Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,027 members, 7,821,565 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (698) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (806509 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) (700) (701) ... (1073) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 2:46pm On Jun 16, 2023
Your comments are spot on.
I am excited about the energy that the Ucheibe-Payne-Echegini midfield will bring to the team to support the pace of the Kanu-Oshoala-Okoronkwo frontline (in the absence of Ajibade and Ayinde who are on suspension due to red cards from the WAFCON).

Good squad all around.

Danielnino00:

I don't think the team will miss Okobi..Let's be honest, she's past her best... She doesnt play the role of a AM effectively anymore...shes more like a CM that enjoys hogging the ball now .

In the absence of Ayinde in midfield, I think Ucheibe, Payne and Echijini will do the job..
Without Ajibade on the wing, we're fine too.. our attack is loaded well enough...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 2:52pm On Jun 16, 2023
In fairness to Ordega, she has been playing very well for her team Spartak Moskow and is in good shape.
She always bring a certain energy to the team and she is a proven leader - very well liked by the younger ones on the team (same with Oparanozie). Not sure that is the case with Okobi, as far as team dynamics is concerned.

I think the right players were selected in this case.

ekehopp2:

Ngozi Okobi-Okeoghene own pain me no be small. She even captained 3rd place match at WAFCON.
I would have taken her ahead of Francis Ordega.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 3:06pm On Jun 16, 2023
naptu2:
Reaction.

Another reason why I sincerely have reservations about Okobi. I've said it over and again here, if I were Waldrum, the last time Okobi will play for me was when she went on that live and made a mess of her entire team.

Just hours after the world cup list is released she's reacting like this?

Don't get me wrong, I think she has a right to her reactions and rumours has it that until a few days ago her name was on the list, but a team player will probably wait till the end of the competition, and even at that be circumspect with her speech.

The height of it for me was when she said to the entire world that Randy didn't know anything, like your coach? Whatever your reservations are you should never say that about your boss, much more to the entire world.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 3:06pm On Jun 16, 2023
lovewins:
Breaking:

Super Falcons list finally out.

I prefer Nicole Payne to Glory Ogbonna.
But overall the list is tight and right.
I'm satisfied.
I hope they will all bring their A-game
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 3:08pm On Jun 16, 2023
lovewins:

Another reason why I sincerely have reservations about Okobi. I've said it over and again here, if I were Waldrum, the last time Okobi will play for me was when she went on that live and made a mess of her entire team.

Don't get me wrong, I think she has a right to her reactions and rumours has it that until a few days ago her name was on the list, but a team player will probably wait till the end of the competition, and even at that be circumspect with her speech.

The height of it for me was when she said to the entire world that Randy didn't know anything, like your coach? Whatever your reservations are you should never say that about your boss, much more to the entire world.

That was immature & unprofessional of her
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 3:23pm On Jun 16, 2023
Classic case of 'Karma being a b!tch'

Randy handled the situation with her maturely - Okobi showed the world her poor team player and lack of leadership skills. Ripping into the coach and team mates, then expecting that it wouldn't influence the final team selection is the height of immaturity on her part.

It is even more difficult to argue against her being dropped, especially when the person who displaced her from the team (Onyi Echegini) is much younger, more energetic and brings a lot more intelligent play to the team that she does.

She could have handled this better.
lovewins:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 3:24pm On Jun 16, 2023
Agree, but overall, the list is very okay.
solonnachi:

I prefer Nicole Payne to Glory Ogbonna.
But overall the list is tight and right.
I'm satisfied.
I hope they will all bring their A-game
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:25pm On Jun 16, 2023
AkinDS:
In fairness to Ordega, she has been playing very well for her team Spartak Moskow and is in good shape.
She always bring a certain energy to the team and she is a proven leader - very well liked by the younger ones on the team (same with Oparanozie). Not sure that is the case with Okobi, as far as team dynamics is concerned.

I think the right players were selected in this case.

FRANSISCA ORDEGA have been in great form for CSKA MOSCOW this season, With 5goals and 3 assists from 10 games that isn’t a bad Statistics for a Winger of her Caliber and she is comfortable on both wings as she can use both feet’s effectively, Known for her pace, low centre of gravity, and dribbling skills, I have always praised her for offering a "real threat," her use of pace with composure and her maturity. Despite her small stature, she also possesses considerable upper-body strength, which aids her in withstanding challenges, and retaining possession.

She is blessed with natural pace that makes even the best defences and defenders take a step back during 1v1 situations.

