Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,931 members, 7,810,593 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (667) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (794850 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) (669) (670) ... (1068) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:41pm On Apr 12, 2023
Jojodjo:
Is my memory fading or did Oparanozie actually play and performed well as a during the u-20 world cup in 2011/12 with Ebere Orji as the main striker undecided

In a formation of 4-4-2 both were pairing upfront but if their Coach go with 3 at the front Ebere Orji always come from the Left wing…

They both played well together and were Stars of the team at the 2010 U20 World Cup and at the Senior World Cup too..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 3:59pm On Apr 12, 2023
Deltamani:

With the temple we played against New Zealand if we can increase maybe 50% or 60% and also work on our passes and quick movement all round we stand a great chance in that group….

Ireland that we ain’t rating look so physical.. One thing we need to do is to overload the midfield and give no space for our opponents to play their game.. if we can then we’re set..

Again If Randy is starting Asisat Oshoala as our point woman, then he need to know when to bring in Desire Oparanozie and move Oshoala to the flank to bring in her pace and ball delivery which Oparanozie and Echegini can make use of as they’re both very strong in the air..

Don’t even have any plan for Onumonu right now, She’s a good striker though but Randy need to work things out for her to fit in even as a Substitute..

Kanu should also be a regular from the bench slotting into the Left..

I agree with your pints, especially on having quicker transitions and overloading the midfield.

That’s why I would prefer a 3-5-2 formation for the first two matches vs Canada and Australia. Oshoala and Oparanozie can partner upfront, with the latter being the support striker. That way, the opposition CBs would surely have a torrid time trying to handle the Nigerian power and pace upfront
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 4:10pm On Apr 12, 2023
PDPGuy:

I agree with your pints, especially on having quicker transitions and overloading the midfield.

That’s why I would prefer a 3-5-2 formation for the first two matches vs Canada and Australia. Oshoala and Oparanozie can partner upfront, with the latter being the support striker. That way, the opposition CBs would surely have a torrid time trying to handle the Nigerian power and pace upfront
I agree... 3-5-2 is actually a better formation than 4-4-2 when you need to play two forward up front.. I'd go with this lineup given that Ajibade and Ayinde won't be available for the first two games:

GK- Nnadozie

RCB- Ohale
SWP- Demehin
LCB- Plumptree

RWB- Alozie
CM- Ucheibe
CM- Echingini
CM- Payne
LWB- Imuran

CF- Oshoala
CF- Oparanozie

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Jojodjo: 4:33pm On Apr 12, 2023
Seems like it's fading indeed .
That team at the world cup gave me joy!!
Had a special liking for Sunday Esther smiley. Certaintly not forgetting Ukaonu's wonder goal from a distance.

I hope the Super falcons have a good outing like that team or even more.
Deltamani:

In a formation of 4-4-2 both were pairing upfront but if their Coach go with 3 at the front Ebere Orji always come from the Left wing…

They both played well together and were Stars of the team at the 2010 U20 World Cup and at the Senior World Cup too..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:08pm On Apr 12, 2023
See Juliana Bawa of that Year, Now a mother of 3 kids (2 girls and a Boy)
Played in Finland 🇫🇮 and retired around 2015.!

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 5:33pm On Apr 12, 2023
Iffy should make the team. She has done more than enough to earn a spot on the squad and by merit, deserves to be in the 23.
Likelihood of her being a starter is very slim, considering Oshoala and Oparanozie will likely make the squad too.

Also, as a point of note, the only 90min strikers we have are Onumonu and Ajibade (maybe). All the rest, including Oshoala, don't have the energy or lungs to play a full 90 at the level of intensity Randy demands of them. Even worse for Oparanozie. Randy mentioned in an interview that Kanu is best coming off the bench (which I fully concur with). Not seen enough of Monday to make an assessment, but the little I have seen of her with her club UDG Tenerife, she doesn't appear to have the lungs for a full 90.

