Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? (35230 Views)

Truck Driver Refuses To Overtake A Rolls Royce Phantom In Lagos (video) / Hyperloop Releases New Images :how Would You Like To Travel At 1200 Km/h / Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 7:39pm On Jun 11, 2017
erico2k2:

How does 2 and 3 you quoted constitute a question? angry

1. Are you trolling me?

2. I believe you are trolling me.

3. You have been trolling me

From the 3 sentences above, would you reply only to 1 and forget about 2 and 3 because both doesnot have a question mark?

Anyways, am tired of it cause no matter how i try to explain, you either refuse understanding it, counter it or deliberatly move on to another matter. All has led us to nowhere so its pointless replying you. Done.

Lastly, if this is the only question
Can a car going at the speed of for instance 120km/ph overtake another car doing the same speed?
you deem fit for an answer, my answer is NO.

Hope you are happy now and would stay off my back with regards this 1 year old matter.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 7:45pm On Jun 11, 2017
ok mayB cos Im quoting U makes you feel so I have stopped.No need diverting from the subject at hand you are more than welcomed to stop replying.But fact remains there is only one question here and the answer is NO
people who have nothing logical or reasonable to say always end up with abusive and diverted statements.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by crowley(m): 10:28pm On Jun 11, 2017
lecturerdabo:
It is even possible for a car doing 100 to overtake you at ur 120 depending on

1. Engine size
2. Age
3. Rpmg(don't know if I got that right sha)
Etc

My belief tho!
Which school u go? do u even knw how speedometer works? as far ar ur speedometer reads 120km/h, nothing moving below or equal that speed can overtake u, be it spaceship or jet or Lamborghini. simple as dat.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by crowley(m): 10:38pm On Jun 11, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

In simple terms no

But speedometer are not accurate and also the size of the tyres affect the accurancy of the speedometer

Back to your question aslong both cars have been calibrated to measure the actual speed they wouldnt overtake each other
My dear tyre does nt affect speedometer. weda a catapiller tyre or a wheelbarrow tyre. do planes nd choppers use tyre on the air? but they have speedometers. so 4 fu€k sake, what d hell are u saying.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by ableguy(m): 10:40pm On Jun 11, 2017
crowley:

My dear tyre does nt affect speedometer. weda a catapiller tyre or a wheelbarrow tyre. do planes nd choppers use tyre on the air? but they have speedometers. so 4 fu€k sake, what d hell are u saying.

I tire ooo

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:23am On Jun 12, 2017
crowley:

remember i said tyre size not just simple typre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMs7w72QTVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfl3COWcRTo
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 4:33pm On Jun 12, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

remember i said tyre size not just simple typre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMs7w72QTVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfl3COWcRTo

A lot of guys wont still agree to it. Anyway, its a fact, its left for the open mind to understand.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 4:45pm On Jun 12, 2017
crowley:

Tire size does affect speedometer.

Planes and choppers dont measure speed the same way like cars.

Cars measure speed of the car while planes measure speed of the air around the plane. That is why km/h is not the same as knots.

1knot is 1.852km/h.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 4:47pm On Jun 12, 2017
crowley:

Planes and choppers dont measure speed the same way like cars.

Cars measure the distance covered by car with time while planes measure pressure of the air around the plane. That is why km/h is not the same as knots. You've heard air speed before.

1knot is 1.852km/h.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 12, 2017
The bottom line is if all things are equal, a car doing 100km/hr WILL NOT overtake a keke napep doing 100km/hr. They both will cover the same distance at the same time, so how will one overtake the other? Some people still think a mercedes benz E class doing 100km/hr is faster than a toyota corolla doing 120km/hr. This is so wrong. And some people get it twisted, some cars (especially cars imported from USA) are calbrated in MPH so when u are doing 62 u are actually doing 100. But some people will think that 62mph is km/hr.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by crowley(m): 8:19pm On Jun 12, 2017
adanny01:

Cars measure the distance covered by car with time while planes measure pressure of the air around the plane. That is why km/h is not the same as knots. You've heard air speed b4.

