Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola (31983 Views)

Ismail Damola Fantola Contesting For Oyo State House Of Assembly / Sorry Lagos, You Don’t Have Oil / U Can’t Diversify The Economy From Oil By Searching For Oil In The North- Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by RZArecta(m): 7:26am On Sep 19, 2016
This article is for critical & logical thinkers, please stúpid people and zombies should stay away. Thank

By Ade Damola

Since the news about first oil in Aje field, offshore Lagos have reached the wires, not a few Lagosians have openly rejoiced in their new status as an oil producing state. Forget that tripe about becoming a non-oil economy, most people I know want some oil to be found in their backyard. Credit goes to the Lagos government who has moved swiftly, earning early the rights to rents from Aje field from the Revenue Mobilisation and Fiscal Commission. But here is some good and bad news. Much oil and gas has been found and more would be found in the nearest future but Lagos would never benefit from it. Sadly.

I will tell you why.

Before February 2004, the onshore-offshore dichotomy and the 13% derivation principle were the basis for sharing oil wealth in Nigeria amongst the states and federal government. The onshore offshore dichotomy model was derived from the Exclusive Economic Zone Decree (1978) while Sani Abacha’s (yes, the much maligned Sani Abacha) 1995 constitutional conference prescribed and adopted the 13% derivation. With the onshore-offshore dichotomy, littoral states only earned their derivation entitlements from oil revenues found onshore and within their coastal baseline. When democracy returned, the governments of the Niger Delta states started agitating for the abolition of the onshore-offshore dichotomy and demanded access to resources offshore of their states.

In the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) which Nigeria has ratified and abides with (the USA is not a signatory yet, but that’s for another day) the following maritime zones are recognised:

(i) the 12 nautical mile (22 km) Territorial Sea (TS)

(ii) the additional 24 nautical mile (67 km) Contiguous Zone CZ (according to Article 33 of UNCLOS) making 36 nautical miles beyond the baseline;

(iii) the 200 nautical mile (370km) Exclusive Economic Zone EEZ from the baseline [according to Article 57 of UNCLOS]; this makes the territorial sea AND the Contiguous Zone PART of the EEZ, with an additional 176 nautical miles beyond the Contiguous Zone;

(iv) 350 nautical miles (650km) of the EEZ — (Extended EEZ)

The argument before February 2004 was whether the littoral states’ claims to environmental pollution and impact from oil fields far away and several kilometres into the exclusive economic zone were valid. The states wanted derivation to be based on all oil found within the 200 nautical miles EEZ (370 km) and this naturally drew a battle line between them and non-oil producing states. (Note that this states/federal government fight for revenue is popular amongst many oil producing countries — USA, Brazil, Libya etc.) The Obasanjo government in accommodating a solution settled on the onshore/offshore abrogation bill of February 2004 (backdated to April 2002) which describes the limit of the littoral states as the 200 metre water depth isobath contiguous to a State of the Federation.

Now that’s where the real problem lies.

Instead of using the 200 nautical miles (370 km) Exclusive Economic Zone EEZ as anticipated, the bill cleverly recommended a limit of ‘200 metre water depth isobath’. It was a masterstroke by Obasanjo, the Federalist. Now, what does an isobath mean? An Isobath is a line representing the horizontal contour of the sea bed at a given depth. Essentially a 200 metres Isobath, means a line representing the horizontal contour of the sea bed at 200 metres depth. In other words the 200 metres Isobath off the Nigerian Coast is a line joining all points off the coast of Nigeria (from Lagos to the boundary with Cameroon) where the sea is 200 metres deep. Are you getting the gist? So instead of a limit of 200 nautical miles distance from the shore, the states’ limit is 200 meter isobath depth from the shore. This has very serious consequences.

