Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,607 members, 7,827,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

My Life As A Teacher. - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Life As A Teacher. (52853 Views)

My Life As A Teacher. / Why Did You Become A Teacher / How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 1:47pm On Jun 29, 2018
Ganjababe:
Ma'am Zaynie,

Am here o. How's the waddling ministry going?

Please, I prefer schools around Masha/Bode Thomas. Or if there is anyway I can reach you, I don't mind abeg.

Thanks so much

Hey mama....
Waddling is going on fine. Alhamdulillah
I really don't like throwing school names up and down mostly because I don't have a first hand experience in them as a parent so I can't say 100% that you'll be okay with my suggestions.
However I will give you some pointers to look out for while you hunt for schools in that axis.
Note that the area you're looking at have school fees of around 150-350k per term. Masha, Bode Thomas, Ogunlana, Adeniran Ogunsanya are highbrow Surulere and everything around there is expensive.

These are some popular schools around there that I know of.
Sunny fields (Masha)
Princeton (Censor, just after Masha)
Fountain School (right beside Princeton)
Oakwood Montessori (Bode Thomas)
Kids Court (Ogunlana or so)
K-Kotun (Bode Thomas or so)

Also note that just because a school is expensive doesn't automatically translate to its been efficient or dedicated at that.
As a parent, its left to you to see that your child's school meets all your criteria and that at any point in time, your child is safe, well cared for and well applied.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Oliran(f): 2:36pm On Jun 29, 2018
zaynie:

Hello mama.
Reading? For a 2 year old might be quite too early.
Try to get picture books and make a story out of the.. It could be your regular coloring book.
For example if on one page there is a picture of an elephant, you could make a sentence like
Mom: what do you see?
Child: I see an elephant. ( or just say elephant)
Mom: wow! The elephant is sooooooo big! It walks like this (imitate a big elephant with big loud steps).
And look at its trunk go (use your arms as your trunks and blow loudly like a trumpet). The sounds you make will make him smile and that's how the love of books begins.
Mom: would you like to color the elephant?
Child: okay.. (Child gets to choose color cos your activity is child centred; no matter how ridiculous the colour seems for the image: that is how favorite colors are known)
Mom: what color is that?
Child: color red!
Mom: that's right! Its color red (Or) oh no! That's color purple and not red. What color is this? (Point to the same crayon.
Child: color purple.
Mom: great now we get to color the elephant purple. ( if the book is big, you can color together but if it isn't you just observe that he is holding the crayon the right way)

For his age, fat crayons are advised so he can practice his pincer grips or you get palmer grasp crayons. These crayons are quite large and the child grasps with the whole hand but I think he should be older than that.

Now coming back to his pencil grip, get fat tripod pencils for him. I've posted a pix here before, kindly go through the last few pages.
Other activities to help with tripod grip are pegging, lacing, sorting rice and brands, tearing paper.
You may need to download Pinterest. You'll see a lot of activities that you can easily modify from your end.
Also visit you tube to watch videos of how the activities are best carried out.

The thumb, fore and middle fingers are the tripod grip.
In the images below, note the age of the child so no pressures, this is a the teaching phase, he will gradually learn to hold the pencil right. The fat tripod pencil will help a great deal. Some of the kids in my class 26m have mastered the grip while some are still struggling with it, last last everybody go hold pencil.
I'm quoting this for future use.

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Ganjababe: 9:09pm On Jun 29, 2018
Thank you Momma!!
I really appreciate the insight. I know of Oakwood so well and am not a fan but I know they are quite pricey.
We went sightseeing today and we have like 3 schools on our mind. Like you said, it's not about the fees but the quality.

Bode Thomas is still our best bet. Will update you as things unfold.
Regards to the family.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Fyngal1(f): 10:29pm On Jul 02, 2018
Please mama Zaynie, my son is starting pre-school in Sept. But i'm concerned because apart from finger foods, he can't feed himself. Do teachers feed pupils or do I pack only finger foods for him?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 7:18am On Jul 03, 2018
Fyngal1:
Please mama Zaynie, my son is starting pre-school in Sept. But i'm concerned because apart from finger foods, he can't feed himself. Do teachers feed pupils or do I pack only finger foods for him?

