Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. (23111 Views)

Fashola Tells Landlords To Collect Rents In Arrears / Lady Celebrates As She Rents A House For The 1st Time After 8yrs of Squating(pic / Giving back to Nairalanders-Get Your Free House Sketches Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 05, 2016
Ok...
Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by VocalWalls: 6:54am On Oct 05, 2016
The law only applies if you're evicting them.

If you aren't evicting them, and they probably need 3 months to come up with cash, that's understandable.

But if they want 3 months extra, and are looking to leave 'voluntarily', then you can lock them up since they're trying to be smart.

I don't pity people who try to be too smart.

13 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Youngzedd(m): 6:55am On Oct 05, 2016
luciouscookie:

You will be landlord one day ooo and your tenants go frustrate youyou grin

People like that hardly become one.

1 Like

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by bigerboy200: 6:55am On Oct 05, 2016
Are u sure ur broda is telling u d truth Ur tenants might be trying to outsmart u just like ur broda might also be trying to outsmart you.I don't trust pple dis days.. better u get a property lawyer so issues like dis can be sorted out easily now and in d future..

2 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Officialkenshin(m): 6:56am On Oct 05, 2016
gucciplay:

That means it's legal to live in somebody house for free for 3 months after the one year rent expire.

Take it easy man, u see d current economic crisis for d country, m not in support of then not paying but u shld go meet ur tenants talk to d man or woman and ask why he has refused to pay and why he should be given 3 months grace, if his reasons doesn't make sense u can do wat u want. Life shouldn't be abt money online. U can offer help as u don't know who can help u the very next minute okay, I'm not saying u shld let people oppress or trample on u because u are trying to help, u shld knw d difference of wen someone doesn't really have genuinely and when they are just trying to take advantage ok, take it easy,. #from experience.

My dad is a landlord by the way

He has 3 houses, I'm in charge of one which he gave me personally, so I have tenants.

2 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by vincent10(m): 6:56am On Oct 05, 2016
Do you have touts in your area? If yes, pay them 2k and give them instructions to pack the tenant properties to the next street.

Come and thank me later.

3 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by lonelydora: 6:56am On Oct 05, 2016
gucciplay:
Hi everyone i sold my 2 plots of lands last year to build a house . so the issue now is that my 4 tenants rent have expired since last month. my junior brother informed them there house rent have expired the told him that i will have to give them 3 free months. that is what Nigeria law said unless i should them Quit Notice .It's very sad that a house i build with my hard earn money somebody will be telling me that he will live in my house for free. I want to know which step i have to take

That is the law. But, there's a way out. Tell them you want to renovate the house and call in carpenter in 1 week time to start removing their roof. That's how we roll in Ikwerre land.

18 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 05, 2016
Reason my houses are monthly paid, stated in agreement. Na me go first carry you go court

2 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by LorDBolton(m): 6:58am On Oct 05, 2016
gucciplay:

Are you saying that if somebody paid for one year house rent. he will get 3 months for free because i don't give them Quit Notice. So if the house belong to you it will be fine by you.

Sir ur problem is naivety, rents are not renewed upon expiry of the agreed date!

What u should do next time is agree on a duration 1yr? 2yr? Then inside the agreement u state that 3/4months to the expiration of the agreed duration the tenant shall make known his INTENTION TO RENEW OR NOT,

Upon signal to renew the new rent shall be paid on/b4 1month after the expiration of the rent agreement failure to do so the landlord has the right to repossess his property.

That is why rents are expensive now sha cos landlords have started adding lawyers and agents to the mix.
I don't knw what u can do right now o, BUT i'm just telling u how to avoid a repeat...

Forget the law a solid rent agreement puts the landlord in control.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Youngzedd(m): 6:59am On Oct 05, 2016
gucciplay:

That's what i want to know since there's no such law. that means they are the ones looking for my trouble. No problem that means they are acting illegal i will also my act my own illegal way also

Sometimes law can be pathetic.

If not that, kick the irresponsible tenants out of the compound with Agboros.

Ontop my property someone will open his mouth and vomit rubbish, Chai! Na die be that.

1 Like

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Youngzedd(m): 7:00am On Oct 05, 2016
LorDBolton:

Sir ur problem is naivety, rents are not renewed upon expiry of the agreed date!

What u should do next time is agree on a duration 1yr? 2yr? Then inside the agreement u state that 3/4months to the expiration of the agreed duration the tenant shall make known his INTENTION TO RENEW OR NOT,

Upon signal to renew the new rent shall be paid on/b4 1month after the expiration of the rent agreement failure to do so the landlord has the right to repossess his property.

That is why rents are expensive now sha cos landlords have started adding lawyers and agents to the mix.
I don't knw what u can do right now o, BUT i'm just telling u how to avoid a repeat...

Forget the law a solid rent agreement puts the landlord in control.