Yes she probably haven’t been at her best for the Falcons but we should also remember that Ordega have never had a BAD game at the World Cup she’s always among the top performer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:29pm On Jun 16, 2023
lovewins:

Maybe she was taking a tip from the Proactive Megan Rapineo and her American fellows that can say what they want about their Coaches and Federation, in Nigeria here the Case isn’t the same. Oparanozie spoke out and faced the consequences, Even the mighty Asisat Oshoala da mind Wetin she da talk especially when it comes to the Falcons and NFF.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:33pm On Jun 16, 2023
AkinDS:
Classic case of 'Karma being a b!tch'

Randy handled the situation with her maturely - Okobi showed the world her poor team player and lack of leadership skills. Ripping into the coach and team mates, then expecting that it wouldn't influence the final team selection is the height of immaturity on her part.

It is even more difficult to argue against her being dropped, especially when the person who displaced her from the team (Onyi Echegini) is much younger, more energetic and brings a lot more intelligent play to the team that she does.

She could have handled this better.

Onyi is such a good player and she came up
In the Right time,… By the way we shouldn’t be expecting any average of a performance from a Player of Onyi type who have gone through Arsenal Women’s Football Club Academy, Played College Football in the US and will arguably go PRO soonest..

An Excellent Performance from her at the World Cup will definitely sell her out to the Big Clubs and also Increase her Market Value.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 3:39pm On Jun 16, 2023
Deltamani:

Maybe she was taking a tip from the Proactive Megan Rapineo and her American fellows that can say what they want about their Coaches and Federation, in Nigeria here the Case isn’t the same. Oparanozie spoke out and faced the consequences, Even the mighty Asisat Oshoala da mind Wetin she da talk especially when it comes to the Falcons and NFF.

I disagree with you sha. It's not being American it's just being professional. The current social climate in the US makes everything about activism and of course Americans are naturally vocal about areas of disagreement. They however go about it professionally.

Also, the basis for these disagreements is largely about what concerns the team and not an individual. No one in the American team will make a spectacle of being exempted from the list, but they will fight for equal pay, better treatment etc all in the interest of the team. Just yesterday, the Jamaican female team released a joint statement expressing their displeasure to the FA's treatment of their world cup preparation. All these can be done while being professional.

Okobi however takes a pedestrian approach. For God's sake she's not the only one. Uncle probably has a better kwalms as she could argue line Onome she wants this to be her last world cup too. But ever since Uncle was excused from the team, she's taken it with you (at least at the public eye). What Okobi is doing is indirectly saying one of her team mates isn't deserving. Even if that were true they shouldn't hear it from her.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Jojodjo: 3:41pm On Jun 16, 2023
I guess she's just like Ahmed Musa who's most times performed well at the world cup
Deltamani:

FRANSISCA ORDEGA have been in great form for CSKA MOSCOW this season, With 5goals and 3 assists from 10 games that isn’t a bad Statistics for a Winger of her Caliber and she is comfortable on both wings as she can use both feet’s effectively, Known for her pace, low centre of gravity, and dribbling skills, I have always praised her for offering a "real threat," her use of pace with composure and her maturity. Despite her small stature, she also possesses considerable upper-body strength, which aids her in withstanding challenges, and retaining possession.

She is blessed with natural pace that makes even the best defences and defenders take a step back during 1v1 situations.

Yes she probably haven’t been at her best for the Falcons but we should also remember that Ordega have never had a BAD game at the World Cup she’s always among the top performer.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by ekehopp2: 3:47pm On Jun 16, 2023
lovewins:

When exactly did she make the live and criticise Randy?
I just cheered her up on Twitter now, and she acknowledged.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 3:58pm On Jun 16, 2023
ekehopp2:

When exactly did she make the live and criticise Randy?
I just cheered her up on Twitter now, and she acknowledged.

It was after the last WAFCON. Also she didn't just criticise Randy, she ridiculed him and basically called him incompetent. Fans and pundits can do that, but you don't say that to your boss.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:00pm On Jun 16, 2023
Jojodjo:
I guess she's just like Ahmed Musa who's most times performed well at the world cup

I only just the World Cup as a base of it all if not Ordega have been excellent for the SuperFalcons…

Check out, 2010 WAFCON she was mostly a substitute though but performed well when she came on.
2012 WAFCON she alongside Oparanozie and Ohale didn’t partake.
2014 WAFCON she was excellent, I can’t even forget the final against Cameroon, her excellent dribble and pass to Oshoala who scored the Second goal..
2016 WAFCON she was good too, full of running from both flanks..
2018 WAFCON she was arguably our 2nd best player behind Tochukwu Oluehi our penalty heroine.
2020… there was no WAFCON due to Covid and all that.
2022… She didn’t play much as Randy was still having selection problems but Her entire performance was average at best.. Even the WAFCON qualification game against Ghana the first leg, she gave the two assists to Kanu… and missed out on the second leg because of injury..

