Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,487 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. (12055 Views)

Sex For Marks: OAU VC Gives Update On Prof. Akindele / LAUTECH Students Post Obituary Of Their VC, Prof. Sulaiman Gbadegesin (Photo) / Please Help With My Research Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by adioolayi(m): 7:16am On Sep 13, 2016
Plagiarism serious offense!
There are some key issues I don't seems to understand here, he uploaded the PDF file Have you published your work before now Because uploading a PDF file does not mean the work has been published..if you sent a PDF file of a project to your supervisor, is that a journal article I dont think so. If what you are saying is that, you published an article and sent his own copy to him being a cosupervisor, and he listed the said article as part of his publications.... academically, he is right to do so..since he is part of the authors.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by seunthomas: 7:17am On Sep 13, 2016
This was something i discussed in depth with someone just yesterday. This issue of plagiarism is a big one that most of those academic sites have been battling for a long time. Some of this sites have Machine Learning software that can detect if a work is plagiarised. My advice is you do the gentleman thing first by contacting the said professor C. Ask him to relinquish his claims to the original work. Ideally, he should respond positively because it can be a major embarrasment for him and can actually ruin is academic career. If he refuses to contact those sites or per adventure he delays in doing so. You can contact them directly with adequate evidence, which may be scanned copies of any hard copy materials in which the work was first published, newspaper commentories on the said paper,copy of your email to him. Most of them will respond positively by contacting him and would take appropriate action if you have all the right evidence. Wish you the best.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by shadeyinka(m): 7:23am On Sep 13, 2016
The pdf copy still carries my name and Dr. B as the main author and he as the secondary author but on those sites he claimed to be the main author and totally omitted my name.

He is Lucy he didn't tamper with your original work or else that would be an outright plagiarism.

Are you sure he claimed to be the first author? Because that will be a proof of a deliberate misinformation of the academia.

If not, pls as a first step, since he is part of the publication, write him and ask him to correct the correctible ones. Note thay, It is a crime to add peaples name to a publication they were no part of so get his reply first before any further action from you. His omission of your name may not be intentional.

1 Like

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by iHart(m): 7:24am On Sep 13, 2016
How did you come to know that Prof C uploaded your article to several sites? Note that many site pick up article to archive in their site, especially when the article has a good impact and Lots of citations. Most of them do this to attract traffic to their website, i guess. since you remain the corresponding author in the files from those websites, nobody have plagiarised your work. This is just an exposure that is increasing your impact factor. Call the Prof and thank him.

These journals in india, fear them. Just give them your dollar, they will accept one article hundred times.

2 Likes

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 7:25am On Sep 13, 2016
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by mostyg(m): 7:29am On Sep 13, 2016
That is not plagarism. The professor has not done anything WRONG. This is how researchgate and other similar websites work. As long as you are one of the authors and the journal permits self archiving, you can upload any article on your page.

With a Masters degree and a potential lecturer, you should know better.

The prof has even made your research popular by uploading on his page.

He is a professor already and does not need it for any promotion again.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by GameGod(m): 7:31am On Sep 13, 2016
Your problem is probably from the "in text citation " or you didn't paraphrase some quotations.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by proffemi: 7:32am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:
Some years ago I published a journal .

I was listed as the main author together with my major supervisor for my masters lets say Dr. B, I also listed Prof. C as a secondary author.
Now Prof C. Has moved to another school and immediately I recieved the pdf copy of the journal I forwarded it to Prof. C. Just to notify him...
Please advise

First things first. The right term to use is not journal. Paper, perhaps.

I do not see any issue here, other than the prof in question making himself look like a jackass. Once he is listed as an author - primary, secondary, tertiary or whatever - he is a co-author of the work, and is entitled to claim it as (partly) his. Listing himself as the principal or sole author online while accompanying with a pdf that says otherwise makes him look like a jackass. Omitting your name entirely makes him look [insert very offensive synonym for stupid].

