Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,575 members, 7,840,372 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West (15104 Views)

Olayinka Omigbodun, Victor Banjo’s Daughter: Ojukwu Betrayed My Dad, Killed Him / Victor Banjo's Children Speak 50 Years After His Demise / "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by SaffronSpice: 8:56pm On Oct 06, 2016
Igboid:

1. There is no guarantee that the rotation of power between the West and Feudal North would have been easy, judging by the antecedent of the North.
2. Yes, but your resistance will be met with brute force of the law, like Awo met under Balewa and there won't be shortage of Yoruba Muslims to sell you lots out to the North.
3. Yes. But antecedents speak for themselves. In the face of military actions, SW won't stand a chance against the North.
4. No such terminology in the Eastern region. The Niger Delta, the colonial one included parts of the Midwest too. Niger Delta was not a term we used in Eastern region.
5. There was enough momentum within the minorities rank in the Midwest to successfully carryout a plebiscite, there was a consensus of purpose.
This wasn't same in the East. There were many high ranked minorities that were henchmen in the NCNC government in the the East. The Mbus, Akpabios, Imokes, Opigos, etc. Those men were pro unity of Eastern region, making it impossible for the COR movement to provide a United front.
A plebiscite couldn't hold because there was no consensus of opinion.
Awo and Yorubas were against the Midwest minorities movement for secession, their hands were forced, because there was consensus of purpose amongst the minorities. Only few minorities like Enahoro favoured unity of the region, the Oba of Bini having been relegated to second fiddle by Yoruba kings, was leading the Midwest separation front. No such thing happened in the East.
6.Don't also forget that it was the lack of unity in the West, as represented by the greed of Awo and Akintola that opened the widow of opportunity for the minorities there, in the East, no such disunity, Okpara was easily allowed to run his things without interference by Zik.
For 1,2&,3:These are your opinions.The way some of you predict what the status of the West will be in Nigeria if the East secedes surprises me.Anything could happen.Secession by the North or West,a travesty of government with Britain as the mediator etc.But I woun't shy away from admitting that the North and West are hardly best of friends.
4.I was refering to the colonial Niger Delta and not what it was called in the East back then.
5.If the other ethnic groups(don't want to continue using the word "minorities" which is a bit condescending to me)were satisfied with staying in the East like you stated,Gowon woun't have been able to weaken the support for Ojukwu by creating South Eastern and Rivers state.
You know the result of that move.
6.The fracas between Awo and Akintola had nothing to do with greed for power.It was caused by the difference in their political ideologies.
Azikiwe had no confrontation with Okpara because his ally (the North)were not infiltrating his region through him like they did through Akintola.
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by SaffronSpice: 9:00pm On Oct 06, 2016
Marcelini:

1. Ademoyega acted on his own, likewise Nzeogwu and co. But if Nzeogwu actions be made to represent those of Ndiigbo. Ademoyega's own must represent those of Yorubas, using the same line of thought.
Mention where Nzeogwu and co said they were acting on behalf of Ndiigbo, since we are now joking.
2. What led to the the first coup was the crisis in Yorubaland. I could care less about the political parties involved.
3.No, you mentioned Boro as a diversionary strategy, as Boro isn't Yoruba and the main issue if our discussion centers around Yoruba neutrality and not the Ijaws.
4.Ojukwu first duty is to protect the lives of civilian Easterners Ironsi never threatened the life of Easterners, the counter coup plotters did. As the massacres showed no signs of abating. He acted as circumstances dictated.
After the progrom, he realized there was nolonger basis for Nigerian unity, if the FG couldn't protect the lives of Easterners.
5.No, not all Eastern minorities wanted Biafra, but at the start of it all, majority of them wanted Biafra.
Sure enough, most of them would have preferred their own independent nation. Nigeria was the last option any of them wanted.
1.You're right.Nzeogwu and the others acted on their own.But the way Zik,Okpara,and Ironsi were spared is suspect.
Can you explain their providential-escape stories?
I didn't post anything about Nzeogwu claming to represent Igbos.
2.Operation Wetie started in the year 1962.Why wasn't there a coup that year since you claim the coup was caused by Op. Wetie?
Why did the coupists strike a year after the 1964-1965 electoral violence?
Don't fence with this question;give me a clear answer.
3.How does a comparison of 2 people with similar aims and what motivated them be a "diversionary strategy"?
Why should the ethnicity of one of them be of any importance?
Are you sure you read that part of my post?
Go over it again.
4.What you posted here does not relate to the questions I asked.
5.Not all of them wanted to be in Biafra at the begining.After the states creation by Gowon,some of them saw no need to identify with Biafra.
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Igboid: 10:34pm On Oct 06, 2016
Deliberate poisoning of food supplies was suspected first in 1967 when several deaths were thought to be caused by toxic foods. Of 1487 samples of salt--the principal item being smuggled in--which were tested by Biafrans during the last part of 1968, 20 samples contained toxic quantities of arsenic and 50 contained cyanide.

