Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,258 members, 7,815,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? (29851 Views)

My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Eviction, The Tenant And The Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by estagirl(f): 7:30am On Oct 06, 2016
It is the responsibility of the landlord to maintain his property and make his tenants enjoy their stay. Why will a tenant pay for the road repair when he will not stay their forever. The landlord can tell tenants they shud vacate their house at any time. Issues like dis are discussed at the landlord meetings because its their duties. They own dat community so they shud make it comfortable for their tenants. Tenants shud pay if its just a token and the landlord doesnt reside there.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Rainmaker69(m): 7:35am On Oct 06, 2016
The Landlord is required to put electricity in the house, the tenant is required to pay all electric bills.

The Landlord is required to ensure easy passage to the house, the tenant is required to keep the surroundings clean and neat.

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by BobUg28(m): 7:36am On Oct 06, 2016
It's the responsibility of the tenants to contribute money to grade the road. But if I'm in the landlord's shoes and you(the tenants) forced me to pay the money, I don't mind increasing your house rents which may not be cost effective and I will also gain it on a long run.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by nymphomaniac(m): 7:39am On Oct 06, 2016
TheAdvocate:

Government rates not community levies like this one
oga, rates are rates and can be inserted in the tenancy agreement to be paid by either the landlord or tenant.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by delishpot: 7:39am On Oct 06, 2016
The landlord.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by erico2k2(m): 7:43am On Oct 06, 2016
oluagness:
1. we are planning to grade our street road. each house is to pay #5000. a building is occupied by a tenant, the tenant said his landlord is to pay the money.
who should be responsible for the payment?

2. Notting is working in our area, we have challenges on our transformer often and have to contribute for the maintenance. who should be responsible for this?
Landlord in both cases
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Rinato(m): 7:44am On Oct 06, 2016
celestialAgent:
what nonsense, will the tenant live there forever?

The tenant that is probably hustling hard to own a house, then you want him to spend on things that will favour him for a short time and favour the landlord on a long run..

It the job of the landlord apparently because he would not hesitate to increase the rent for the next tenant should the facilities be in place.

come to think of it, what if the tenant has no car?
I was reading the comments, Yours is the only one that made sense.

APPLAUSE for him he's a great man /\

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by delishpot: 7:49am On Oct 06, 2016
uboma:

You have valid points.

for road linkages, the Landlords should bear the cost.

however on the issue of electricity, water and security, the Tenants can bear the total cost if the Landlord does not live within the premises.

Not true. Landlord should bear full cost of all installation. Tenants can only pay extra for upgrades of already existing infrastructure. Like if a tenant decides that he wants to install DSTV instead of the general cable TV installed by the landlord for tenants.
Or if they decide to install new remote control gate instead of the manual one installed by the landlord.
Tenants can However pay the fee after discussing with the land lord how they would get back their money. Mostly through a reduction or even cancellation of rent for a certain length of time.
Land lord should know that grading road and maintainance of the area helps boost the marketability of their property.
In naija, who has money, property, job, is always the one dictating how the rest should live. And we have been living that way for so long, we the people have embraced it as truth.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by frugal(m): 7:49am On Oct 06, 2016
Gboliwe:
Both of them can split the cost. I was at one highbrow street the other day, looking for a house. So, the agent took me there. Fine houses, serene environment. I was excited until i learnt that most of the houses were unoccupied because that street has no light.

The transformer blew since August last year and most tenants felt NEPA demands were too much. As soon as they could, they moved away to another street/environment.

Now, the loss is on the landlords. Most tenants won't rent there.
Where is this?
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by eph12(m): 7:50am On Oct 06, 2016
AreaFada2:

Road grading is basically an annual thing. Done once the rains subside.
Transformer wahala is almost a monthly thing in many areas too. So they are hardly permanent in 9ja setting. Since the tenant's rent contract is not running out today or tomorrow, he has to pay. Remember the landlord is not govt either and has probably provided a borehole at his own cost.