Also, not sure where folks here get the impression Onumonu does not have any pace. She used to sprint in High School and is well known for her pace with FC Gotham.
daveP:

I'll still love Ify to go to wwc. She deserves a spot on the plane. Like this lady wan die the next day after she miss pk. She was moody inside swimming pool😂

The truth is our WC campaigns, the last two, na only Oshoala get pace that threatens opponents. Our tempo is not among top 20. If we can just switch it, there'll be a few casualties.

I'm rating the irish o. They are really physical and have a good goalie. Just not threatening up front. We should get 3points without slacking at the back. Defensive errors has caused 6goals in last two Wwc for us.

As For Oshoala,i dunno. Looks like she's a 60min player. Ajibade is 65. What they offer after this time is just not good enough especially as they don't even have power to defend again. Esp not to risk injury that will deflate our attacking flair.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:36pm On Apr 12, 2023
Ibom Angels undergoing another thrashing. 4-0 and first half still going.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 6:43pm On Apr 12, 2023
What's the update on Oshoala injury?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 9:44pm On Apr 12, 2023
AkinDS:
Iffy should make the team. She has done more than enough to earn a spot on the squad and by merit, deserves to be in the 23.
Likelihood of her being a starter is very slim, considering Oshoala and Oparanozie will likely make the squad too.

Also, as a point of note, the only 90min strikers we have are Onumonu and Ajibade (maybe). All the rest, including Oshoala, don't have the energy or lungs to play a full 90 at the level of intensity Randy demands of them. Even worse for Oparanozie. Randy mentioned in an interview that Kanu is best coming off the bench (which I fully concur with). Not seen enough of Monday to make an assessment, but the little I have seen of her with her club UDG Tenerife, she doesn't appear to have the lungs for a full 90.

Also, not sure where folks here get the impression Onumonu does not have any pace. She used to sprint in High School and is well known for her pace with FC Gotham.
Abeg remove Ajibade from the 90mins list. 65mins and she should be subbed off or she comes from the bench. Anyone. She's off form right now.

I'll love to watch Onumonu at the world cup no doubt. She should be there.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 9:45pm On Apr 12, 2023
mostob:
I'll take Kanu as the 3rd CF as well as a backup on the wing (even a starter sef)
Onumonu can sit down abeg...
Kanu and Onumonu will make that list. Especially Kanu. Headache for final list loading 😂

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 9:50pm On Apr 12, 2023
Deltamani:
Anyway my final 23players for the World Should look like this going with Randy Waldrum majorly called up and used players...

Goalkeepers
Chiamaka Nnadozie 22yrs. 2nd WC
Tochukwu Oluehi 36yrs. 4th WC
Yewande Balogun 33yrs. 1st WC

Defenders
Onome Ebi 40yrs. 6th WC
Osinachi Ohale 31yrs. 4th WC
Ashleigh Plumptre 25yrs. 1st WC
Blessing Demehin 22yrs. 1st WC
Michelle Alozie 26yrs. 1st WC
Rofiat Imuran 19yrs. 1st WC
Nicole Payne 22yrs. 1stWC or Glory Ogbonna 24yrs. 1st WC

Midfielders
Ngozi Okobi 29yrs. 3rd WC
Halimatu Ayinde 28yrs. 3rd WC
Christy Ucheibe 22yrs. 1st WC
Tony Payne 28yrs. 1st WC
Onyi Echegini 22yrs. 1st WC
Regina Otu 26yrs. 1st WC

Striker
Desire Oparanozie 29yrs. 4th WC
Asisat Oshoala 28yrs. 3rd WC
Ifeoma Onumonu 29yrs. 1st WC
Esther Okoronkwo 26yrs. 1st WC
Rasheedat Ajibade 23yrs. 2nd WC
Uchenna Kanu 26yrs. 2nd WC
Fransisca Ordega 29yrs. 4th WC or Monday Gift 21yrs. 1st WC

How do you guys see this List??
Great list. Forwards actually. Na just 2.5 strikers dey the team.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 9:51pm On Apr 12, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

If he put his hands on Waldrum he must go but if it was just a argument, they'll get over it. I didn't feel there was any beef between the 2. U could even hear the Nigerian coach passionately defending Randy at the end when they said he made an extra Substitution.

