Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:43 AM

1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. (18335 Views)

The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo) / Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner / Buhari Is Allowing Other Ethnic Groups To Kill Our People - Miyetti Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 9:30am On Oct 16, 2016
Okeycima:
cool I have seen them,but is there any chance of getting them on hard copy?

Those are colonial documents. Getting hard copies will be hard.

You can always make them hard copies yourself by printing them out and binding them.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Okeycima: 1:35pm On Oct 16, 2016
Igboid:

Those are colonial documents. Getting hard copies will be hard.

You can always make them hard copies yourself by printing them out and binding them.
aiite boss
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by orisa37: 12:02pm On May 23, 2020
AZIKWE was the first Governors. General of NIGERIA. Why didn't he conduct a Census? Why are the Ndiigbos so trickish, funny, cunning and always wanting to use the Yorubas as Bates to achieve nefarious advantages?
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by orisa37: 12:07pm On May 23, 2020
The 1931 colonial population figures ranked the major Nigerian groups as follows:

1 Hausa

2. Igbo

3. Yoruba

4. Fulani

5. Kanuri

6. Ibibio

7.Tiv

8. Edo

9. Nupe

10. Ijaw

The above List is fake.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Gambit23: 6:50pm On Jun 14, 2021
omonnakoda:

Stop telling stupid lies that have already been debunked. There was no census in 1933. I challenge you to prove otherwise. THe British did an estimate and it is clear their premises were not well informed. Again you tell stupid lies when you say groups were captured. I already addressed this before. No Itsekiri ,No Urhobo,No Ogoni and the list is endless.
There was no credible census in Nigeria before 1950s and even those were hotly disputed but that is the first time there were real censuses in Nigeria. The others were all based on guesses and projections taken at different times(several years apart) in very limited parts of the country

Please tell us what are these figures based on
Is it a census. Simple YES OR NO

Then tell us what year the Census was conducted before being reported in 1933.

Please answer these two simple questions and stop all the dodging and ducking

Itshekiri n Urhobo were all counted under edo
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Gambit23: 6:53pm On Jun 14, 2021
Igboid:
For example, in CIA world fact book. You find ridiculous claims like this:

Hausa and Fulani

29%
Yoruba

21%
Igbo

18%
Ijaw

10%
Kanuri

4%
Ibibio

3.5%
Tiv

2.5%

Who exactly came up with those ridiculous numbers?

In what planet are Yorubas more populous than Ndiigbo?

This information from CIA world fact book seem to have originated from Nigerian sources and was politicized before submission to them.
It simply has no source or ground. Just from thin air and must be debunked until Nigeria adds space for ethnicity in the next census.

These figures cannot come from CIA world fact booo sha
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Gambit23: 6:54pm On Jun 14, 2021
MayorofLagos:
Igboid,
You ibos told us that Yoruba was limited to Oyo only and that Lagos is Awori, Ogun is Ijebu and Egba, Ondo and Ekiti are Ijesha and Ekiti people, Kwara is fulani.

So the population you are looking at coincides with the era Ibos concluded as distinct people of Western region identifying by their dialect and is excluded from Yoruba,which according to you is OYO only.

So, the population count you are looking at and giving comparison is just Oyo against entire Iboland.

How do you feel?

How can a human being sit down & comfortably write trash?
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Gambit23: 6:56pm On Jun 14, 2021
Igboid:
How exactly did the Ijaws rise from 10th in 1931 to claiming 4th today, ahead of Kanuri, Ibibio, Edo,Nupe,and Tiv.

Are they saying that men from the above mentioned groups stopped reproducing, while the Ijaws reproduction rate quadrupled?

The ijaw numbers today na total joke
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Gambit23: 6:57pm On Jun 14, 2021
MrDude:
Una no serious.

angry

Hausa/fulani - terrorism

Yoruba - Internet fraud

Igbo - drug Lords

Terrorism + Internet fraud + drug pushing = battered, shattered, irreparable tainted international image to detriment of this hell hole called Nigeria.