For states whose sea bed plunges sharply into the sea, the 200m water depth isobaths would be closer to shore while states with gently sloping sea beds would have a farther derivation belt. Lagos, Ogun and Ondo States’ sea bed are typically in the former category while the likes of Bayelsa, Rivers and Akwa Ibom are in the latter. I consulted a 2004 paper by Professor Itse Sagay in preparing this essay and in his estimate, Lagos’ derivation belt could be about 28km compared to Ondo’s of about 50km, Delta 60km, Bayelsa 70km, Rivers 70km, and Akwa Ibom 80km. Essentially, Akwa Ibom has a derivation zone about three times that of Lagos with the same isobath rule. See the map below and you know why Akwa-Ibom became the No1 oil state. The oil fields (in green) are more stretched along its deep sloping sea bed. Akwa Ibom won the maritime lottery. (For oil though because same issue is probably why ports have draught issues in the Niger Delta while Lagos attracts more Ports investment.

The sky blue shade is the shows the bathymetry of the coast.The sky blue shade is the shows the bathymetry of the coast.

Lagos has now been accredited for derivation by the RMAFC but in his speech to Governor Ambode, the Chairman of the Commission noted that Lagos is only qualified for derivation on production from 4 wells out of the five in the Aje field as the last well fell beyond the 200 isobath water depth. Note that the Aje field is just 24 kilometres from the coast of Lagos and in water depth of about 100 meters — a shallow, near-offshore field by industry deep-water standards. And there also lies the problem for Lagos. Most of the future production from offshore Lagos is farther into the Atlantic. Ogo field (OPL 310) with about 1 billion boe is farther ashore while OPL 325 also recently acquired by Lekoil are all beyond the short 200 isobath nature has bequeathed on Lagos. Even in OML 113 where Aje field is, further developments south of the field would offer Lagos no benefit. Lagos has no oil ladies and gentlemen. It’s only a little better than an inland state like Taraba.

Lagos may have to find a way to secure more oil rents, starting from the obvious. First, did Lagos independently verify the isobath measurement by RMAFC? Maybe an argument can be made for a reevaluation? The Lagos Development Commission bill, a replica of the Niger Delta Development Commission may be floated. Most of the fields offshore Lagos are gas rich. Lagos may start to collaborate with these companies on best ways to ensure the gas lands in Lagos. And ultimately, depending on the political possibilities, Lagos may collaborate with the Niger Delta to apply the 200 nautical miles limit instead of the isobath principle.
Over to you Ambode.

Follow Ade on twitter @Damoche

http://nairametrics.com/sorry-lagos-you-dont-have-oil/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by Orjioorji(f): 7:47am On Sep 19, 2016
this is a strong thought , we know its all propaganda, but the question is why will they result to laing ?

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by Emancipation: 7:51am On Sep 19, 2016
Asari Dakubo wasn't far from the truth when he said lagos has no oil.

Key points:

1) The Obasanjo government in accommodating a solution settled on the onshore/offshore abrogation bill of February 2004 (backdated to April 2002) which describes the limit of the littoral states as the 200 metre water depth isobath contiguous to a State of the Federation.

2) Instead of using the 200 nautical miles (370 km) Exclusive Economic Zone EEZ as anticipated, the bill cleverly recommended a limit of ‘200 metre water depth isobath’. It was a masterstroke by Obasanjo, the Federalist.

3) For states whose sea bed plunges sharply into the sea, the 200m water depth isobaths would be closer to shore while states with gently sloping sea beds would have a farther derivation belt.
Lagos, Ogun and Ondo States’ sea bed are typically in the former category while the likes of Bayelsa, Rivers and Akwa Ibom are in the latter.

4) Lagos has now been accredited for derivation by the RMAFC but in his speech to Governor Ambode, the Chairman of the Commission noted that Lagos is only qualified for derivation on production from 4 wells out of the five in the Aje field as the last well fell beyond the 200 isobath water depth. Note that the Aje field is just 24 kilometres from the coast of Lagos and in water depth of about 100 meters — a shallow, near-offshore field by industry deep-water standards. And there also lies the problem for Lagos. Most of the future production from offshore Lagos is farther into the Atlantic.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by OfficialAwol(m): 7:53am On Sep 19, 2016
I tried to understand what i am reading but cant tell if i did.

