Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Reliable Nigeria Web Host - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Reliable Nigeria Web Host (2101 Views)

Urgently In Need Of A Reliable Nigeria Webhost / Advice Needed: Is Whogohost.com The Best Nigeria Web Hosting Provider / Trudigits: My Best Nigerian Web Host Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reliable Nigeria Web Host by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 19, 2009
I am looking for a reliable nigeria web host. The web host i am currently with now is not reliable at all. It usually goes offline quiet often. Please if you know any, please connect me.
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by lagoshost(m): 11:44am On Oct 19, 2009
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by Afam(m): 11:54am On Oct 19, 2009
Undertsanding Web Hosting

Posted by abcn on 2007-07-28 03:59:00 PM

Websites are made up of web pages that could contain text, graphics, audio or video. But these files that make up the website must be hosted or housed somewhere and that somewhere is a web server.

It is from this web server that different computers from different parts of the world can access your web pages as long as both the web server and the clients (personal computers) are online.

Any arrangement that is made to provide features for your web pages on any web server is what s commonly known as web hosting.

A typical configuration for web hosting comes like this
Disk space – 10MB
Bandwidth – 5GB
Email – 3 POP email accounts

Then features like
Support for php, mysql, access, asp, perl, python
FTP, Shell, Frontpage server extension or dreamweaver
Well, let us break these technical jargons down.

The disk space simply tells you the amount of space that your website is allowed to make use of on any web server that it is hosted on. Generally, text consumes less disk space when compared to graphics or audio and video. So, depending on what you want to achieve with your website you select a web hosting package that will be enough for those files that will eventually make up your website.

The bandwidth takes care of the quantity of data that is allowed to move from your web server to all computers that may choose to visit your website. It is based on a monthly quota. An example will help explain this further, let us say Mr A has a website with a lot of text and few graphics whereas Mr B has a website with a lot of graphics and even video on his website. Let us also assume that the two websites are hosted on a web server with similar hosting features especially the bandwidth.

Mr B’s website is most likely to run out of bandwidth when compared to Mr A’s website assuming the same number of people visit the two websites. Since bandwidths are based on monthly quotas, once you run out of bandwidth even if it is the first week of any month, your website will be shut down until the next month or until you upgrade to a higher web hosting plan with more bandwidth allocation.

The email is what almost everyone that has visited yahoo must have heard about. Our example web hosting plan simply tells you that you will have up to 5 email accounts attached to your domain like info@yourdomain.comThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it, chairman@yourdomain.comThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it etc. Even if a web hosting provider promises unlimited email addresses, just remember that on that particular server you have a stipulated disk space to make use of unless you are ok with say 300 email addresses with the quota large enough to handle just 2 or 3 email transactions and nothing more.

Php, Perl, Asp, Python are all programming languages that your web designer or better put your web programmer may make use of while putting your website together. Mysql or Access are simply databases your web developer may use in building a database driven website for your business.

FTP is simply a protocol that allows you to remotely connect to your web server to transfers files to or from it. Frontpage and Dreamweaver are tools that are used to build websites very quickly and web hosting plans that support the extensions make life easy for you because you can have them installed on your office or home pc and then design your web pages yourself and transfer to the web hosting server.
You may say all these features, acronyms and technical jargons do not concern you as a business owner. I won’t advice you to think in that direction because sooner than later you will realize that you need to understand these things if you ever hope to negotiate favourably for your website project. In any case you are the one spending the money and not the web developer, so naturally it should concern you.

Expensive versus cheap web hosting

Honestly what prompted me to write this piece is the constant question that all my prospective clients have asked me when discussing website development for their businesses. It goes like this; "I have seen some websites you have set up and would like you to set up one for my business but why are the web hosting plans on your website expensive?”

I will also provide the same response here and from now on refer such questions to this article on the website instead of spending time answering the same questions over and over again.

A web server (software program like IIS or Apache) resides in a computer and serves web pages to client computers that request web pages from the web server (hence the name web server).
Any hard disk or group of hard disks could make up the total available disk space on that computer. The total disk space could be used solely for the web server or could be shared with other applications like a database server or email server.

Let us say for example we have 100GB disk space available for a web server. This web hosting arrangement could provide hosting for 200, 500, 10,000 or 50,000 websites.

Let us analyse the possblities
For 200 websites, each website could easily have 500MB disk space available to it.
For 500 websites, each website could easily have 200MB disk space available to it.
For 10,000 websites, each website could easily have 10MB disk space available to it.
For 50,000 websites, each website could easily have 2MB disk space available to it.

Put differently, you could host any number of websites on any web server configuration as a service provider but those that bear the brunt of such maximum carving out of disk space to maximize profits are the customers or the website owners. So, which do you prefer, to have your website comfortably hosted on a web server that will always have the resources available for your website or to allow your website fight for resources with about 50,000 websites?
If you have ever visited a website and instead of seeing the page you are looking for, you see “the website you are trying to reach cannot be found on the internet or is not available’, then I have just told you why such messages come up.

Remember that each unique website will have its’ own unique set of visitors and all these activities are on a single machine or web server. Properly set up web servers will simply stop and restart itself when all the resources are used or when the server is too busy to handle additional requests. This built in functionality (stopping and restarting) prevents the server from crashing and it is the period this stopping and restarting process takes place that the same website you visited just some couple of minutes ago could not be found on the internet.

So, it boils down to what you want as a business owner bearing in mind that you get what you pay for.

I hope this short piece has helped to arm you with relevant information that will guide you in making the best decision as far as web hosting is concerned for your website.