So, there's no plagiarism, just jackassery (new word alert). You're safe, because the original journal carrying the paper has the names in the right order, right? Also, is there a print version from the journal, or a journal website with the original? This is your safety net, in case he tries to get smarter. As things stand, NOTHING stops you from parading yourself as the main author of the work (to answer your question, nope, the fact that he's uploading the document everywhere does not in any way diminish your right to the work).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Coldplay007(f): 7:35am On Sep 13, 2016
this is not a problem nah.. Like you said, all the articles he posted has your name which he didn't edit.. He didn't plagiaris the original work, he just lied about it..
So go ahead and use the article because technically there was no plagiarism..
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by na2016: 7:36am On Sep 13, 2016
@Guitarlife:

First, you don't publish a journal. You publish an article on a journal.

Now to your question, write the said professor an email drawing his attention to what you noticed online. Copy the Doc the email. If after one (1) week you didn't recieve any reply from them, write an official letter to the Ethics Committee of that Professor's new University. Plagiarism is a very serious offence and that Professor wouldn't want to loose his job.

2 Likes

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by mogentle(m): 7:37am On Sep 13, 2016
Fear not, you still remain the bona fide owner of your work. Whoever wants to use such as reference with use your name et al. But I hope nothing stops you too from uploading it to some other sites where you'll claim to own the job. Also, get across to him with boldness(email is cool as reference), no gain in fear.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by proffemi: 7:38am On Sep 13, 2016
na2016:
@Guitarlife:

First, you don't publish a journal. You publish an article on a journal.

Now to your question, write the said professor an email drawing his attention to what you noticed online. Copy the Doc the email. If after one (1) week you didn't recieve any reply from them, write an official letter to the Ethics Committee of that Professor's new University. Plagiarism is a very serious offence and that Professor wouldn't want to loose his job.

[Head shake] Nope. There's been no plagiarism here. If OP does what you're suggesting, he will look like a big fool.

1 Like

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 13, 2016
adioolayi:
Plagiarism serious offense!
There are some key issues I don't seems to understand here, he uploaded the PDF file Have you published your work before now Because uploading a PDF file does not mean the work has been published..if you sent a PDF file of a project to your supervisor, is that a journal article I dont think so. If what you are saying is that, you published an article and sent his own copy to him being a cosupervisor, and he listed the said article as part of his publications.... academically, he is right to do so..since he is part of the authors.
Yes I have published the work as a journal .

When the journal came out you know naturally the names of the authors will be listed on it which carries somethimg like :
My name (1) Dr. B (2) Prof. C (3)

and since its a pdf that name order still stands on the original material.

The bone of contention is that he listed the journal on some academic sites and omitted my name as author on those sites.

He made himself the leaf author and didnt even mention my name on the sites but you know since he uploaded the original pdf, that still bears my name.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by ivandragon: 7:42am On Sep 13, 2016
in what journal was the work published?

you can write a formal complain to the journal if you really feel aggrieved. If its a reputable journal, they will get in touch with the Prof who would be forced to contact you to clarify the issue.

on the other hand, contact Dr. B or the Prof directly & hear what transpired. remember, for it to have been published, the prof must have paid the publication fee, which can be quite expensive, so try to be understanding.

lastly, ignore contacting anyone & keep making reference as the main author. but if issues arise, make sure you have your manuscripts in tact, details of correspondences, especially e-mail & other documents to prove you are the main author.

but please note, anyone listed as an author, primary or secondary, also has rights to upload the work.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Jethrolite(m): 7:45am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:
Some years ago I published a journal.

On the pdf copy of the journal my name is listef as the main author together with Dr. B but Prof C. is only listed as a secondary author.

This journal is my original work and I collaborated mostly with Dr. B.

Please advise
What kind of researcher are you, which university did you go to. You do not know the difference between a journal and a research paper. I do not even believe the professor is ignorant enough to do what you said he did.

