Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,194 members, 7,953,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:54 PM

1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. (18344 Views)

The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo) / Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner / Buhari Is Allowing Other Ethnic Groups To Kill Our People - Miyetti Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by iamhorny(m): 6:34am On Oct 11, 2016
check out the of !921 which clearly stated it the igbos were more than half of southern Nigeria

It has been stated that the Sudanese constitute the majority of the people of southern Nigeria, with a total population (1921 census) of about 7,000,000. More than half of these are Ibo and about one-third are Yoruba. Population figures(1921) for the principal Sudanese groups are given in Table1.3

Table 1.3

Group population

Edo 472,000
Ibo 3,927,000
Ijaw 174,000
Popo Ewe 39,000
Yoruba 2,113,000
'Others' 34,000

The ibo have long been regarded as culturally homogeous the inhabit the most densely populated region of trans-Saharan Africa, have no tradition of migration from elsewhere, and appear to have settled in the thickly inhabited part of Nri-Awka and Isu-Ama areas for a very long period and to have spread out from there,their main expansion being southward, south-eastward, and eastward to the Cross River. They live on what was once forest land. The northern ibo area was originally forest, although it is now grassland, but even here the village settlements lie among plam trees and degenerate forest which, protected from annual burning, has grown up around them in the course of the centuries.
Ibo political organization resemble that of the semi-bantu speaking groups of the Eastern Province. There are no chiefs or heads of village or larger groups, and no kingdoms or large city-dwelling communities as are found amongst the yoruba to the west of the Niger. Their environment and their numbers have protected them from attacks from outside have allowed them to concentrate almost exclusively on agriculture and trade.

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=QTFekkFi_GkC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Physical+Anthropology+of+southern+Nigeria&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD8KmI4c7PAhVEvRQKHS42AsAQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=Physical%20Anthropology%20of%20southern%20Nigeria&f=false
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4337252_img20161009235807_jpegff9ed0b269dc554fc0f91aedc797e4c6

4 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by iamhorny(m): 6:35am On Oct 11, 2016
now check out the fulani population in 1921
Like the Hausa, the nomad fulani are found in greatest strength in Kano(1,112,000) and sokoto(367,000), with some 250,000 in Bauchi. Their total population (1921) is about 2,000,000. Only one other groups from the northern province, the kanuri, is included in the survey.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4337264_img20161009235854_jpeg33ac4ee5d8b9a5243a3b2e4a7a96b016

4 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by iamhorny(m): 6:37am On Oct 11, 2016

1 Like

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by iamhorny(m): 6:39am On Oct 11, 2016

6 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by iamhorny(m): 6:39am On Oct 11, 2016

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by omonnakoda: 6:40am On Oct 11, 2016
A meaningless report .There was no census in 1931. A so called estimate that does not list Edo ,Itsekiri,Urhobo,Ogoni,Efik,Igala,Ebira,Idoma,Igala,Jukun and so on? Maybe they arrived in Nigeria after 1931.
WHAT ABOUT NORTHERN CAMEROON
that was part of Nigeria until after 1960 . WHAT ETHNIC GROUPS WERE THERE and what was the population. People need to learn their history better

Let us not waste time arguing over an irrelevance.

It is just guesswork that was done very lazily and lists inaccurately the ethnic groups in the country

14 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by iamhorny(m): 6:40am On Oct 11, 2016
ANOTHER DOCUMENT SHOWING THE POPULATION OF NIGERIA IN 1920

Ibos were the largest from the south(Owerri and Onitsha province alone chop the combination of abeokuta,ijebu,ondo and oyo province join together)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4337300_3239992ctj9vtuveaijaqejpeg3d9e7076b3ed17570840fd8c787f86a5_jpegd8ec9b2c700b2c4592b481037982617c

7 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by alizma: 6:41am On Oct 11, 2016
Igboid:
This is interesting.

The 1931 colonial population figures ranked the major Nigerian groups as follows:

1 Hausa

2. Igbo

3. Yoruba

4. Fulani

5. Kanuri

6. Ibibio

7.Tiv

8. Edo

9. Nupe

10. Ijaw.

The 1921 estimate also placed Ndiigbo ahead of Yorubas.