This season she have 5 goals, 3assist in 10 games, missed only 3 games because of a minor injury that kept her out for about 2weeks plus..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:07pm On Jun 16, 2023
This Ngozi Okobi exclusion from the World Cup Squad carry weight just as the one of Cynthia Uwak in 2011

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:09pm On Jun 16, 2023
I was thinking Deborah Abeodun have traveled to the US before now because since she was announced by Pittsburgh University, She stopped playing for Rivers Angels immediately..

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 4:15pm On Jun 16, 2023
I’m satisfied with the list after my initial fear that the NFF would impose some ‘strange’ names on Waldrum…

Question: Would Ajibade truly miss the first two WC matches? I’m asking because she only received two yellows in the WAFCON game v Morocco, and a 2YC situation usually results in only a one match ban.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Jojodjo: 4:24pm On Jun 16, 2023
But to be fair, Randy needed that at that point; the poor results was too much. Coming from a senior player, the criticism would be taken seriously and positive change would be effected.
It's just like saying players should keep quiet irrespective of how the football federation treats them. Sometimes, someone needs to speak up irrespective of how unprofessional it sounds.
lovewins:

It was after the last WAFCON. Also she didn't just criticise Randy, she ridiculed him and basically called him incompetent. Fans and pundits can do that, but you don't say that to your boss.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Jojodjo: 4:27pm On Jun 16, 2023
She's tested and proven. I hope she shines this time too irrespective of game time.
Deltamani:

I only just the World Cup as a base of it all if not Ordega have been excellent for the SuperFalcons…

Check out, 2010 WAFCON she was mostly a substitute though but performed well when she came on.
2012 WAFCON she alongside Oparanozie and Ohale didn’t partake.
2014 WAFCON she was excellent, I can’t even forget the final against Cameroon, her excellent dribble and pass to Oshoala who scored the Second goal..
2016 WAFCON she was good too, full of running from both flanks..
2018 WAFCON she was arguably our 2nd best player behind Tochukwu Oluehi our penalty heroine.
2020… there was no WAFCON due to Covid and all that.
2022… She didn’t play much as Randy was still having selection problems but Her entire performance was average at best.. Even the WAFCON qualification game against Ghana the first leg, she gave the two assists to Kanu… and missed out on the second leg because of injury..

This season she have 5 goals, 3assist in 10 games, missed only 3 games because of a minor injury that kept her out for about 2weeks plus..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:15pm On Jun 16, 2023
PDPGuy:
I’m satisfied with the list after my initial fear that the NFF would impose some ‘strange’ names on Waldrum…

Question: Would Ajibade truly miss the first two WC matches? I’m asking because she only received two yellows in the WAFCON game v Morocco, and a 2YC situation usually results in only a one match ban.
The red card against Morocco.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:29pm On Jun 16, 2023
Meet the YOUNGEST and the OLDEST players that will be representing the Super Falcons of Nigeria🇳🇬 at the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand starting from the 20th of August 2023. 🤝🏽

👉 Deborah Abiodun🇳🇬 (born 02 November 2003) - 19 years

👉 Onome Ebi🇳🇬 (born 08 May 1983) - 40 years

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 5:31pm On Jun 16, 2023
Jojodjo:
But to be fair, Randy needed that at that point; the poor results was too much. Coming from a senior player, the criticism would be taken seriously and positive change would be effected.
It's just like saying players should keep quiet irrespective of how the football federation treats them. Sometimes, someone needs to speak up irrespective of how unprofessional it sounds.

No bruh. No player whatsoever has any right to correct his coach. That's straight up insubordination. It's like having a soldier correct his officer.

Doing it on the pitch can be excused because emotions run high sometime. But doing it long after the match has ended, publicly, is something that should never be tolerated.

The coach has his own employers for a reason. If I were Randy, She would have left the squad immediately after that. Personally I hate disrespect for direct authority.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:38pm On Jun 16, 2023
This Okobi Exclusion matter still da rise up 🆙

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Jojodjo: 5:53pm On Jun 16, 2023
smileyThank God you are not Randy.
I understand your point though; disrespect is a NO.
JohnBullMySon:

No bruh. No player whatsoever has any right to correct his coach. That's straight up insubordination. It's like having a soldier correct his officer.

Doing it on the pitch can be excused because emotions run high sometime. But doing it long after the match has ended, publicly, is something that should never be tolerated.

