Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,205 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. (40759 Views)

Nigerian Mother In U.S Navy And Her Son Reunite After 7 Months In Sea (Photos) / Wedding Of 42-Year-Old Folasade Dairo, A Nigerian Mother Of 4 In USA / Interesting Ways To Please A Nigerian Mother In Law. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 06, 2016
NovusHomo:

MOTHERS-in-law.
DAUGHTERS-in-law.
Thanks for the correction.
Thread has already been locked, can't modify.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 06, 2016
HomeOfMe:
Yes mothers are very protective of their sons;just like mother hen. But I'm lucky to have a very good and understanding mother-in-law. When I had a delay getting pregnant,five years after I had a set of twin boys,she was even more supportive than my own mother despite that I'm not even a yoruba by origin. It got to a point my husband became jealous of my closeness with his mom. I'm one of the few lucky ones I guess.
Wow!. She has a good heart.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Barigaboy(m): 4:26pm On Oct 06, 2016
Benita27:
Very insightful. grin
Thanks Pretty Benita

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 06, 2016
NevetsIbot:
nah.. Can't tell ya... It isn't wise.. I feel my wife is on this forum.. She could be watching
Lol.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 06, 2016
fabulousdora:
Not all my ex's mother is an awesome woman
You mean you met all your boyfriends mothers?.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 06, 2016
veave:
We just got a wife recently and i must confess, some ladies do not know how to behave. I actually learnt alot. And I'll try not to make same mistakes she made. Thank God mumcy is a proper child. of God, else. Hmmmmm.
Are all of you marring the woman?, and base on what you said is like you all are in a family house.
Hmm!.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 06, 2016
iamloyalty:
Forget all this motherinlaw showing themselves if them see real kasala dem go hide. Any wife way dull himself na sabi.
You don't mean that.
Who wants to be caught up in the battles?.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by fabulousdora(f): 10:23am On Oct 07, 2016
Benita27:
You mean you met all your boyfriends mothers?.
can't remember saying mothers I said mother

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Menzy86(m): 4:20pm On Oct 07, 2016
pocohantas:

Think well, you don't know any of your uncle's wife that doesn't know how to cook?
This issue is way past being modern or not knowing how to cook.
I said THINK IT IS ACCEPTABLE, didnt say there aren't women dat dont knw hw to cook in previous generations. D problem is those ones these days dat say it like it shouldn't mean much.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by veave(f): 7:01pm On Oct 07, 2016
Benita27:
Are all of you marring the woman?, and base on what you said is like you all are in a family house.
Hmm!.

the person that married her is my immediate elder brother
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Pidggin(f): 8:10pm On Oct 07, 2016
veave:

the person that married her is my immediate elder brother

So this makes her your wife? cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 07, 2016
I rather get caught up and save ny home than for it to be torn by so called mother in-law. Abi i nor get mama too wey born boys.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by veave(f): 10:51pm On Oct 07, 2016
Pidggin:

So this makes her your wife? cheesy

Yes my love. I promise to treat her right just as i would want to be treated too
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Pidggin(f): 1:54am On Oct 08, 2016
veave:

Yes my love. I promise to treat her right just as i would want to be treated too

Sorry dear, she is not your wife. She is married to your brother not you. You are her sis-in-law not her husband

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by veave(f): 7:38am On Oct 08, 2016
Pidggin:

Sorry dear, she is not your wife. She is married to your brother not you. You are her sis-in-law not her husband

you wrong baby. she's my wife... its my responsibility to take care of her if my brother is not around
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Pidggin(f): 7:50am On Oct 08, 2016
veave:

she's my wife... its my responsibility to take care of her if my brother if my brother is not around

Is this a joke? She is not married to you, it's not your responsibility to take care of her, don't interfere in their marriage except you are invited to

You need to find yourself a husband and kids also get a job dear all these things will occupy your time. Leave your brother and his wife to live their lives, make their mistakes, learn from them and grow. I hope your sister-in-law knows the type of family she got married into sometimes people need to consider things like these abnormalities before thinking of love, smh

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by veave(f): 8:50am On Oct 08, 2016
Pidggin:

Is this a joke? She is not married to you, it's not your responsibility to take care of her, don't interfere in their marriage except you are invited to

You need to find yourself a husband and kids also get a job dear all these things will occupy your time. Leave your brother and his wife to live their lives, make their mistakes, learn from them and grow. I hope your sister-in-law knows the type of family she got married into sometimes people need to consider things like this abnormalities before thinking of love, smh

madam... calm down... no body is interfering with anything... SHE IS MY WIFE!!!! i do not know why it is making you worked up... and why for heaven's sake are you trying to add hand and leg to what we are talking about? on the bolded... she didn't know when she was coming in, so she came with fight... and when she realized no one had horns she decided to adjust... on her own. i see you already have a paranoid mindset about every grooms family... please change it... and like i said earlier.... i would treat her right... same way i would want to be treated when i get married...
i have a job sweetheart... @husband and kids.... errrmmmmm.... when i'm ready grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 08, 2016
Pidggin:

You need to find yourself a husband and kids also get a job dear all these things will occupy your time. Leave your brother and his wife to live their lives, make their mistakes, learn from them and grow. I hope your sister-in-law knows the type of family she got married into sometimes people need to consider things like this abnormalities before thinking of love, smh
Seconded!.
I don't know how my brother's wife will be my wife...some people don't know that there are boundaries.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by spencekat(m): 1:13pm On Oct 08, 2016
The interesting aspect of it is that a daughter in law will one day become a mother in law.However,some daughters in law are not cool headed.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by bukiboy(m): 4:02am On Dec 09, 2016
those mother in-laws also complained when they were daugher in-laws

Benita27:
I noticed 80% of our Nigerian mother in-laws threat their daughter in-laws badly unlike their foreign counterparts, and this trend is so common,once a man says he wants to take you to see his parents instead of excitement a certain fear creeps in.
personally i'm not scared of meeting the man's father because i assume father's trust their sons to have made the right choices, but for the mothers is not usually the same, was able to ask someone if she felt same and she confessed feeling worse. grin
Why are our Nigerian mother in-laws so mean?.
Need your contributions, and Ladies how do you feel when getting to meet them?.