Yes we feed them up to 4 years at times sef.
Holding cutlery the right way (from plate to mouth with minimal spilling) are some of the things they're taught in school too. wink.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jul 03, 2018
Mama Zaynie, I loveeeeeeeeeee your thread. kiss kiss Keep up the good work ma. I'm following it bumper to bumper. grin wink

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Fyngal1(f): 11:59pm On Jul 03, 2018
zaynie:

Yes we feed them up to 4 years at times sef.
Holding cutlery the right way (from plate to mouth with minimal spilling) are some of the things they're taught in school too. wink.
Thank you so much. I'm relieved to hear that. BTW, have you considered blogging? I really think you'd excel at it kiss

3 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Robbale: 12:56am On Jul 04, 2018
hello good day.am Timmy by name.are you in need for home lesson teacher/tutor for your child or ward?,worry no more as i can help improve the academic performance of your child in various subjects such as maths ,physics ,chemistry and furthermaths.from ss1 to ss3.jss 1 to 3 also available. i also offer home lesson for primary school student,what i do is a one on one interaction and private section with your child.all base in benin city.if you need me or you have a friend or neighbour in need of home lesson teacher in Benin ciyy.kimdly contact me on WHATSAPP or CALL.09028685530.thanks and God bless...

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 10:46pm On Jul 05, 2018
GlitteringStar:
Mama Zaynie, I loveeeeeeeeeee your thread. kiss kiss Keep up the good work ma. I'm following it bumper to bumper. grin wink

Thanks maami kiss

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 10:48pm On Jul 05, 2018
Fyngal1:

Thank you so much. I'm relieved to hear that. BTW, have you considered blogging? I really think you'd excel at it kiss

I've been told but I'm so neck deep in a million things and I'm afraid I'm spreading myself too thin.

I'll put it in mind and hope that I get the motivation and time to actual begin. cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Fyngal1(f): 11:52am On Jul 07, 2018
zaynie:

I've been told but I'm so neck deep in a million things and I'm afraid I'm spreading myself too thin.

I'll put it in mind and hope that I get the motivation and time to actual begin. cheesy

please do. i'm your number one fan

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 12:30pm On Jul 07, 2018
Fyngal1:

please do. i'm your number one fan

kiss
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Fyngal1(f): 3:41pm On Sep 24, 2018
mama zaynie, please i have a question to ask: my neighbour told me today that she put her toddler who just started pre-nursery in extra after-school class. i.e after the school's normal after school classes which ends @ 3pm, the chils attends a private class till 5pm. i didn't think it was o.k but i didn't say anything seeing that i'm a FTM plus i'm not a teacher. she has an older kid in K.G 2 and she said thats what she has been doing for that one too. as a teacher, what do you think?

p.s: she's a SAHM.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 3:48pm On Sep 24, 2018
Fyngal1:
mama zaynie, please i have a question to ask: my neighbour told me today that she put her toddler who just started pre-nursery in extra after-school class. i.e after the school's normal after school classes which ends @ 3pm, the chils attends a private class till 5pm. i didn't think it was o.k but i didn't say anything seeing that i'm a FTM plus i'm not a teacher. she has an older kid in K.G 2 and she said thats what she has been doing for that one too. as a teacher, what do you think?

p.s: she's a SAHM.

She's just looking for opportunity to stay away from the the kids as much as she can.
They most likely won't teach anything tangible at that time. Just give them food and play with them till 5.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Fyngal1(f): 6:35pm On Sep 24, 2018
zaynie:

She's just looking for opportunity to stay away from the the kids as much as she can.
They most likely won't teach anything tangible at that time. Just give them food and play with them till 5.

I thought as much. thanks mama

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 12:58am On Jan 03, 2019
Time to wake you up.

School is resuming on Monday and now I teach 18m-30m olds so I'm expecting a tiny dose of gibberish baby talks, some tantrums and of course a lot of tears and wailings grin

7 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Onaswu(f): 1:02am On Jan 03, 2019
zaynie:
Time to wake you up.

School is resuming on Monday and now I teach 18m-30m olds so I'm expecting a tiny dose of gibberish baby talks, some tantrums and of course a lot of tears and wailings grin
so your leave has ended?
wao how time flies
Akorede nko?

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 10:16pm On Jan 03, 2019
Onaswu:

so your leave has ended?
wao how time flies
Akorede nko?

