Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,654 members, 7,862,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:50 AM

Nigeria Is Getting Finished Slowly But Steadily-UN Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Getting Finished Slowly But Steadily-UN Report (885 Views)

I Walk Slowly, But I Never Walk Backward PMB / The Nigeria Army is Slowly But Steadily Destroying Boko Haram. / Aftermath Of Sanusi's Sack: Foreign Reserve & Excess Crude Account Rise Steadily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Getting Finished Slowly But Steadily-UN Report by Nchara: 3:28pm On Oct 12, 2009
Low rate of Nigeria's development worries UN

Puts life expectancy at 47.7 per cent
From Mathias Okwe and Emeka Anuforo, Abuja
THE United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has expressed dissatisfaction over the slow rate of development in Nigeria.

In the Human Development Report 2009 released in Abuja, UNDP put Nigeria's life expectancy at birth at 47.7 per cent. Adult literacy rate was put at 72 per cent while combined gross enrolment ration stood at 53.0 per cent. The nation's Gross Domestic Product (GDPP) per capita was put at $1, 969.

This year's report focuses on 'overcoming barriers, human mobility and development.'

On the human development index level, Nigeria lost a position from 157th position in the last report to 158 out of 182 countries. The human development index measures the average progress of a country in human development. Nigeria's human development index was put at 0.511 out of one used as benchmark.

The human poverty index for Nigeria stood at 36.2 per cent putting the country on the 114th position among 135 countries for which the index was calculated.

Human poverty index measures severe deprivation in health by the proportion of people, who are not expected to survive to age 40.

Nigeria's 47.7 per cent life expectancy level trailed those of many African countries, which stood far higher.

Uganda's life expectancy stood at 51.9 per cent; Cameroon 50.9 per cent, Sudan 57.9 per cent, South Africa 51.5 per cent, Morroco 71 per cent, Cape Verde 71 per cent, Kenya 53.6 per cent, Ghana 56.5 per cent

The report noted that there was the possibility that Nigeria's life expectancy could drop below 40 per cent by next year 2010.

In his remarks at the presentation of the report, UNDP Resident Representative, Mr. Turhan Saleh stressed that development was not just about the rate of economic growth or the quantum of wealth in a country, but rather, ultimately, about the expanding peoples' choices to live a full life-based on good health, education, income, respect for basic rights and sustainable use of its natural resources.

Of Nigeria, he said, "improvements in Nigeria's human development index have been slow over the past decades at less than 1 per cent per annum and the country scores well below standards of human development attained by countries at equivalent or lower levels of income. Moreover, there are major challenges with regard to human poverty, as well as, issues regarding gender equity."

He called attention for policy makers in Nigeria to hasten action and fasten up development processes so that Nigeria could do better in future report.

He continued, "countries with lesser income than Nigeria did much better than Nigeria in the report. Nigeria can do much to perform better with all its resources." He pledged the support of the UNDP on the nation's development plans.

His words, "we will do all we can as UNDP, working within the UN family and with other development partners, to contribute our expertise and financial resources to support the achievement of these national plans and priorities."
Re: Nigeria Is Getting Finished Slowly But Steadily-UN Report by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2009
E go better.
Re: Nigeria Is Getting Finished Slowly But Steadily-UN Report by snowdrops(m): 3:45pm On Oct 12, 2009
Am i bothered? Says president Yar a dua.
He is thinking of pulling out of the UN for their failure to respect Nigeria grin grin
Re: Nigeria Is Getting Finished Slowly But Steadily-UN Report by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 12, 2009
it seems every other day threads are opened by eager NLers to inform Nigerians that the country is finished.

Do people need a life or what.
Re: Nigeria Is Getting Finished Slowly But Steadily-UN Report by Fhemmmy: 3:51pm On Oct 12, 2009
Is UN lying, not at all, they are saying it the way it is and it is the fact.
Life expectancy is probably even lower than that, cos if some unecessary illness no kill people there, the bad vehicles shipped into the nation, that was never checked will kill the people, even the roads are all death traps, and in a nation where a father with more than one wife is living in one room with 10 kids, will be easy for all dem kids not to even see their own 10th birthday, will be easy for the women to die of HIV, cos the man will go out and phuck around without condoms.
So the UN is just telling people to brace for reality.
Re: Nigeria Is Getting Finished Slowly But Steadily-UN Report by snowdrops(m): 4:07pm On Oct 12, 2009
@tpia
Wetin be your own self. Life in Nigeria can be depressing so stop moaning.
If you want to be happy then stop reading the papers or visiting forums like this or better still so smoke cardboard wink wink
Re: Nigeria Is Getting Finished Slowly But Steadily-UN Report by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 12, 2009
snowdrops:

@tpia
Wetin be your own self. Life in Nigeria can be depressing so stop moaning.
If you want to be happy then stop reading the papers or visiting forums like this or better still so smoke cardboard wink wink

I know gay ganja smokers full this place and thats why I'm not surprised you're typing through a haze of smoke.

I'm sorry your life in Nigeria was so depressing, but I'm not God so there's really nothing I can do to stop your pain.

Is the ganja not helping enough?
Re: Nigeria Is Getting Finished Slowly But Steadily-UN Report by snowdrops(m): 7:31pm On Oct 12, 2009
I can see your post have cheered you up. Homo sapiens [you probably belong to the homo erectus species] like you get your highs by trading insults rather than facing the reality you or your family in Nigeria live in. Continue living in your cardboard-induced fantasy land.

(1) (Reply)

Killing: Residents Desert Streets In Ijebu-ife / Rotational Presidency: Fraud To Hold Unto Power By Northern Power Elite / Yaradua Speaks!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.