Nigeria has not conducted a population census with space for ethnic group composition of the country since 1960.
Yet since the end of the war, there have been this subtle propaganda, that seems to place Yoruba population ahead of those of Ndiigbo, even though there no recent data to prove that, and the colonial documents of 1921 and 1931 that I just posted seem to be saying otherwise.
This to me is a misinformation that must be corrected.

There has never been a time Yorubas were more populous than Ndiigbo.

On a side note. The Ijaws claim to being 4th largest can also be seen to be bogus, going by this 1931 population projection, Ijaws are at most 7th.

NB: The colonial were well aware of Yoruba communities indigenous to the North. Read the last part of the attachment below.

this is just one of the problems with the igbos and that is why you keep on failing in politics. you are so much buried in the past figures that you have lost your analytical skills. I will ask you just few questions and I hope you answer them sincerely.
1)do you understand both arithmetic and geometric progressions(A.P&G.P)?
2) do you agree with me that between the period, 1933 and now, the average woman marriage by a Yoruba man can be reasonably put at 2 while that of an Igbo man can be put at 1?
3) do you also agreed that going by the number 2 above, average children in a Yoruba man's household can be reasonably put at 8 while that of an Igbo man can be put at 4?
4) if you agree with me, 80% on the above, going by your understanding of A.P and G.P, which tribe in 2016 should have a higher population?

12 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by iamhorny(m): 6:43am On Oct 11, 2016

4 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by iamhorny(m): 6:46am On Oct 11, 2016
some yoruba sub division

1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by omonnakoda: 6:47am On Oct 11, 2016
iamhorny:
ANOTHER DOCUMENT SHOWING THE POPULATION OF NIGERIA IN 1920

Ibos were the largest from the south

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4337300_3239992ctj9vtuveaijaqejpeg3d9e7076b3ed17570840fd8c787f86a5_jpegd8ec9b2c700b2c4592b481037982617c
We can see that this are all guess work . What is the population of Owerri TODAY. The fact that something is written in a book by white folk does not mean we do not ask the basis. Simple question. What is the source and basis of those numbers and also the territories described. e,g What did Owerri Mean? Was there no Port Harcourt or Aba.

9 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by MayorofLagos(m): 6:50am On Oct 11, 2016
EternalTruths:

Kabba and Ilorin are regions occupied by many tribes that is why the Colonial administrators did it by tribe.

So your submission is wrong

Hahaha...so only Yoruba Provinces are populated by diversities, no other region has diversity?

You guys just talk out of same hole you pass fart and is why your numbers and statements stink!

Yoruba is your father!

7 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by gidgiddy: 7:05am On Oct 11, 2016
ChimaAdeoye:
[size=14pt]ALL THE FORGERY OF POPULATION FIGURE IS BECAUSE THEY WANT TO STEAL NIGER DELTA OIL!

RESTRUCTURE NIGERIA AS A TRUE FEDERATION AND ALL THESE LIES AND CHEATING WILL BE NEEDLESS AND WILL SIMPLY DISAPPEAR.
[/size]

Nigeria can never be restructured for the same reason some people say that Biafra will never materialise. The North would rather fight another civil war than let either scenario occur. Igbos are the only ethnic group who realise that Nigeria is a 'Northern controlled prison'.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Armaggedon: 7:13am On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:
We can see that this are all guess work . What is the population of Owerri TODAY. The fact that something is written in a book by white folk does not mean we do not ask the basis. Simple question. What is the source and basis of those numbers and also the territories described. e,g What did Owerri Mean? Was there no Port Harcourt or Aba.
port harcourt was i think within owerri

Igbos are bigger than yorubas. Am not boasting about it but the truth must be said.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by princdebola201(m): 7:14am On Oct 11, 2016
You guys should not take igboid serious, the guy is a direct descedant of chinua achebe the great history revisionist

7 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by darelar(m): 7:33am On Oct 11, 2016
I wonder why people still complain about bulk vote from North, when they have this kind of population as at 1930's.

4 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by omonnakoda: 7:34am On Oct 11, 2016
Armaggedon:
port harcourt was i think within owerri

Igbos are bigger than yorubas. Am not boasting about it but the truth must be said.
Igbos that have no history and were found nakedd by Europeans?bigger than Yorubas? There are More Yorubas in Benin Republic alone than there are Igbos.

You think Port Harcourt was within Owerri? Yes that would make a lot of sense in an Igbo head and no where else

8 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by nwabobo: 7:55am On Oct 11, 2016
MayorofLagos:
To Ibos, here is your reality.

