Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (185) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (803035 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) ... (1072) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 1:48am On Jun 13, 2021
AkinDS:
I don't think Okobi can hold a candle to Payne...She is not in Payne's class.
The problem I see is trying to replace an aging Chikwelu (slow and getting old) and Halimat (torn ACL, as you stated). We need to start looking for credible replacements for both players. Chikwelu kept getting dominated in the midfield by the white Jamaican girl. She really made Rita look old and outdated on Thursday.

You are definitely right on this. Payne has a much better ability to influence a match than Okobi- Fact. Infact, she is better in a lot of ways. One would expect that, since after 2015 world cup to this time Okobi would have greatly improved, but that does not seem to be the case. At club level, she is not even a regular. Is it at Payne's club she could have tied down a permanent spot? Payne, on the other hand, is 'everything' for her club.

I really like Okobi, because of the potentials she used to display, but, at this point I am a bit disappointed.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 1:52am On Jun 13, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
I don't think so. Okobi is good with through passes oh. I remember watching her at Afcon and the World Cup.

Sorry at this, World cup is a long time ago.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 1:56am On Jun 13, 2021
enomakos:
uchenna is still head above all the rest strikers we have currently

This statement is highly debatable. Infact, totally object to it.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 2:11am On Jun 13, 2021
AkinDS:
Don't trust Okeke either - her decision making was rather poor against the Jamaicans and she no get speed.
I would rather have Nicole Payne there. She get pace and often plays as a left back for WVU.
May be a baptism of fire for her, but she seems confident when she came in as rightback on Thursday.

BTW, any word on Tosin Demehin?
Her ankle twist looked bad when it happened during the game. Hope she is better and still able to play.

As for Okeke, it's clear she has not learned much despite playing for Madrid for sometime now. Little wonder she is always on the bench, she needs to improve massively. Rita Chikwelu is another player who's been disappointing. Despite all her experience, she completely fails to impress at times. She's even too lethargic for my liking, I guess her days are numbered.

Central midfield position, it seems, is going to cause a lot of headache, as I see no player who can play to Ayinde's strength, especially with the homebased being so disappointing. Old Chikwelu, too, seems not to have a replacement... As for Portugal game, if a serious change is not made to that defense, a disaster is waiting to happen.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Banuso99: 6:09am On Jun 13, 2021
Roosa Ariyo clocks 27 today.
Happy birthday!

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 8:24am On Jun 13, 2021
daveP:

Okeke will continue at RB. Ohale and Captain Onome will still be the best pairing until we see how one does well with Zogg, preferably, Ebi.

This ZOGG you're seeing plays multiple positions for Zurich FC too..
She's naturally a Center Back but can play as a Right back too and on few occasions this season i watch her play as a Forward from the right side... She Scored about 4 goals this season..

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:01am On Jun 13, 2021
daveP:

Ebi is as fit as fiddle.

She never stopped training even when clubless. But definitely, replacements should be an important aspect right now, especially for Rita. A new 10 needed. Who's going to fit asap?

If the Nigerian Women Premier League Center Backs were good enough, with the little minutes and training they get in the Superfalcons, we would have spotted one long ago, and they would have been given Onome Ebi a tough time at that position but still yet known of them are yet to dispose her from that no.5...

We should be Lucky we have found Ashleigh Plumptre, the 23yrs old Left Footed Leicester City center Back...The USC Trojans women's soccer team (University of Southern California) graduate is highly Professional, she knows the basis of the game after playing in the University for 4yrs in the USA, she even had a stint with Birmingham FC in the WSL before moving to the US in 2016..

She's highly favored to replace Onome Ebi, standing at Height
5 ft 11 in (1.80 m), uses both feets but her dominant foot is the Left, excellent tackles, Dominant in the Air. Her game reading abilities are top notch, I personally watched Leicester City Women Football Club game's all because of her and with what I see, Non of the Home based can beat her to that Spot..

She have got National Team experience, playing over 35games for England from U15, U17, U20, to the U23 level..