Absolutely

2 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Nobody: 7:02am On Oct 05, 2016
gucciplay:
Hi everyone i sold my 2 plots of lands last year to build a house . so the issue now is that my 4 tenants rent have expired since last month. my junior brother informed them there house rent have expired the told him that i will have to give them 3 free months. that is what Nigeria law said unless i should them Quit Notice .It's very sad that a house i build with my hard earn money somebody will be telling me that he will live in my house for free. I want to know which step i have to take
.. oga them no they use trouble win world cup... please give them the three months but make sure there is a written agreement duly signed by all that they must vacate your house in three months time... if the three months expires and they are still there, you can vacate them with area boys or police... IF THEM LIKE,LET THEM TAKE YOU ANYWHERE,YOU WILL WIN THE CASE

2 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by naturalme16193: 7:03am On Oct 05, 2016
30% SLASH ON ALL MAKEUP/COSMETIC PRODUCTS!!

Why purchase an item for 1000, when you can purchase from us at 700.

Why purchase from the road side and risk buying fake?

Why pay for delivery, when our delivery is FREE.

Why worry on what shade to use, or what creme suits you, when we are professionals that give free recommendations?

NOT ONLY THAT;
~Free gift in every package.
~We teach you how personal makeup and tie gele when you purchase over 1000naira.
~We teach you professional makeup when you purchase over 30k.
~Delivery is free.

So many reasons why you should shop from Empowerment platform shopping ville.

For orders and enquiries please reach us on;
Call-08169803014
Whatsapp-08169803014.

~Remain beautiful

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Youngzedd(m): 7:03am On Oct 05, 2016
Officialkenshin:

Take it easy man, u see d current economic crisis for d country, m not in support of then not paying but u shld go meet ur tenants talk to d man or woman and ask why he has refused to pay and why he should be given 3 months grace, if his reasons doesn't make sense u can do wat u want. Life shouldn't be abt money online. U can offer help as u don't know who can help u the very next minute okay, I'm not saying u shld let people oppress or trample on u because u are trying to help, u shld knw d difference of wen someone doesn't really have genuinely and when they are just trying to take advantage ok, take it easy,. #from experience.

He has 3 houses, I'm in charge of one which he gave me personally, so I have tenants.

A responsible man or woman is to go meet with the landlord when rent is due but couldn't pay it and sort things out. But for someone to say free 3 months is just wickedness and act of irresponsibility.

I know I won't do so to people, but let people not do so to me because Agboros dey everywhere and I gotta pity no one.

3 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by ncoolsome(m): 7:04am On Oct 05, 2016
gucciplay:

is the 3 month for them to raise your rent fee or its for them to look for somewhere else while they still live in yours?if it's for them to raise they fee then you really have nothing to lose..cuz am a bit surprised that 4 tenants are moving out at a go
Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by MAURI: 7:05am On Oct 05, 2016
Bros,
Pls listen to the poster that said you shld accept & make them commit to the 3 months agreement. He is really tlking frm experience. And i can tell u frm experience too, if care is not taken, you might end up losing double or more than the 3 month rent. I am tlking frm experience too. This is what they do, despite the notice, they can take u to court. On court date, they go and bribe court clerks & they keep posponing the court dates. In the meantime they are devoid of paying you rent since u hv served them notice. Even if u get a lawyer, sm of them conive wth the tenants. As we speak, i hv one owing me 6 months rent & i hv actually offered her to stay a whole year without paying rent, on the condition that she leavea after the one year. Fyi I hv a lawyer i m paying too.

8 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by scabit: 7:06am On Oct 05, 2016
gucciplay:

my friend, don't listen to any crap! Frist question: which state is ur property? Do not give any tenant 3 motnhs, they don't have the right to suggest that! Go the courthouse for redress and legal advice because I know the court will help you evict to tenants through legal means if you are fast. It will not take up to that time before the run. Sir, a tenant has a right when he financial backing to his claim and as long that his rents has expire; he/she is no longer your tenant until he/she renew his/her rents. Just like going to buy foodstuff in the market, when you pay, the trader revoke his right or claim to the particular item.

1 Like

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Hedonistically: 7:10am On Oct 05, 2016
Oga gra-gra would not solve the problem. Just grant them their wish and get them to sign an agreement that it's just a three month concession. If you try any other gimmick, you would surely regret it. I know many people that have lived in their rented apartments for free for more than a year and in some cases more than two years due to lingering court cases with their landlords. To avoid this finger biting experience, thread softly. Three months no dey Tey to reach.

4 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Officialkenshin(m): 7:10am On Oct 05, 2016
Youngzedd:

A responsible man or woman is to go meet with the landlord when rent is due but couldn't pay it and sort things out. But for someone to say free 3 months is just wickedness and act of irresponsibility.

I know I won't do so to people, but let people not do so to me because Agboros dey everywhere and I gotta pity no one.

That's what I'm saying he sent his younger brother there to them, he younger brother might have reported the issue back to him in an arrogant way making it look like the tenants didn't wanna pay up intentionally, you knw how people are that's why I said he shld go n meet with them personally so he will know what to do
Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by divinelove(m): 7:11am On Oct 05, 2016
gucciplay:

Wait ooo r they saying u shld give them 3 months to raise money and renew d rent. If dt is d case jst take it easy and allow d three months.