For me the real story is the coach that wasn't there. Would Randy have made the same decisions with her presence? I think the Nigerian coaches need to be talked about because this proves without a doubt that they bring something to the table. It was just Randy and them and they got it done.

That's my stance too. If the assault happened then that fellow needs to be booted out.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 10:16pm On Apr 12, 2023
daveP:
Kanu and Onumonu will make that list. Especially Kanu. Headache for final list loading
Headache no dey anywhere. The team already picks itself unless something surprising spring up between now and June. That Onumonu no too dey follow. Look at how Desire would hold up the ball and release a clean pass. Onumonu no fit do am jare

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 10:48pm On Apr 12, 2023
mostob:
Headache no dey anywhere. The team already picks itself unless something surprising spring up between now and June. That Onumonu no too dey follow. Look at how Desire would hold up the ball and release a clean pass. Onumonu no fit do am jare

WC is still more than two months away. All of them will surely be invited in a provisional list. The friendlies that will be played before the WC will carry more weight than these ones. Once she's impresses Randy and the staff, she's good to go.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 11:29pm On Apr 12, 2023
Deltamani:
Anyway my final 23players for the World Should look like this going with Randy Waldrum majorly called up and used players...

Goalkeepers
Chiamaka Nnadozie 22yrs. 2nd WC
Tochukwu Oluehi 36yrs. 4th WC
Yewande Balogun 33yrs. 1st WC

Defenders
Onome Ebi 40yrs. 6th WC
Osinachi Ohale 31yrs. 4th WC
Ashleigh Plumptre 25yrs. 1st WC
Blessing Demehin 22yrs. 1st WC
Michelle Alozie 26yrs. 1st WC
Rofiat Imuran 19yrs. 1st WC
Nicole Payne 22yrs. 1stWC or Glory Ogbonna 24yrs. 1st WC

Midfielders
Ngozi Okobi 29yrs. 3rd WC
Halimatu Ayinde 28yrs. 3rd WC
Christy Ucheibe 22yrs. 1st WC
Tony Payne 28yrs. 1st WC
Onyi Echegini 22yrs. 1st WC
Regina Otu 26yrs. 1st WC

Striker
Desire Oparanozie 29yrs. 4th WC
Asisat Oshoala 28yrs. 3rd WC
Ifeoma Onumonu 29yrs. 1st WC
Esther Okoronkwo 26yrs. 1st WC
Rasheedat Ajibade 23yrs. 2nd WC
Uchenna Kanu 26yrs. 2nd WC
Fransisca Ordega 29yrs. 4th WC or Monday Gift 21yrs. 1st WC

How do you guys see this List??
.. Nice, i do like to see what your starting 11 would be like from this list..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 12:10am On Apr 13, 2023
Jojodjo:
Seems like it's fading indeed .
That team at the world cup gave me joy!!
Had a special liking for Sunday Esther smiley. Certaintly not forgetting Ukaonu's wonder goal from a distance.

I hope the Super falcons have a good outing like that team or even more.
for these girls you mentioned, we don't need drinks to bring back the memories. My head wan burst🤩

Esther Sunday's closest clone na Ajakaye.

Those girls has eyes for goal and accurate shots whenever they played. I wished Ukaonu had a great SF career

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 8:18am On Apr 13, 2023
daveP:
for these girls you mentioned, we don't need drinks to bring back the memories. My head wan burst🤩

Those girls has eyes for goal and accurate shots whenever they played. I wished Ukaonu had a great SF career

Ajakaye cant be sef, she doesn’t have the skills Esther Sunday possess..