1knot is 1.852km/h.
pls check the mechanism of a car speedometer b4 mentioning me. am a robotics and automation student, so believe me, thats my field. lemme break it down. Speedometer relies on the wheels. that part u got right. but they are calculated by each complete circle. small magnets attached to the cars drive shaft triggers a magnectic sensor which is stationary which sends electric pulse to d speedometer therefor conveted to speed. so each time the wheels completes a circle, the magnet triggers d sensor on each pass. the faster d wheel rotates, d faster the pulse are received. nd u should knw smaller wheels completes full circles faster nd covers less distance, nd larger covers more distance but longer time to complete a circle.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by crowley(m): 8:51pm On Jun 12, 2017
adanny01:

Cars measure the distance covered by car with time while planes measure pressure of the air around the plane. That is why km/h is not the same as knots. You've heard air speed b4

1knot is 1.852km/h.
so therefore logically since a car with a larger wheel will cover more distance in fewer circles, there d mentality of larger wheels going at 100km/h will cover more distance that a smaller wheel going at 100km/h. grin But thats nt d case bcuz larger wheels will read slower than smaller wheels. so time it will take a large wheel to read 100km/h, a smaller wheel wud read 130km/h covering d same distance. so a constant is derived 4rm d wheel rotatin ratio which is then programmed to the car. 16" 17" 18" 19" wheels 4 cars nd 18"-21" for SUVs all have relative speed to the constant distance covered by d wheel. so 19" wheel would adjust its speedometer reading according. hence all reading are made constant irrelevant to wheel size

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 8:55pm On Jun 12, 2017
crowley:

pls check the mechanism of a car speedometer b4 mentioning me. am a robotics and automation student, so believe me, thats my field. lemme break it down. Speedometer relies on the wheels. that part u got right. but they are calculated by each complete circle. small magnets attached to the cars drive shaft triggers a magnectic sensor which is stationary which sends electric pulse to d speedometer therefor conveted to speed. so each time the wheels completes a circle, the magnet triggers d sensor on each pass. the faster d wheel rotates, d faster the pulse are received. nd u should knw smaller wheels completes full circles faster nd covers less distance, nd larger covers more distance but longer time to complete a circle.

I totally and 100% agree with you.

However, there are 2 things you have failed to take into account. Location of the sensor and the speedometer calibration? I wont bore you as an automotive engr in training, please look it up and inculcate in your theories.

Yes the sensor reads rotation, but is the speed sensor on the tires? Where is it usually located? Usually the transmission. So, how will the sensor know how many kilometers the tire has covered in one revolution of the transmission output? It will never know unless its calibrated to know. The calibration is the size of the tire as a constant.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 9:03pm On Jun 12, 2017
Guys the speed sensors are at the end of the drive shaft, where the spider gear meets it. some in the front some in the back some by the ABS
Down there circled in red is teh bit read by the magnet(speed sensor)

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 11:16pm On Jun 12, 2017
crowley:

so therefore logically since a car with a larger wheel will cover more distance in fewer circles, there d mentality of larger wheels going at 100km/h will cover more distance that a smaller wheel going at 100km/h. grin But thats nt d case bcuz larger wheels will read slower than smaller wheels. so time it will take a large wheel to read 100km/h, a smaller wheel wud read 130km/h covering d same distance. so a constant is derived 4rm d wheel rotatin ratio which is then programmed to the car. 16" 17" 18" 19" wheels 4 cars nd 18"-21" for SUVs all have relative speed to the constant distance covered by d wheel. so 19" wheel would adjust its speedometer reading according. hence all reading are made constant irrelevant to wheel size

On the black bolded, larger tires cover more distance per rotation.

On the green text; invert the assertion.

On the red text; LOL, 130km/h cannot be same as 100km/hr

Your whole post needs review.

Pls watch the videos shared by ZIMDRILL.

Also make research on google like this famous site shown below.

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by crowley(m): 12:49am On Jun 13, 2017
adanny01:

Have you programmed a car before?