Mayer said that several samples collected by the Mission which could not have been "fixed" by the Biafrans were submitted to the Food and Drug Administration upon the group's return. "The samples contained arsenic, the Administration confirmed the Biafran reports." Mayer said.

The foods were deliberately poisoned by Nigerians. To ensure their food blockade stands.
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Igboid: 10:43pm On Oct 06, 2016
SaffronSpice:

1.Your attempt to use the case of a consignment of smuggled food to substantiate your food poisoning allegation against the Nigerian Gov. would not pass muster since the fodstuff wasn't delivered through the right channel.

2. Being at war,arms would have been imported more than food.
The class of people who kept the the country alive(soldiers & elite) will have the lion share while the masses rely on humanitarian agencies to supplement whatever they get.It's a matter of priority.
Also,Ojukwu should have tested the supply from Nigeria instead of rejecting them;he wasn't starving like the people were.

1 .Food was deliberately poisoned by Nigerians. There is no escaping this. Meyer noted that that food wasn't poisoned by Biafrans.
What right channel do you speak of, when Adekunle already boasted that no relief materials will be allowed entry into Biafran, not even red cross. He would shoot at anything that moves and doesn't move.

2. Not sure the point you are trying to drive home with this part of your post. Meyer recommended an internationally monitored sea corridor for food and relief materials. Nigerians insisted that the food to pass through must be monitored by them, what's exactly was their aim if not to poison the food more?
They were already bombing the centres for distribution of food in Biafra, scaring people away from presenting at such centres, there was no knowing the level of depravity they could go to achieve their demonic goals.

They bombed market places in Biafra to stone age, killed Biafran market women and their children, as well as destroying the precious food products at those markets. What was their aim, if not to ensure their starvation policy stood.
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Marcelini(m): 11:18pm On Oct 06, 2016
SaffronSpice:

1.You're right.Nzeogwu and the others acted on their own.But the way Zik,Okpara,and Ironsi were spared is suspect.
Can you explain their providential-escape stories?
I didn't post anything about Nzeogwu claming to represent Igbos.
2.Operation Wetie started in the year 1962.Why wasn't there a coup that year since you claim the coup was caused by Op. Wetie?
Why did the coupists strike a year after the 1964-1965 electoral violence?
Don't fence with this question;give me a clear answer.
3.How does a comparison of 2 people with similar aims and what motivated them be a "diversionary strategy"?
Why should the ethnicity of one of them be of any importance?
Are you sure you read that part of my post?
Go over it again.
4.What you posted here does not relate to the questions I asked.
5.Not all of them wanted to be in Biafra at the begining.After the states creation by Gowon,some of them saw no need to identify with Biafra.

1. Well, I can also say that the way the coup ended up eliminating Awo's two major enemies in Balewa and Akintola in one swoop is suspicious.
Could it be that Awolowo was the masterminder of the coup, considering that the coup plotters claimed the aim of the coup was to install him?
You see, two can play this game of extrapolation and projection.

2. Opetation wetie, electoral violence in the Western region Post Akintola victory were Are occurrences in Yorubaland and can be the remote and immediate cause of the coup.

3. I read your post well. I'm still struggling to see where Boro or Ijaws fit into our discussion considering the scope of our discussion.