The last time, I spoke with her Dad which was around May, he said the England Senior Women National Team are keeping track with her Daughter but they already made up their mind for Ashleigh to Play for Nigeria even their Family Lawyer and Leicester City coach wants her to Play for her Fatherland... So there is no going back as Coach Randy Waldrum already discussed with the NFF on the possibilities of her FIFA Nationality Switch from England to Nigeria..

Hopefully if the NFF are quick enough with the process, we would be having her by September for the 6 Nations Tournament in Lagos featuring (Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, South Africa, Mali and Morocco)

IF THERE'S ANY OTHER YOUNG CENTER BACK THAT CAN BEAT ASHLEIGH TO THAT NO.5 SPOT BRING IT ON LET'S SEE...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:20am On Jun 13, 2021
BascoVanVeli:
Vivian Ikechukwu from Rivers Angels should be given a look in one of these friendly matches. I think she has what it takes to become a special player.

Dang 3 years later and she finally got her call. I knew there was something familiar about her.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:26am On Jun 13, 2021
Plumptre has represented England at under-15, under-17, under-19 and under-23 level including at two tournaments: the 2014 and 2015 UEFA Women's Under-17 Championship. Predominantly a forward or attacking midfielder at youth level, she scored twice during a 9–0 win over Moldova in the 2015 UEFA Women's Under-17 Championship qualifying round. In 2016, 17-year-old Plumptre was the youngest player named to the under-23 team for the 2016 La Manga Tournament. She made a combined 30 appearances at youth level, scoring 10 goals.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:29am On Jun 13, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Dang 3 years later and she finally got her call. I knew there was something familiar about her.

Not 3 years, more than..

She and the likes of Kanu, Ihezuo, Goalkeeper Okeke and Aminat Yakubu are thesame set from the youth level..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:34am On Jun 13, 2021
In December 2019, Plumptre elected to forgo the 2020 NWSL College Draft coming out of college despite projecting as a late-first round or early-second round pick and instead returned to England, rejoining hometown club Leicester City in the FA Women's Championship. The Foxes had reportedly also beaten FA WSL competition to her signature. She made her senior Leicester City debut on 19 January 2020, registering an assist on an Ella Rutherford goal in a 3–1 win over Crystal Palace. Plumptre's debut season with Leicester was limited to three league appearances as the season was curtailed as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Leicester were awarded sixth-place on a points-per-game basis.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:49am On Jun 13, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

Not 3 years, more than..

She and the likes of Kanu, Ihezuo, Goalkeeper Okeke and Aminat Yakubu are thesame set from the youth level..

I was talking about my post. I made it about 3 years ago
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:49am On Jun 13, 2021
Good News....

Asisat Oshoala and Onome Ebi finally arrived Superfalcon Camp...

Will the Coach risk starting them this Night against Portugal or wait till the game against the US??

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:50am On Jun 13, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

I was talking about my post. I made it about 3 years ago

Oh great, didn't notice

Thank you �
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 1:26pm On Jun 13, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

If the Nigerian Women Premier League Center Backs were good enough, with the little minutes and training they get in the Superfalcons, we would have spotted one long ago, and they would have been given Onome Ebi a tough time at that position but still yet known of them are yet to dispose her from that no.5...

We should be Lucky we have found Ashleigh Plumptre, the 23yrs old Left Footed Leicester City center Back...The USC Trojans women's soccer team (University of Southern California) graduate is highly Professional, she knows the basis of the game after playing in the University for 4yrs in the USA, she even had a stint with Birmingham FC in the WSL before moving to the US in 2016..

She's highly favored to replace Onome Ebi, standing at Height
5 ft 11 in (1.80 m), uses both feets but her dominant foot is the Left, excellent tackles, Dominant in the Air. Her game reading abilities are top notch, I personally watched Leicester City Women Football Club game's all because of her and with what I see, Non of the Home based can beat her to that Spot..

She have got National Team experience, playing over 35games for England from U15, U17, U20, to the U23 level..

The last time, I spoke with her Dad which was around May, he said the England Senior Women National Team are keeping track with her Daughter but they already made up their mind for Ashleigh to Play for Nigeria even their Family Lawyer and Leicester City coach wants her to Play for her Fatherland... So there is no going back as Coach Randy Waldrum already discussed with the NFF on the possibilities of her FIFA Nationality Switch from England to Nigeria..