But i grabbed that lagos does have oil but simply cant benefit from it very much like the niger delta states.

I think this is the simple summary of the write up which makes mewonder why you had to punish us with "isobaths" and "cubic depth" lol

189 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by Emancipation: 8:09am On Sep 19, 2016
OfficialAwol:

But i grabbed that lagos does have oil but simply cant benefit from it very much like the niger delta states.

I think this is the simple summary of the write up which makes mewonder why you had to punish us with "isobaths" and "cubic depth" lol

It was obasanjo that did it when he was trying to cheat Niger deltans back in 2004 but now oil has been discovered in Lagos, it has totally backfired.

127 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by RZArecta(m): 8:15am On Sep 19, 2016
OfficialAwol:

no vex grin if I catch Ade, I'll slap him for you. Why I'm really happy about this article is because as a Niger Delta man, I've been disappointed with the way our leaders of thought go into negotiations without forming proper alliances while greed most times kills off most agitations that could benefit us. But with this scenario, I believe the legal luminaries of the SS/SW will have a field day fighting for a better equity sharing of resources using international law

18 Likes

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by hahn(m): 9:58am On Sep 19, 2016
Following smiley
Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by Izonpikin: 10:01am On Sep 19, 2016
i am so happy because soon the niger delta would have many hands joined together fighting the oil war against the fraudulent FG... cool cool cool

Only the discovery of oil can make an ignorant man wise and very soon the yorubas will wake up from their dream...this is some good news...

Also the fight for resource control will re-surface and niger deltans wont be alone in the war... cool cool cool

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by Izonpikin: 10:05am On Sep 19, 2016
Emancipation:

It was obasanjo that did it when he was trying to cheat Niger deltans back in 2004 but now oil has been discovered in Lagos, it has totally backfired.
not knowing that lagos one day would have to benefit...you see ehn..when God wan punish people na so e dey be...they thought marginalising the niger delta was to punish us not knowing that it was going to shoot them in the feet...

At least soon the niger delta would have neighbors who would be ready to fight for resource control and reforms in the oil and gas sector...bills like the PIB would be fully followed up by the south westerners... cool cool cool...

them never see anything yet...

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by Emancipation: 10:06am On Sep 19, 2016
Izonpikin:
i am so happy because soon the niger delta would have many hands joined together fighting the oil war against the fraudulent FG... cool cool cool

Only the discovery of oil can make an ignorant man wise and very soon the yorubas will wake up from their dream...this is some good news...

Also the fight for resource control will re-surface and niger deltans wont be alone in the war... cool cool cool

That's exactly what will happen because they (yorubas) dont have a choice anymore than to join and fight for resource control. They have cornered themselves.

This is a lesson for those who turn a blind eye to the injustice perpetuated to others while keep shouting one nigeria.

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by Emancipation: 10:09am On Sep 19, 2016
Izonpikin:
not knowing that lagos one day would have to benefit...you see ehn..when God wan punish people na so e dey be...they thought marginalising the niger delta was to punish us not knowing that it was going to shoot them in the feet...

At least soon the niger delta would have neighbors who would be ready to fight for resource control and reforms in the oil and gas sector...bills like the PIB would be fully followed up by the south westerners... cool cool cool...

them never see anything yet...

Exactly, the God of the Niger deltans and the oppressed will continue to fight their battles. its just a matter of time and Karma will catch them one by one.

45 Likes

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by abokibuhari: 10:09am On Sep 19, 2016
Yoruba mama why?

2 Likes

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by seunmsg(m): 10:10am On Sep 19, 2016
The opinion of the author is so on point. Personally, I don't think any state should benefit from oil exploration in the deep water. The exploration is so far away from onshore and any claim of environmental impact is just a political claim and not real. Resources found in the deep waters should belong to the federation for the benefit of all parts of the country.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by Izonpikin: 10:10am On Sep 19, 2016
Emancipation:

That's exactly what will happen because they (yorubas) dont have a choice anymore than to join and fight for resource control. They have cornered themselves.