4. When you asked an irrelevant question, of course you will get an irrelevant answer. It takes two to tangle.

5. The offer for referendum was offered by Ojukwu to Gowon in 1968, a year plus after the creation of the states. Yet a British intelligent report advised Gowon against accepting the offer, as it predicted that only 1/3 of the minorities would vote to stay with Nigeria.
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Igboid: 11:22pm On Oct 06, 2016
1968 - Adekunle "The Black Scorpion" during Operation OAU

"I want to see no Red Cross, no Caritas, no World Council of Churches, no Pope, no missionary and no UN delegation. I want to prevent even one Ibo from having even one piece to eat before their capitulation. We shoot at everything that moves and when our troops march into the centre of Ibo territory, we shoot at everything even at things that do not move".
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Igboid: 11:23pm On Oct 06, 2016
Chief Anthony Enahoro said during an interview in July 1968 in New York : "...it (mass starvation) is a legitimate aspect of war..."

Alison Ayida said in July 1968 in Niamey Peace Talks:
"Starvation is a legitimate weapon of war, and we have every intention of using it against the rebels..."

http://scannewsnigeria.com/opinion/chinua-achebes-book-quotations-on-biafrannigerian-war-facts-for-interpretation/
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Igboid: 11:29pm On Oct 06, 2016
"The Mission's members reports that, they never saw one child in satisfactory nutritional condition in any of the camps they visited. Mass feedings must be made under the most difficult of situations: distribution centers and refugee camps are bombed and strafed if any large numbers of people are visible in the daylight. Red Cross insignias are singled out for special attention by Nigerian bombers. Mayer saw one European engaged in working on the Biafran side of the war front carry 117 dying children in his truck to a hospital in a single night".

Because of the way Nigerians were bombing these red cross, and feeding center/ food distribution centres. My grandfather strictly warned my mother and her sisters to stay away from such centres.
This way, the few food that got into Biafra couldn't reach the targeted children as Nigerian air raids made sure people were scared away from such centres, and some of the food were even destroyed during air raids
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Igboid: 11:41pm On Oct 06, 2016
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by SaffronSpice: 7:26pm On Oct 07, 2016
Igboid:

1 .Food was deliberately poisoned by Nigerians. There is no escaping this. Meyer noted that that food wasn't poisoned by Biafrans.
What right channel do you speak of, when Adekunle already boasted that no relief materials will be allowed entry into Biafran, not even red cross. He would shoot at anything that moves and doesn't move.
2. Not sure the point you are trying to drive home with this part of your post. Meyer recommended an internationally monitored sea corridor for food and relief materials. Nigerians insisted that the food to pass through must be monitored by them, what's exactly was their aim if not to poison the food more?
They were already bombing the centres for distribution of food in Biafra, scaring people away from presenting at such centres, there was no knowing the level of depravity they could go to achieve their demonic goals.
They bombed market places in Biafra to stone age, killed Biafran market women and their children, as well as destroying the precious food products at those markets. What was their aim, if not to ensure their starvation policy stood.
1.You may be right that the Nigerian Gov. delibrately poisoned the food,but it was smuggled into Biafra and not gotten directly from Nigeria as an aid.
This detracts from your allegation since it was contraband.
2.Was trying to say Biafra would have imported more arms than food in the absence of a blockade.
Gowon agreed to a land corridor and the presence of neutral observers to allay the Biafrans fear of food poisoning,but Ojukwu rejected it.
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by SaffronSpice: 7:29pm On Oct 07, 2016
Marcelini:

