Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,422 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (565) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (804706 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) ... (1072) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 2:49pm On Oct 26, 2022
Another hard truth is that one would have expected the ginger from defeating the favourites, Usa, to be seen in this team. Rather, we saw a rather funny formation to start with. 532. Bello and Etim upfront(terrible combo. Very terrible)

Afolabi was in the centre of the field and got absolutely exhausted and still, no sub to breathe energy or life. None!!! Blessing and even Edafe were just surviving. Like , in this heat?? Do they have Nitro?

See, I've said it at the beginning. We are lucky. Hopefully, they do something to get a medal.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 2:51pm On Oct 26, 2022
mostob:
This girl dey do like loser. You don already know she go miss penalty even before she took it
She chose the same corner that she missed vs Usa. Chai. At least copy Usani's style if you no sabi take pk. It's a fast way to take pk. They should allow Alima play 3rd place abeg.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 2:53pm On Oct 26, 2022
Why must everything be about blaming someone?
For goodness sake, these girls are kids, yet you feel it is right to 'blame' them?
That's not cool at all. Cut them some slack. They are devasted enough - no need to pile coal on them
mostob:
The biggest blame goes to Edafe IMO. Immediately she lost that kick, Nigeria crashed out because that totally ripped the confidence of the team apart.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 2:53pm On Oct 26, 2022
AndSunGorilla:

Let me see if there will be a revival on the field today. Am not against prayers o, but the way we think in Nigeria, we expect God to do everything for us, now since they lost, would they say God forsook them?
Back to the match, the better and deserving team won, qed.
grin grin

Columbia too are very religious sef. They were praying too. grin

Their coach kept kissing his cross.

A pity. It now looks like the Asst Coach, that taller dark man, is the ginger of the girls.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:54pm On Oct 26, 2022
Adeshina and Bello should not have been taken out of the game. I don't get the favouritism towards Mosaku. She has not been in the last 2 games.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AndSunGorilla: 2:55pm On Oct 26, 2022
lovewins:
Losing isn't great, but let's take it easy on the girls.

First, it is a developmental competition, so mistakes are expected to be made

Secondly, anyone who watched the girls from the beginning knew they got to this stage 50% by share luck. The luck ran out today.

The most important thing is that we take lessons from this and build from here. Also, we need to pay cognizance to the development and growth of these girls (at the very least, those with enough potentials to grow into th next stage).

When we said we were lucky against the US, some people na blasphemy, we were on the ropes throughout again today, taking in blow after blow. Sometimes you can be lucky like Chelsea was when they won their first Champions league but no be e everyday be Christmas. Anyways, well done to the girls and the coaching crew, they still ended up with the best U17 results for Nigeria and Africa. But for me, am not impressed with how substitutions were made throughout the tournament, besides the penalty changes, were the other guys on the bench just there for decor? Benches win tournaments.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Samueltemi337(m): 2:55pm On Oct 26, 2022
AkinDS:
For goodness sake, these girls are kids, yet you feel it is right to 'blame' them?
That not cool at all.
you dey mind that guy
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 2:56pm On Oct 26, 2022
BascoVanVeli:
Adeshina and Bello should not have been taken out of the game. I don't get the favouritism towards Mosaku. She has not been in the last 2 games.

His stupid formation at the beginning caused it all. 532. So to revert back to a 433, he had to take out Adeshina. I barely saw any connect with Etim and Ajakaye after that switch. Mosaku disappears like wind. Maybe those birds picked her and flew away.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by COOL10(m): 2:57pm On Oct 26, 2022
ThePresenceWtf:

More like terrible coaching?

I was referring to the goalkeeper brought in for the penalties.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 2:58pm On Oct 26, 2022
Baba wan turn Sarri wey dey bring in Kepa whenever Chelsea enter PK grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AndSunGorilla: 2:59pm On Oct 26, 2022
Samueltemi337:
But I also saw the Colombians praying too na
So their prayer hot pass our own be that, ok now.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 3:02pm On Oct 26, 2022
AkinDS:
The save she made was on which side? Her right.
She also was close to one played to her right.
Colombians quickly figured that was her strong suit and started playing to her left, which they all scored.
A descent goalkeeping coach would have noticed that and called her attention to it, through signals or some other means of communication (which would they have derived during training).
That's what coaches are there for.

