Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% (17855 Views)

Jumia Moves Farther From Profit, Posts USD 61 Million Loss In Six Months / Banking Sector Profit Falls By 28% – Report / Customs Blames CBN’s Policies As Revenue Falls By N230bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by ayusco85(m): 6:50am On Sep 23, 2016
Blame the ineffectual buhari

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by discusant: 6:50am On Sep 23, 2016
A few days ago, Baba Buhari told Oyibo people in Europe and America and Asia that Nigeria is the most friendly country for them to invest.

Oyibo laugh tire. Nigeria has been graded as "Junk" Economy days before Baba told the lies.

Baba and telling lies are inseparable like sugar and garri.

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by MrMcJay(m): 6:51am On Sep 23, 2016
Any business that is focused on retailing largely imported items is bound to suffer losses at this time of increased exchange rate and reduced purchasing power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by sademola: 6:51am On Sep 23, 2016
The loss isn't only in Nigeria but in Africa!
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by xtervaganza(m): 6:53am On Sep 23, 2016
LastMumu:
No be person way get money go visit Jumia say him wan buy something? Last year wey money dey my hand wey recession never come, Na everyday I dey visit Jumia and Konga, this year I never visit their site once at all. Recession ti take over. angry
bro, this your comment just made me realise I haven't visited jumia this year for real.

Just last year I visit at least 3 times a week looking for bargain

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by kaen1317: 6:54am On Sep 23, 2016
almost everything relies on the oil from the Niger Delta. When the oil bleeds everything suffers including Lagos, cotonou etc. They all suffer because the battery is low and it can no longer power the system as before. The Niger Delta should be treated with respect that it deserves

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Ijaya123: 6:54am On Sep 23, 2016
blueto:

[s]Doltish thrash.

But there is an even deeper reason for why Nigeria is experiencing this unprecedented economic recession and that is that even when President Buhari eventually came around to constituting his cabinet, he peopled it with individuals whose capacity to deliver the goods is at best suspect.

Let me elucidate this with a statement made by President Buhari’s minister of sports and broadcast on Channels television today Tuesday the 20th of September, 2016.Said Mr. Solomon Dalung, *‘the disabled athletes have shown that all you need is a winning mentality and not too much preparation.’*

Can you imagine that coming from a minister and member of the federal executive council?

But why should we be surprised? Nigerians are witnesses to the utterances of the minister of information, the aptly named Lai Mohammed, who blamed any good thing that happened in Nigeria immediately after President Buhari’s inauguration not on any form of preparation but on the President’s ‘body language’.

Early rains fell in obeisance to the President’s body language. Barren women became fertile as a result of President Buhari’s miraculous powers of non verbal communication. All kinds of orishirishi were attributed to body language.

One wonders where the fabled ‘body language’ was when it came to fighting the recession.

The truth is that preparation, pure preparation (that word that Mr. Dalung and other operatives of this administration hate to hear) is the only thing that can increase the likelihood of success in any venture including governance. As it is commonly said ‘those who fail to plan, plan to fail’.

And the reason why Mr. Osinbajo and his co travelers will continue to shift blame from individual to individual is because they do not have the strength of character to accept responsibility for their actions.

At this juncture, it will be pertinent of me to remind Lai Mohammed of his words uttered on the 25th of May, 2014 when he said ‘a government that is unwilling to take any responsibility for anything, should not be counted upon.’ Right back at you Mr. Mohammed, right back at you!

President Buhari has to quickly learn that the more you blame others, the more power you surrender. The more you accept responsibility, the more power you take.

Early in 2015, Pastor Osinbajo called then President Jonathan’s administration a ‘visionless’ government. I would like to define the vision of change that Mr. Osinbajo and his boss promised us based on what we have seen so far.

