Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,955 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? (35221 Views)

Truck Driver Refuses To Overtake A Rolls Royce Phantom In Lagos (video) / Hyperloop Releases New Images :how Would You Like To Travel At 1200 Km/h / Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 9:09pm On Jul 03, 2017
erico2k2:

The speed cameras do not use minutes, it just judge your speed, there are white lines marking on the road and the camera show a laser on this tract,, modern cameras use GPS to mark your speed on these locations too..The one on my way to work is 40 miles/hr with tolerance of just 2 Miles/hr, you do 42.1 miles/hr it flashes and you got a speeding ticket sent to you.,even if I Upgrade my tyres to 19 as Planning to do next week, I aint still going to utter my speedo.

How can a camera just read speed? Can my mobile phone camera read speed? No camera can read speed.

Speed is a relationship between distance and time. Take one out of the other, its no longer speed.

There is no speed without time. No speed measuring device can measure speed without time and distance.

U just mentioned white lines, do you know that these white lines are placed at a particular fixed distance apart? That is very important to tell the speed. Secondly, whether radar, infrared, Camera or GPS, the all have to measure the time you crossed the first white line to the time u crossed the second white line.

Kilometer / hour which is distance / time.

Speedometer sensor measures time by way of counting revolution while the size of tire provides the distance and together they become speed.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 9:26pm On Jul 03, 2017
adanny01:

How can a camera just read speed? Can my mobile phone camera read speed? No camera can read speed.

Speed is a relationship between distance and time. Take one out of the other, its no longer speed.

There is no speed without time. No speed measuring device can measure speed without time and distance.

U just mentioned white lines, do you know that these white lines are placed at a particular fixed distance apart? That is very important to tell the speed. Secondly, whether radar, infrared, Camera or GPS, the all have to measure the time you crossed the first white line to the time u crossed the second white line.

Kilometer / hour which is distance / time.

Speedometer sensor measures time by way of counting revolution while the size of tire provides the distance and together they become speed.
ok SInce you k now more about this speed camera, let me ask kindly now tell me how the speed Gun works then cos the speed Gun is a mobile hand held speeding device. Im waiting angry angry
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by Conner44: 10:04pm On Jul 03, 2017
erico2k2:

ok SInce you k now more about this speed camera, let me ask kindly now tell me how the speed Gun works then cos the speed Gun is a mobile hand held speeding device. Im waiting angry angry

ermm adanny01 I might be wrong oh

but e be like say him don catch you with this one grin
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 10:17pm On Jul 03, 2017
erico2k2:

OK have you seen waht the ssensor reads speed from, waht it looks like?have you seen this sprocket B4?I think you should take a look at it, I try not to do Internet pictures these days, but I will see if I can get one and if anyone here can plz upload.
That sensor by ur transmission is mainly inpute and output sensors.These are car specific, may I ask you for what car are you referring to?
This link is an ABS RIng, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-COROLLS-CAMRY-ABS-RELUCTOR-RING-/332275680430?epid=721067216&hash=item4d5d2c84ae:g:xF8AAOSwdGFYvIzW
The Sensors points unto this teeth(gears).Least we 4get the power of rotation is transferred to the Hub from the drive shaft which forms part of the ABS,

Just because u specifically say u dont want an internet picture.

Luckily i have the next best thing. My service manual.

There are 2 of those sensors in the transmission. One measures input and the other output.

Like i said before Wheel sensors are used by ABS and VSA but not speedometer.

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 10:23pm On Jul 03, 2017
adanny01:

Just because u specifically say u dont want an internet picture.

Luckily i have the next best thing. My service manual.

There are 2 of those sensors in the transmission. One measures input and the other output.

Like i said before Wheel sensors are used by ABS and VSA but not speedometer.
YOu have not brought anything new to the table Ooh, we have both covered input and output sensors in the part.
The ABS sensor sends a reading to teh main ECU, loads of other thing in your car feeds from this signals,was it not you I shared what uses this same signals in my car with? let me check, Im sure it was you.