The save she made against the USA was same side too. It's obviously her dominant side. You're right with th coaches calling her attention to it, they however were busy with other things. Lol

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CornOak(m): 3:03pm On Oct 26, 2022
Samueltemi337:
But you didn't see this trouble in the last match grin

Never knew that was the arrangement in the last match. cheesy
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2022
Summary
The girls gave it a shot but it wasn't enough to get to the finals. Kudos to them for getting this far and I know they must be gutted at not making it to the finals. They all hoped that accomplishment would benefit them financially and career wise, as most of them come from humble beginnings. Wish them all the very best going forward.

Picks of the Litter
Based on their individual performances over the 5 competitive games, I would hazard a guess that the following might have a bright future beyond the U17 team.

1. Amina Bello - Her overall performance in each match was good and she has the skills set to become a Super Falcon. Good pace, movement and awareness on and off the ball. She is definitely one to keep an eye on.

2. Opeyemi Ajakaye - pacy striker who caused a lot of problems for many of the teams she played against. Unlucky not to find the net in this competition. Needs to work on her ball control (first touch) and 1v1 skills, but could also be groomed to becoming a winger.

3. Blessing Emmanuel - sleek, hard working midfielder, who exhibited a lot of field generalship, busting up plays and providing the needed support to the attack.

4. Shakira Oyinlola - quiet defender, who sometimes goes unnoticed but seems to always be in the right place at the right time. Did a good job on Caicedo who, by the way, if a full Colombian international and is being looked at as the next best thing out of Colombia. My only concern is her pace, which she will likely work on and get better. One to keep an eye on.

5. Faith Omilana - Similar, if not slightly better, performance with Nnadozie at the U17 in terms of not being able to catch the ball cleanly sometimes. However, her positioning in 1v1 situations is quite good for a 17 yr old. Several point blank saves against Caicedo will definitely bode well for her. Hopefully, she can work hard and position herself to compete for a spot in the SF, as she has all the key elements to become a really good SF goalie. Certainly, one for the future.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 3:40pm On Oct 26, 2022
AkinDS:
Summary
The girls gave it a shot but it wasn't enough to get to the finals. Kudos to them for getting this far and I know they must be gutted at not making it to the finals. They all hoped that accomplishment would benefit them financially and career wise, as most of them come from humble beginnings. Wish them all the very best going forward.

Picks of the Litter
Based on their individual performances over the 5 competitive games, I would hazard a guess that the following might have a bright future beyond the U17 team.

1. Amina Bello - Her overall performance in each match was good and she has the skills set to become a Super Falcon. Good pace, movement and awareness on and off the ball. She is definitely one to keep an eye on.

2. Opeyemi Ajakaye - pacy striker who caused a lot of problems for many of the teams she played against. Unlucky not to find the net in this competition. Needs to work on her ball control (first touch) and 1v1 skills, but could also be groomed to becoming a winger.

3. Blessing Emmanuel - sleek, hard working midfielder, who exhibited a lot of field generalship, busting up plays and providing the needed support to the attack.

4.Shakira Oyinlola - quiet defender, who sometimes goes unnoticed but seems to always be in the right place at the right time. Did a good job on Caicedo who, by the way, if a full Colombian international and is being looked at as the next best thing out of Colombia. My only concern is her pace, which she will likely work on and get better. One to keep an eye on.

5. Faith Omilana - Similar, if not slightly better, performance with Nnadozie at the U17 in terms of not being able to catch the ball cleanly sometimes. However, her positioning in 1v1 situations is quite good for a 17 yr old. Several point blank saves against Caicedo will definitely bode well for her. Hopefully, she can work hard and position herself to compete for a spot in the SF, as she has all the key elements to become a really good SF goalie. Certainly, one for the future.

Ajakaye should be moved to winger.. she didn't score and she had the best chance to score but she shot straight at the goalkeeper instead of placing it..

