Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,477 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? (43475 Views)

Nigerian Man Drops Bundles Of 100 Dollar Bills For His Child To Play With.Photos / Man Refuses To Take Child To Hospital After Blood Flowed To Her Head.See Why.PIC / 11-Year-Old Boy Maltreated By Stepmum: See The Highest Order Of Child Abuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Dantee005(m): 1:49pm On Oct 04, 2016
Lol..i think we can all guess d tribe dat does dis....Hehehe.. grin grin grin grin
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by brandonobi(m): 2:04pm On Oct 04, 2016
while u r crying, the akamu is entering ur mouth, if u close ur mouth one small pinch on ur behind.
bless them mamas
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by egbesunday: 2:09pm On Oct 04, 2016
It's not bad at all, just that the child is positioned wrongly.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by dvalllis: 2:30pm On Oct 04, 2016
IamNawty:
bestie this is too much, the child can choke omg

This is how we were fed while we were still children and cases of children choking to death as a result of such type of feeding were very rare.
It is not child abuse, only that the one in the picture is not being properly done.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by zudozz: 2:31pm On Oct 04, 2016
Yoruba People!
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by GeneralEmenogu: 2:33pm On Oct 04, 2016
na yoruba style b dis.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 04, 2016
I wouldn't know, it's a Yoruba way of life. They can explain better why they do that and if it's an abuse of the child or not.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by abike12(f): 2:59pm On Oct 04, 2016
It's not child abuse.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Deyrinsolar(f): 3:00pm On Oct 04, 2016
Very funny cos i ave a brother wu would not eat unless he is fed dat way, nw d funny part is dat he actually enjoys it, he doesnt cry or struggle
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Deilluminator(m): 3:03pm On Oct 04, 2016
bbmpin:
Do you even know what "child abuse" means? undecided

You cant even classify "pacification" to a certain extent as child abuse

All that "matters" is the intention of the parent, if the Goal of "an action" is "BENEFICIAL" to the child

Such acts irrespective of how extreme they may seem are justified! #To ask is to make obvious ur ignorance
You are right in your own ways but medical practitioners will never encourage you to subject the innocent child to this abnormality.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Barigaboy(m): 3:42pm On Oct 04, 2016
Wow, when I dey small I like dis method. He dey make pikin belle food Lol. Manual feeding
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by blank(f): 3:58pm On Oct 04, 2016
blackteddy:
how many children have u seen that died from force feeding. just asking

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-15689864

http://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2015/05/how-school-in-ajah-killed-my-son.html

That it hasn't happened to someone you know doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It could even cause debilitating conditions for the child. A child will not starve themselves to death. They will eventually eat. Why not look for alternatives like Bcomplex supplements and making food that the child will actually like to eat.

1 Like

Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by beautiful232(f): 4:00pm On Oct 04, 2016
I hate this so much
but this can only be done by a Yoruba mother
smh
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by raumdeuter: 4:44pm On Oct 04, 2016
If a child is sick doesnt want medication and you force him is that child abuse?
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 04, 2016
Making frontpage for the millionth time.

Since all my years growing I've come across this scene plenty of times. No time have I seen a child die from the act, know why? The person always performing it is the child's mother or close relative. I know no close relative or mother who wishes death to their child and would always stay extra careful when performing such action.
Thus this thread complains of a non-issue and shouldn't exist. It's a medieval-looking method which achieves its desired result.

With this answered I hope this is the last time this picture makes frontpage. I've seen it make this forum's hot topic quarterly since the year 2009.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by freecocoa(f): 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2016
ziga:

So, can you tell me why it is discouraged

Sometimes, people have good intentions but are misinformed about the consequences.

How is this different from rubbing cow feces on a wound in order to heal it.

That is why "educated" people should be at the forefront of discouraging these harmful practices and not defending it.

Sometimes, we cause harm to people we love by the things we do to them.
it's discouraged because the food can go into the wrong track, the child can choke.

We seem to have a different understanding of what it means to defend something.

1 Like

Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by darealez(m): 6:09pm On Oct 04, 2016
It is and should be punishable by the law. There are innumerable ways of making a child eat mehn!

2 Likes

Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Saint83(m): 6:17pm On Oct 04, 2016
Please,how much is the price of rice in Abuja now sef
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Mikylopez(f): 6:19pm On Oct 04, 2016
Laveda:

But that was uncalled for. sad
buh it's the truth¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Eeser: 6:58pm On Oct 04, 2016
Is not abuse, It's just dangerous. OP, do you call a nurse giving a child injection child abuse?