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by crowley(m): 1:09am On Jun 13, 2017
adanny01:

I totally and 100% agree with you.

However, there are 2 things you have failed to take into account. Location of the sensor and the speedometer calibration? I wont bore you as an automotive engr in training, please look it up and inculcate in your theories.

Yes the sensor reads rotation, but is the speed sensor on the tires? Where is it usually located? Usually the transmission. So, how will the sensor know how many kilometers the tire has covered in one revolution of the transmission output? It will never know unless its calibrated to know. The calibration is the size of the tire as a constant.
Bro am tired.. i have dis-membered a car 4rm stratch nd rebuilt it, nd programmed it with all calibration. so i give up. i dont read articles online. this argument wud keep on till who knws when. BTW, no manufactural Would allow a car leave the company without proper calibration.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by crowley(m): 1:15am On Jun 13, 2017
adanny01:

and you must have heard abt the VSS right?

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by Conner44: 1:31am On Jun 13, 2017
ableguy:
Can a car going at the speed of for instance 120km/ph overtake another car doing the same speed? I have argued about this on several occasions, because I believe the speed clock or odometer should be like a clock that's always accurate and no clock goes faster than others.
I know car engine, horsepower and capabilities differ. But then I believe a car going at the same speed can't overtake the other.
If I am doing 120 km/hr for another car to overtake me it must be doing at least 125 or 130, car gurus in the house please help.

Let's say we both go to berger and purchase a VW beetle each and are to use it to race the next day

You take yours home and prepare for the race while I take mine to ladipo and switch in 16" rimmed tyres before going home

Come the next day because I have larger tyres I will be faster than you even if both our speedometers read the same 120kmph

Why? Simply because I have larger tyres

Assuming I didn't switch tyres we would be evenly matched in a race and It's that simple

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by crowley(m): 1:45am On Jun 13, 2017
adanny01:

not that i do not get what you are saying tho, but it does nt affect it. we have a camera room used for that specific reason tho.. sensor that bounce rays at light speeed of a moving vehicle. the camera records the car speed. and compare with the speedometer reading. its always be the same irrespective of the wheel size. and you knw a car automatically detects the size of a new wheel and calibrates itself so far the wheel is made 4 d car. and like i said b4, after calibration nd programming, the wheel size is irrelevant to what d the speedo Sensor nd VSS reads. they are both calibrated to get a constant. so a 30" running at 100km/h wud cover same distance as a 15" at 100km/h

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by crowley(m): 1:54am On Jun 13, 2017
Conner44:

Let's say we both go to berger and purchase a VW beetle each and are to use it to race the next day

You take yours home and prepare for the race while I take mine to ladipo and switch in 16" rimmed tyres before going home

Come the next day because I have larger tyres I will be faster than you even if both our speedometers read the same 120kmph

Why? Simply because I have larger tyres

Assuming I didn't switch tyres we would be evenly matched in a race and It's that simple
Even if he switch tyres, the car would detect it, and calibrated your readings accordingly. thats what i have been trying to explain to him. its part of one of the Functions of the custom speedlimiter installed by the company. your car knws whatever u do.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by Originalsly: 2:04am On Jun 13, 2017
couragee:
This should not be an argument, if a man is running at 120km/h, how can he overtake another running at that same speed. W 120 is 120 regardless of the vehicle. The distance between both cars remains the same.
Covering the same distance and overtaking are not the same. When we can understand the difference...only then we can understand why one car can overtake the other if both are travelling at the same speed.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by Conner44: 2:37am On Jun 13, 2017
crowley:

Even if he switch tyres, the car would detect it, and calibrated your readings accordingly. thats what i have been trying to explain to him. its part of one of the Functions of the custom speedlimiter installed by the company. your car knws whatever u do.

It depends on exactly where the speedlimiter is placed and the kind of car.

Also your car can't know everything that you do to it in terms of aftermarket upgrades that's why all cars come with manuals and factory recommended settings which they really don't want users altering.