But I for one will split the bill with the tenant. Because if I need to evict him he cannot be able to say he paid Road grading cost alone.
What about a tenant that's leaving in say 2 months time? What contribution is the landlord making for the community? But he can increase rent whenever he likes

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Nathan113: 7:50am On Oct 06, 2016
we can so deceive ourselves for Africa.i ask dis in a situatiin whr a landlord lives alone in his haus n no tenant who pays?in a situation whr landlord builds n doesnt liv thr n no tenant in any of d houses who pays?am i to pay development levy for a landlord cos dts wt its cald in most places.n wrn d light is fixed i nw pay bills again?Dos levy is based on per house arrangmnt dts y even if thr r no tenants an its light issue d landlords place cnt b connectd til he pays.gud acces road n light determines d rent.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by bobogee007(m): 7:56am On Oct 06, 2016
celestialAgent:

The tenant that is probably hustling hard to own a house, then you want him to spend on things that will favour him for a short time and favour the landlord on a long run..

It the job of the landlord apparently because he would not hesitate to increase the rent for the next tenant should the facilities be in place.

The graded road won't last forever as well since it is not tarred

Sometimes yr friend's that are mobile would complain of not coming to yr house cos of the bad road, who is losing?

A landlord might not reach his house within one year

The tenants should pay up for this
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by walozanga(m): 7:58am On Oct 06, 2016
as long as u are paying the landlord for wer u are staying then know it that u are the temporary owner of the place so who ever that is occupyin that space should pay. If the landlord is living there with u then u guys split the bill
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by SirGowon(m): 8:07am On Oct 06, 2016
IMO, the landlord stand to gain more than the tenant in the road construction because it adds value to his property. The landlord of the last house we packed from added 100k to his rent just because the road that leads to the house got tarred, by the government o and he took advantage of it. Tenant can bear the burden of the transformer tho.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Senorprinz(m): 8:19am On Oct 06, 2016
GodwyneDuke99:
Am Pretty sure you can't be hold to pay the cost of what a prostitute paid to treat herself because you slept with her thus you paid her for her service! Am not saying prostitution is proper or going for one but in like manner is the tennant and landlord! You pay to live in that house but not to pay for the regrading or road cost cause the land lord in qoute can quick notice you leave after you maintain his property just like how a prostitute can dump for another guy anytime! In one sense that does not mean you ain't gonna buy food or drinks perhaps stuff when you're with the prostitute before she redenders her service then leave likewise there are some minor things you can do while living in that rented house you live!
For those who are wise!
honorable chairman of olosho subscribers worldwide chapter, i hail o
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by sunnyside16(m): 8:24am On Oct 06, 2016
I am a tenant living temporarily in ur house which I may leave anytime so for such contribution its the landlord.

Take for instance, you lodge in a hotel for like a week, then they ask you to pay to fill a damaged portion on their road. The landlord collects money and guarantee his tenants ease of living to an extent.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by johnsonjosbles(m): 8:39am On Oct 06, 2016
DTOBS:
If the landlord is living in the same building with them,he will also make contribution and all other tenants will also do but If he is not living in the place with them, then he has not obligation to join them in the payment...
only correct post

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by ephi123(f): 8:46am On Oct 06, 2016
That is why there are tenancy agreements, it should state who is responsible for what.

Obviously this kind of amenity is supposed to be provided by the government. This country sha, citizens will provide water, provide light, provide security, now fix their own roads and we say we've got a government?! angry
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by celestialAgent(m): 9:00am On Oct 06, 2016
bobogee007:

The graded road won't last forever as well since it is not tarred

Sometimes yr friend's that are mobile would complain of not coming to yr house cos of the bad road, who is losing?

A landlord might not reach his house within one year

The tenants should pay up for this
Ever heard of tenant association in a community? No! it is always landlord association, and it is their general duty to see to such situations when the government is not functional.

