Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,131 members, 7,811,194 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married (28479 Views)

26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) / I'm About To Regret Getting Married / All The Drama That Happens When Your Parents Are Arguing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by ceenote: 12:16am On Oct 06, 2016
Me

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 12:37am On Oct 06, 2016
pocohantas:
No be Nigerian parents again?
The issue isn't that you are not mature, they want to reap their ROI via you, they know that if you get married at 25 and the kids start coming, nothing much for them.
And you will discover that the reason many of them are saying you shouldn't marry yet is for their own selfish reasons. And yeah they also know if your wife comes into the picture then you will concentrate on your nuclear family (which is suppose to be the normal thing anyway) Or perhaps your elders ones are envious tha youre doing so before them. Or your parents are still looking at you like a kid. At 25 years with a good job you don't need your parents permission to get married. What you need is their blessings.

6 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by pocohantas(f): 12:49am On Oct 06, 2016
12inches1:

And you will discover that the reason many of them are saying you shouldn't marry yet is for their own selfish reasons. And yeah they also know if your wife comes into the picture then you will concentrate on your nuclear family (which is suppose to be the normal thing anyway) Or perhaps your elders ones are envious tha youre doing so before them. Or your parents are still looking at you like a kid. At 25 years with a good job you don't need your parents permission to get married. What you need is their blessings.
It's mainly for selfish reasons. I have a cousin that wanted to get married at 28, they kept opposing based on this same maturity.
When he kept insisting, they didn't know when they asked him "what have you done for the family that you want to marry?".

Most times, it's for their selfish reasons.

5 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by ifycent2: 12:58am On Oct 06, 2016
Obey your parents words.

Obey your father and mother so dat your days will be long.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by BobUg28(m): 1:09am On Oct 06, 2016
First of all, i'm happy for whom you are and the blessings of God upon your life. IMO, I don't see anything wrong getting married at 25. Provided you're matured enough to raise a family, what's the big deal?? Even, stimes early marriage diverts our attention from mingling with different kind of ladies which is a sure way of getting away from Hiv and otheer related StDs.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by diva90: 1:32am On Oct 06, 2016
I personally think you two are quite young and may not be emotionally ready for the challenges of marriage . Your parents are more experienced and will never mislead you. Why not wait till you are atleast 28/29 and she's about 25/26. Marriage is for life, so why the rush? I'm a female and I'm going to tell you this, I got married at 25 but if I knew what I know about marriage today, I wouldn't have gotten married until I was 27. So take it easy and be patient. It's not all about doing it but doing it well matters most. Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 2:15am On Oct 06, 2016
if you are the first born and have siblings or your are the first male born , its better you heed to your parents advice and wait till you are 27/28... when i was 25 i jokingly told my parents i wanted to get married, my dad was like i should wait till i am 30 , that there is a lot of responsibility i havent taken care of yet

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by AreaFada2: 2:38am On Oct 06, 2016
Dude, I think there are more reasons than just age. Just 40 years ago, lots of people, especially women married around the age of 19 to 23.

If you check carefully, most mothers who oppose early marriage, they themselves married at a younger age. And successfully too.
As for those saying his parents know he's not ready, that may not be true. It is normal for parents or older people to think younger ones are not serious or ready or responsible. Whereas the younger ones might actually be better informed and better prepared now than people of same age were a generation ago.

It is how the marriage evolves that matters. Change is constant. People change & circumstances change too. Life 20 years from now could be fundamentally different.

Both have dated for 4 years and they are still in love & feel compatible. Another 4 years of uncertainty & no commitment could strain their relationship. Especially if the lady & her family perceive the delay story as a tacit refusal.

Dude ask your parents politely if they have other reasons. And make them explain exactly why they think you are not ready.

It could issues like you need to invest first, build a house or houses, etc. They might just not be ready to let go of you yet. Like senior son, an only son, or they might think "that girl tear eye" and she might start controlling you etc. Once married, you can become out of their reach. That can be good or bad. Depends on whose interest. But generally parents worry a lot about their kids.

Marriage is an institution in which you get your certificate during matriculation & you never graduate from it.

Learning & adapting along the way matter a lot more than your "JAMB score". cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by AreaFada2: 3:15am On Oct 06, 2016
ifycent2:
Obey your parents words.

Please do not misquote the Bible. It says "honor your father & your mother that your days may be long".

