Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,810 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (986) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (801491 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (983) (984) (985) (986) (987) (988) (989) ... (1071) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:54pm On Feb 05
Congratulations to Salisu Anuoluwapo she's the new Hapoel Petah Tikva women's team player..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:08pm On Feb 05
CAF Women's Under 17 Qualifying Round 2 1st leg

Morocco 🇲🇦 crush Niger as Lina Mokhtari strikes 5 in the 11-0 win

Niger 0-11 Morroco
Wafae Benthari 19
Salma Senhaji 26
Awatif El Ghazouani 31
Lina Mokhtari Jamai 32 34 45+3 46 90+5
Ines Aboucharif 51
Sham Bouhouch 55
Sara Dofry 90

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:05am On Feb 06
This Juventus Coach na Werey ooooo

Las Las Echegini go play all the Position for them, Maybe except as a goalie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHMYMMsOZA?si=eOcTwATlDsbitkmJ
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 1:44pm On Feb 06
The Draw is set..

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:02pm On Feb 06
Deltamani:
The Draw is set..
Barcelona running away with this one.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:43pm On Feb 06
🚨Super Falcons duo of goalkeeper Tochukwu Oluehi and defender Ashleigh Plumptre made the cut for the Team of the Week in Saudi Women’s Premier League after match day 10.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:44pm On Feb 06
mostob:
Barcelona running away with this one.

They’re favorite for sure followed by Lyon before any other club

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:40am On Feb 07
Banyana Banyana coach Desiree Ellis named her 32 members provisional squad set to be trimmed ahead of Tanzania olympic qualification clash.

GOALKEEPERS
Andile DLAMINI🇿🇦
Kaylin SWART🇿🇦
Katlego MOLETSANE🇿🇦
Dineo MAGAGULA 🇿🇦
Victoria MUROA 🇿🇦
Dimakatso NTSIENE 🇿🇦

DEFENDERS
Karabo DHLAMINI 🇿🇦
Noko MATLOU 🇪🇸
Fikile MAGAMA🇿🇦
Asanda HADEBE🇿🇦
Tiisetso MAKHUBELA 🇿🇦
Lonathemba MHLONGO 🇿🇦
Lebohang RAMALEPE 🇿🇦

MIDFIELDERS
Kholosa BIYANA 🇿🇦
Refiloe JANE 🇮🇹
Linda MOTLHALO 🇺🇸
Nomvula KGOALE 🇿🇦
Sphumelele SHAMASE 🇿🇦
Amogelang MOTAU 🇿🇦
Thalea SMIDT 🇿🇦
Lesego NKOANE 🇿🇦
Thubelihle SHAMASE 🇿🇦

FORWARDS
Nicole MICHAEL🇿🇦
Gabriela SALGADO 🇿🇦
Samkelisiwe SELANA 🇿🇦
Noxolo CESANE 🇿🇦
Melinda KGADIETE 🇿🇦
Wendy SHONGWE 🇿🇦
Nthabiseng MAJIYA🇿🇦
Jermaine SEOPOSENWE 🇲🇽
Hildah MAGAIA 🇲🇽
Thembi KGATLANA 🇲🇽

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Icon4s(m): 8:08am On Feb 07
lovewins:

I think you mean Etim and I mentioned this weeks ago when the list was released. It makes no sense. Those who write ages for these players should try and be responsible small na. The problem now is she'll have spent the years she's supposed to compete with her peers in developmental stages and won't cope by the time she's supposed to translate same at the senior level.

She probably featured in the last U17 as a 15yrs old. Players repeating class is very common in our women football. If you recall, likes of Azizat Oshoala played the U20 twice. Even Desire Oparanozie played U17 twice. Just to mention a few.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 10:03am On Feb 07
Icon4s:

She probably featured in the last U17 as a 15yrs old. Players repeating class is very common in our women football. If you recall, likes of Azizat Oshoala played the U20 twice. Even Desire Oparanozie played U17 twice. Just to mention a few.