Yall so called big three tribes are largely the sole reason why this country is what it is today. We in the minority tribes deserve a downright apology as una (hausa, Igbo and yoruba) don spoil all our name finish come make us dey carry cross wey no be ours dammit, fuuuk yall! angry angry

Edo nko?
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Gambit23: 7:03pm On Jun 14, 2021
alizma:

this is just one of the problems with the igbos and that is why you keep on failing in politics. you are so much buried in the past figures that you have lost your analytical skills. I will ask you just few questions and I hope you answer them sincerely.
1)do you understand both arithmetic and geometric progressions(A.P&G.P)?
2) do you agree with me that between the period, 1933 and now, the average woman marriage by a Yoruba man can be reasonably put at 2 while that of an Igbo man can be put at 1?
3) do you also agreed that going by the number 2 above, average children in a Yoruba man's household can be reasonably put at 8 while that of an Igbo man can be put at 4?
4) if you agree with me, 80% on the above, going by your understanding of A.P and G.P, which tribe in 2016 should have a higher population?

Ur 4 questions are stupid, baseless, senseless n false
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by wildernessVoice: 7:04pm On Jun 14, 2021
The figure for Northern Nigeria is inaccurate because the north is not only hausas.
My state have Ngas, Taroh, Berom, Irigwe, Anaguta, Jarawa, Amo, Rukuba and many other ethnic nationalities.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by alizma: 7:15pm On Jun 14, 2021
Gambit23:

Ur 4 questions are stupid, baseless, senseless n false
Sorry to disappoint you, I won't stoop low to your level, if you have valid point to prove me wrong, bring it up cos I am willing to learn. But if you guys are going to continue arguing without practical points you will never leave where you are.
First thing to overcoming a challenge is to embrace the facts on ground and then find a way to turn around those fact to your instrument.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by TrueNigerian300: 8:00pm On Jun 14, 2021
Smh. What is there to be proud about being the largest tribe with all the chaos across the country. Yorubas are more than Ibos, hausas are more than fulanis when will these foolishness stop.

Going by the data posted by the OP, the difference between the population of Ibos and Yourbas was just 6,635. Now the ibos claimed that 3 millions Ibos died doing the civil war, if an average Ibos and Yorubas give birth to the same number of children. Are you saying there won't be more Yorubas than Ibos considering the fact that 3 millions Ibos died during the war? Again about 50% percent of Yorubas are muslims meaning there is high chance of Yorubas practicing polygamy than the Ibos.

Finally, am I saying there are more Yorubas than the Ibos? No, but with the data you presented yourself and civil war factor against the Ibos and the polygamy factor for the Yourbas. There is high chance that there are more Yorubas than Ibos I do not have the data for this but it is a common sense couple with logical reasoning. Let us stop all these useless arguments that benefit no one.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Gambit23: 8:15pm On Jun 14, 2021
alizma:

Sorry to disappoint you, I won't stoop low to your level, if you have valid point to prove me wrong, bring it up cos I am willing to learn. But if you guys are going to continue arguing without practical points you will never leave where you are.
First thing to overcoming a challenge is to embrace the facts on ground and then find a way to turn around those fact to your instrument.

Ur questions are hopeless
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Gambit23: 8:16pm On Jun 14, 2021
TrueNigerian300:
Smh. What is there to be proud about being the largest tribe with all the chaos across the country. Yorubas are more than Ibos, hausas are more than fulanis when will these foolishness stop.

Going by the data posted by the OP, the difference between the population of Ibos and Yourbas was just 6,635. Now the ibos claimed that 3 millions Ibos died doing the civil war, if an average Ibos and Yorubas give birth to the same number of children. Are you saying there won't be more Yorubas than Ibos considering the fact that 3 millions Ibos died during the war? Again about 50% percent of Yorubas are muslims meaning there is high chance of Yorubas practicing polygamy than the Ibos.

Finally, am I saying there are more Yorubas than the Ibos? No, but with the data you presented yourself and civil war factor against the Ibos and the polygamy factor for the Yourbas. There is high chance that there are more Yorubas than Ibos I do not have the data for this but it is a common sense couple with logical reasoning. Let us stop all these useless arguments that benefit no one.

50% of yorubas aren't muslims pls
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by TrueNigerian300: 8:27pm On Jun 14, 2021
Gambit23:

50% of yorubas aren't muslims pls

Learn to read and comprehend I used the word about. Nobody has the data of the number of yoruba muslims or christians population. But people use common sense to determine that it is on almost equal numbers. Same way it is safe to say Ibo muslims are less than 1% of Ibos population, does anyone have the data for this as well. The answer is no it is just common sense. You guys should learn to read and comprehend.