Hopefully if the NFF are quick enough with the process, we would be having her by September for the 6 Nations Tournament in Lagos featuring (Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, South Africa, Mali and Morocco)

IF THERE'S ANY OTHER YOUNG CENTER BACK THAT CAN BEAT ASHLEIGH TO THAT NO.5 SPOT BRING IT ON LET'S SEE...

Well Analysed and delivered!!

How many new players to the SF as a whole now?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

This ZOGG you're seeing plays multiple positions for Zurich FC too..
She's naturally a Center Back but can play as a Right back too and on few occasions this season i watch her play as a Forward from the right side... She Scored about 4 goals this season..
wow. This AWcon will be sweet

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 1:45pm On Jun 13, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
Good News....

Asisat Oshoala and Onome Ebi finally arrived Superfalcon Camp...

Will the Coach risk starting them this Night against Portugal or wait till the game against the US??
They should start if they participated in a session at least. Nevertheless, they can come in as substitutes, if they can't start.

Losing to Jamaica has put us in danger of finishing last.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:14pm On Jun 13, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
They should start if they participated in a session at least. Nevertheless, they can come in as substitutes, if they can't start.

Jamaica might win Portugal.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:17pm On Jun 13, 2021
Roosa shocked Super Falcons don turn to modeling agency cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 2:48pm On Jun 13, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Jamaica might win Portugal.
Hopefully.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:00pm On Jun 13, 2021
There seems be a misconception here that these friendlies are a 'league' with each team playing each other and points will be awarded based on performance (W-D-L). That is simply NOT the case.
Both Jamaica and Portugal are playing two matches (Jamaica play Nigeria and US, not Portugal, while Portugal play the US and Nigeria only).
Both the US and Nigeria will play 3 games, while the other two teams play 2 games each.
Again, these games are just tune up friendlies for the four teams involved and not much should be made of it. It is NOT a competition.
JohnBullMySon:
Hopefully.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:02pm On Jun 13, 2021
Jamaica and Portugal are NOT scheduled to meet.
JohnBullMySon:
Hopefully.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:06pm On Jun 13, 2021
As I had stated earlier, this is not a 'league'. Jamaica are not scheduled to play Portugal. Nigeria and US are the only teams playing three games, Jamaica and Portugal are scheduled to play only two games.
These are tune-up friendly games for all 4 teams involved.
JohnBullMySon:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 4:14pm On Jun 13, 2021
Nigeria’s game kicks off at 12:15am and will be live-streamed on ussoccer.com]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 4:32pm On Jun 13, 2021
AkinDS:
As I had stated earlier, this is not a 'league'. Jamaica are not scheduled to play Portugal. Nigeria and US are the only teams playing three games, Jamaica and Portugal are scheduled to play only two games.
These are tune-up friendly games for all 4 teams involved.
Okay. I didn't know about that. Thanks for the heads up.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 4:50pm On Jun 13, 2021
JohnBullMySon:

As it stands both are going to start..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 5:08pm On Jun 13, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

As it stands both are going to start..
shocked shocked
This is risky
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:10pm On Jun 13, 2021
PDPGuy:

shocked shocked
This is risky

Very risky though
They went through a recovering training, I believe as the precessionals that they are, they can find their way through...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2021
Actually, it makes sense that they start.
Once they start to experience 'burnout' (cramps, fatigue, exhaustion, injury), coach can sub them out.
Better than bringing them in as subs and then having to sub them out because of the aforementioned.
Schemerkhiz:

Very risky though
They went through a recovering training, I believe as the professionals that they are, they can find their way through...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2021
They must have passed all the mandatory tests
Schemerkhiz:

Very risky though
They went through a recovering training, I believe as the precessionals that they are, they can find their way through...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:16pm On Jun 13, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

Very risky though

Nigeria vs Japan 2016 Olympics. There is no risk. As long as they are not jet lagged they will be fine.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 6:51pm On Jun 13, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Nigeria vs Japan 2016 Olympics. There is no risk. As long as they are not jet lagged they will be fine.

Oh oga Basco, that game Etebo ran the Japanese scatter

(1) (2) (3) ... (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) ... (1072) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.