To me if it was up to 10 of the past U17 last that were recalled back for this edition, I believe we should be raising an eyebrow but they’re not even up to 5 so wats the big deal there.. And there’s every possibility that the 5 might not even make the final World Cup roster if we qualify..!
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 2:27pm On Feb 07
AkinDS:
Sorry, but the philosophy behind U17 is NOT to have repetitions... U17 is supposed to be developmental, which means you do a stint and move on to the next level.
Both Etim and Afolabi have NO business playing again for U17. That so called 'experience' is a misnomer and has actually stifled growth and development for others who would otherwise have been in the frame.
To me, its a silly justification of the inept approach and a convenient excuse for the incompetence of Nigerian coaches.
I mean, what 'experience' is a '17 year old' supposed to have? Seriously?
The overlords behind this are most likely the same one that wanted Captain to continue to waste bench space in Falcons. Cos it truly does not make any iota of sense and is even bad for the players themselves imo.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:04pm On Feb 07
AkinDS:
Sorry, but the philosophy behind U17 is NOT to have repetitions... U17 is supposed to be developmental, which means you do a stint and move on to the next level.
Both Etim and Afolabi have NO business playing again for U17. That so called 'experience' is a misnomer and has actually stifled growth and development for others who would otherwise have been in the frame.
To me, its a silly justification of the inept approach and a convenient excuse for the incompetence of Nigerian coaches.
I mean, what 'experience' is a '17 year old' supposed to have? Seriously?

There is no philosophy. If a player is within the age bracket they should be allowed to compete. Now if u have proof that these players are older than they say then be my guest. I have no issue standing down to facts but that being said, if a player has played under a coach and knows his system in and out, that is part of experience. If that player also went through the qualification process all the way to the world cup, that is also big time experience that her teammates don't have.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:05pm On Feb 07
daveP:
The overlords behind this are most likely the same one that wanted Captain to continue to waste bench space in Falcons. Cos it truly does not make any iota of sense and is even bad for the players themselves imo.

It worked out for Rasheedat Ajibade.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:03pm On Feb 07
BascoVanVeli:

Rasheedat Ajibade, Chiwendu Ihezuo played the U17 and U20 World Cup twice, did this in anyway affect their development or progress as players??. They were both starters in all the editions they played at. So I’m still wondering why they’re still faulting Afolabi and Etim inclusion.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 5:25pm On Feb 07
BascoVanVeli:

If only 1 she is an exception. Besides she looks even younger than Etim at same grade.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:57pm On Feb 07
daveP:
If only 1 she is an exception. Besides she looks even younger than Etim at same grade.

Okay use Barcelona's Claudia Pina to calm ur nerves. We can talk about thisafter we bash South Africa

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 3:33am On Feb 08
Coach Godwin Izilien is dead.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 3:35am On Feb 08
naptu2:
The Super Falcons also staged a sit-in protest after the African Women's Championship in South Africa in 2004. They refused to leave their hotel until they were paid.

Consequently they missed their flight to Nigeria and became stranded. President Olusegun Obasanjo had to send the presidential jet to pick them up.

Agony of ex-Super Falcons coach, Godwin Izilien 12 years after Nations Cup triumph in South Africa

By Gowon Akpodonor |   30 December 2016   |   2:04 am

In 2004, Coach Godwin Izilein led the Super Falcons to win the African Nations Cup in Johannesburg, South Africa. It was the fourth AWC title for Nigeria.

Twelve years down the line, the coach, now 74 years old, and the rest of his coaching crew are still being owed salary arrears of over $28,750, out of which, $12,000 of the amount belongs to Izilien.

As in the case of the Coach Florence Omagbemi-led Super Falcons squad that won the recently concluded 2016 African Women’s Nations cup in Cameroun, the team to the 2004 AWC in Jo’burg was not given any chance by the then NFA board led by Alhaji Ibrahim Galadima before their departure for that championship.

With determination, however, Izilien and his players fought and won the battle, beating the Lionesses of Cameroun 5-0 in the final with Perpetua Nkwocha (now an assistant coach of the team) accounting for four goals plus a late strike from pocket dynamite, Vera Okolo.

Millions of football-loving Nigerians back home celebrated the victory late into the night, but unknown to them, Coach Izilien, members of his coaching crew and the players were being subjected to derision in far away Johannesburg.

Sensing another round foul play when the Galadima-led NFA defaulted in paying all entitlements after the competition, the girls protested by refusing to leave their hotel rooms the next morning for the airport, insisting on getting their camp allowances and winning bonuses.

“The team was abandoned by the Federal Government delegation, but as a coach and father to the players at that point in time, I had to stay back with them until the Nigeria Consulate intervened by paying the players’ entitlements,” Izilien recalled in a chat with The Guardian yesterday. “I took the pain to stay back with them because abandoning the girls at that point would be seen as unprofessional. But I was pleading with them to end the protest since we were in another country, but they refused.

“So many Nigerians who did not even know what transpired between me and the players in Johannesburg started to spread rumour back home that I instigated the players to embark on the protest. Some ‘bad belle’ people even went as far as saying that they saw us displaying Biafran flag while protesting on the streets of Johannesburg. I am an Edo man, and I have not seen a Biafran flag in my entire life. All the rumour were meant to spoil the mind of then President Olusegun Obasanjo and members of the Federal Executive Council,” he said.

