Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,905 members, 7,821,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses (1809 Views)

Norsemen Confraternity Members Protest In Support Of SARS In Cross River. Photos / Amnesty International Accuses EU Of Having A Secret Deal With Libya, Shares Vide / Photos Of Libya Slave Trade, Torture & Killings Surface (Viewer's Discretion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by tetengi4life(m): 9:06am On Sep 25, 2016
Introduction
Amnesty International (AI) is a global human right organization that came into Nigeria some years ago.
If you could remember last month when some group where protesting at UN and US embassy for them to help Nigeria chase Amnesty International out of Nigeria. Saying that we (AI) is damaging the image of Nigeria simply because the World respects our report and we do not, I mean, never report anything without substantial backing/evidence because we know the legal implications. And we have won Nobel Peace Prize for our works
AI focuses on some key Areas, Death Penalty, Torture, Force Eviction, Peace and Security.
If you could remember last time we protested against Capital punishment at Indonesian embassy around the world including Nigeria. That was Under CAPITAL PUNISHMENT. Many groups abandoned the 5 Nigerians before their executions including the government but AI was there to fight to commute their punishment. Some citizens even berates us but one day we hope you will understand our importance in your shore (Nigeria)
Pic 1: capital punishment protest at Indonesian embassy months ago

Pic 2: during the official SARS Torture report launching at Umaru Musa Yar’adua Center @ Central Business District Abuja

Pictures 3&4: are when I and Mr John (AI Intern) were writing down the minutes of the confessions and recommendations

https://www.nairaland.com/3254322/amnesty-internationl-protesting-front-indonesian

http://amnesty.org.ng/news/184/nigeria-special-police-squad-‘get-rich’-torturing-detainees-and-demanding-bribes-exchange

Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by tetengi4life(m): 9:17am On Sep 25, 2016
http://amnesty.org.ng/news/184/nigeria-special-police-squad-‘get-rich’-torturing-detainees-and-demanding-bribes-exchange

CONFESSIONS FROM VICTIMS OF TORTURE/MURDER

On the 21st of September, 2016, AI launched it official report on SARS (Okwuzu Anambra State)Torture/Murder. Where we interviewed 65 Victims of SARS Torture/Murder, 4 of which were present at the report launch

VICTIM I (Mr UgwuOluchi) her husband was tortured to death

“My husband was arrested on 29th of Nov., 2015 when he had quarrel with his relative. He was reported to SARS police. They came to our house, they dragged him to their vehicle as they were beating him at the same time. This happened around 1:00am he was shouting; do you want to kill me. One of the police was saying; die, you know one die, until they took him to their station (Okwuzu). When they reach the station, the man gave up the ghost because he was beaten to death.
According to one of the inmates, whom said as police brought in the man into their cell, they touched him, the body wasn’t moving by then, the man has already gone. Murdered in cold blood by the torture from SARS police.
When we brought food for him the next day, the police collected our food and money without our knowledge that my husband is already dead.
Now, I am alone, left with 4 kids to cater for (crying… crying… crying….)
They even refused to return his corpse to us saying that why did we report to National Human Right Commission and Amnesty International.”
This happened under the leadership of a very feared police officer called JAMES NWAFOR a.k.a Supreme Commander
I shall tell you some details about this man in my last article.

NOTE: the images here do not represent the victims as it will be improper the post their photos without their approval or protection. AI does not betray The TRUST of its Allies

Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by tetengi4life(m): 9:18am On Sep 25, 2016
VICTIM II (Mrs IfeyinwaKelistus)

“On the 29th of May, 2014, someone came to call me that my husband has been arrested by SARS. As I went there, they arrested me while I was still nursing my months old baby. At 3:00am they took us to SARS Okwuzu where one of them told me that my husband confessed that he has a gun at the top of his house ceiling. After sometime I was released and they said, I will not see my husband again unless I bring 500 thousand Naira and I should never come back to the station without the money, if not, they will shoot me.
My husband’s brother who is a lawyer went to the commander of the SARS Okwuzu (JAMES NWAFOR), he said at the man’s door, it is boldly written, the SUPREME COMMANDER. When he entered the office, Nwafor started shouting at him that; what is he doing here, he started threatening him. By then, they have already killed my husband (his brother). They laid allegation on him that he is a kidnapper, and a car theft.
We took the matter to the higher authority, but no one could talk against JAMES NWAFOR because he is backed by powerful men including the present Governor.”
The same name still appeared here; JAMES NWAFOR

Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by tetengi4life(m): 9:19am On Sep 25, 2016
VICTIM III (Brother of Murdered late Chibuike Edu)

“My younger brother (22 years) was working in a toiletry factory. One day, there was a robbery in the company, and my brother chibuike was accused of being one of the culprits simply because he picked a recharge card at the scene of the crime. He was arrested by SARS and was detained inOkwuzu. When we went to see him, he had so many bruises on him as a result of torture. He was narrating to us that they woke him up around 1:00am, torturing him to confess to commit a crime that he knows nothing about. He insisted that he will not, he will rather die standing on his truth; that was how they continued to torture him until he collapsed and was taken to hospital, that was where he died. They was how they Murderedmy younger brother Chibuike and when we went to the mogue to see his corpse, the corpse was tagged “Arm Robber.”

Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by tetengi4life(m): 9:20am On Sep 25, 2016
VICTIM IV (Mudered Son of Senator ChukwuemekaOkoro)
“My murdered son, John ChukwuemekaOkoro was 31 years, he studied and graduated in London. After his studies abroad I forced him against his will to come back to Nigeria to take over my business. In August 2014, they called me that my son has been murdered by the police. He was killed by a police officer called MUHAMMED YUSUF at Durumi Area 1 Abuja. After his murder, they took his corpse to Gwagwa-Lada. As I was devastated, I travelled to Gwagwa-ladato see the corpse of my son, what I saw nearly made me mad. According to the autopsy, they first shot him in the leg, they now shot him 3 times to his heart. The police man that killed him was even arrogantly saying, nothing will happen, to the point where he even wrote down his detailsfor me in a paper (Muhammaed Yusuf with service number A-79224 FCT SARS with his phone number) saying I should take him anywhere I like.
I reported him and his colleagues to the police hierarchy under the leadership of AbdullahiAbbah (former IGP). They were dismissed from service but they were not tried in the court for the murder. As I am talking to you now, Muhammed Yusuf and his colleagues have not been tried, the police said that they escaped and could not be found.”
Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by tetengi4life(m): 9:21am On Sep 25, 2016
JAMES NWOYE(SARS Okwuzu Commander)And“The BLACK CELL”

According to the victims, he is in charge of the SARS Okwuzu. Written boldly at his door is “supreme commander”. So many atrocities have happened under his watch, some of which is torture and murder. SARS Okwuzu has a small cell called “black cell or point and kill” where they place people that they will kill. In fact, one of the victims who describes the room to us said if you are not discrete enough you will not notice the room on your entrance into the station, it is well hidden to escape supervision.
He said, Supreme Commander kills at will and the bike riders outside the gate said; the SARS Okwuzustation usually do their killings mostly Wednesday nights and it is tagged “clean up”. To save the people of the state, he was transferred to Bauchi State. As the new Governor (His Excellency Mr Willie Obiano) came in, they brought him back to continue his “clean up”. They said he has powerful men supporting him as such he can do anything he wants and go scot-free unquestioned.”
From the outcome of our discussions with the top officers of Nigerian Police, we recommended that Mr JAMES NWOYE be arrested, investigated by fair party and be prosecuted according to his crime(s). And the operation of SARS Okwuzu be restructured or disbanded. Not only that, other SARS stations should be monitored closely to avoid torture, extrajudicial killings and other forms of human rights abuses.
Thank You
Muhammad Idris (Tetengi)
(Amnesty International Activist/Volunteer)
Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by joe4real12: 9:29am On Sep 25, 2016
Police!
Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by tetengi4life(m): 9:31am On Sep 25, 2016
Kudos to Amnesty International and it Partners. SARS Is currently undergoing restructuring because of our AI reports on Torture and Murder.
aitonline.tv/post-you_are_not_authorised_to
The Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, has warned the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) operatives against torture and extra-judicial killings, saying no policeman in the world had the right or authority to kill crime suspects.