You didn't mention Folorunso even though her penalties are not good.. she defended well and recovered quickly from her mistakes..

Number 1 should be the goalkeeper Faith Omilana...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 3:40pm On Oct 26, 2022
AkinDS:
That's not cool at all. Cut them some slack. They are devasted enough - no need to pile coal on them
Oga...check the post I quote and understand the context before you come barging at me
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 3:42pm On Oct 26, 2022
daveP:
Baba wan turn Sarri wey dey bring in Kepa whenever Chelsea enter PK grin grin grin grin
grin grin
He want to replicate the Enyeama and Aiyenugba heroic ni

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by arsenal96: 3:53pm On Oct 26, 2022
People follow football especially cadets tournaments with too much emotion. These are young girls that had given everything they had in them for this tournament. We all criticise here and there, but what I don't understand is that are we expecting a perfect squad for cadet tournament, it is hardly possible. Our weakest link at the back is Folorunsho, even as below average she has been, she is not a poor player. She just needs to be talked to, and if she can re-focused she is good to go. Few players impress me a lot, the keeper, Omilana had an amazing game today. She can be worked on and yield good for us in no time. Then, Oyinlola is another fine player at the back.Well, Edafe had mixed performances in matches, but she can be great player too.In the midfield, Taiwo showed some flairs, she just need polishing. Upfront, my second best player of the tournament, Aminat Bello, she and Ajakaiye might be players to make progress to the next level fast. Bello is smart with good footwork and good range of final passes, very intelligent player. Ajakaiye is definitely my best player this tournament. She is very fast and highly industrious. Looking at her record in the qualifiers, it is obvious this tournament has not been her best in term of goal scoring. She can be molded to be another sensational players like Oshoala, Ordega etc

My picks of the tournament;
Faith Omilana
Oyinlola
Edafe
Taiwo
Bello and,
Ajakaiye.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 3:55pm On Oct 26, 2022
AkinDS:
Summary

Picks of the Litter

4. Shakira Oyinlola - quiet defender, who sometimes goes unnoticed but seems to always be in the right place at the right time. Did a good job on Caicedo who, by the way, if a full Colombian international and is being looked at as the next best thing out of Colombia. My only concern is her pace, which she will likely work on and get better. One to keep an eye on.

I don't fancy this bunch of players quite frankly, but if I were to pick from the list, I totally agree with the above. How we build from here is what matters most.

I don't think Folorunsho should be on the list @codemaniacs. She didn't have a great tournament in my opinion. Again, don't forget the primary basis for comparison isn't the flamingoes themselves, but other teams who they are very likely to play against in the u20.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 4:00pm On Oct 26, 2022
AkinDS:

If there is anyone to blame its the coaching crew and the coach himself...

the coaching crew were busy praying instead studying the Columbian goalkeeper strong side and informing the girls since the Flamingoes themselves didn't notice it...

The coach and coaching crew were relying on prayers and luck instead of teaching and coaching the Flamingoes about looking for weaknesses the opposition team have..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 4:06pm On Oct 26, 2022
lovewins:

I don't fancy this bunch of players quite frankly, but if I were to pick from the list, I totally agree with the above. How we build from here is what matters most.

I don't think Folorunsho should be on the list @codemaniacs. She didn't have a great tournament in my opinion. Again, don't forget the primary basis for comparison isn't the flamingoes themselves, but other teams who they are very likely to play against in the u20.

She made good defensive contributions. Her problems are she's nervous and shows fear which is also due to the coaches..

the team lacked a proven finisher just like the U20 Falconets and no coaching on chance creations that's why they just blast the ball forward and no coaching on staying to a pattern of play..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by ThePresenceWtf: 4:21pm On Oct 26, 2022
COOL10:

I was referring to the goalkeeper brought in for the penalties.

I know That, but I was pointing out that it was terrible coaching by not preparing the girls for the PK, since that was what the coach was going for. The coach ( More so, the GK coach) usually gives the GK list of the opposition players and their strong/dominant foot and which side they usually kick the ball to be it PK, Shots, Set Pieces and clearances. ( Now I'll forgive them for lack of preparation on opposition players placement of shots during PKs as there maybe limited data on that, given that this is most likely this girls first outing where data is collected ) But to not do proper opposition scouting and determine their dominant foot, body and shoulder placement when taking a shot, set piece and clearance is appaling.

