Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? (29845 Views)

My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Eviction, The Tenant And The Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by bobogee007(m): 11:18am On Oct 06, 2016
celestialAgent:
Ever heard of tenant association in a community? No! it is always landlord association, and it is their general duty to see to such situations when the government is not functional.

The tenant has no issue with that.
And how many landlords shows up for the meeting,? It is the oldest tenant that reps them
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by celestialAgent(m): 12:14pm On Oct 06, 2016
bobogee007:

And how many landlords shows up for the meeting,? It is the oldest tenant that reps them
and ofcourse they relay the message to the landlord. The Old tenant don't just take up maintenance responsibility after he has paid maintenance fee in his rent except, of course if he/she is family to the landlord.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by rockyh(m): 1:21pm On Oct 06, 2016
checkengine:
Some of the issues that's bedevilled us as a people usually is as a result of disunity and apathy. My Igbo blood thought me that, "Where one is sheltered, he protects the roof from leaking for he will be the one to suffer when it rains".

The tenant(s) should be responsible for the contribution. If however they are lucky the landlord is in the same house with them, he should bear the lion share of the contribution. The light, good road and security within a community is enjoyed by the people resident there so what is the landlord's business if he doesn't stay there?

My take on the matter sha.
you just nailed it cos the person who enjoys the immediate benefits happens to be the Tenants so the should bear the cost. A good example is the security issue with u say cos the huz bin secured belongs to the landlord so u won't pay
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by rockyh(m): 1:23pm On Oct 06, 2016
BobUg28:
It's the responsibility of the tenants to contribute money to grade the road. But if I'm in the landlord's shoes and you(the tenants) forced me to pay the money, I don't mind increasing your house rents which may not be cost effective and I will also gain it on a long run.
that's the simple truth behind such kind of tenants
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by rockyh(m): 1:30pm On Oct 06, 2016
[quote author=sunnyside16 post=49959225]I am a tenant living temporarily in ur house which I may leave anytime so for such contribution its the landlord.

Take for instance, you lodge in a hotel for like a week, then they ask you to pay to fill a damaged portion on their road. The landlord collects money and guarantee his tenants ease of living to an extent.[/quote do u realize that a hotel is more expensive than a huz
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by histemple: 2:49pm On Oct 06, 2016
Neither the landlords not the tenants should ordinarily pay for any of the two services. Both of them don't even have the right to work on the road except they have been so authorized by the government.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 06, 2016
Tenant is responisble for electricity (transformer) and landlord responsible for road repair or modernisation

but wait o! WHAT ARE THE GOVERNMENTS DOING? IS IT NOT THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES TO PROVIDE BASIC NEEDS FOR THE CITIZENS?
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Franky9584(m): 4:01pm On Oct 06, 2016
the 2question has different answers,
1). the grading of the street z a plus to d asset(building) because that will allow for the easy accessibility which will in turn increase d asset price in near future.
2). as for d light, its d duty of occupants to see to that because they they are d ones using it less they stop using it
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 06, 2016
urgent buyer for two plots of land measuring 648msq. at treasure parks and gardens (golf & estate)phase 1 ext.,shimawa,behind redemption camp,off lagos-ibadan express road.currently been sold at 4,000,000 per plot by adron homes properties and estimated to sell for 6,000,000 before year end.each plot is going for a discounted rate of 2.5M per plot for any interested person.title doc available are,a duly executed purchase receipt,deed of contract,deed of lease/deed of assignment,survey plan,letter of plot allocation,land covered with global certificate of occupancy.price negotiable!
HURRY call/whatsapp 08034637732
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by omofela85(m): 4:27pm On Oct 06, 2016
NickDirect:

Lol... If I was in charge of the road repair I will ensure you there not pass that road again and just remain in the compound you paid rent for.
and what're the tax meant for
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by omofela85(m): 4:38pm On Oct 06, 2016
my landlady lives in the same compound with me. she once told all the tenants to contribute for the slab that will be on the gutter, h don't know if i will cut my own share if i'm living her house.
she said she want's to repair a small gate that the remaining tenants (bq) are using than we all should pay but sisi i no drop.
lawma bill is not shared on the number(s) of rooms used by tenant instead it's flat rate. a room pays the same amount as that of 3 rooms.
what's your take on that
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by HolySteph(f): 4:57pm On Oct 06, 2016
celestialAgent:
what nonsense, will the tenant live there forever?