The same Bible says "he who finds a wife finds a good thing".

Honour is not obeying everything they say you can or cannot do as a grown ass dude.

Should obeying them stop him from getting a good thing?

The lady can decide to go. Not out of lack of love but if she feels his parents are just using delay tactics to send her a message of refusal.

What happens when the dude goes off-shore without her for God knows how many years? Is that not tempting fate? shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Rekyz(m): 3:42am On Oct 06, 2016
Obstruction of LOVE - Part 3. Directed by Ogechukwu Eze. Starring Uche Jumbo & Nonso D...
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Kebabs(m): 3:43am On Oct 06, 2016
Please warrisdis?
Johnsown1:
Don't rush in cost he may rush out
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Kebabs(m): 3:46am On Oct 06, 2016
Can u boldy tell this to ur parents? Abi na e-boldness u get?
lepasharon:
Are you a little kid? Are you living ur life for ur parents? If you feeling like its time then go ahead and marry
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by ArabMopol(m): 4:02am On Oct 06, 2016
ADVICE

1 get the girl pregnant and let see if ur parents won't succumb

2 start forming gay, this might get u in much bigger problem, but it work very fast because no parents wishes to have gay/lesbian as a child

3 lastly kidnap urself, by disappearing, give them terms as ransom,

is good to be stubborn at times, it works for me, I can't please them and displeased my self....

Op ur parents have a good reason , marriage is not a day journey, marriage is a long time relationship, I dont want to hear stories that touches heart in nearby future, marriage is not something u can ventures and came out easily, get enough experience by dating two or more girls, 30s upward is normal age for a man to settle down while 25yrs upward is normal age for a woman to open her legs wider for one man...
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by fr3do(m): 4:14am On Oct 06, 2016
My papa 24, mum 22 when they got married.
You have been dating the babe for 4 years wetin you dey wait 4?
Extratime to fornicate?

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by vislabraye(m): 4:31am On Oct 06, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
I'm currently on a crossroad and I really need your cordial insights on this issue.
I graduated two years ago and I'm currently 25years old and God has been extremely so good to me.
I was recently able to secure a job in a multinational firm and I receive a very good pay.
I've been able to put a lot of things in order and I feel I'm ready to settle down.
I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is currently 23 and she accepted. our families have been friends even before we were born. myself and her grew up together and we are literally best friends( we've officially been dating for the past 4years).
I've stated my intentions to my parents and hers but they both disagreed .They said we're too young to start a family and we should wait for a minimum of 4 to 5 years .
I'll be travelling out of the country next year with my company to start an off-shore business unit and I planned to get married to her by December and take her along with me.
I really don't know what to do as my family has become my enemy in this issue.
They threatened not to give me their blessings and never to accept money from me if I go ahead with my plans.

Thank God for your career. 25 is young. If u wait a few more years, you have nothing to lose. You'll get more experience. Have u done your masters or planning to do one ? Waiting for some time is not bad.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by lmbnicegirl(f): 4:35am On Oct 06, 2016
Irony of life, reverse is the case.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by lmbnicegirl(f): 4:36am On Oct 06, 2016
Irony of life, reverse is the case. my brother please let them understand and continue praying.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Taryur3(m): 4:38am On Oct 06, 2016
ceenote:
My wife and I got married when we were 24 and 22 respectively.
Your wife older than you right?
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Taryur3(m): 4:42am On Oct 06, 2016
ifycent2:
Obey your parents words.

Your primary school memory verse.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Anugoson(m): 5:25am On Oct 06, 2016
pocohantas:

It's mainly for selfish reasons. I have a cousin that wanted to get married at 28, they kept opposing based on this same maturity.
When he kept insisting, they didn't know when they asked him "what have you done for the family that you want to marry?".

Most times, it's for their selfish reasons.
I'm wit you guys. I don't see the reason why they should oppose the young man's intention with age as an excuse if nothing is not hidden. I will advice the op to look beyond, he will see the hidden agenda.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by MChaze25(m): 5:29am On Oct 06, 2016
Have you built a house?
Or you want to a life of rent?
Have you secured your future amidst the plenty that you have now?
Start investing and always show results/progress to your parents.
Life is a turntable.
What if you loose your job tomorrow and she walks out of the marriage?
You think you know her and her people more than your parents do?
I once ate in the house of a family friend, my mum heard about it and gave me a spank i never imagined.
She knows better...
Open teeths doesnt mean open hearts talkmore of open doors to marriage talks!
Act like a man first that wants a great future first and watch them agree to you sooner.
Cheers..
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Mayflowa(m): 5:48am On Oct 06, 2016
Cutehector:
I think they are right... why not wait until you are 30yrs of age first.... marriage isn't smth u rush into.