Helen Ukaonu had a good career with the Superfalcon even though it was very shot (2010 -2014).. She signed for Swedish Clubside Sunnana Sk from Delta Queens then and that was the Club she played for from 2011 till 2014. She burst into the Superfalcon starting 11 direct from U20 and Faith Ikidi was moved to the right Back Position for the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup.. She was our best ball crosser then along Stella Mbachu.

Anyway na Marriage and Child birth still make her retire early, She gave birth to her Daughter in 2014 or 15… I will have to ask Real Love OC about her cause cause e don tae.!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Jojodjo: 10:04am On Apr 13, 2023
Good team, good memories.
Wondered what happened to Ukaonu's national career; I think from that back line, it's only Ohale Osinachi that has gone on to represent the national team more.
daveP:

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:22am On Apr 13, 2023
Jojodjo:
Good temperature, good memories.
Wondered what happened to Ukaonu's national career; I think from that back line, it's only Ohale Osinachi that has gone on to represent the national team more.

I hope you’re also aware that Ngozi Ebere was part of the 2010 U20 FIFA Women’s World Cup Squad, though she play as a wide midfielder then..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Jojodjo: 11:55am On Apr 13, 2023
Thanks, I had completely forgotten about her.
Deltamani:

I hope you’re also aware that Ngozi Ebere was part of the 2010 U20 FIFA Women’s World Cup Squad, though she play as a wide midfielder then..

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 1:36pm On Apr 13, 2023
Deltamani:

Ajakaye cant be sef, she doesn’t have the skills Esther Sunday possess..

Helen Ukaonu had a good career with the Superfalcon even though it was very shot (2010 -2014).. She signed for Swedish Clubside Sunnana Sk from Delta Queens then and that was the Club she played for from 2011 till 2014. She burst into the Superfalcon starting 11 direct from U20 and Faith Ikidi was moved to the right Back Position for the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup.. She was our best ball crosser then along Stella Mbachu.

Anyway na Marriage and Child birth still make her retire early, She gave birth to her Daughter in 2014 or 15… I will have to ask Real Love OC about her cause cause e don tae.!
That's why i said closest right now. Not that she's actually close per se. She moves like her and positions like her.

I wish Ukaonu went on longer sha. Baller.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:02pm On Apr 13, 2023
D1 Arkema 🇫🇷

Phillipe Diallo, interim president of the French Football Federation, and Jean-Michel Aulas, member of the FFF Executive Committee, announced various development actions taken by the Federation in favor of high-level women's football

On June 10 at Federal Assembly , the Professional League project will be submitted for validation. The plan presented takes effect on July 1st 202 and the League will be set up on the same date if the FFF AG validates it.

Creation of a women's professional league for D1 and D2 with a commitment from the FFF but also to seek external resources (partnerships, broadcasters, creation of a commercial company) , the D1 Feminine being revamped with play offs .

A increase of up to 5 million Euros towards women's football

Calendar 2023-2024
Commencement of D1 and D2: on the 16th and 17th of September 2023
Saturday 4 May 2024 : finale of the Coupe de France
D1 Arkema Playoff
Semi Final : 12 May 2024
Third Place Match and Final date to be confirmed , the third place winner and the Finalists qualifying for the Uefa women's champions league 2024-25

Launch of tenders
Free-to-air TV rights for Les Bleues: 10 to 14 games per season (Qualifications for Euro 2025 and World Cup 2027, friendlies, Nations League)
D1 (rights for 4 years): 132 matches including 10 free to air games per season and 1 Play-Off prize + Champions Trophy

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:09pm On Apr 13, 2023
Injuries leave Falcons opponents with several questions ahead World Cup
The team’s head coach, Bev Priestman, told reporters the situation was worrying.

Canadian women national team
Aglut of injured players leaves Canada with several question marks across the squad with 99 days to go until the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

The team’s head coach, Bev Priestman, told reporters the situation was worrying.