Mr. Osinbajo’s vision for change is defined as a sports minister who believes athletes do not need training,a finance minister who thinks recession is just a word, a science and technology minister who aspires to produce pencils in two years,an information minister who wants to generate jobs via masquerade dressing, an interior minister who uses his security to publicly shine his shoes rather than secure the interior of his country, an agriculture minister who fights for land for cows instead of farmers, a labor minister who threatens banks with revocation of license when they retrench workers due to bad economy, a communications minister who wants us to pay 9% tax on calls, a transport minister who gives one President credit for a railway built by another President, an economic adviser who wants women to donate their jewelry to help government fight recession and a Presidential spokesman who believes critics are ‘wailers’ all led by a President who believes#ChangeBeginsWithMe not him, though he was the one who promised it!
[/s]

When compared to its net loss recorded in last year, the company has managed to reduce its loss by 19%. In the first half of 2015, the company recorded a net loss of EUR43.7 million.

I guess you're too blinded by baseless hatred to see that. Go read that story again and compare their finances of last year and this year.

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by princetom1(m): 6:56am On Sep 23, 2016
lyterydim:
Please am in south Africa and I haven't done the bank verification number ,I intend swifting money to the account...is there any disadvantaged

Voicemail
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by rabex123(m): 6:57am On Sep 23, 2016
Coolgent:
Who care! Who Jumia epp?
Abi ohh..or better still

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Ebimablog: 6:58am On Sep 23, 2016
lyterydim:
Please am in south Africa and I haven't done the bank verification number ,I intend swifting money to the account...is there any disadvantaged

You won't be able to withdraw from the account if u wire in some money until you do the verification
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Tinyemeka(m): 6:58am On Sep 23, 2016
wontiboje:
Jumia, Rocket Internet's eCommerce group in Nigeria and Africa has just released its 2016 half year consolidated result showing the company recorded a net loss of EUR35.4 million within the period.

When compared to its net loss recorded in last year, the company has managed to reduce its loss by 19%. In the first half of 2015, the company recorded a net loss of EUR43.7 million.

Also on the topline, Jumia's revenue also fell by 56%. With the first half of this year, net revenue was EUR33.0 million compared to last year when it recorded EUR75.8 million f0r the first half of 2015.

Source: https://pageone.ng/2016/09/22/jumia-35-4-million-loss/

It's expected. The loss position has been reducing overtime. With a competent management, workforce, and barring a persistent unfavourable financial climate, they may breakeven in 24 months.

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by engrrichie92(m): 7:02am On Sep 23, 2016
In this recesson, na olx and jiji sure pass now
fairly used ti take over
The funny part is even on olx site, you will see jumia ads everywhere
they themselves know people have ported to Olx sharp sharp
but my confusion now is what's the rationale behind jumia ad on olx
if truly they know most people visit this site because it's affordable compared to theirs
will seeing their ads on the site change my mind ni?
coz i dont understand grin
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by miqos02(m): 7:03am On Sep 23, 2016
who cause this?
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by kraizybone(m): 7:14am On Sep 23, 2016
blueto:

Doltish thrash.

But there is an even deeper reason for why Nigeria is experiencing this unprecedented economic recession and that is that even when President Buhari eventually came around to constituting his cabinet, he peopled it with individuals whose capacity to deliver the goods is at best suspect.

Let me elucidate this with a statement made by President Buhari’s minister of sports and broadcast on Channels television today Tuesday the 20th of September, 2016.Said Mr. Solomon Dalung, *‘the disabled athletes have shown that all you need is a winning mentality and not too much preparation.’*

Can you imagine that coming from a minister and member of the federal executive council?

But why should we be surprised? Nigerians are witnesses to the utterances of the minister of information, the aptly named Lai Mohammed, who blamed any good thing that happened in Nigeria immediately after President Buhari’s inauguration not on any form of preparation but on the President’s ‘body language’.

Early rains fell in obeisance to the President’s body language. Barren women became fertile as a result of President Buhari’s miraculous powers of non verbal communication. All kinds of orishirishi were attributed to body language.

One wonders where the fabled ‘body language’ was when it came to fighting the recession.

The truth is that preparation, pure preparation (that word that Mr. Dalung and other operatives of this administration hate to hear) is the only thing that can increase the likelihood of success in any venture including governance. As it is commonly said ‘those who fail to plan, plan to fail’.