Always choose logic over emotion!!!
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Gambit23: 8:41am On Jun 15, 2021
TrueNigerian300:

Learn to read and comprehend I used the word about. Nobody has the data of the number of yoruba muslims or christians population. But people use common sense to determine that it is on almost equal numbers. Same way it is safe to say Ibo muslims are less than 1% of Ibos population, does anyone have the data for this as well. The answer is no it is just common sense. You guys should learn to read and comprehend.

Always choose logic over emotion!!!

Shut up n dnt spread us stupidity beyond did point.

Population of Yoruba muslims isn't 50%. Look for something more meaningful to say

1 Like

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by TrueNigerian300: 1:27pm On Jun 16, 2021
Gambit23:

Shut up n dnt spread us stupidity beyond did point.

Population of Yoruba muslims isn't 50%. Look for something more meaningful to say

Fool what is it then? I know you are controlled by your emotion rather than logic. The question to you is how many are they? Where did you get your data from ? What is the percentage of ibo muslims and what is your source?
You are a very illogical and foolish person if you can't answer those questions.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Dbboy(m): 1:47pm On Jun 16, 2021
MrDude:
Una no serious.

angry

Hausa/fulani - terrorism

Yoruba - Internet fraud

Igbo - drug Lords

Terrorism + Internet fraud + drug pushing = battered, shattered, irreparable tainted international image to detriment of this hell hole called Nigeria.

Yall so called big three tribes are largely the sole reason why this country is what it is today. We in the minority tribes deserve a downright apology as una (hausa, Igbo and yoruba) don spoil all our name finish come make us dey carry cross wey no be ours dammit, fuuuk yall! angry angry

I guess militants is the exclusive preserve of what region again ?

Prostitution network is synonymous with what region pls?

Don't go there bro all tribes and region have there own bad eggs.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Gambit23: 2:07pm On Jun 16, 2021
TrueNigerian300:

Fool what is it then? I know you are controlled by your emotion rather than logic. The question to you is how many are they? Where did you get your data from ? What is the percentage of ibo muslims and what is your source?
You are a very illogical and foolish person if you can't answer those questions.

Muslims in Yoruba land are minority for starters, Yorubs land even have at least 2 christian states Ekiti and Ondo and no Muslim state. Only Christians have been ruling as Yoruba governors in all Yoruba for decades...

There is no single Yoruba state that is Muslim majority so how come they are 50/50
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by TrueNigerian300: 6:40pm On Jun 16, 2021
Good...atleast you have made a point here. But let this be cleared to you Nigeria state creation is a fraud. Stop using state to assume big population. The people of Ekiti are not more than than Ijebu people yet they have a state. Again, combine the population of Ekiti and Ondo and it is not more than Oyo state. Truly Ekiti and Ondo has huge population of Christians, but there are more Muslims in Oyo and Osun and even in Lagos I am not sure of Ogun. Now 80% of Kwara is yoruba and of that number more than 75% are muslims. When you do the maths then you can see that it is almost 50%/50% like I said.

So at the end my statement was valid but you just choose to suit yourself.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by orisa37: 6:55pm On Jun 16, 2021
IGBOS HAVE PERISHED DUE TO MONEY RITUALS. ABACHA SAID GIVE AN IGBO MAN N20, HE WOULD KILL HIS FATHER. INCREASE THE MONEY TO N50, HE WOULD KILL HIS FATHER, MOTHER, SISTERS, BROTHERS AND HIS WHOLE FAMILY.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:58pm On Jun 16, 2021
My only submission is that the civil war led to our loss of population. There's no way the three million that died in 1970 wouldn't have multiplied to 10 million people by now, added to our already existing population
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by TrueNigerian300: 8:37pm On Jun 16, 2021
Akwamkpuruamu:
My only submission is that the civil war led to our loss of population. There's no way the three million that died in 1970 wouldn't have multiplied to 10 million people by now, added to our already existing population

Great point....good to see we are seeing Ibos who can use logic here and not emotion. This is what I was telling your brother but he chose to live in denial. The fact is that there is still possibility that there are more Ibos than yorubas if the data was wrong on the population difference of about 7000. But there is no way that data could be right and Ibos will be more than yorubas given the two conditions I have given.

The guy is even very confused for saying muslims are minority in Yorubaland.

All these kind of arguments are actually useless to me but I was just trying to correct him based on the data he presented but he wouldn't listen.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Boko Haram Bomb Expert Arrested During Stop And Search Operation. Photo / APC NWC FINAL Decisions On Screening Of Kogi Governorship Aspirants / Sanwo-olu Commissions 110-bed Maternal And Child Centre In Epe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.