Yes ó, time flies gidigan
Akorede wá daada.
How are your kids too?
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Onaswu(f): 7:47pm On Jan 04, 2019
zaynie:

Yes ó, time flies gidigan Akorede wá daada. How are your kids too?
Doing very well ma Ese ma

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Adeapex(m): 8:15am On Jan 05, 2019
If there is any school in Lagos looking for Mathematics teacher(IGCSE Maths, Additional Maths, WAEC Maths, and NECO Maths), please, kindly contact me on 08067034194
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Fisayomi1: 12:44pm On Jan 23, 2019
zaynie:

Yes ó, time flies gidigan
Akorede wá daada.
How are your kids too?
Hello ma, please I will like to know the necessary skills/ steps needed to start up a creche. Noticed that creches around me here are more of baby sitting centres so I wish to fill the gap and will need your advice as regards that. Thank you ma
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by crystalzoe: 10:50am On Jan 24, 2019
zaynie:
Time to wake you up.

Well done mama
Pls my son will be two in march and his sch asked to move him from daycare to prenursery this jan. I'm of the opinion that sept is best for him when he'll be 30mths old. They moved two other children who are in the same age range and now I feel like I didn't decide properly
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by youngleadersInc(m): 11:02am On Jan 24, 2019
to teach is very amazing. most especially when it has to do with something very necessary a truth for all to know. the truth our educational system is infiltrated and most of the things it teaches are stale and can't get anyone anywhere... that's why it leaves us clamouring for more jobs as if that would solve the problem at hand in the country. I thank God for some materials He has helped me lay my hands on and have helped me thus far I would like to share them with u. u can actually become an educationist/teacher of positive change to your world that's if you lay hold on tis knowledge that's making a difference in the youth today. u know what email me.let's know where you are living we will love to work with you to change the third word.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by NL1960: 11:52am On Jan 24, 2019
crystalzoe:

Well done mama
Pls my son will be two in march and his sch asked to move him from daycare to prenursery this jan. I'm of the opinion that sept is best for him when he'll be 30mths old. They moved two other children who are in the same age range and now I feel like I didn't decide properly

It is not bad if the pre-nursery is just one year. That will ensure that he will be in Nursery 1 by 3years 6 months, Nursery 2 at 4 years 6 months and Primary One at 5 years 6 months and primary 5 at 9 years 6 months. If he decides to do entrances into secondary school in primary 5, he will enter at 10+ which is fine. I took this route with my daughter though she did not do daycare and pre-nursery. she entered nursery at 3+ as she was born in February while my son who also did not do daycare and pre-nursery entered nursery 1 at 3 as he was born in mid September.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 12:46pm On Jan 27, 2019
Fisayomi1:

Hello ma, please I will like to know the necessary skills/ steps needed to start up a creche. Noticed that creches around me here are more of baby sitting centres so I wish to fill the gap and will need your advice as regards that. Thank you ma

Hi
To teach preschoolers, these are what parents want. In order of importance

1. State of mind. Parents want to drop their kids up happy. I want my child to be excited to go to school, no tears, no tantrums. I want to pick them up happy. Smiling, laughing with tales of what went on in school.

2. Safety. Parents want to be confident that the way they dropped their child is how they would meet the child. No case of kidnap, manhandling, hospitalization, accidents, bullying, abuse, scars, or emotional torture on their kids. As long as my children are safe in your care then I'm fine.

3. Application of skills and time.
If I have a child that is outspoken and expresses herself well, I don't want you to mute her, I want you to apply her and help her channel her strength into positive energy. If she has a weakness, I want you to help me numb it and turn it into her strength.
A mother of a preschooler is more worried about feeding than what she can write.... Fact.
If my picky eater 3yo child comes to you and in a week she starts guzzling food, I'll be singing your praise all her life, I'll tell everyone who wishes to listen that you are a magician and can do anything! Long after my child is no longer in your care, you will still be in my memory and that translates to referrals for you.

4. EYFS...Early years education.
You need a forum of training for this.
There's an EY diploma course running in Unilag every year. You also need a jolly phonics training. You need to be a certified first aider and at least another teacher should too.
EYF helps to lay the right foundation in preparation for the big school (primary). So if you basically cater for 1-4yo children you need some fork of formal training if your kids will be moving on to another school. But if you will be teaching 0-2yo then you can just look up some sensorial, fine motor and gross motor activities to include in their timetable.

