Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! (29876 Views)

Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise / My Landlord Just Acted What I See In Movies To My Face / My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out - Assistance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by sodconfirm: 11:54pm On Mar 16, 2016
Hello NLs

I type this message with a very confused and worried heart because i don't know what to do next, I had financial challenges after losing my job in 2008, I had to cut down on my living so i moved from my 2 bedroom flat in Ifako Ijaye to a room and parlor house off AIT road, Alagbado, I am married with 2 kids and we live together here, we are the last of 5 tenants, my second year rent just ended February 2016 ( Last month), I owe no house rent nor electricity bill nor lawma bills.

I was able to manage my home with my farm management job. My landlord arrived by late January from London, Uk where he is based and said i should not bother paying this year's rent that we should all pack out of the house, He said some two tenants who have been in the house for many years owes him money and they also don't pay bills, he wants to send everyone packing and he gave us just 5 DAYS to move, I explained to him that i have not gathered enough money to rent new place, He said he will refund a year rent for me which is 60k (5k monthly for the 2 rooms). I was satisfied because i had about N50,000 in my account and i have been planning to move out of this out because i am not recording any progress since i moved in. I believe i could get another place with that amount. He did not promise the others any help before he left.

The two oldest tenant that have stayed for about 7 years told us after he left that he will still come back to collect the rent, that is his usual method whenever he comes around. He has been telling them to vacate the house since first year they moved in, To cut the story short, I started looking for a place and i got a place, I called him for the 60k promise to add to what i have to pay the rent. He started posting me until i got tired of calling him only for him to surface again on Sunday 13th of March after a month plus with a bricklayer, they started blocking the back door with bricks, he said everyone must move out, after much pleading, he blocked off the two old tenants while they hurriedly move out their belongings, their belongings still litter around the compound, he blocked off the toilet bath and kitchen and he brought an electrician to disconnect the light.

We are now left in darkness with no bathroom toilet and kitchen. He said he is coming back again for the rest of us by Friday 18th of March with OPC to move us out. I pleaded with him that i have gotten a new place that he should give me the money he promised so i can pay for the place and move in there before friday. He said NO, he insisted that i will have to pack my properties outside first before he can give me the money. The people who live on the same street with us started coming in with different stories of how the man has ejected tenants in the past, How he sometimes bring in Nigerian Army to throw people out, How he is heavily charmed, How he has placed charms on the four corners of the house and people started dying until they moved out, Although i don't believe that any evil power can overcome me, i am not afraid of charms because i serve a living God. They said that is how he usually promise people he thinks can resist him and he will suddenly storm the house and move them out. They were telling me with assurance that he will not give me a dime. I am concerned about him coming with who ever he has in his plan to throw my belongings out when i don't have anywhere to go or money to get another place. I do not owe this man any rent, I still have the teller i used to pay the last rent into his account. He has not served me any letter or quit notice.

Please mods i plead with you to help me move this to front-page so i can get advice and possible help. I don't know exactly where to post this but please help me move it to the right session. I need to act fast before he comes in 2 days (Friday). I am planning to tweet this link to as many people as possible. I will appreciate all the help and advise i can get, I can't imagine to be homeless with my family.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Nobody: 12:05am On Mar 17, 2016
. .
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by ptaller(m): 12:13am On Mar 17, 2016
Bro! This is serious, I pray nothing bad happens to you and your family. But you have to go to the office of the Lagos State public deffender, or Mediation center, you can google either of the offices coz I don't know if there is any close to you. But this has to be done first thing 2moro and explain to them the urgency attached.

One other thing, irrespective of whatever happens, try and get a camera pen and place it somewhere save and good, so when he comes you can use it to record whatever happens and it could be the only evidence you might use to nail the wicked landlord at the end of the day.

Please ignore any typo error. I wish all the best bro.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Opeoluwaadewole: 2:37am On Mar 17, 2016
If your landlord said you live ,live but you have money to get apartment,sometime tennant dont encourage their landlord.they like to cause unnecessary trouble tennant they misbehave.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by dominique(f): 5:49am On Mar 17, 2016
Sorry op, that's landlord for you. They can wake up one morning and decide to evict every single one of their tenants. It was very wrong of your landlord to promise you your refund when he knew he was not going to. Truth be told, you are not eligible for any refund as you have exhausted your rent. Try and secure a soft loan so you can get another place. May God provide for your family.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by nysot(f): 6:02am On Mar 17, 2016
Opeoluwaadewole:
sometime tennant dont encourage their landlord.they like to cause unnecessary trouble tennant they misbehave.
You have spoken well bro.
It might be the other tenants that got this man angry to be doing all this.
Op,I pray God provides for you to pay for a new house and don't be surprised if the man later allows you to stay when the other tenants are out.
Some of these tenants can make one mad at times

6 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by drkay(m): 6:32am On Mar 17, 2016
Pls do everything you can to move out today, don't dispute every gist you hear about him, had it been that you are still single, I'll have advised that you fight for your right since the Lagos state govt is doing its best in enforcing tenancy protection laws but you are married. Your responsibility as a father is to ensure that your wife and kids are safe. As it is, you can't predict his next line of action. Pls move your family to a safe place today: close friend, families, church members and even your pastor can be of help. Then, spend this weekend in looking for a decent room apartment in that neighborhood, it shouldn't be more than 50k. It's not advisable to take loan for rent, once your rent is more than 30%of your income, it becomes housing stress. some landlords think with their ass.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by sodconfirm: 9:48am On Mar 17, 2016
I appreciate all your contributions, He is only using the other tenants as excuse to throw us all out, people who have been on this street for long told us that is his usual routine especially when he needs money. I will work on the public defender thing and post all feedbacks here. Please I need more suggestions. It's Thursday already and he is coming tomorrow Friday. I still have not taken any concrete decision