And the reason why Mr. Osinbajo and his co travelers will continue to shift blame from individual to individual is because they do not have the strength of character to accept responsibility for their actions.

At this juncture, it will be pertinent of me to remind Lai Mohammed of his words uttered on the 25th of May, 2014 when he said ‘a government that is unwilling to take any responsibility for anything, should not be counted upon.’ Right back at you Mr. Mohammed, right back at you!

President Buhari has to quickly learn that the more you blame others, the more power you surrender. The more you accept responsibility, the more power you take.

Early in 2015, Pastor Osinbajo called then President Jonathan’s administration a ‘visionless’ government. I would like to define the vision of change that Mr. Osinbajo and his boss promised us based on what we have seen so far.

Mr. Osinbajo’s vision for change is defined as a sports minister who believes athletes do not need training,a finance minister who thinks recession is just a word, a science and technology minister who aspires to produce pencils in two years,an information minister who wants to generate jobs via masquerade dressing, an interior minister who uses his security to publicly shine his shoes rather than secure the interior of his country, an agriculture minister who fights for land for cows instead of farmers, a labor minister who threatens banks with revocation of license when they retrench workers due to bad economy, a communications minister who wants us to pay 9% tax on calls, a transport minister who gives one President credit for a railway built by another President, an economic adviser who wants women to donate their jewelry to help government fight recession and a Presidential spokesman who believes critics are ‘wailers’ all led by a President who believes#ChangeBeginsWithMe not him, though he was the one who promised it!
Bro, your analytics is topnotch. We should get you on Channels this morning. Bravo!!

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by ojialo(m): 7:17am On Sep 23, 2016
lyterydim:
contact your bank
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Einl(m): 7:19am On Sep 23, 2016
lyterydim:

Do your BVN first.
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by popye(m): 7:22am On Sep 23, 2016
I hope this won't affect their affiliate program.. Hnmm! God help us.
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Ijaya123: 7:23am On Sep 23, 2016
eleojo23:

Please just shut up.

Doing GEJ's time in office, it was OK to blame the president for everything that went wrong but now in Buhari's time, it is no longer OK to blame the president. Rather we should blame the past president. What nonsense!

That is hypocrisy at it's finest and it stinks!

keep up the blame game. If it makes your life better.
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Nobody: 7:23am On Sep 23, 2016
Ijaya123:

I guess you're too blinded by baseless hatred to see that. Go read that story again and compare their finances of last year and this year.
Very Silly of rebarbative zombies
Guinness Nigeria Post First Loss In 30 Years
Revenue dropped 14 per cent to N102bn due to the “effect of foreign-exchange policy and the devaluation of the naira’’
http://punchng.com/guinness-nigeria-posts-first-loss-30-years/

are you so blinded by your irrational enmity with GEJ that your thinking faculty is not able to descry that Buhari is killing the economy with his pernicious policies, cluelessness and incapacitations??

Illogical and resentful zombies everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by rhymaholic: 7:23am On Sep 23, 2016
Op should have also told the public that Jumia have never posted profit since inception. Stop making it look like the recession caused it so they can blame Buhari as usual. Jumia is a startup company that's less than 6 years. Profit would come along the line.

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by diegwu01: 7:26am On Sep 23, 2016
We all have lived fake lives during our times of Plenty, Nigeria is returning to its Default mode. this is the Change we've craved for.
We sympathize with Jumia,
Nigerians have decided to look inwards and patronize our own "made in Nigeria" products, this would be the best way to grow our economy,
Nigerians have decided to become Producers and manufacturer themselves rather than Consumers, The era of our lust for imported good is over, jumia exploited this opportunity and made insane profits in their early years, they could restructure like Konga has done and encourage marketing of local products and promote young and upcoming Nigerian entrepreneurs and products and their profits would stream in in no distant time
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Ijaya123: 7:26am On Sep 23, 2016
blueto:
Very Silly of rebarbative zombies
Guinness Nigeria Post First Loss In 30 Years
http://punchng.com/guinness-nigeria-posts-first-loss-30-years/

are you so blinded by your irrational enmity with GEJ that thinking faculty is not able to descry that Buhari is killing the economy with his pernicious policies, cluelessness and incapacitations??