Did I answer your questions?
Please let me know if you have more questions.
Good luck!

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 12:49pm On Jan 27, 2019
crystalzoe:

Well done mama

No vex ìyá.
Na busy get me these days. kiss

He'll most likely catch up with them sooner or later.
There must have been a solid reason for the movement. Their daycare could be filled with crawlers and that means they have to move the walkers to the next class but what I have realised is it's better for my child to be a bit older in the class than younger.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Olamsoh: 9:09am On Jan 28, 2019
cheesy
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by crystalzoe: 7:52am On Jan 29, 2019
zaynie:

No vex ìyá.
Na busy get me these days. kiss

He'll most likely catch up with them sooner or later.
There must have been a solid reason for the movement. Their daycare could be filled with crawlers and that means they have to move the walkers to the next class but what I have realised is it's better for my child to be a bit older in the class than younger.
At all mama. I understand ur tight schedule. Thanks for taking out time to respond.
You are very correct. They had an increase in babies even my 8th old daughter joined so they requested for the walkers to be moved.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by crystalzoe: 8:00am On Jan 29, 2019
NL1960:

It is not bad if the pre-nursery is just one year. That will ensure that he will be in Nursery 1 by 3years 6 months, Nursery 2 at 4 years 6 months and Primary One at 5 years 6 months and primary 5 at 9 years 6 months. If he decides to do entrances into secondary school in primary 5, he will enter at 10+ which is fine. I took this route with my daughter though she did not do daycare and pre-nursery. she entered nursery at 3+ as she was born in February while my son who also did not do daycare and pre-nursery entered nursery 1 at 3 as he was born in mid September.
Thanks so much
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Ajibolatao(m): 11:59am On Jan 29, 2019
Improve and learn new skills on Lynda.com. Get access to premium courses for a token.

Contact me or use the link below :

https://www.nairaland.com/4864664/premium-lynda.com-account-watch-download#73256339
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Fisayomi1: 4:14pm On Feb 07, 2019
zaynie:

Hi
To teach preschoolers, these are what parents want. In order of importance

1. State of mind. Parents want to drop their kids up happy. I want my child to be excited to go to school, no tears, no tantrums. I want to pick them up happy. Smiling, laughing with tales of what went on in school.

2. Safety. Parents want to be confident that the way they dropped their child is how they would meet the child. No case of kidnap, manhandling, hospitalization, accidents, bullying, abuse, scars, or emotional torture on their kids. As long as my children are safe in your care then I'm fine.

3. Application of skills and time.
If I have a child that is outspoken and expresses herself well, I don't want you to mute her, I want you to apply her and help her channel her strength into positive energy. If she has a weakness, I want you to help me numb it and turn it into her strength.
A mother of a preschooler is more worried about feeding than what she can write.... Fact.
If my picky eater 3yo child comes to you and in a week she starts guzzling food, I'll be singing your praise all her life, I'll tell everyone who wishes to listen that you are a magician and can do anything! Long after my child is no longer in your care, you will still be in my memory and that translates to referrals for you.

4. EYFS...Early years education.
You need a forum of training for this.
There's an EY diploma course running in Unilag every year. You also need a jolly phonics training. You need to be a certified first aider and at least another teacher should too.
EYF helps to lay the right foundation in preparation for the big school (primary). So if you basically cater for 1-4yo children you need some fork of formal training if your kids will be moving on to another school. But if you will be teaching 0-2yo then you can just look up some sensorial, fine motor and gross motor activities to include in their timetable.

Did I answer your questions?
Please let me know if you have more questions.
Good luck!

Waohhhh
Yes you did
Thank you so much. I'm very much grateful!!!

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by bookholla(f): 11:34am On Mar 07, 2019
Good day Mama Zaynie,I have been going tru your posts here about teaching and I must say you are doing a great job.
Please,for someone that has a first degree in a non education field,where would you say should be the starting point to venture into early childhood teaching. Is it masters ,diploma or some trainings. Kindly enlighten me on how to go about it .

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Should I Sell My Virginity To Retain My Job? / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria / Cleaner Earns N375,000 Monthly In Niger State – Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.