Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,759 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married (28483 Views)

26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) / I'm About To Regret Getting Married / All The Drama That Happens When Your Parents Are Arguing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by ifycent2: 9:58am On Oct 06, 2016
AreaFada2:

Please do not misquote the Bible. It says "honor your father & your mother that your days may be long".

The same Bible says "he who finds a wife finds a good thing".

Honour is not obeying everything they say you can or cannot do as a grown ass dude.

Should obeying them stop him from getting a good thing?

The lady can decide to go. Not out of lack of love but if she feels his parents are just using delay tactics to send her a message of refusal.

What happens when the dude goes off-shore without her for God knows how many years? Is that not tempting fate? shocked shocked

brother, I don't no wat to say oooooooh..... problems every where in this Nigeria.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 06, 2016
Let me get this straight.

1. You are 25yrs old, and a graduate.

2. have a good job.

3. Have a girl who is willing to marry.

4. You are a man.

Conclusion : if you re a man with means, your parents can't decide for you. they can't stop you from marrying.

Whats the joy in marrying 10 years from now, I think your parents are being selfish, they want to eat your money alone.

You must show them that you are ready to take your destiny in your hands.

At 25yrs. YOUR PARENTS HAVE NO POWER TO DECIDE WHEN OR WHO YOU MARRY. If you cant break off their hold on you , then they re probably right about your immaturity. angry

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by saudyarmani(m): 10:36am On Oct 06, 2016
Bro you ain't young to marry ooo.....what I will tell you is what your parents will see while they are sitting...you cannot see even when you are standing on a 100ft ladder,they see farther than you think......

Obedience is better than sacrifice
#shalom
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by LoveJesus87(m): 11:01am On Oct 06, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
I'm with your parents on this one..... The fact you're okay financially doesn't mean you're ready for marriage... It's not like they said you shouldn't marry her, they said you both should wait!... So my advice... ...wait!
wait and be committing fornication abi or worse giv d gal belle outside marriage se? Afi wait naa. Maturity by the way is not a function of age

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by oneolajire(m): 11:29am On Oct 06, 2016
I think the challenge is with you and your wife-to-be, as both parents saw much immaturity with you and your woman.

You've done little or nothing to clear doubts that you can husband a woman (not sex this time around). What have u shown them that you can manage a wife? Note this is not a housemate or housemaid.

They are not warning you, they are only speaking from experience and fears.

If u want to move ahead, clear their doubts and fears. Let them know you are not in a hurry.

It is more difficult nowadays getting married when the in-laws deny approval.

If patience is needed, pls do
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by cosade(m): 11:54am On Oct 06, 2016
kaeforum:
Let me get this straight.

1. You are 25yrs old, and a graduate.

2. have a good job.

3. Have a girl who is willing to marry.

4. You are a man.

Conclusion : if you re a man with means, your parents can't decide for you. they can't stop you from marrying.

Whats the joy in marrying 10 years from now, I think your parents are being selfish, they want to eat your money alone.

You must show them that you are ready to take your destiny in your hands.

At 25yrs. YOUR PARENTS HAVE NO POWER TO DECIDE WHEN OR WHO YOU MARRY. If you cant break off their hold on you , then they re probably right about your immaturity. angry

You don't sound like an African and a Christian because it matters in both.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Missmossy(f): 11:54am On Oct 06, 2016
There is something both parents saw which you don't know obviously. 25 is too early for a guy especially these days. Its best you wait, that's why i don't support being in relationships at a younger age its best to focus on your career at such age and plan for the future.

Your parents can't lead you astray, i personally can't marry a guy who is 25 too young. Late twenties sounds better. But on the other hand considering you and the lady you intend settling down with have dated for four years if i aint mistaken to me its just too long and you both aint married yet.

Despite all at 25 there are certain things your eyes hasn't seen and other things which are very challenging. Especially in so many ramifications, BTW hope you ain't the first born?? That alone comes with a bigger task.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by koolguy88(m): 12:38pm On Oct 06, 2016
The earlier the better.
Go ahead with your marriage plans. Try to convince your parents and also put it in prayers.

God bless

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by laikas: 1:05pm On Oct 06, 2016
Cutehector:
I think they are right... why not wait until you are 30yrs of age first.... marriage isn't smth u rush into.
wot do u mean
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Cutehector(m): 1:11pm On Oct 06, 2016
laikas:

wot do u mean
I mean u shouldn't rush into smth as complex as marriage just because you have got a job @ 25... still be patient.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by noble71(m): 1:39pm On Oct 06, 2016
Irony of life.... my parents want me to get married at 25 yrs but I refused. but here is a guy that want to settle down and the parent refused.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by mecussey(m): 2:01pm On Oct 06, 2016
falcon01:

but any way do what they say tell them they are right and you just realised been married is a ll bullshit keep talking about how you don't wanna get married how you think getting children is a mess show them you just lost interest in women don't make them see you with a girl though you can have your fun when you are not with them until they get tired. and start disturbing you for grandson.