This is addition of Ilorin + Kabba + Colony + Abeokuta + Ijebu + Ondo + Oyo.

Where did you put the Fulanis in Ilorin? grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Chinachriss(m): 7:58am On Oct 11, 2016
I think Owerri comprised Ibo groups that now make up Imo, Abia, part of Ebonyi like Afikpo region and Igbos in Rivers. Onitsha went with those within the present day Anambra, Anioma, Enugu and the other part of Ebonyi.

2 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Chinachriss(m): 8:01am On Oct 11, 2016
I think Owerri comprised Ibo groups that now make up Imo, Abia, part of Ebonyi like Afikpo region and Igbos in Rivers. Onitsha went with those within the present day Anambra, Anioma, Enugu and the other part of Ebonyi. Seriously Igbos are thickly populated. Go to any state in Nigeria, Igbos come second after the indigenes except in extreme North plagued with Boko. You can quote me anywhere. I reside in Akwa Ibom and after the locals here, Igbos dominate. Not chest beating though but this is the gospel truth.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by EasternPride: 8:11am On Oct 11, 2016
Chinachriss:
I think Owerri comprised Ibo groups that now make up Imo, Abia, part of Ebonyi like Afikpo region and Igbos in Rivers. Onitsha went with those within the present day Anambra, Anioma, Enugu and the other part of Ebonyi. Seriously Igbos are thickly populated. Go to any state in Nigeria, Igbos come second after the indigenes except in extreme North plagued with Boko. You can quote me anywhere. I reside in Akwa Ibom and after the locals here, Igbos dominate. Not chest beating though but this is the gospel truth.

The last line is true because I am in Uyo now, and when u go to any big business premise, my friend will say speak Igbo.

My "nwanne kedu?" Always gets answered by "Udo, ibiala".

9 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by LaClickLaBend: 8:20am On Oct 11, 2016
you know how many ibos died during the civil war?....of cos their numbers have greatly reduced now

2 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Chinachriss(m): 8:21am On Oct 11, 2016
EasternPride:

The last line is true because I am in Uyo now, and when u go to any big business premise, my friend will say speak Igbo.

My "nwanne kedu?" Always gets answered by "Udo, ibiala".

Eziokwu ka i kwuru. I wonder what happened to Igbo population despite been decimated during the Civil war, our population spiralled. We mainly practise monogamy but we are still everywhere. Something tells me our population is truly undermined. Even in the universities, after the indigenes, Igbos take over. In my level in Uniuyo, we are up to 25 Igbos out of I80 Akwa Ibomites and Cross Riverians not even a single Northerner or Westerner. If you go to Universities in South West, same occurrence. There is something striking about this. Our Chi is strong o o!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by iamhorny(m): 8:51am On Oct 11, 2016
Chinachriss:

and not just in Nigeria, outside Nigeria,they are usually the largest single ethnic diaspora apart from uk where you have alot of yorubas too....

they are just everywhere..when you go to most of the west African countries, you feel you are in Nigeria duly because of the igbo presence, once you have left the igbo areas that is when you will begin to feel that you are not in your country..

most west/central Africans countries alternate igbo with Nigeria.

In Cameroon, it is even worse, you are either Nigerian or igbo

just imagine how igbos are competiting with yoruba population in Lagos(of which i believe strongly that the igbos are more than the yorubas in lagos now), and that is just Lagos. go to abuja, kano, benin, warri, minna, kaduna, uyo, calabar, yenegoa, yola, duste, markurdi, lokoja, ilorin just to mention a few. after the indigenous language speakers, the largest non indigenous speakers are usually the igbos and they surpass every other non indigenous speaker by far..

how come you don't see the yorubas like that in those places and if we assume the yorubas dont travel like the igbos, how come in their cities, towns and villages you see large igbo communities and yet the east as it is is still densely populated( the east is not empty or deserted due to igbo migration)..

only an ignorant person or a bigot wont see it from that angle.

anyway they say Nigeria belongs to the hausa fulani, with the servant slave the ......, what do you expect, one the master have taken his number(majority share), he would be right to give his servant slave theirs too(peanuts just to feel among) so as not to make the slave revolt and also to keep the hegemony running, while the rest of us from the exploited lower delta and our neighbours from the upper delta can go to hell....but time is fast running out on them, we are learning our history and it will be our strength.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by EternalTruths: 8:54am On Oct 11, 2016
MayorofLagos:

Hahaha...so only Yoruba Provinces are populated by diversities, no other region has diversity?