The tenant that is probably hustling hard to own a house, then you want him to spend on things that will favour him for a short time and favour the landlord on a long run..

It the job of the landlord apparently because he would not hesitate to increase the rent for the next tenant should the facilities be in place.

come to think of it, what if the tenant has no car?
I wonder o!

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by bobogee007(m): 5:17pm On Oct 06, 2016
celestialAgent:
and ofcourse they relay the message to the landlord. The Old tenant don't just take up maintenance responsibility after he has paid maintenance fee in his rent except, of course if he/she is family to the landlord.

And u feel the landlord that comes once in a year will come and pay for that. How many landlords will tell you u ve paid maintenance fee, we aren't talking about lekki phases here
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by DTOBS(m): 5:48pm On Oct 06, 2016
johnsonjosbles:
only correct post
Lol... Thanks
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by celestialAgent(m): 6:16pm On Oct 06, 2016
bobogee007:

And u feel the landlord that comes once in a year will come and pay for that. How many landlords will tell you u ve paid maintenance fee, we aren't talking about lekki phases here
well, u av ur point, I have my point.

let's just hope our government get revitalized soon so we don't have to discuss such again. Because truth be told, it the job of the local government officials.

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by basadenet: 7:36pm On Oct 06, 2016
Both are responsible, same happens in my area.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by bobogee007(m): 8:03pm On Oct 06, 2016
celestialAgent:
well, u av ur point, I have my point.

let's just hope our government get revitalized soon so we don't have to discuss such again. Because truth be told, it the job of the local government officials.

Yup. I concur
One love bro

1 Like

Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by Nobody: 1:44am On Oct 07, 2016
Your local govt is responsible,i just dnt know why Nigerians dnt hold this theives for their responsibilities,its your right to march to them to do it,and if they dnt,all of you should contribute money and get a good lawyer to sue them to court,by the time you act like this,others that are exploited like you will wake up and follow suit,and it will bring a change of doing things in the Local govt,they will carry out their duties intead of just collecting salary and doing nothing.
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by oluagness(m): 5:27am On Oct 07, 2016
nymphomaniac:
What does the tenancy agreement say? What state are u?. Covenant to pay rates may be inserted in the agreement to favor either the landlord or tenant or may be implied by law depending on the state.

I don't know much about tenancy agreement.
I am in Ondo state
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by oluagness(m): 1:03pm On Oct 07, 2016
lordyugo:

first of all neither should pay cos dats d govts job.
in a tenancy agreement u hv implied and express convenants.
implied convenants are agreements the court will hold against d party who broke d convenant irrespective of whether it ws expressly stated e.g its implied dat a tenant should pay rent or implied dat a landlord should provide a habitable accommodation etc
Express convenants needs to be expressly stated before any party can be in breach e g tarring of roads, dr must be an express agreement to that in a case dr is none no party should be held liable.
so the landlord nd d tenant need to reach an agreement on how it should be done

thank you
I can deduce that both of them have to contribute
Re: Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This? by lordyugo: 9:35pm On Oct 07, 2016
oluagness:

thank you
I can deduce that both of them have to contribute

thats if both parties are reasonable,remember both also hv d right to refuse too and wont be in the wrong but for d sake of gud landlord/tenant rshp both need to come to an agreement favorable to both parties

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Plan Of My 6 Flat, 2 Bedroom Each. What Do U Think / My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! / Man Builds 3 Bedroom Bungalow For Widow In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.