1 Like

Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by akigbemaru: 8:23pm On Oct 04, 2016
Baby feeding
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by pocohantas(f): 11:06pm On Oct 04, 2016
This thing stems from impatience, with kids you have to keep trying. Don't just force tasteless pap on them.
I remember my aunt's baby, we tried SMA, Frisocrem, Cerelac, Nutrend, golden morn...none worked.
Finally, he preferred okro soup, titus fish..., moimoi grin.

These trials required patience and FINANCE which isn't always readily available.

3 Likes

Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by lepasharon(f): 1:00am On Oct 05, 2016
charix:
Making frontpage for the millionth time.

Since all my years growing I've come across this scene plenty of times. No time have I seen a child die from the act, know why? The person always performing it is the child's mother or close relative. I know no close relative or mother who wishes death to their child and would always stay extra careful when performing such action.
Thus this thread complains of a non-issue and shouldn't exist. It's a medieval-looking method which achieves its desired result.

With this answered I hope this is the last time this picture makes frontpage. I've seen it make this forum's hot topic quarterly since the year 2009.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060305/Nurse-Gloria-Dwomoh-force-fed-baby-death-jailed.html
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by lepasharon(f): 1:04am On Oct 05, 2016
freecocoa:
If you don't know that force feeding a child, is for the sole purpose of getting the child to eat, then you shouldn't be on this thread or even on NL.

Abeg while trying to sound sophisticated or whatever, let's try to use common sense, insulting a mother who only wants her child to eat, is just really shallow.

Btw, so far as we know, no child has died from getting fed like that, turn on your brain before commenting next time, you talk crap a lot and I say that with no intent to disrespect you.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060305/Nurse-Gloria-Dwomoh-force-fed-baby-death-jailed.html
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Nobody: 1:09am On Oct 05, 2016
lepasharon:

RIP to the deceased. Life goes on. Fatalities can occur no matter how widespread a practice is.
One can not use a single case to paint a picture concerning practices especially when time without number it has shown beneficial than otherwise.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by lepasharon(f): 1:13am On Oct 05, 2016
charix:

RIP to the deceased. Life goes on. Fatalities can occur no matter how widespread a practice is.
One can not use a single case to paint a picture concerning practices especially when time without number it has shown beneficial than otherwise.

undecided undecided Time without number where? Why forcefeed a child when there are let's primitive approaches

1 Like

Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Nobody: 1:21am On Oct 05, 2016
lepasharon:

undecided undecided Time without number where?
Majority of us debating on the issue were fed using the method once in a while or majority of the time as toddlers.

Why forcefeed a child when there are let's primitive approaches
It's not really force feeding per se, it's more a matter of allocating time to a certain task. Don't forget the market women we mostly come across doing this have busy schedules the children delay by not eating on time.
One cannot expect a woman knee deep in attending to a customer to stop in her tracks because a child who refused to eat an hour ago suddenly decides the best time is when the mother is competing against store rivals for a customer's attention. She 'force feeds' the child so she can carry on with her day. Try convincing her the best course of action is waiting till the child wants the meal, she'd only laugh in your face.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Nobody: 1:22am On Oct 05, 2016
lepasharon:

undecided undecided Time without number where? Why forcefeed a child when there are let's primitive approaches
Don't forget prisons in developed nations use a similar approach in combating inmate hunger strikes. You can google it for more information.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Hamature(m): 6:54am On Oct 05, 2016
Seen a child die from this kinda stuff in Akure.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 05, 2016
luminouz:

Unlearned people? Lol....my mum has a PHD! So WTF ur saying again?
hey! smiley dont get me wrong sir. maybe I shdnt have used the word 'unlearned'. but called them traditional. your mum has a PH.D but im sure she must advanced in age.sort of. My dad has travelled round, got to a pinnacle in his career but still do stuffs I consider old skool. how many of us today even grew up in the village like our parents did? its based on generational beliefs. so Not even a PH.d can change that.
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by luminouz(m): 8:50am On Oct 05, 2016
WindUpMerchant:
hey! smiley dont get me wrong sir. maybe I shdnt have used the word 'unlearned'. but called them traditional. your mum has a PH.D but im sure she must advanced in age.sort of. My dad has travelled round, got to a pinnacle in his career but still do stuffs I consider old skool. how many of us today even grew up in the village like our parents did? its based on generational beliefs. so Not even a PH.d can change that.
My point is..... DAT its a generational belief doesn't make it old SKUL or wrong....because it works! Nothing can change DAT!
Re: Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? by luminouz(m): 8:55am On Oct 05, 2016
WindUpMerchant:
My point is..... DAT its a generational belief doesn't make it old SKUL or wrong....because it works! Nothing can change DAT!.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Father Sleeping With Daughter / List Of Things Required For Marriage In Ubima, Amaechi's Town / Help Me My Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.