Mr. Idris admonished the SARS personnel to always respect the right of every Nigerian, noting that this was the way they could change the negative public perception about them.

Addressing SARS operatives and their commanders from various state commands at the Force Headquarters on Thursday in Abuja, the IG, in a veiled reference to the Amnesty International’s criticism of the squad, stated that the policemen had a lot to do to correct the public perception that they did not follow due process in their operations.

He said that the squad would undergo retraining and restructuring, adding that the civil society organisations would be involved in the revamping process to contribute to the training programme.

Mr. Idris stated that the squad would have an intelligence arm to assist with intelligence gathering, stressing that the SARS’ operation would be intelligence-led, henceforth.

According to the IG, the operatives would be issued new badges and placed under state Commissioners of Police, while those in Abuja and Lagos would be under the Deputy Inspector-General of Police in charge of operations.

He warned against the use of excessive force and reckless use of firearms, which he said could cause public panic.

He said: “You should respect the constitutional right of every Nigerian; you don’t have authority to take lives, you don’t have authority to change a civil case to a criminal case, you don’t have the right to torture suspects.

“You should conduct yourself to the admiration of the people. Don’t portray yourself as a demon. SARS is not devilish; you have to change the face of SARS by handling cases justly. Don’t turn the complainant into a criminal. You have to be sincere in dealing with the public.”

Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by hungryboy(m): 9:41am On Sep 25, 2016
I dey fear those SARS people sha,
Dem no dey waste time to kill pesin,
Na so dem torture me last year sotey I almost agree say na me be the Imam Shekau were Government dey find