Jeezzzz! A whole 30 yrs. That is like a Methuselah. Lol. African really underate themselves. A boy of 25 is a grown man.

Why did they hurry his life if they knew they were going to clog the wheel at a time?

Parents put pressure on the female children too. They tell them not to date or marry before 25. Yet they cursed them for not marrying at 26. So funny.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by taurustm(m): 5:49am On Oct 06, 2016
25 is young? And can you guys tell me why we say "age isn't maturity". If there's other important reason, your parents should kindly tell you because i don't see your age o be a barrier here.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Mayflowa(m): 6:13am On Oct 06, 2016
diva90:
I personally think you two are quite young and may not be emotionally ready for the challenges of marriage . Your parents are more experienced and will never mislead you. Why not wait till you are atleast 28/29 and she's about 25/26. Marriage is for life, so why the rush? I'm a female and I'm going to tell you this, I got married at 25 but if I knew what I know about marriage today, I wouldn't have gotten married until I was 27. So take it easy and be patient. It's not all about doing it but doing it well matters most. Good luck!

Just be glad you got married when you did. You probably would have been single by now and wishing for any man. Are there not friends of yours that are still single?

The only reason you are thinking like this is because that same marriage has built you up to think bigger. Left alone, you had grope in the dark. Do you understand my reasoning? So be glad and reach for higher goal. Marriage doesn't subtrate. It just adds.

4 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Collins0609(m): 6:17am On Oct 06, 2016
Thwy may b something ur parents know abt d gal ,they are not telling u.go and investigate.as,an adage said,what an elder see siting down, a young man wil not see even if he is on top of d mountain.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by rafsonnggmail(m): 6:22am On Oct 06, 2016
I think ur parents re right to some extend
Marrying at dat age may denied u so many opportunities in life
At dat age u have so many chance to struggle ahead & aquare alot.
My lectural once told me to take every opportunities dat come my way while I'm still single because once u tide de knot ur challenge wld definitely multiply
Wat giv u assurance dat de same company u re working wit today can't sack u tomoro?
So exercise patient wit ur parents so dat u don't regret ur action tomoro. U still have plenty of choice to make o
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by doveda: 6:26am On Oct 06, 2016
Do we have a tool for measuring readiness or marriage? He said he ready, what is their business? There is no idea age for marriage, if he wants to get married he should go ahead joor

@Cuteector, why should he wait until he is 30 to get married. 15 years old is not too young for a lady or a guy to get married if they so desire.

JeffreyJamez:
I'm with your parents on this one..... The fact you're okay financially doesn't mean you're ready for marriage... It's not like they said you shouldn't marry her, they said you both should wait!... So my advice... ...wait!

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by kasson(m): 6:27am On Oct 06, 2016
What elders see sitting down, children can't even when they climb the tallest palmtree.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by doveda: 6:27am On Oct 06, 2016
What opportunities?undecided

What is wrong with wit you guys people sef?
rafsonnggmail:
I think ur parents re right to some extend
Marrying at dat age may denied u so many opportunities in life
At dat age u have so many chance to struggle ahead & aquare alot.
My lectural once told me to take every opportunities dat come my way while I'm still single because once u tide de knot ur challenge wld definitely multiply
Wat giv u assurance dat de same company u re working wit today can't sack u tomoro?
So exercise patient wit ur parents so dat u don't regret ur action tomoro. U still have plenty of choice to make o

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by doveda: 6:29am On Oct 06, 2016
Are you trying to say he can't do his master's or gain experience as a married man?

vislabraye:

Thank God for your career. 25 is young. If u wait a few more years, you have nothing to lose. You'll get more experience. Have u done your masters or planning to do one ? Waiting for some time is not bad.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

His Mother Said His Fiancee Is Not Beautiful And Classy / My Colleague's Husband Stresses His Wife Daily / 62-year-old Nigerian Woman Delivers Triplet After 33 Years Of Marriage (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.