This is a lesson for those who turn a blind eye to the injustice perpetuated to others while keep shouting one nigeria.
gbam/....lagosians would be fools not to fight for their God given resources...i just dey happy here wey i dey... grin grin grin

this is how oil fields like bonga was taken from the niger delta by the fraudulent FG...lagos go fight you go see... cheesy cheesy cheesy...e dey sweet me here

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by RZArecta(m): 11:03am On Sep 19, 2016
Izonpikin:

exactly my thought also

13 Likes

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by RZArecta(m): 11:07am On Sep 19, 2016
seunmsg:
The opinion of the author is so on point. Personally, I don't think any state should benefit from oil exploration in the deep water. The exploration is so far away from onshore and any claim of environmental impact is just a political claim and not real. Resources found in the deep waters should belong to the federation for the benefit of all parts of the country.
thank God its only your personal opinion and it will stay with you alone

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by richidinho(m): 11:39am On Sep 19, 2016
grin
Buhari real meaning of diversification is the searching of oil in maiduguri, katsina, Benue and Kaduna.

Also to pay 13% to Lagos for producing 1200barrels of oil daily

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by jjchizzy(m): 11:41am On Sep 19, 2016
I still believe nigerians should focus less on discovering oil.. There are other lucrative minerals.. Nickel was recently discovered y not intensify efforts on it

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by SuperBlack: 11:41am On Sep 19, 2016
The Lagos i know have Red Oil and Grandnut Oil.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by jhonnyman: 11:41am On Sep 19, 2016
hmmm
Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by kaen1317: 11:43am On Sep 19, 2016
And Buhari is busy searching for oil in the north like a madman

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by admax(m): 11:44am On Sep 19, 2016
Okay
Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by Icecomrade: 11:45am On Sep 19, 2016
Sad

1 Like

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 19, 2016
We Lagosians don't need oil to be discovered in Lagos . That will cause pollution here. Discover it elsewhere and embezzle the money to develop lasgidi. Yea that how we roll

14 Likes

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by kaen1317: 11:45am On Sep 19, 2016
Niger Delta feeding Nigeria since the 1800's

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by soberdrunk(m): 11:45am On Sep 19, 2016
Lagos has Fish, Fish has cod liver "oil", oil is oil........ angry angry

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by obailala(m): 11:45am On Sep 19, 2016
Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by davodyguy: 11:46am On Sep 19, 2016
so?

This is just semntics by Damola.

The exploration has begun and crude oil is being extracted and exported, with income being generated.

I'm not sure Lagos borders any of the NG states that would make them wants to lay claim to the other part of the water ways, where the oil can be explored.

All waters ways still belong to the FG.

Some people might misinterpret this, as if there was no discovery.

Get it. There was discovery in the water close to Lagos and as of now, Lagos State has be allocated ownership status of 4 oil wells.

Whether the 200 isobath was fraudulently introduced by OBJ or not, Lagos is now controlled by the party at the centre. With Fashola, Tinubu and Ambode, its only a matter of time, before the 2004 pact is reviewed for the benefit of all.

May be this is the only opportunity for that restructuring to take place. This means more money to the oil producing states. However, the negative part of this possible review is that the governors would probably still cheat the indigenes of the states. Even with 2004 pact, Lucky Igbenedon, James Ibori and Peter Odili, still stole billions from their states. Giving more money to their cronies in government now may spell doom for the people. With the FG having the money, you are guaranteed a good spread.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by salabscholar01(m): 11:46am On Sep 19, 2016
ok

1 Like

Re: Sorry Lagos, You Don't Have Oil By Ade Damola by ItsawrapOutfit: 11:46am On Sep 19, 2016
Hopeful minds at large

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obaseki & Shaibu Sworn In As Governor & Deputy Governor Of Edo Respectively(Pics / Nnia Nwodo: Any Igbo That Touches A Northerner Should Kill Me First / Reno Omokri: Bola Tinubu Attended And Graduated From Chicago State University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.