My neighbor dey owe my landlord 10 months and d man still dey shout for landlord to give him time.

Wait out d three months b4 taking any decision as dt will help build ur case against them. D minimum months it will take u to quit them is 6months.

Once u rent ur house it belongs to d occupant legally until u recover possession.

Some advice here are childish follow them at ur peril, self help will cause more damages
Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by OBAGADAFFI: 7:13am On Oct 05, 2016
vincent10:
Do you have touts in your area? If yes, pay them 2k and give them instructions to pack the tenant properties to the next street.

Come and thank me later.

LOL, you don't know Lagos.

If you try that, those tenants will claim everything you have including your property in the name of damages and incurred losses.

7 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by scabit: 7:18am On Oct 05, 2016
Officialkenshin:

You made some important points! I just want to ask you, is it not in the same economical condition the landlord is in too? So the landlord has a different condition? What if the landlord is feeding and paying bills only through this means (sole investment)? That is why I am against human feelings when discussing serious business matters. Property management is a serious business that makes billionaires! So I want to be one and I have no reason to understand any reason apart from pay my rents when due and properly use the machine(maintenance of the buildings) and we have no problem!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by OBAGADAFFI: 7:20am On Oct 05, 2016
At Op just go to the nearest courthouse and get an eviction notice.

Three months is not long, but get the eviction notice and let them know they have no choice than to leave.

1 Like

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by AfroKnight: 7:23am On Oct 05, 2016
How much is legal fees that you could not engage the services of a lawyer before accepting tenants? Now you know the importance.

Just hire a lawyer to sort things out. If you use force on them you can't win. Only a court can evict tenants.

1 Like

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by beautiful232(f): 7:24am On Oct 05, 2016
I don't think 3month is too big for you to help them with
perhaps the way the put it is bad tho

but their reason might be not having money to pay till then
just saying oo
Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Officialkenshin(m): 7:25am On Oct 05, 2016
scabit:

You made some important points! I just want to ask you, is it not in the same economical condition the landlord is in too? So the landlord has a different condition? What if the landlord is feeding and paying bills only through this means (sole investment)? That is why I am against human feelings when discussing serious business matters. Property management is a serious business that makes billionaires! So I want to be one and I have no reason to understand any reason apart from pay my rents when due and properly use the machine(maintenance of the buildings) and we have no problem!

Lolz ok o bros ur own orientation Sha but as for me I knw life is beyond this physical plane so I don't take this life seriously dats why everything goes easy for me I live comfortably and peacefully. Universe is large so is life u never know wat it truly holds. Peace#

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by Chukazu: 7:25am On Oct 05, 2016
gucciplay:

Please how possible was that, building a house with the proceeds from two plots of land?
were was the land location because I have exactly two plots and I don't mind selling it?

1 Like

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by banio: 7:26am On Oct 05, 2016
Op it's like U enta one chance. Four tenants teaming up against U, abi U increase rent by 100%. Some tenants are into such behaviour getting 3 to 6 months from each landlord. They will pay 1 year and get 3 months free, then move to the next landlord to repeat the cycle.
Op just contact a lawyer that is into property and solve this problem.

1 Like

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by OBAGADAFFI: 7:27am On Oct 05, 2016
scabit:

Oga landlord/property Bussiness is not easy money making machine.

Some big clients are currently owing Jide Taiwo and they are still staying in the property.

The law protects the tenants than the landlord.

Once the tenant enters the property, there certain things you can't do.

The best way is to get an eviction notice form a court.

2 Likes

Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by scabit: 7:31am On Oct 05, 2016
divinelove:

Wait ooo r they saying u shld give them 3 months to raise money and renew d rent. If dt is d case jst take it easy and allow d three months.

My neighbor dey owe my landlord 10 months and d man still dey shout for landlord to give him time.

Wait out d three months b4 taking any decision as dt will help build ur case against them. D minimum months it will take u to quit them is 6months.

Once u rent ur house it belongs to d occupant legally until u recover possession.

Some advice here are childish follow them at ur peril

"Once u rent ur house it belongs to d occupant legally until u recover possession". Very wrong notion: a landlord has a right to revoke the right of the occupant after stating his reasons in writing and backed by the laws. Consideration will be given the occupant on the ground if he has financial backing to support his claim like paying of the rents. The landowner and the occupant will have a written agreement stating the conditions and length of time before the eviction. The tenancy laws of Nigeria has been revised for better treatment of both parties under the laws and if presented in a court.
Re: My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. by koolblu1(m): 7:35am On Oct 05, 2016
gucciplay:

Your tenants are right and they know the law judging from thier request. Since you sold the property....you should have informed your tenants that the property has been sold.... And possibly introduce them to the new owner.... At this point if the owner doesn't want them staying there anymore... A quit notice is served.

If their remaining tenancy duration is more than 3months then u ask them not to renew.
If it's less than 3 months then u give a 3 months notice.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Two-Storey Building Collapses In Rivers state, Three Feared Dead (Photos) / What Are The Types Of Roofing Materials, Costs And Scenario Recommendations / Difficulty In Recharging NEPA's Old Prepaid Meter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.