1. Well, I can also say that the way the coup ended up eliminating Awo's two major enemies in Balewa and Akintola in one swoop is suspicious.
Could it be that Awolowo was the masterminder of the coup, considering that the coup plotters claimed the aim of the coup was to install him?
You see, two can play this game of extrapolation and projection.
2. Opetation wetie, electoral violence in the Western region Post Akintola victory were Are occurrences in Yorubaland and can be the remote and immediate cause of the coup.
3. I read your post well. I'm still struggling to see where Boro or Ijaws fit into our discussion considering the scope of our discussion.
4. When you asked an irrelevant question, of course you will get an irrelevant answer. It takes two to tangle.
5. The offer for referendum was offered by Ojukwu to Gowon in 1968, a year plus after the creation of the states. Yet a British intelligent report advised Gowon against accepting the offer, as it predicted that only 1/3 of the minorities would vote to stay with Nigeria.
1.You evaded my question,but I'll answer yours.
Awo was the leader of the oppositon then.Therefore,Zik was one of his "major enemies".
If Awo had masterminded the coup,Zik woun't have survived.To "install" Awo,the President need to be taken out of the way -- but Zik was spared.
After a coup,the highest-ranking officer takes over.If Awo was the brain behind the coup,Ironsi,the highest-ranking officer should have been murdered for Ogundipe(a Yoruba like Awo) to take over -- but he was spared.
If Awo was responsible for the coup,he'll need to escape from Calabar Prison where he was detained after its success.For this to happen,Okpara need to be eliminated since he was the Premier of the East where the prison was located -- but he was spared.
There you have it.Your accusation doesn't add up.
2.Op.Wetie and the electoral crises of 1964-1965 took place in the west,but only Op. Wetie was instigated by Yoruba.It didn't lead to a coup the year it started or even after Awo was arrested on a trumped-up charge and imprisoned.
The electoral crises were not caused by Yoruba.They were proxy battles between the NPC and NCNC(forget those smaller parties) fought through Akintola & Adegbenro.
What led to the coup are what should be examined and not the region were they occurred.
3.He fits in snugly into the discussion as a sharp contrast to Ojukwu when I tried to show why Ojukwu's decision to secede at the eleventh hour is questionable.
If you can't get such a simple comparison,then I'll only shrug. 4.My question was: why did Ojukwu wait for the pogrom to start before he tried to secede.
It's germane.
5.There was nothing like that.Where's your proof?
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by SaffronSpice: 7:45pm On Oct 07, 2016
Igboid:
"The Mission's members reports that, they never saw one child in satisfactory nutritional condition in any of the camps they visited. Mass feedings must be made under the most difficult of situations: distribution centers and refugee camps are bombed and strafed if any large numbers of people are visible in the daylight. Red Cross insignias are singled out for special attention by Nigerian bombers. Mayer saw one European engaged in working on the Biafran side of the war front carry 117 dying children in his truck to a hospital in a single night".
Because of the way Nigerians were bombing these red cross, and feeding center/ food distribution centres. My grandfather strictly warned my mother and her sisters to stay away from such centres.
This way, the few food that got into Biafra couldn't reach the targeted children as Nigerian air raids made sure people were scared away from such centres, and some of the food were even destroyed during air raids
Are you relating a priv. account here?

Those quotes you posted,errm I don't know what to say.
Denouncing them will seem pretentious,but I don't think am crazy enough to support what they said.
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Jackonory: 12:35pm On Apr 11, 2021
WHEN YOU OKOROS ARE READY TO STOP LYING TO YOURSELVES, YOU WILL BE FREE.

AWOLOWO AND THE FORGOTTEN DOCUMENTS OF THE NIGERIAN CIVIL WAR.

http://ojs.mona.uwi.edu/index.php/cjp/article/viewFile/4611/3373

https://www.amazingstoriesaroundtheworld.com/2018/06/historical-perspective-of-hatred.html
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Jackonory: 12:40pm On Apr 11, 2021
https://encompass.eku.edu/jora/vol1/iss1/2/

https://cupdf.com/document/the-biafran-crisis-and-the-midwest-by-se-orobator.html

Igboid:
1968 - Adekunle "The Black Scorpion" during Operation OAU

"I want to see no Red Cross, no Caritas, no World Council of Churches, no Pope, no missionary and no UN delegation. I want to prevent even one Ibo from having even one piece to eat before their capitulation. We shoot at everything that moves and when our troops march into the centre of Ibo territory, we shoot at everything even at things that do not move".
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Uchek(m): 7:28am On Apr 12, 2021
So after reading this epochal letter, all your intelligence and so-called sophistication could decidieron is that Ojukwu had dominatiom and expansiones cravings. No wonder the average Yoruba, politically speaking, is a SOPHISTICATED slowpoke.

solok:
E DON TEY!!!!
Domination and expansionist cravings!
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West by Uchek(m): 7:32am On Apr 12, 2021
Yoruba is incorregible. You are already under the control of foreign troops from Northern Nigeria who refused to return to their region as agreed by the Gowon and the regional governors. Yet you were blind to it.

dionma:
No sensible leader will allow foreign troops on his lands hence the liberators become the oppressor. If you want to help send arms and ammunitions. I know that Ojukwu will never allow the west army on the south east especially in uncertain times when there is war or the threat of war. My take is that the suggestion by Ojukwu will nevervhave workef.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Obiano’s Overrated Fly-over Bridges Already Collapsing, Be Careful While Using. / Wike Sacks Mds Of TV, Radio Stations In Rivers / Yakubu Dogara's 50th Birthday Thanksgiving Service In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.