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 25, 2016
By:Prof. Issah Danladi
Sunday message
Worship centre. #changebeginswithme
Some people thinks dat d change can actually happen without dem actively getting involved. The only thing some people ar gud at on social media now is to blame, hate and tribalism.
Change begins with all of us, we shud respect the law, dats how it's done in developed countries, dat tin u are running away to see in countries dat dnt nid u but kill ur people, do it here so dat people who ran away can come back home.
Give information to d police, dats d duty of everyone according to d Constitution, d Constitution covers all laws, it's d minimum standard where all oda laws ar derived, so know d laws cus some people tink Constitution is d only law, also know d police control room number of ur state pending wen a national shortcode is created, dats d first step of keeping urself safe. U will neva knw hw responsive and helpful dey ar until u try them not jst join d mass to talk against ur police. Don't run wen invited or visited by d police. Go and explain wat u knw. Ur willingness to assist an investigation will further free u from dat case since the IPO is human and will see how helpful u hav been in unraveling d truth.
Don't b abusive wen u meet law enforcement officers,talk to dem wit respect if u want dem to respect ur person, respect is reciprocal. Stop shouting how bad ur police is wen other countries police ar worst, yes, u sit at home watching censored US police films and u dnt knw dat doz ar security psychological strategies to keep America safe. It's only in Nigeria dat nollywood, individuals say tinz against dia police. How will dey treat u well too. It is d way Africans especially Nigerians behave dat make dia military and there civil police to brutalize dem. Where people respect d law or demselve by obeying simple STOP order, don't park order, traffic ruke like UK, USA, check how dia police treat dem. How do dey also treat offenders. The truth is no police has d right to violate ur right if u av not offended but Nigerians ar always offenders either by word of mouth, body language or actions
Ur response to an officer wen stopped, invited, arrested or approached will determine how u ar treated honestly. Y not simply follow d officer so long as u hav committed an offence and he is genuinely on official capacity to enforce d arrest. Some of us don't even knw d law, there are offenses dat arrest can be with warrant and there are some which d offences do not require warrant before u ar arrested. Police has several powers including to stop and search u if he suspects u, transfer u to relevant agency for further investigation and prosecution. There ar some simple offences which u shouldn't spend more dan 24hrs in d station, there ar d ones dat u will face d investigation for months. It's more of a problem even among d educated aged people who wrote waec from year 2000 up, it's becus most of them didn't do civics in sch, dats y dey hav refused to embrace civility.
Some of us will b d first to want to bribe the police, and complain ur money was extorted, why won't u want to bribe wen u knw u hav committed and if prosecution is activated, u will end up in jail. Truth is d police will enforce all d laws and simple offences rather Dan settling some, d prisons will b overcrowded wich it is already overcrowded even.
So d purpose of my preaching is for u dat is reading diz to respect ur self, stop complaining. Treat d police right if u want them to treat u right, many who hav frends or married to a forceman will testify how friendly diz guys can be. No dull moment with them at all wich make me to concur dat police is truly ur frend. Only criminals dislike d police and dats y some people called Nigerians criminals in UK.
Govt shud kit the police up to international standard so dat we can b proud of dem again. There bosses shud sit and discuss hw to improve d welfare allowances of their men. we want to see a police with all d operational waist kits and communication gadget complete. We want a national shortcode like the 911 in d USA for easy emergency calls. Nigeria is truly growing under d recession cus everyone is now thinking right. If not for d police, d country will hav been divided, invaded and disintegrated over d years, imagine one hour in naija without police, so we hail our service men both past present and serving.
Prof. Isah Danladi
Sunday message
Worship center
*****Share till buhari sees today church message***
*****preaching shud encourage morality, unity of a nation and national development and not just giving, lunching and motivation and progress***_
happy Sunday!
Disclaimer: copied as shared but I think it's a nice
Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by derolemode(m): 10:16am On Sep 25, 2016
Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by tetengi4life(m): 6:01pm On Sep 25, 2016
liveshady:
By:Prof. Issah Danladi
Sunday message
Worship centre. #changebeginswithme
Some people thinks dat d change can actually happen without dem actively getting involved. The only thing some people ar gud at on social media now is to blame, hate and tribalism.
Change begins with all of us, we shud respect the law, dats how it's done in developed countries, dat tin u are running away to see in countries dat dnt nid u but kill ur people, do it here so dat people who ran away can come back home.
Give information to d police, dats d duty of everyone according to d Constitution, d Constitution covers all laws, it's d minimum standard where all oda laws ar derived, so know d laws cus some people tink Constitution is d only law, also know d police control room number of ur state pending wen a national shortcode is created, dats d first step of keeping urself safe. U will neva knw hw responsive and helpful dey ar until u try them not jst join d mass to talk against ur police. Don't run wen invited or visited by d police. Go and explain wat u knw. Ur willingness to assist an investigation will further free u from dat case since the IPO is human and will see how helpful u hav been in unraveling d truth.
Don't b abusive wen u meet law enforcement officers,talk to dem wit respect if u want dem to respect ur person, respect is reciprocal. Stop shouting how bad ur police is wen other countries police ar worst, yes, u sit at home watching censored US police films and u dnt knw dat doz ar security psychological strategies to keep America safe. It's only in Nigeria dat nollywood, individuals say tinz against dia police. How will dey treat u well too. It is d way Africans especially Nigerians behave dat make dia military and there civil police to brutalize dem. Where people respect d law or demselve by obeying simple STOP order, don't park order, traffic ruke like UK, USA, check how dia police treat dem. How do dey also treat offenders. The truth is no police has d right to violate ur right if u av not offended but Nigerians ar always offenders either by word of mouth, body language or actions
Ur response to an officer wen stopped, invited, arrested or approached will determine how u ar treated honestly. Y not simply follow d officer so long as u hav committed an offence and he is genuinely on official capacity to enforce d arrest. Some of us don't even knw d law, there are offenses dat arrest can be with warrant and there are some which d offences do not require warrant before u ar arrested. Police has several powers including to stop and search u if he suspects u, transfer u to relevant agency for further investigation and prosecution. There ar some simple offences which u shouldn't spend more dan 24hrs in d station, there ar d ones dat u will face d investigation for months. It's more of a problem even among d educated aged people who wrote waec from year 2000 up, it's becus most of them didn't do civics in sch, dats y dey hav refused to embrace civility.
Some of us will b d first to want to bribe the police, and complain ur money was extorted, why won't u want to bribe wen u knw u hav committed and if prosecution is activated, u will end up in jail. Truth is d police will enforce all d laws and simple offences rather Dan settling some, d prisons will b overcrowded wich it is already overcrowded even.
So d purpose of my preaching is for u dat is reading diz to respect ur self, stop complaining. Treat d police right if u want them to treat u right, many who hav frends or married to a forceman will testify how friendly diz guys can be. No dull moment with them at all wich make me to concur dat police is truly ur frend. Only criminals dislike d police and dats y some people called Nigerians criminals in UK.
Govt shud kit the police up to international standard so dat we can b proud of dem again. There bosses shud sit and discuss hw to improve d welfare allowances of their men. we want to see a police with all d operational waist kits and communication gadget complete. We want a national shortcode like the 911 in d USA for easy emergency calls. Nigeria is truly growing under d recession cus everyone is now thinking right. If not for d police, d country will hav been divided, invaded and disintegrated over d years, imagine one hour in naija without police, so we hail our service men both past present and serving.
Prof. Isah Danladi
Sunday message
Worship center
*****Share till buhari sees today church message***
*****preaching shud encourage morality, unity of a nation and national development and not just giving, lunching and motivation and progress***_
happy Sunday!
Disclaimer: copied as shared but I think it's a nice