Speaking further, Izilien, who also led the National U-17 team, Golden Eagles, to the African Championship in The Gambia in 1995 said: “Some of the Super Falcons players I took to South Africa in 2004 were relatively young. I discovered them during school competitions, and it is only fair that government should have appreciated my efforts. I am only using this medium to appeal to President Muhammadu Buhari, the Vice President, Prof. Yomi Osibanjo, Senate President, Bukola Saraki, members of the Senate Committee on Sports, House of Representatives and indeed all well meaning Nigerians to come to my rescue. It hurts me on daily basis whenever I remember the sacrifices I made for the country, and how I have been neglected in return. The players got their money, so why should I continue to suffer? Many governments have come and gone, but I will be very grateful to the Buhari administration if he could pay us the equivalent of that money. It is a way of rewarding excellence and fulfilling Federal Government’s promises.

“I have written several letters to concerned authorities without a single reply; I am suffering after being neglected by the football authority. To think that I agreed to handle the female national team at a time of crisis without asking for extra remuneration, and to be treated in this manner is not encouraging for the growth of the game. I did it out of patriotism for fatherland.

“We were promised payments on arrival in Nigeria after the championship, but till date nobody has said anything about that money,” Coach Izilien added.

https://guardian.ng/sport/agony-of-ex-super-falcons-coach-godwin-izilien-12-years-after-nations-cup-triumph-in-south-africa/

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 8:59am On Feb 08
naptu2:
Coach Godwin Izilien is dead.
Is it not same coach who lamented last year on channelstv sports that he was owed his salary by NFF for decades?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 9:01am On Feb 08
GeneralDae:

Is it not same coach who lamented last year on channelstv sports that he was owed his salary by NFF for decades?

It is. I posted his interview above.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BankyGee(m): 5:03pm On Feb 08
Chiamaka Nnadozie 🤝🏾 Stanley Nwabali

It's safe to say our both national team goalies are the best on the continent! 🔥🇳🇬💚
Osimhen and Oshoala did it last year, Chiamaka and Nwabali this year 😤🧤

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:32pm On Feb 08
Bay FC set to unveil new Player….!

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:45pm On Feb 08
SuperFalcons Defender Onyi Zogg….!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 11:04am On Feb 09
Ajibade with 2 Assists yesterday night to knockout realmadrid from copa de rey cup

This Realmadrid project is failing
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by ekehopp2: 4:09pm On Feb 09
ekehopp2:

2024 African U-17 Women's World Cup qualification
Central African Republic 0 – 6 Nigeria
4 February 2024
Another streaming link (Pure, with no streamer commentary:

https://web.facebook.com/discipleschoolafrica/videos/1130414614811694

2024 African U-17 Women's World Cup qualification
Second Leg game just started
Nigeria vs Central African Republic
Nigeria won first leg away 0 - 6 on 4th February 2024
9th February 2024
Streaming link by usual suspects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpXrDk-qJkc

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 4:14pm On Feb 09
Nigeria 1-0 CAR

Chidi Harmony (2nd minute).

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 4:18pm On Feb 09
Nigeria 2-0 CAR

Chidi Harmony (14th minute)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 4:55pm On Feb 09
Nigeria 3-0 CAR

Ojiyovwi Kesiena Tessy (36th minute).

Now 9-0 on aggregate.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 5:19pm On Feb 09
Nigeria 4-0 CAR.

Kareem Ramota (55th minute).

10-0 on aggregate.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:48pm On Feb 09
Yewandeful

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:49pm On Feb 09
5-0
That was wonderful by Ramota
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:53pm On Feb 09
MULTITALENTED Kabange Mupopo has found her way back in the Copper Queens squad close to a decade after she quit football to fully focus on athletics.

Copper Queens coach Bruce Mwape has named Mupopo in his 30 – woman provision squad ahead of 2024 Olympics qualifier against Ghana.

Mupopo was part of the Zambia team that played at the Women Africa Cup of Nations (WAfCON) that was staged in Namibia in 2014. Mupopo was a gold medalist at the 2015 All-Africa Games in Congo Brazzaville.

In 2018, her Athletics shine was dimmed when she was handed a four-year ban by the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) after testing positive for a prohibited substance at the 2017 World Championships.

Last year, she returned to football, turning up for Green Buffaloes and coach Bruce Mwape has handed her a call up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (983) (984) (985) (986) (987) (988) (989) ... (1071) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.