If by chance there is any truth in your story then write to the journals where he puplished the paper and provide evidence the paper is yours, also provide the link to your publication. It is against publishing ethics to publish an already published paper.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by elhafeez(m): 7:47am On Sep 13, 2016
OP there is no issue hear as long as your name is in the paper he uploaded there is no problem. any one citing that paper would use your name and add et al while referencing the work. this is not plagiarism because he was one of the authors on the paper. In academic as not as your name is in the authors list you were part of the work.
my thesis was published in a journal and my supervisors name was listed first. I didn't even add my second supervisor name to the list because infect he didn't contribute enough to the success of the research.
the second jounal paper he added my HOD's name to my research and my HOD didn't do anything. I confronted him and he said that that's how we do in academics and help each other. since them he started giving me other researches to edit, contribute and correct for publishing.
lesson Lernt: Next time when somebody didn't contribute enough to a research don't add their names while pubkishing.
Nigerians like adding people name to journals and paper without any contribution to the paper. very soon Nigerians would add their family members name to academic papers.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by oneolajire(m): 7:47am On Sep 13, 2016
Contact the copywrite commission.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by ercel: 7:49am On Sep 13, 2016
[quote author=Guitarlife post=49304953][/quote]
OP I can relate with your situation. In my opinion, you need not worry yourself too much. Once that article is opened the arrangement of names will always show who the main researcher is. All that Prof. C is doing will only amount to publicity,the intellectual community that is interested in an article will always know who truly owns it (at least from a copy obtained).
I suggest you just leave him and not confront him. As it stands your article is still yours,anywhere,everywhere!

1 Like

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by supereagle(m): 7:49am On Sep 13, 2016
Ejemehn:
Hello Op

You still have the lead author right because whoever would reference or cite your publication will write your name first e.g Seun et al., 2016 etc.

Moreover, he has the right to use the publication because he was listed as a coauthor. What that simply means is that he was part of the research that was carried out irrespective of whatever role he played.

Be careful the kind of claims you make. Academics don't joke with plagiarism and stolen intellectual properties.

Hear this.... Whether he listed you or not should not concern you at all. What people want to see is the PDF copy and correct citation which I believe carries your name as lead author.

Just relax
You have said what I have in my mind. He will still be cited as lead author ,to confirm it type the article title in Google scholar if your name still comes out as a lead lead author stop making noise here in NL.

1 Like

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by elhafeez(m): 7:49am On Sep 13, 2016
Jethrolite:
What kind of researcher are you, which university did you go to. You do not know the difference between a journal and a research paper. I do not even believe the professor is ignorant enough to do what you said he did.

If by chance there is any truth in your story then write to the journals where he puplished the paper and provide evidence the paper is yours, also provide the link to your publication. It is against publishing ethics to publish an already published paper.

his name was cited in the paper published.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by gretblue: 7:50am On Sep 13, 2016
Op don't be too fast in reporting the said Professor.In an academics setting, what the Prof did has nothing to do with plagiarism as long as your names remain the 1st corresponding author in the said article. In fact the Prof has simply helped you to spread the readership of your work. The only omission of the Prof was he didn't alert you before going ahead,however he might not see any reason in informing you simply because he thinks he is ahead of you academically. And in any Journal publications, the first correspondent name signifiers the owner of such articles
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by adioolayi(m): 7:52am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:

Yes I have published the work as a journal .

When the journal came out you know naturally the names of the authors will be listed on it which carries somethimg like :
My name (1) Dr. B (2) Prof. C (3)

and since its a pdf that name order still stands on the original material.

The bone of contention is that he listed the journal on some academic sites and omitted my name as author on those sites.

He made himself the leaf author and didnt even mention my name on the sites but you know since he uploaded the original pdf, that still bears my name.

Now I get....notify him to reference you properly... it should be an oversight. Just be careful how you handle this..Because I can't establish any plagiarism claim here... just as observed by many here, since the original work still carries your name as the first author...The Don as really help you by publicising your work....as many also have advised you, just move on to using your work..but if you are not comfortable, .inform your major supervisor about it....because things like this can finish either of you'd career.
Good luck
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Kivaro(m): 7:57am On Sep 13, 2016
It looks like you are getting it all wrong and making a mountain out of a mole hill. In academics there is what we call co-authorship and co-authors have equal right to use a co-authored article or journal anyway they see fit, regardless of who is the main author. As long as Prof. C contributed to the article, even merely proof-reading and he is brought in (by Prof. B, without your permission - Prof B must have mentioned it to you and you are probably too busy or excited at the time) as a co-author, then he is a legit co-author. This is a standard practice even in the Western world.