Lol...you apply my strategies, the way african parents want to run their childrens life tire me. Trace them back, you will discover they married even before 22, now they dont want there child to do the same. I feel its jealousy of how the successful child will divert his attention from them but they get it wrong. They should allow the guy, there is need to be a father in time, though its expensive, then when is it going to be less expensive, ofcourse never.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by mentorseries(m): 2:09pm On Oct 06, 2016
steppin:

You're too young to marry. If you get married now, give it two years and you'll be asking yourself why you couldn't wait a little longer.
Young people get bored easily and most times, they lack the patience and understanding needed in a marriage.
Why do u think so.. Everyone aint the same.. It might work out for him.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by obarasqie(m): 2:38pm On Oct 06, 2016
Cutehector:
I think they are right... why not wait until you are 30yrs of age first.... marriage isn't smth u rush into.
i believe if one is ready, he shouldnt be stopped from getting married. u are done with sch, u re okay financially and u av a nice job. wat else is he waiting for. most people at the age of 30 don't even have half of what he has

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by lepasharon(f): 4:32pm On Oct 06, 2016
Kebabs:
Can u boldy tell this to ur parents? Abi na e-boldness u get?

PierreDeFermat:
if his parents curse him afterwards,will you be there for him? All of you go run away

Realhommie:
You don't feel like to get married, you plan/prepare for it.

So let's say he's ready like he claims, he should go ahead ehn, without the consent and blessings of both parents?

Where are you from please?

I am not superstitious like the majority of you Africans, nobody can blackmail me emotionally with the threat of curses.

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Realhommie(m): 5:25pm On Oct 06, 2016
lepasharon:

I am not superstitious like the majority of you Africans, nobody can blackmail me emotionally with the threat of curses.
This isn't about superstition, it's about common sense, it's the right thing to do actually.

If you're a Christian and you study the Bible, see Eph 6 vs 1-2.

You cannot dishonor ur parents and expect all to be well with you, it is the word of God, no one has to blackmail you with a curse.

Your proposal was for him to go ahead whether the parents are in support or not it doesn't matter so long he feels like it. And i'm saying it's wrong.

In this regard the parents aren't even against them getting married, they just want them to exercise some patience since they (the parents) feel their children aren't matured enough yet.

It's simple, just a matter of understanding, that way they'll all reach a compromise then he could go ahead to get married to the woman of his dreams but not against the wishes of both parents.

I rise...
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by PierreDeFermat(m): 5:26pm On Oct 06, 2016
lepasharon:

go and slap your dad then. I you're not superstitious,why not teach him against his parents as its very obvious he's the superstitous type and thats why he brought the issue to nl. If I was in his shoes,i know what I would have done but I can't because of that teach him what I would have done. Madam use your brain. No one is claiming superstitious sh!t here.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Bitsien: 9:25pm On Oct 06, 2016
It's unfortunate that your parents are not in support of your plan.. I was 25 and wife 20 when we got married 17 years ago and I have not regretted. Try and convince them if it is what you really want
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Trottle: 5:15am On Jun 20, 2017
doveda:
What opportunities?undecided

What is wrong with wit you guys people sef?

God bless you sister!
Some people feel ready to carry on responsibilities EARLIER than others. Being that each individual has a their separate "ready" time, it would be too cruel to hold him down due to their perceived assumption that he is not ready.

Opportunities come marriage or not. Your lecturer's perspective is bot the general yardstick!

I plan to marry at 25, and I'm a full blooded Nigerian male.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Trottle: 5:18am On Jun 20, 2017
PierreDeFermat:
which multinational company would send him abroad to spear head an offshore business within 2 years? Op,you're a liar but 25 is too young to marry joor. Wait till you're at least 30. Only guys that maybe impregnate a girl are forced to marry that young

25 is too young to marry, but not too young to fornicate undecided
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Trottle: 5:24am On Jun 20, 2017
dsamedaniels:
It's not about age or achievements. Of all comments @baby124 was d only person with a direct word. Both parents sees something in you that is not matured. May be ur attitude, manner of words, way of life Etc or it's seen in ur wife to be. So wait just like u av been advised. Nd u both work on urselves, to avoid d 'had I know's' in marriage.

So he should wait for 4-5 years before getting married? I trust that you are aware of new marriages of peeps in their 40 somethings crashing. Don't you think that tge loss of their "cash cow" is a reason for the deliberate delay? And by 4-5 years they would have gotten their ROI.

Parhaps, this issue is a lot deeper...

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Trottle: 5:31am On Jun 20, 2017
saudyarmani:
Bro you ain't young to marry ooo.....what I will tell you is what your parents will see while they are sitting...you cannot see even when you are standing on a 100ft ladder,they see farther than you think......

Obedience is better than sacrifice
#shalom

God forbid, what if ge does not live till the next 5 years?? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Third Parties Involvement Ruin My Parents Marriage / His Mother Said His Fiancee Is Not Beautiful And Classy / My Colleague's Husband Stresses His Wife Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.