You guys just talk out of same hole you pass fart and is why your numbers and statements stink!

Yoruba is your father!

If you had not be jumping school fence when you attended secondary school, you would have known that the British knew Nigerians by tribe that is why they conducted a census based on tribe

13 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 8:56am On Oct 11, 2016
LaClickLaBend:
you know how many ibos died during the civil war?....of cos their numbers have greatly reduced now

It was mainly children that died, due to starvation.
They would have immediately been replaced by the parents immediately after the civil war.
Biafrans Army lost 1/3 of the men lost by Nigerian Army.

You submission couldn't have shifted the balance towards Yorubas.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 8:59am On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:
Igbos that have no history and were found nakedd by Europeans?bigger than Yorubas? There are More Yorubas in Benin Republic alone than there are Igbos.

You think Port Harcourt was within Owerri? Yes that would make a lot of sense in an Igbo head and no where else

Yorubas were said to be barbaric by their Hausa-Fulani masters during colonization. There is simply no evidence of a Yoruba civilization greater than that of Ndiigbo.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 9:01am On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:

That was for Owerri province, which included current Imo/Abia and Northern Igbo speaking Rivers state, not the Owerri city.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by DAramis: 9:06am On Oct 11, 2016
Igboid:
This is interesting.

The 1931 colonial population figures ranked the major Nigerian groups as follows:

1 Hausa

2. Igbo

3. Yoruba

4. Fulani

5. Kanuri

6. Ibibio

7.Tiv

8. Edo

9. Nupe

10. Ijaw.

The 1921 estimate also placed Ndiigbo ahead of Yorubas.

Nigeria has not conducted a population census with space for ethnic group composition of the country since 1960.
Yet since the end of the war, there have been this subtle propaganda, that seems to place Yoruba population ahead of those of Ndiigbo, even though there no recent data to prove that, and the colonial documents of 1921 and 1931 that I just posted seem to be saying otherwise.
This to me is a misinformation that must be corrected.

There has never been a time Yorubas were more populous than Ndiigbo.

On a side note. The Ijaws claim to being 4th largest can also be seen to be bogus, going by this 1931 population projection, Ijaws are at most 7th.

NB: The colonial were well aware of Yoruba communities indigenous to the North. Read the last part of the attachment below.

Please upload the document where this information is gotten from.

I need to read it myself.

Thanks.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 9:07am On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:
A meaningless report .There was no census in 1931. A so called estimate that does not list Edo ,Itsekiri,Urhobo,Ogoni,Efik,Igala,Ebira,Idoma,Igala,Jukun and so on? Maybe they arrived in Nigeria after 1931.
WHAT ABOUT NORTHERN CAMEROON
that was part of Nigeria until after 1960 . WHAT ETHNIC GROUPS WERE THERE and what was the population. People need to learn their history better

Let us not waste time arguing over an irrelevance.

It is just guesswork that was done very lazily and lists inaccurately the ethnic groups in the country

Those groups you mentioned were too insignificant for the British annual report to capture.
They simply focused on the bigger groups that constituted the bulk of the population of the province.

If you go through the report, they mentioned about Cameroon part of Nigeria.

There was Bamenda too. But the British perhaps didn't consider those Cameroonian parts as full fledged part of the country.
Moreover, the population of those groups you are bringing up is irrelevant to this thread. Nigeria has over 200 ethnic groups, you don't expect the report to drop off information on all of them.

12 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 9:08am On Oct 11, 2016
DAramis:

Please upload the document where this information is gotten from.

I need to read it myself.

Thanks.

Don't know how to upload link to a PDF file here.

But through this link, you can access the PDF files of the colonial reports of the 1930' s of Nigeria, including that of 1933, where I got the screenshots on the this thread from.
https://www.google.com/search?&q=Colonial+annual+report+of+Nigeria+1933

1 Like

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by EternalTruths: 9:14am On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:

Take your education seriously

Owerri province is bigger than Owerri town

That stats was done based on province

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife: Politicians Playing Nigerians Like Ludo, They're All The Same / FG Snubs Dangote Refinery To Export Crude Oil To Indonesia / Court Orders Gov Lamido, 3 Others To Pay APC Candidate N30m In Damages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.