Illogical and resentful zombies everywhere.

Quit derailing the thread and go back to the story of Jumia. If you don't have comprehension problem, read this again. ...When compared to its net loss recorded in last year, the company has managed to reduce its loss by 19%. In the first half of 2015, the company recorded a net loss of EUR43.7 million.
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by vivaciousvivi(f): 7:27am On Sep 23, 2016
My God, this company shouldn't buckle and fold o...that's like 3,000 or more direct job losses.
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by buchilino(m): 7:32am On Sep 23, 2016
blueto:

Doltish trash.

KAI OL BOY U REALLY FINISH DAT GUY WELL WELL.

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Nobody: 7:33am On Sep 23, 2016
Ijaya123:
For all those wailing zombies up there who don't read before commenting, this financial result is even better than that of same period last year.

You all need to blame GEJ, the Ineffectual Buffoon for that as well.
Buhari has traded your brain with the devil...
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by la1(m): 7:34am On Sep 23, 2016
diegwu01:
We all have lived fake lives during our times of Plenty, Nigeria is returning to its Default mode. this is the Change we've craved for.
We sympathize with Jumia,
Nigerians have decided to look inwards and patronize our own "made in Nigeria" products, this would be the best way to grow our economy,
Nigerians have decided to become Producers and manufacturer themselves rather than Consumers, The era of our lust for imported good is over, jumia exploited this opportunity and made insane profits in their early years, they could restructure like Konga has done and encourage marketing of local products and promote young and upcoming Nigerian entrepreneurs and products and their profits would stream in in no distant time

correction @ Bolded ; JUMIA has never made a profit since inception in Nigeria, plus the article reflects a Pan African report of the parent company's financial position

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Nobody: 7:36am On Sep 23, 2016
Ijaya123:

Quit derailing the thread and go back to the story of Jumia. If you don't have comprehension problem, read this again. ...When compared to its net loss recorded in last year, the company has managed to reduce its loss by 19%. In the first half of 2015, the company recorded a net loss of EUR43.7 million.
gringrin Very silly, now I see that zombies brains are tacky. why do you think I projected that post? it was to accentuate the causes, not for the purpose of derailing. so you ought to have deduced that the 56% revenue fall of jumia, the usual fall of Guinness revenue, the 4.5m job loss, the contraction and so on are a result of the execrable policies of the certificateless cattle rearer gringringrin

I hope the goofy zombies see that grin
Revenue dropped 14 per cent to N102bn due to the “effect of foreign-exchange policy and the devaluation of the naira’’

1 Like

Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by jodeci(m): 7:37am On Sep 23, 2016
They will continue to incur losses with their FAKE products.
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Nobody: 7:37am On Sep 23, 2016
buchilino:

KAI OL BOY U REALLY FINISH DAT GUY WELL WELL.
grin thank you.
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by ednut1(m): 7:38am On Sep 23, 2016
Eyah. They should stop selling fake things too
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by Grundig: 7:41am On Sep 23, 2016
Cmon people.

You guys should read. They are actually moving out of red and into green.
Re: Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% by HtwoOw: 7:42am On Sep 23, 2016
fados4sure:
Change has finally come

PDP was a fraud why APC is a scam

Pada si ile-iwe eko girama

Ki o le gbo oyinbo dara dara

Back to topic, I personally don't shop with jumia , to me thier interface sucks, customer service sucks and I don't trust thier ads

Ads like Dubai weekend 120k

Ghana excursion 70k by road

I earn my money, I don't want somebody to come and show me Lagos grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Economic Recession May Last 20 Years – Jimoh Ibrahim / A Comprehensive "guarantor's Form" To An Employee / Top 10 Import Portals To Source Your Quality Products From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.