Cc: Aderola15.
Talk2Bella.
IamNawty.
Laveda.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 09, 2016
That's because females are usually wired to see each other as enemies. What do you think would happen when two women want total control of the man's life. Ever seen father in laws having issues with the husband at all. Because we stay our lane.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:38am On Dec 09, 2016
Not all mother-in-laws though smiley tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:40am On Dec 09, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Not all mother-in-laws though smiley tongue
37SCMP3
I beg reforcast the games.
Good.morning.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 09, 2016
Good morning 37SFSDJ smiley
IamJix:

37SCMP3
I beg reforcast the games.
Good.morning.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by davidif: 5:53pm On Jan 04, 2017
raumdeuter:

I have a friend whose mother didnt attend his wedding because she did not approve of the girl he is getting married to

Among these people they have segregation based on religious beliefs, your family's financial background, social beliefs, what part of the country you are from, what level of education.

Are they from Asia?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by raumdeuter: 6:13pm On Jan 04, 2017
davidif:

Are they from Asia?

They are white American.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by bukiboy(m): 7:53pm On Jan 09, 2017
Benita27:
I noticed 80% of our Nigerian mother in-laws threat their daughter in-laws badly unlike their foreign counterparts, and this trend is so common,once a man says he wants to take you to see his parents instead of excitement a certain fear creeps in.
personally i'm not scared of meeting the man's father because i assume father's trust their sons to have made the right choices, but for the mothers is not usually the same, was able to ask someone if she felt same and she confessed feeling worse. grin
Why are our Nigerian mother in-laws so mean?.
Need your contributions, and Ladies how do you feel when getting to meet them?.

the problem sometimes is always from the Son/Husband who is a mummy's boy. i don't what will ever cause fight between mother in-law and daughter in-law. if the man is a real man not the one that was characterized as a man becos he wear trouser or posses male genital organs, nothing go cause fight between his mum and his wife.

some women just have issues with each others maybe because of low self esteem or mindset or jealous, some of this daughter in-laws that complain about their mother in-law will do worst than their mother in-laws when they become mother in-laws too.

keyword: RESPECT & DO UNTO OTHERS WHAT YOU WANT OTHERS DO UNTO YOU
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by frrank(m): 8:35pm On Jul 16, 2017
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by frrank(m): 8:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
5minsmadness:

2 examples,
My cousin and my friend.

My cousin: Nice family, generous family, it was only when the boy declared his love for her we found out his mom was a fierce racist! They could be boyfriend and girlfriend as long as he didnt bring the black girl home to the family. I guess in a way it doesnt count cos the y finally didnt get married cos of her. Later heard the boy brought home and irish chic and the mom brought the house down in a rage. The guy is still single.

My friend. Married the boy. Caucasian mother in law moved in for two weeks. She saw hell. The woman was unbearable and unappeasable, kept on making condescendin remarks about how no girl was good enough for her Ronald... Only ate when thr guy was around... Made a statement once that suggested she was trying to poison her by putting something in her coffee...complained about the kitchen, complained about everything... Then asked to stay another two weeks to take good care of her son. My friend was a nervous wreck before the woman left. And this was in the UK o, not naija.

This comment got my attention, most especially the second example.

Anywhere I'm in this mess. After fighting this battle since February this year, I decided to give up yesterday. I feel so bad right now.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by frrank(m): 10:39pm On Jul 16, 2017
veave:

madam... calm down... no body is interfering with anything... SHE IS MY WIFE!!!! i do not know why it is making you worked up... and why for heaven's sake are you trying to add hand and leg to what we are talking about? on the bolded... she didn't know when she was coming in, so she came with fight... and when she realized no one had horns she decided to adjust... on her own. i see you already have a paranoid mindset about every grooms family... please change it... and like i said earlier.... i would treat her right... same way i would want to be treated when i get married...
i have a job sweetheart... @husband and kids.... errrmmmmm.... when i'm ready grin grin grin

Hahahaha... This your comment ehen. I agree with you. Take care of your wife. Hope you transfer the care to your husband & children soon.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by veave(f): 7:20am On Jul 17, 2017
frrank:

Hahahaha... This your comment ehen. I agree with you. Take care of your wife. Hope you transfer the care to your husband & children soon.

Thanks honey... Are you looking for wife?

grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by veave(f): 7:31am On Jul 17, 2017
Benita27:
Hmm!.

I'm looking at this thread and laughing.. Hahaha. My dear, when I said she's my wife... You and that your friend up there just pounced... In our culture, she's our wife doesn't mean all the men in the family will be putting their kini in her own kini.... My wife gave birth some weeks ago. Guess who is doing 24/7nanny? Me and mummy. Why? She doesn't have anyone close by and she's not strong enough. Now imagine if everyone was fighting what would happen to her? She even had to beg her husband to come and drop her with us. The long and short is that, it is very very important to maintain a good relationship with your in-laws. While getting married, come in with a good mindset.
So are you going to tell me now that the baby is not my baby? grin

Ehen. And no, it is not a family house. We all live in same city.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Her Chest Has Comforted Me; Couple Mark 26th Wedding Anniversary. Photos / Woman Exposes Friend Who Sent Nude Photos To Her Husband / Man Marries Dead Woman With N2,000 Bride Price In Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.