Additionally,there are many different ways one can present his or her resume or Vita. For whatever reason, you may choose to highlight yourself more than any other co-authors when the purpose of the resume is to highlight your own achievements. Some might even decide to say Jay Fox and other co-authors without naming the co-athors. It is a moral judgment on the part of the presenter but there is no crime committed. The readers of the resume will pull the article cited and they will find the original authors on the paper as you correctly described.

If I understand the scenario you described, you did not say, that the article was republished only that Prof. C is only focusing on his achievements in a resume and not you in the resume. If you want to prepare your own resume, you can still focus on your achievements as well and make the articles available to interested readers. The way you present yourself in your own resume is independent of how another person might want to present himself or herself.

Now, if the article/journal is republished, then you must read the article and make sure that every word is the same as the original article, including the title. If not, it is another article/journal or a re-study of the original study. Sometimes, authors represent an idea from a prior article in a practice or industry journal without taking anything a way from the original article.

CAUTION: If you are in academics or you plan to be, you should thread very carefully before you lay any complaint. Academics is a small industry, and you don't want to burn bridges before you get a chance to cross them. Remember "IT is not what you want to do, rather it is what you have to do"

If I were you I would focus on publishing more powerful journals than to fight over this. It is a useless fight, believe me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Odinioha: 7:58am On Sep 13, 2016
Friend,
The Prof has not plegiarised your work in any way. what he has done is still consistent with academic practices. He is only promoting his pages using every work he has been a contributor. You can as well do same thing by posting same materials in google, googlescholar, researchgate and other domains.mm
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by SirAweezy(m): 7:59am On Sep 13, 2016
mostyg:
That is not plagarism. The professor has not done anything WRONG. This is how researchgate and other similar websites work. As long as you are one of the authors and the journal permits self archiving, you can upload any article on your page.

With a Masters degree and a potential lecturer, you should know better.

The prof has even made your research popular by uploading on his page.

He is a professor already and does not need it for any promotion again.

Tell him again please!!
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Jethrolite(m): 7:59am On Sep 13, 2016
elhafeez:

his name was cited in the paper published.
I feel so ashamed that a topic like this is coming up in our academic community. This is actually not a case of plagiarism but republishing. That is the reason I advised him to write those journals that published the work and show them the original link. This op de lie o, the more I think of it the more it is impossible. No journal will publish a paper with accepted date or in PDF format.

Oga Guitarlife, are you sure you are into research at all?
What really happened, come and say the truth.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by elhafeez(m): 8:00am On Sep 13, 2016
OP yours is not called plagiarism. Mine is worse.
My undergraduate project was presented and published in a National conference in 2012 by my suppervisor. my name was not among the authors. the paper was awarded the best paper with a plague and 30,000.
He claimed the publishers omitted my name . he gave me 5K and said he will contact the publishers. Up till this moment I haven't heard from him.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 13, 2016
@Op, he has not done any plagiarism. And there is no way he could have done that. I have many articles in journals that my co-authors have uploaded as their papers on different sites e.g. research gate. This does not mean they have plagiarized me after all they were co-authors even though the papers were solely mine, still they supervised the work.

You need to be a bit careful here, about going around claiming you were plagiarized! For instance, there are situations where you give your project student a portion of a research you presently conduct, and you supervise the work from the beginning to the end, where the student just gather data alongside with you for his own thesis. The student involved cannot lay claim on such paper if published by the supervisor, but the supervisor may ad the student's name as a co-author if he wishes.

The arrangement of names on papers in journals clearly states the position of all authors as regards the paper. First, corresponding author, et al. And no body can alter that except the main author write the journal to that effect. You are the. author of your work and whoever downloads it on any site will see that too.