Edited - In Addition

I got the number of the C.P Lagos State Fatai Owoseni. He declared to me that i should go to court, He said the police does not have the right to stop my landlord from forcefully ejecting me. I explained to him that i need protection from the police while we initiate a court process, He said the police can not stop my landlord from throwing me out, I replied him that but it's illegal and we don't have where to go with our belongings, he repeated his earlier statement again, I had to thank him and hang up. To some people suggesting Legal action, I do not have a lawyer or the money to buy the services of one and i do not have the complete money to rent a place around. I will prefer if i can get a loan with a longer time to pay back so i can get a place and move my family because my parents are late and my siblings depend on me for survival. The only person my wife has is her aged mother who also depends and lives with us. Most people are advising me to move out for the safety of my family which i agree with. If i can get a loan or possible donation, I will be very grateful. Some Nairalanders can come to verify my address and the situation. God bless Nairalanders. I have a family in you.

9 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by olaniyanblog: 11:11am On Mar 17, 2016
omo hustle and settle him. goodluck on your hustle
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by adonbilivit: 11:12am On Mar 17, 2016
chai! u go be landlord in less than ten years. He has no right to throw u out without like 6 months prior notice, the fact that u don't owe him makes it sound funny. my advice is that u sue his ass, but be sure to be prayerful if u must take him to court since u said he is diabolical. u know say court of law no dey judge spiritual matters

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Booty4me: 11:12am On Mar 17, 2016
Landlord and their wahala.. That how one landlord serve everyone quite notice unexpectedly on grounds that he want to sell the house. Though he gave us almost a year to pack out. Op you have right to at least 6month grace . no landlord can just wake up and eveict everyone just like that.. No quit notice

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 11:14am On Mar 17, 2016
Sorry ooo..
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by macaranta(m): 11:14am On Mar 17, 2016
Do you want to fight him with your whole family?Move your family to a relative's for the Main time while you negotiate 6-months rent with a better landlord explaining your current predicament.
Sometimes when God tries to move you out of a barren land,don't fight it.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by omusiliyu(m): 11:15am On Mar 17, 2016
This can only happen during Babu regime.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Pavore9: 11:16am On Mar 17, 2016
This is tight.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Sasuwa(f): 11:17am On Mar 17, 2016
Today is my birthday , let me get some likes pls

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 17, 2016
How about we all cometogether contribute and help tgis guy out

Someone has to go confirm this story first....

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by dastudent(m): 11:18am On Mar 17, 2016
Get a lawyer. You are allowed to stay in the house for at least six months after you get an ejection notice. If he forces you out, i think you have a right to sue...Not sure if it's sue though.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Critiqual(m): 11:18am On Mar 17, 2016
Na wa o... No law for this country again?!
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by lonelydora: 11:18am On Mar 17, 2016
Na wa
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Teespice(f): 11:20am On Mar 17, 2016
first of all you are a yearly tenant which means that your landlord going by the provisions of the tenancy laws of lagos state is meant to give you six months notice. he ran foul of that when he gave you five days notice. you are not a weekly tenant na. weekly tenants even get seven days notice.

him resorting to self help by threatening to call OPC as well as blocking certain areas of the house with brick is trespass on your landlords part. you can sue him for damages. a tenant has certain rights one of which is freedom from unreasonable disturbances and right to privacy as well as the right to use and enjoy the common areas of the house which in this case is the back door.

he has no right to disconnect your electricity nor your water supply. it is a clear breach of his obligations as a landlord.

you have a good case against him.

hope this helps. cheers.

23 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by allanphash7(m): 11:21am On Mar 17, 2016
Kid
paulsconnect:
He wants to throw you out ?... Throw him in na

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by MadCow1: 11:24am On Mar 17, 2016
Wetin you do?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by mysteriousman(m): 11:24am On Mar 17, 2016
Did he give you any written notice to vacate the house 6 months before the expiration of your rent? If he didn't then take the matter to court. That will buy you time or you can plead with him any option you fit choose

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by bettercreature(m): 11:25am On Mar 17, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Please leave his house beside you have no right to ask him the money he promised you

I have some very stubborn tenants as well so i know the pains your landlord is going through

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by tuzle(m): 11:25am On Mar 17, 2016
a
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by gmacnoms(m): 11:25am On Mar 17, 2016
Sasuwa:
Today is my birthday , let me get some likes pls
and what do u intend doing with d likes

27 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by donholy28(m): 11:25am On Mar 17, 2016
well its his house...u don't have any option than to look for somewhere else
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Nobody: 11:26am On Mar 17, 2016
angry
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by kennyman2000(m): 11:26am On Mar 17, 2016
Hmmmmm

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Builds 3 Bedroom Bungalow For Widow In Anambra / New 4 Bedroom Duplex with Swimming Pool Construction - Calabar Project / Why Do Tenants Always Prefer Packing Out At Night?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.