What is your point in this long epistle?
Or are u a police officer.
Even in USA that you made reference to, there wouldn't be a #BlackLifeMatters campaign against killings if the country is perfect.
But where they are better than us is that they punish their police officers for their crimes

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by tetengi4life(m): 6:02pm On Sep 25, 2016
hungryboy:
I dey fear those SARS people sha,
Dem no dey waste time to kill pesin,
Na so dem torture me last year sotey I almost agree say na me be the Imam Shekau were Government dey find

Lol
Re: Amnesty International: Victims Of SARS Torture/murder Confesses by tetengi4life(m): 6:06pm On Sep 25, 2016
derolemode:
Just like every other thing in Nigeria when its first launched, serves its purpose but abuse becomes the order of the day.
I remember how rough Port Harcourt was before the advent of SARS, they did their best in curbing cultism as cultism was a must for every youth then because otherwise seemed worse because you will be molested by the so-called cultists. But here came SARS to the rescue of those whose elasticity limit were yet exhausted. Fast-forward to today, SARS is now a cult on its own now know for extursion, kidnapping and stealing.
I had a personal experience with them where i excorted a friend of mine to a police station to report a robbery case, on getting there we were told that the area of the incident is not within their juristiction we should go to the other one which they directed us to, so we boarded a taxi heading to the station we were directed, that friend of mine spotted a team of SARS men in their usual unmarked vehicle so we both turned to verify if they were truly them, when we realised it was them we told the driver to clear and stop, we came down and flagged them down, they stopped and came down in fom of commandos pointing their rifles at us and I laughed in my mind not because of the way they came down from the vehicle but because my friend who by the way is a civilian had already started raising his hands to high heavens when they wanted to search us.
At this point I wasn't with any ID on me so I brought out my Camouflage handkerchief to wipe my face, one of them walked up to and wanted to feel my pocket which I declined telling him that I'll bring out the contents myself he then started threatening to 'fire me' if I dont co-operate with him but I refused, I was wandering if he never noticed the camoflage in my hand, having being fed up I then spoke in millitary lingua it was then he said "you for don tell me since nah" and they zoomed off.

Lol. Sorry bro

(1) (Reply)

18+ VIDEOS: See How These Pretty Black Ladies Fought N3de In Public / Another Cult Member Killed Last Night At Ekiti State University - Picture / Thief Caught In Ibeshe Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.