The coach has his own employers for a reason. If I were Randy, She would have left the squad immediately after that. Personally I hate disrespect for direct authority.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:59pm On Jun 16, 2023
Former SuperFalcons goalkeeper Judith Chime have this to say…

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AndSunGorilla: 6:12pm On Jun 16, 2023
Deltamani:
In my opinion I think the best legs were chosen to a large degree. The beat players irrespective of where they play should be chosen qed. Let's be honest, the best players we have don't stay long in the NPFL, they are fervently praying to japa!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 6:12pm On Jun 16, 2023
Udoh is just trying to stir up a hornets nest.
If he employed common sense, he would realize Okobi had really become less and less relevant to the team.
The last five games showed Echegini on the accendancy and if he bothered to be objective, he would have realized she was a direct and credible threat to Okobi.

Deltamani:
This Okobi Exclusion matter still da rise up 🆙
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 6:20pm On Jun 16, 2023
Some of these ex players just talk without reason or deep thinking.
My response is: Who on the list isn't Nigerian and who on the list should be dropped for an underdeveloped home based player?

The best Nigerian players were selected by Randy. He has worked with them for over a year and knows they have what it takes to compete against the best in the world. LET HIM DO HIS EFFING JOB!!!

When he leaves the team, you can appoint your bush uneducated coaches and let them do what they want. When the likes of Ghana and Ivory Coast knock Nigeria out of the Olympics again, these same ex players will be the same ones advocating for a foreign coach. Circle of insanity!
Deltamani:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:20pm On Jun 16, 2023
Deltamani:

I am tired of comments like this. It is myopic and dishonest quite frankly. We can shift th goal post when it suits us. It's either we exalt merit as a nation or we exalt mediocrity and stick with quotas.

We shouldn't also stop at representative "home based players" (I'll come to that argument soon), we should also have quotas for tribes to reflect our diversity since we all want to be unserious.

To the argument raised, isn't it dishonest to claim that we don't have home based players represented. For God sake 4 players on the list were playing in the NWSL less than a year ago (Monday Gift, Blessing Demehin, Deborah Abiodun and Rofiat Imuran). It was sheer brilliance that distinguished them and got them contracts in better leagues they now play. Should we then say the NWSL isn't represented if folks who played in that league just a year ago (some lesser) are now world cup bound?

It's why this home based policy is stupid. We'll keep choosing players just to satisfy the policy, they move abroad and then we start looking for the next set. Suffice to say these players weren't chosen primarily because of where they play, but based on what they contribute to the team. We should always emphasise merits and not this backwards metrics for national team selection.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:37pm On Jun 16, 2023
AndSunGorilla:

In my opinion I think the best legs were chosen to a large degree. The beat players irrespective of where they play should be chosen qed. Let's be honest, the best players we have don't stay long in the NPFL, they are fervently praying to japa!!!

I wish they would understand, Most of these Players once they shine to some extent in the Nigeria League they run to Belarus, Lithuania, Israel, Kazakhstan and some other Lower League in Europe…

Only few of them like Monday Gift, Chidinma Okeke, Blessing Demehin, Imuran and Co waited patiently for top Club In the Tougher League to sign them.

If Nigeria League was good enough in terms of financial aspect I don’t think this girls will go to those Lower Leagues in Europe, they will definitely wait patiently for Clubs from England, Spain, Germany, France, Sweden, Norway, Russia, Portugal, NWSL and fast rising Mexican League etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:39pm On Jun 16, 2023
lovewins:

I am tired of comments like this. It is myopic and dishonest quite frankly. We can shift th goal post when it suits us. It's either we exalt merit as a nation or we exalt mediocrity and stick with quotas.

We shouldn't also stop at representative "home based players" (I'll come to that argument soon), we should also have quotas for tribes to reflect our diversity since we all want to be unserious.

To the argument raised, isn't it dishonest to claim that we don't have home based players represented. For God sake 4 players on the list were playing in the NWSL less than a year ago (Monday Gift, Blessing Demehin, Deborah Abiodun and Rofiat Imuran). It was sheer brilliance that distinguished them and got them contracts in better leagues they now play. Should we then say the NWSL isn't represented if folks who played in that league just a year ago (some lesser) are now world cup bound?

It's why this home based policy is stupid. We'll keep choosing players just to satisfy the policy, they move abroad and then we start looking for the next set. Suffice to say these players weren't chosen primarily because of where they play, but based on what they contribute to the team. We should always emphasise merits and not this backwards metrics for national team selection.

The Flourish Sabastine, Esther Onyenezide and Co have at least gotten offers from one or two Clubs in this Lower league in Europe but since they know their worth and still receiving a manageable salary they tends to be Patient till the right deal comes.. I know the number of Players Rivers Angels and Bayelsa Queens lost to those small Clubs in Europe after the Champions League…

(1) (2) (3) ... (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) (700) (701) ... (1073) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.