1 Like

Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by adioolayi(m): 8:00am On Sep 13, 2016
Kivaro:
It looks like you are getting it all wrong and making a mountain out of a mole hill. In academics there is what we call co-authorship and co-authors have equal right to use a co-authored article or journal anyway they see fit, regardless of who is the main author. As long as Prof. C contributed to the article, even merely proof-reading and he is brought in (by Prof. B, without your permission - Prof B must have mentioned it to you and you are probably too busy or excited at the time) as a co-author, then he is a legit co-author. This is a standard practice even in the Western world.

Additionally,there are many different ways one can present his or her resume or Vita. For whatever reason, you may choose to highlight yourself more than any other co-authors when the purpose of the resume is to highlight your own achievements. Some might even decide to say Jay Fox and other co-authors without naming the co-athors. It is a moral judgment on the part of the presenter but there is no crime committed. The readers of the resume will pull the article cited and they will find the original authors on the paper as you correctly described.

If I understand the scenario you described, you did not say, that the article was republished only that Prof. C is only focusing on his achievements in a resume and not you in the resume. If you want to prepare your own resume, you can still focus on your achievements as well and make the articles available to interested readers. The way you present yourself in your own resume is independent of how another person might want to present himself or herself.

Now, if the article/journal is republished, then you must read the article and make sure that every word is the same as the original article, including the title. If not, it is another article/journal or a re-study of the original study. Sometimes, authors represent an idea from a prior article in a practice or industry journal without taking anything a way from the original article.

CAUTION: If you are in academics or you plan to be, you should thread very carefully before you lay any complaint. Academics is a small industry, and you don't want to burn bridges before you get a chance to cross them. Remember "IT is not what you want to do, rather it is what you have to do"

If I were you I would focus on publishing more powerful journals than to fight over this. It is a useless fight, believe me.

@OP this is a detailed advise ...Just do all said here...I second every wordgrin
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by johnaruson(m): 8:01am On Sep 13, 2016
Why are you so confused, if he's co author that means he is author of the book, so he can quote him self as an author of the book where necessary (which he is), he never omitted you on the comprehensive ful work,. STOP bring kitchen complaint here, meet your English master.
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Jethrolite(m): 8:02am On Sep 13, 2016
elhafeez:
OP yours is not called plagiarism. Mine is worse.
My undergraduate project was presented and published in a National conference in 2012 by my suppervisor. my name was not among the authors. the paper was awarded the best paper with a plague and 30,000.
He claimed the publishers omitted my name . he gave me 5K and said he will contact the publishers. Up till this moment I haven't heard from him.
And you kept quite?
Re: A Prof Has Plagiarised My Research. by Katyusha(m): 8:03am On Sep 13, 2016
Guitarlife:
Some years ago I published a journal .

I was listed as the main author together with my major supervisor for my masters lets say Dr. B, I also listed Prof. C as a secondary author.

Now Prof C. Has moved to another school and immediately I recieved the pdf copy of the journal I forwarded it to Prof. C. Just to notify him.

On the pdf copy of the journal my name is listef as the main author together with Dr. B but Prof C. is only listed as a secondary author.

This journal is my original work and I collaborated mostly with Dr. B.

Fast forward this morning I was applying for some scholarships and needed to reference my journal so I just googled, Lo and behold Prof C. Has already uploaded the pdf copy of my research on many academic sites.

The pdf copy still carries my name and Dr. B as the main author and he as the secondary author but on those sites he claimed to be the main author and totally omitted my name.

Although if you go aheaf and download the said journal it still has my name as he only uploafed a pdf copy I sent to him and am sure he has left my name on it cos he couldnt edit it being a pdf format.

My concern is will I not be guilty of plagiarism if I lay claim to the journal ?

Please note that my name is referenced as the main author on the original site where the journal was published and even the journal has my name listed as the main author.

The majot concern is that every other place Prof C. Uploaded that journal he did not invlude my name although the uploaded material carries my name.

Please advise
Don't fight a battle you will never win. My alma mater U.I, is notorious for such cases. Most of these "scholars" become professors through tacit theft of projects by M.Sc and Ph.d students. They then make cosmetic changes to this projects and boom, they are giving innagural lectures with the same topics.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Work And Uses Of Psychologist? / Olabisi Onabanjo University Ago Iwoye Post Ume / Yabatech 2020/2021 Part Time Form Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.