It also appears that the Nigerian goalkeeper was out there purely on her talent to stop spot kicks and no training, Practice, teaching and hard work was put in. ( Talent can only take you so far, without hard work, it means nothing). It's clear that Jiwaku is only comfortable diving to her right side as evidenced during the USA PK shootout and today. Of the 12 shootouts she faced in this competition, she only dove to her left ONCE ( against the US ). This is where the coaches comes in. Train her to be comfortable moving to her left also. If she had moved to her left even once, it doesn't mean she'll save it ( Though it also increases her chance of saving the left centered shots, as you can't make a save if you don't try) it would have prompted the Colombian takers to switch up their routine and go to her right also, thereby increasing the probability that she makes a save. Of the 6 Spot Kicks the Colombians took, 2 was struck to her right, She saved one and got a hand to the other. The Colombians must have figured out her inability to move to her left side and guess what, the rest of their spot kicks went to her left.

All these doesn't guarantee that we would have won, but it still calls into question the ability of these coaches and how they even got the jobs in the first place.

Being a Coach isn't all about drawing up a formation and selecting a team, so much goes into it and there's a lot of deficiencies in the Nigerian National team coaches seem.

Sorry for the Long reply.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 5:01pm On Oct 26, 2022
ThePresenceWtf:

I know That, but I was pointing out that it was terrible coaching by not preparing the girls for the PK, since that was what the coach was going for. The coach ( More so, the GK coach) usually gives the GK list of the opposition players and their strong/dominant foot and which side they usually kick the ball to be it PK, Shots, Set Pieces and clearances. ( Now I'll forgive them for lack of preparation on opposition players placement of shots during PKs as there maybe limited data on that, given that this is most likely this girls first outing where data is collected ) But to not do proper opposition scouting and determine their dominant foot, body and shoulder placement when taking a shot, set piece and clearance is appaling.

It also appears that the Nigerian goalkeeper was out there purely on her talent to stop spot kicks and no training, Practice, teaching and hard work was put in. ( Talent can only take you so far, without hard work, it means nothing). It's clear that Jiwaku is only comfortable diving to her right side as evidenced during the USA PK shootout and today. Of the 12 shootouts she faced in this competition, she only dove to her left ONCE ( against the US ). This is where the coaches comes in. Train her to be comfortable moving to her left also. If she had moved to her left even once, it doesn't mean she'll save it ( Though it also increases her chance of saving the left centered shots, as you can't make a save if you don't try) it would have prompted the Colombian takers to switch up their routine and go to her right also, thereby increasing the probability that she makes a save. Of the 6 Spot Kicks the Colombians took, 2 was struck to her right, She saved one and got a hand to the other. The Colombians must have figured out her inability to move to her left side and guess what, the rest of their spot kicks went to her left.

All these doesn't guarantee that we would have won, but it still calls into question the ability of these coaches and how they even got the jobs in the first place.

Being a Coach isn't all about drawing up a formation and selecting a team, so much goes into it and there's a lot of deficiencies in the Nigerian National team coaches seem.

Obviously there was no form of coaching except jogging around the training pitch ..

Caicedo and some other Columbian players always beat the defense line.

Again, the defenders failed to hold or even have a defense line there was always one Central Defender or defender that was deeper than the other defenders especially central defenders.. there was always 1 central defender playing the opposition players onside.

Another thing I've noticed is once there are pacy players or strikers in the team, all they do is long balls and hope the pacy player gets it not knowing that passing the ball all around to players who the opposition aren't closing down is better...

there were times the midfielders had to pass back but chose to harder option of passing forward..

the problem is for the first 10 minutes they played very well and were passing back to the defenders who were also changing the wings by passing up to the other defenders who then passed to the other winger..

the major problem of Nigerian coaches is creating tactics for chance creation and finishing those chances and training and telling the wingers, full-backs or players who find themselves in the wings to cross or pass the ball towards the center of the box or cut inside and shoot or pass.