The tenant has no issue with that.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by celestialAgent(m): 9:01am On Oct 06, 2016
alt3r3g0:

The grading of the road will preserve the sole of their shoes grin
hehehehehe, u got me there grin
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by AreaFada2: 9:01am On Oct 06, 2016
eph12:

What about a tenant that's leaving in say 2 months time? What contribution is the landlord making for the community? But he can increase rent whenever he likes

My dear, by the time you have built your house, maintained it & rent it out, you will understand it better. There are all manners of costs: roof defect, gate broken, tenants' kids smear walls, borehole pump defective, vigilante fee, etc.
A tenant left with over six months unpaid rent. He was allowed to pay 6 monthly instead of yearly because his family were same church members with relatives. He had to be evicted with a lawyer that cost nearly as much as the rent he did not pay. Double loss. Now how can such a person succeeded in building his own house? I don't even have to swear for him. That is reality out there. Many bad troublesome tenants. They'd rather engage in a legal battle instead of using the money to pay rent.

If he's leaving in two months & the road is graded next week, he will still have 1 month & 3 weeks to enjoy it. He can reasonably negotiate it with with his landlord. Landlord can then get part of it from the next tenant codedly.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by celestialAgent(m): 9:04am On Oct 06, 2016
uboma:

You have valid points.

for road linkages, the Landlords should bear the cost.

however on the issue of electricity, water and security, the Tenants can bear the total cost if the Landlord does not live within the premises.
well, you are right to some extent. but I disagree with the electricity part, it should be the duty of the landlord in cases where tenants pay landlords for maintenance.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by celestialAgent(m): 9:07am On Oct 06, 2016
[quote author=victme1 post=49956801][/quote]what happen to the maintenance fee paid to the landlord while paying the rent?

This is entirely the landlord's responsibility. Situations like this are discussed in landlords meeting, or have you ever heard of highly recognized Tenant association in a community?
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by celestialAgent(m): 9:09am On Oct 06, 2016
checkengine:

Gbam! Nigerian mentality @ the bold text.
It's the fact bro. In a standard environment, tenants do pay landlords maintenance fee. so it's the landlord's responsibility…
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by obidykeh20: 9:13am On Oct 06, 2016
I. Think it's the tenants responsibilities. However, if the Landlord take the bills, be sure that you will get a letter of rent increment which benefits the Landlord.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by olumosen(m): 9:41am On Oct 06, 2016
Whether the landlord stays in the house or not, the landlord is to be responsible for road grading because he is making money from the house and on the long run will increase his rent whether the existing tenant still lives in the house or not. But if it is electricity and the landlord is not living with the tenants, the tenants will be the one to suffer if they dont fix it, but if the landlord lives with them then they are to share the cost. MY OPINION THOUGH
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by adeadio1: 9:56am On Oct 06, 2016
celestialAgent:

thank you jare. The landlord is responsible, since rental agreement is the same with operating lease.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by iroc4eva: 10:00am On Oct 06, 2016
is this suppose to be an issue? this type of question could only come from some stingy, greedy n selfish tenants especially those ones that hardly pay their rents as n when due, as far as am concerned the progress n welfare of a community ie security, electricity, n road is de duty of all residents of that area, .. but building of drainages should be taken care of by the landlords. ...case closed
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Kobicove(m): 10:05am On Oct 06, 2016
In my opinion the landlord should bear this expense cos he stands to gain the most from capital appreciation which will result from development of the road undecided
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by zurad1: 10:10am On Oct 06, 2016
It is the duty of the Government to make life easier for the people by providing basic ammenities but where the Govt renege the people take over these duties so as not to suffer.
In this situation it is d duty of the tenant to pay for maintenance of infrastructure where the landlord is staying in a different location and does enjoy such facilities.
Where the landlord is staying together with the tenant the two of them have to share the contribution equally.
This is based on the fact that it is the house that was rented to the tenant and being paid for. The road or the transformers basically belong to the Govt. but it is the people who enjoy the use of the amenities that bear the brunt. That is Nigeria.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 06, 2016
Interesting.... make I go sleep
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by 4nobody4every1: 11:01am On Oct 06, 2016
anonimi:

Mostly, OUR fault as WE look on helplessly while the public servants collect OUR money for doing nothing.
Why are we such mumus

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3084794_DumbPeople_jpg287f2b4d3ead2f536f99f92cbca9c590
cool tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Plan Of My 6 Flat, 2 Bedroom Each. What Do U Think / My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! / Man Builds 3 Bedroom Bungalow For Widow In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.