The sixth-ranked Olympic champions lost 1-2 to fifth-ranked France in their friendly in Le Mans on Tuesday, a match that was a key part of their preparations.

At the Mundial, they are billed to face co-hosts Australia, nine-time African champions Nigeria and Ireland.

However, several veterans were missing from the match, including midfielders Desiree Scott and Quinn, centre-back Kadeisha Buchanan and forward Janine Beckie.

Beckie was ruled out of the quadrennial tournament after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury last month.

“In many ways, as a coach, you would like to get rid of the clutter early. I don’t have that luxury,” said Priestman.

Priestman said she would closely watch upcoming National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) games and the rest of the European season.

“(Planning) with and without some very critical players who, you know, did get us on the podium and have a massive amount of caps and experience.”

France, playing only their second match since Herve Renard was named head coach last month, scored minutes into the second half with a header by Grace Geyoro.

Then, substitute Lea Le Garrec added to their lead with a shot from outside the penalty box.

OL Reign forward Jordyn Huitema scored for Canada minutes later with a shot into the bottom right corner.

“We’ve stretched ourselves, and we’ve been stretched with the absences we’ve had,” said Priestman, pointing to the level of competition France brought along with recent opponents at the SheBelieves Cup —- Japan, Brazil and the U.S.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:43pm On Apr 13, 2023
Edo Queens vs Ibom Angels highlights
Complete Edo dominance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB4J5_mMgVw

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:13am On Apr 14, 2023
BascoVanVeli:
Complete Edo dominance

This Yemisi Samuel was the top Scorer of the 2020 U17 set that had players like Imuran, Chinyere Kalu and goalkeeper Ekeh Nelly…

Hopefully she would be in the next U20 set as she’s still within the age bracket..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:27am On Apr 14, 2023
BascoVanVeli:
Complete Edo dominance

Fajobi Yetunde #33 of Edo Queens is also a good player.
A decisive, nice and sharp attacker that doesn't allow a rest in defense line of the opponent. She's well endowed with pace and dribbling ability.

Yetunde is indeed a baller that needed to be exposed though played and scored good number of goals for the Flamingoes 2017/18 U17 set but wasn’t picked for the main tournament.. Played alongside Nnadozie, Ajibade, Okeke, Christy Ucheibe, Peace Efih then, still wondering why she isn’t in the Spotlight at this stage…

Another player again that caught my attention is FC Robo Folashade Ijamilusi …

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 12:38pm On Apr 14, 2023
Zambia is playing Germany in July

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 2:57pm On Apr 14, 2023

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:05pm On Apr 14, 2023
That flip the bottle challenge btw Oshoala and Monday Gift is a joy to watch.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 4:09pm On Apr 14, 2023
naptu2:
https://twitter.com/FCBfemeni/status/1646847643333656576

She may just have lost the pichichi this year.

With 6 matches to go, She's currently 3 goals behind Redondo and will now be missing some games.

Kai.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:42pm On Apr 14, 2023
lovewins:

She may just have lost the pichichi this year.

With 6 matches to go, She's currently 3 goals behind Redondo and will now be missing some games.

Kai.

Might seat out a minimum of two weeks and missing the Champions League games against Chelsea look certain..

Anyway Barcelona have their way of doing things.. If Alba Redondo doesn’t score again there might be hope.. But again it’s very likely that she would score more goals before the end of the season
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 4:45pm On Apr 14, 2023
Deltamani:

Might seat out a minimum of two weeks and missing the Champions League games against Chelsea look certain..

Anyway Barcelona have their way of doing things.. If Alba Redondo doesn’t score again there might be hope.. But again it’s very likely that she would score more goals before the end of the season

Some people are if the opinion that she may just have been rested so she could play the champions League game. That's cause she trained with the team today. I also do not think the groin injury is severe cause she's been walking on her feet since the game. But who knows? We'll see how it goes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) (669) (670) ... (1068) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.