Imagine I installed monster truck tyres on a regular VW beetle do you think it would know and recalibrate it's speedometer accordingly?

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by crowley(m): 3:16am On Jun 13, 2017
Conner44:

Also your car can't know everything that you do to it in terms of aftermarket upgrades that's why all cars come with manuals and factory recommended settings which they really don't want users altering.

Imagine I installed monster truck tyres on a regular VW beetle do you think it would know and recalibrate it's speedometer accordingly?
lol grin grin thats complete disvirgining of the car na. i doubt d speedometer would even work again grin grin grin grin like i said, a wheel made for that car. a car comes with a 15" Wheel, nd programmed to take upto 18" of that same brand make, installing a 20" would void the calibrations. yea. nd if its a fully computerized car, might even lock the car. manufacturers dnt like u messing around with their cars. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 1:53pm On Jun 13, 2017
crowley:

and you must have heard abt the VSS right?

This speed sensor is used by ABS and Vehicle stability system and cannot be used by the speedometer. The reason a speedometer cannot use it is because this sensor will report speed of individual wheels as against speed of the car. Imagine one tire losing complete traction and spinning freely and speedometer reading speed of one tire as car speed but car is stationary.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 1:55pm On Jun 13, 2017
crowley:

Have you programmed a car before?

I havent neither do i know how.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 2:01pm On Jun 13, 2017
Conner44:

True.

Using a monster tire on a VW beetle does not only requires recalibration of speedometer but the entire car.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 2:21pm On Jun 13, 2017
crowley:

If i smoke cigarette in my car, will my car know and open the windows for some fresh air? grin

I just wonder what system detects tire size.

TPMS measures tire pressure, what measures tire size?
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 2:21pm On Jun 13, 2017
adanny01:

This speed sensor is used by ABS and Vehicle stability system and cannot be used by the speedometer. The reason a speedometer cannot use it is because this sensor will report speed of individual wheels as against speed of the car. Imagine one tire losing complete traction and spinning freely and speedometer reading speed of one tire as car speed but car is stationary.
wrong it is.chk ur car it has anti skidding device fitted
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 2:46pm On Jun 13, 2017
erico2k2:

wrong it is.chk ur car it has anti skidding device fitted

My car has this sensor on all wheels. My car has ABS but not VSS.

Unplug one wheel connector and the ABS light illuminates but speedometer still works. My friends car has both VSS and ABS, one of the wheel speed sensor wire broke and both VSS and ABS illuminated. He drove the car for months and speedometer never stopped or misbehaved.

My car has nothing like anti skidding device. Note, VSS is the anti skidding device but my car does have it while it has the sensor he shared.

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 4:44pm On Jun 13, 2017
adanny01:

My car has this sensor on all wheels. My car has ABS but not VSS.

Unplug one wheel connector and the ABS light illuminates but speedometer still works. My friends car has both VSS and ABS, one of the wheel speed sensor wire broke and both VSS and ABS illuminated. He drove the car for months and speedometer never stopped or misbehaved.

My car has nothing like anti skidding device. Note, VSS is the anti skidding device but my car does have it while it has the sensor he shared.
Those are your abs sensors . The share same build as the speed sensors . Your speed sensor must be at your axle or end of ur drive shaft .

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 5:32pm On Jun 13, 2017
erico2k2:

Those are your abs sensors . The share same build as the speed sensors . Your speed sensor must be at tour axle or end of ur drive shaft .

Vehicle speed sensor is located in the transmission. Vehicle speed sensors are usually located at the transmission while wheel speed sensor is at the wheel.

Speedometer uses that of transmission (VSS).

ABS uses both (WSS and VSS)

Vehicle Stability Assist uses both too.

If either VSS or WSS goes bad, ABS and VSA stops working. If WSS goes bad speedometer is not affected.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Meet This Mechanophiliac That Has Sex With His Car / Security Personnels May Suspect Or Harrass You If You Drive These Vehicles / Rate This Car Transformation On A Scale Of 1-10.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.