Another major problem of Nigerian coaches is training the midfielders and other strikers to run into the box.. most times when the players are at the wings there is usually no one in the box or its the striker that's suppose to be in the box that's in the wing with the ball. Ajakaye was always in the wing.. Once a player is at the wing at least 3 players should already be in the box or running into the box and another player should be lurking behind the player in the wing incase the player has no space to cross they can pass to the player lurking behind them..

Poor local coaches and coaching is affecting the teams..

Anyway, They should allow the foreign born player to start the 3rd place match or at least play..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:06pm On Oct 26, 2022
AkinDS:
The save she made was on which side? Her right.
She also was close to one played to her right.
Colombians quickly figured that was her strong suit and started playing to her left, which they all scored.
A descent goalkeeping coach would have noticed that and called her attention to it, through signals or some other means of communication (which would they have derived during training).
That's what coaches are there for.

For the first time in few months you said something applaudable to me… Coaching Coaching Coaching is one of the problems of Nigeria Football as a whole…

Imagine Germany U17 girls team been Coached by a UEFA Pro License holder ( The highest Coaching badge in Europe), while Nigeria team same can’t be said of..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:15pm On Oct 26, 2022
AkinDS:
Summary

Picks of the Litter

Please Correct that… Omilana was okay but in terms of overall performance and not being able to catch the ball cleanly sometimes didn’t perform up to Nnadozie at the U17 level… Nnadozie was far better, maybe if you can watch those games again, or few of the highlights if available… Nnadozie performance at the U17 shows she was for the future which we’re seeing now..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by COOL10(m): 5:20pm On Oct 26, 2022
ThePresenceWtf:

You're absolutely correct.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by justicechichex: 6:01pm On Oct 26, 2022
Not trying to discredit what the girls have done so far in this tourney, coz they've tried so far to the best of their ability. But i'm just wondering if these girls are the best set of u-17 we have in the country. Or it's down to the coaches tactics. Coz this kick and follow kind of football i saw against USA & Colombia no follow atall.

And that Caicedo for Colombia na baller. Marta in the making!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:04pm On Oct 26, 2022
Nigeria meets Germany again for the third place match as Spain puts one past Germany to qualify for the Finals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:09pm On Oct 26, 2022
daveP:

His stupid formation at the beginning caused it all. 532. So to revert back to a 433, he had to take out Adeshina. I barely saw any connect with Etim and Ajakaye after that switch. Mosaku disappears like wind. Maybe those birds picked her and flew away.

Mosaku has not been with us since the quarterfinals. I don't understand why he kept her in the game.

For me i would have rather put Adeshina on the wing than take her out and leave Mosaku.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 6:15pm On Oct 26, 2022
justicechichex:
Not trying to discredit what the girls have done so far in this tourney, coz they've tried so far to the best of their ability. But i'm just wondering if these girls are the best set of u-17 we have in the country. Or it's down to the coaches tactics. Coz this kick and follow kind of football i saw against USA & Colombia no follow atall.

And that Caicedo for Colombia na baller. Marta in the making!

Caicedo is already playing for the main Colombian women national team..

How many of the Flamingoes are playing or given game time in the Super Falcons

the commentator also said at least 6 of the players in their U17 played at the just concluded U20 women's world cup..

How many of the Flamingoes played at the U20 women's world cup

If Caicedo was a baller she would have scored hat-trick because she had at least 2 one one ones with Omilana.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:00pm On Oct 26, 2022

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by justicechichex: 7:00pm On Oct 26, 2022
codemaniacs:

Caicedo is already playing for the main Colombian women national team..

How many of the Flamingoes are playing or given game time in the Super Falcons

the commentator also said at least 6 of the players in their U17 played at the just concluded U20 women's world cup..

How many of the Flamingoes played at the U20 women's world cup

If Caicedo was a baller she would have scored hat-trick because she had at least 2 one one ones with Omilana.

She's still 17 and there's room for improvement..

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) ... (1072) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.