I guess the article above though written over 4 years ago touches on some of the reasons why you may have been having problems with your present host.
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by rufaai(m): 11:28pm On Oct 19, 2009
Is their any better hosting in Nigeria than AimtechNG.Com lolz wink

Well, you can host your website(s) with http://aimtechng.com and
enjoy reliable service with the best customer support.

Aimtech has everything you need to put up single or multiple websites
and manage them effectively. Over 300 Nigerians prefer aimtechng.com
since 2007 to date.

Read This:
http://blog.aimtechng.com/2009/10/flexibility-of-hosting-with-aimtech-ng.html
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 22, 2009
i still need options.
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by DualCore1: 7:53pm On Oct 22, 2009
trudigits(dot)com smiley
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by abhosts(m): 8:54pm On Oct 22, 2009
bigmodo:

i still need options.

You can choose from this list:

http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/NG
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by emaginate: 1:18pm On Oct 27, 2009
how come these host companies don't allow you to pay for their services via interswitch??
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by rufaai(m): 12:37am On Oct 28, 2009
@Emaginate: Because Internswitch isn't making it easy for merchants. First is expensive (N150,000) and second its not efficient, not all cards can be used. UBA, Interontinental Bank, GTBank, Oceanic Bank cards cannot be used!!
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by DualCore1: 8:37am On Oct 29, 2009
rufaai:

@Emaginate: Because Internswitch isn't making it easy for merchants. First is expensive (N150,000) and second its not efficient, not all cards can be used. UBA, Interontinental Bank, GTBank, Oceanic Bank cards cannot be used!!
oi waiter, a bottle of beer for this dude, on me

Some cards dont work for some merchants and work for others. My cards work on some "trusted" sites and get rejected some place else. Upon the crazy 150k, they still take commission on each transaction.
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by hostmot(f): 9:20pm On Oct 29, 2009
Concerning Interswitch,

They also blast "never send your pin" adverts on Adsense and Facebook in the hope stemming down the effect of ATM spam email. The end result is that users will get unnecessarily jittery and won't make payments on your site (they will start thinking its another forged site.)

Sometimes, I wonder the kind of people they hire at these kind of companies. All they need to is send a representative to Yahoo and tell them to filter out the generic titles of the ATM spam emails like they filter out emails with titles like "Acai trial" or "Hot girl wants to chat with you".

@poster
Read reviews, ask questions. Good luck with your search.

Olawunmi,
Hostmot Sales Rep., (www.hostmot.com)
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by rufaai(m): 10:52pm On Oct 29, 2009
@Dual Core: I don't know about transaction charges, we've not signed up yet but i think they exist too. Presently, we have built our ATM Payment gateway; which is still on the test on our locals for http://aimtechng.com

If worked fine, we'd skip Interswitch and link with our bank. wink

We are building this payment gateway from scratch and also unique for our system only. Sooooon, our clients may have the freedom of ATM payment depending on "if all loop holes are cleared and bank accepts to link up with us". Security measures are also a prior concern, so it may take a while.

But I've been using it on a test-mode and it works perfect for me, just a virtual thing though.
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by webpest(m): 2:08am On Oct 30, 2009
try KITS, so reliable and good customer support
www.kits-ng.com
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by padox: 12:00pm On Jun 01, 2011
Try using EragonsHost they are reliable. having affordable shared hosting and reseller hosting.

Custom plans are available too @ www.eragonshost.net
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by nd1: 10:44pm On Jun 08, 2011
I use www.utiware.net you can make payment with Interswitch ATM Card, CashCard, Verve, and Naira MasterCard Online Payment.(Instant Activation )
if can pay directly at their bank (UBA or GTBank Bank Transfer Deposit, Cash or Cheque). All order are activated same day after payment is verified.
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by dejioke1(m): 1:23am On Jun 09, 2011
UNLIMITED HOSTING (2,500 NAIRA PER YEAR ) + FREE DOMAIN
http://9jahoster.com
9jahoster.com offers web hosting with unlimted space, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited email, cpanel and more benefits for just N2,500/year contact the following channels
WEB http://9jahoster.com
EMAIL support@9jahoster.com
PHONE 07067458707, 08091820866
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by james85: 12:42pm On Feb 14, 2012
Sometime it happens we choose a hosting provider for our website, which all services are not required by our website. Also have knowledge about hosting prices because it varies according to the kind of hosting. Top SaaS Companies
Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by pmictltd(m): 2:20pm On Dec 28, 2013
Give www.philmorehost.com a try
And your problem will be solved
Uptime Guaranteed

Latest Offer
Buy any of our Web Hosting Service and get 20% Discount
www.philmorehost.com
Use this Promo Code: 3U8P8BDNY1
Promo End Soon!

PhilmoreHost.com - PhilmoreHosts Reliable Web Hosting keeps your website up and running.
PhilmoreHost is a leading provider of web hosting, reseller hosting, and cloud servers. Over 2000 websites trust PhilmoreHost for their web hosting needs.

Re: Reliable Nigeria Web Host by bellybelly: 6:44am On Aug 22, 2014
bigmodo: I am looking for a reliable nigeria web host. The web host i am currently with now is not reliable at all. It usually goes offline quiet often. Please if you know any, please connect me.

Nowadays there are lot of hosting providers who offer cheap and fast service.
In the same way,I would suggest you to visit 9CubeHosting.com .Here they have six types of Linux based hosting plans.All plans includes special kind of features.Recently i hosted my own site using this service.I never had any problem with their services.So only i recommend this one. I hope it will be very useful to you.

(1) (Reply)

Place Your Woocommerce Site Or Affiliate Marketing Site For Review And Backlinks / Top 5 Website Design Companies In Nigeria / Top 10 + 1 Nigerian Blogs To Watch In 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.