the last person listed in the list of authors,ly better than that of Dr B. It means he is the leader of the Research team.

Pls, how is Prof. C the leader of the research team? How is the position better?
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Sep 13, 2016
Op...which scholarship abeg cos I need apply
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by agabaI23(m): 8:38pm On Sep 13, 2016
ejibaba:

Pls, how is Prof. C the leader of the research team? How is the position better?
lol, it is more like an international convention
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 13, 2016
agabaI23:
lol, it is more like an international convention

Seriously, I will appreciate a link to it maybe online or a reference
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by effyzie01(m): 7:20am On Sep 18, 2016
ayokunlei:
Effyzie01: Sir, what do you think about the OP's topic

Thanks for the mention, Mr Ayokunlei.

I think, as many informed comments here showed, the Op is getting it all wrong. If as the Op said the his article was only 'uploaded' in academic websites (by this perhaps he means the likes of researchgate and academia etc) and not republished, then it's not plagiarism. He should even thank the professor for exposing him to such platforms (which I prefer to call the clubs of academic elites).

The professor, being a co-author, has the right to list names of the other authors in whatever order he deems fit; whether his name first and the main author's last or the other way round.

I think the Op should also tread carefully. These kinds of soft accusations could land him in big troubles especially if he's in the academics.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 18, 2016
effyzie01:

Thanks for the mention, Mr Ayokunlei.

I think, as many informed comments here showed, the Op is getting it all wrong. If as the Op said the his article was only 'uploaded' in academic websites (by this perhaps he means the likes of researchgate and academia etc) and not republished, then it's not plagiarism. He should even thank the professor for exposing him to such platforms (which I prefer to call the clubs of academic elites).

The professor, being a co-author, has the right to list names of the other authors in whatever order he deems fit; whether his name first and the main author's last or the other way round.

I think the Op should also tread carefully. These kinds of soft accusations could land him in big troubles especially if he's in the academics.
Thanks for your time. But as I said, the prof did not include my name at all as part of the authors when he listed authors names in those sites.

Although the pdf uploaded bears my name but you will only notice that if you downloaded it.

If you just visited the sites you wont even see my name.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by effyzie01(m): 2:46pm On Sep 18, 2016
Guitarlife:

Thanks for your time. But as I said, the prof did not include my name at all as part of the authors when he listed authors names in those sites.

Although the pdf uploaded bears my name but you will only notice that if you downloaded it.

If you just visited the sites you wont even see my name.

I understand, but still this could be a simple oversight from the site's administrators and not the Professor's fault. So please drop the plagiarism charge. It's too weighty. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kwara State University (KWASU) 2016/2017 Thread / Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin 2016/2017 Aspirants / SSANU, NASU Begin Warning Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.