I wrote this last time we had this conversation Remember shocked shocked shocked

well I have been at work hence my very brief and short reply now Im home
I have read fru your quotes and that of crowly.I dont know how new your own car is so i cant say but Im going to use my car as an example and how its system works hope it thrwos more l ight into the VSS relative to it uses.
Now my car is a 2012 Range Rover sport Autobiography so comes fully loaded this is how the VSS works
Now the Variable Assist Power Steering (VAPS) system uses Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) input to regulate power steering pressures for higher assist at slow speeds, making parking lot maneuvers easier to perform. The Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) uses VSS information to determine when a wheel is locked up and releases pressure to that wheel to maintain directional stability. Some vehicles use separate sensors for the ABS, but it is common that the computer uses the information from the wheel sensors to act as a VSS. For example, many newer Ford vehicles use a rear axle mounted speed sensor for both ABS and computer related vehicle speed functions. Instrument Cluster (IC) and Hybrid Electric Cluster (HEC) modules use vehicle speed info for speedometer operation.I have a 2004 jeep liberty in Nigeria this is waht it uses as shown on that pic.
The vast majority newer Vehicle Speed Sensors are of the permanent magnet type, and function much the same as a CPS sensor. The sensors can be mounted either in the transmission case (like yours) or rear differential assembly(Jeep and Ford). Those in the transmission are typicaly gear driven, and those in the differential function by using a trigger wheel mounted with the ring gear. Both style sensors perform the same task.
I hope this is more clearer grin grin

shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 10:39pm On Jul 03, 2017
erico2k2:

YOu have not brought anything new to the table Ooh, we have both covered input and output sensors in the part.
The ABS sensor sends a reading to teh main ECU, loads of other thing in your car feeds from this signals,was it not you I shared what uses this same signals in my car with? let me check, Im sure it was you.

I wrote this last time we had this conversation Remember shocked shocked shocked

well I have been at work hence my very brief and short reply now Im home
I have read fru your quotes and that of crowly.I dont know how new your own car is so i cant say but Im going to use my car as an example and how its system works hope it thrwos more l ight into the VSS relative to it uses.
Now my car is a 2012 Range Rover sport Autobiography so comes fully loaded this is how the VSS works
Now the Variable Assist Power Steering (VAPS) system uses Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) input to regulate power steering pressures for higher assist at slow speeds, making parking lot maneuvers easier to perform. The Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) uses VSS information to determine when a wheel is locked up and releases pressure to that wheel to maintain directional stability. Some vehicles use separate sensors for the ABS, but it is common that the computer uses the information from the wheel sensors to act as a VSS. For example, many newer Ford vehicles use a rear axle mounted speed sensor for both ABS and computer related vehicle speed functions. Instrument Cluster (IC) and Hybrid Electric Cluster (HEC) modules use vehicle speed info for speedometer operation.I have a 2004 jeep liberty in Nigeria this is waht it uses as shown on that pic.
The vast majority newer Vehicle Speed Sensors are of the permanent magnet type, and function much the same as a CPS sensor. The sensors can be mounted either in the transmission case (like yours) or rear differential assembly(Jeep and Ford). Those in the transmission are typicaly gear driven, and those in the differential function by using a trigger wheel mounted with the ring gear. Both style sensors perform the same task.
I hope this is more clearer grin grin

shocked shocked

The gear driven speed sensors where last used by Honda in the 1993 model.

Whether its an Autobiography, HSE, sport or a Ferrari there are basics do not change. Speedometer wont work correctly from readings from wheels. Its the transmission output that is used for speedometer. Rear axle is still part of the transmission output. Beyond the differential, speedometer readings will be inaccurate. Do your research well.

My ABS unit has its own ECU and all wheel sensors are connected direct to the unit. The whole component system of the ABS does not involve the ECU.

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 10:41pm On Jul 03, 2017
adanny01:

The gear driven speed sensors where last used by Honda in the 1993 model.

Whether its an Autobiography, HSE, sport or a Ferrari there are basics do not change. Speedometer wont work correctly from readings from wheels. Its the transmission output that is used for speedometer. Rear axle is still part of the transmission output. Beyond the differential, speedometer readings will be inaccurate. Do your research well.

My ABS unit has its own ECU and all wheel sensors are connected direct to the unit. The whole component system of the ABS does not involve the ECU.
Just a quick one all ECU is hard wired to the main ECU, even your seat ECU
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 11:29pm On Jul 03, 2017
erico2k2:

Just a quick one all ECU is hard wired to the main ECU, even your seat ECU

NO.

Thats all the components of my ABS. No ECU, It has its ECU.

Watch this Video and see where Vehicle speed sensor is on a 98-2001 Honda Accord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kdwgQzcV0E

Even Cruise control is dependent on this sensor.

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by Originalsly: 11:37pm On Jul 04, 2017
You guys be killing me with irrelevant technicalities. The main point is speed.... not what the speedometer is reading...100 mph is 100 mph regardless of how it is measured. Like someone said.... you cannot measure speed without both distance and time imput, If the distance factor is determined by the rotation of the axle or the wheel or the transmission whatever... then that is done under the condition that the wheel has a specific circumference. If one then increases the circumference of the wheel the speedometer reading of the car would be compromised since the car would actually be covering more ground in one revolution of the axle and would be travelling at a faster rate of speed than the speedometer would indicate. But..like I said.. this is not about what the speedometer is indicating...but about the actual speed of the car...100mph is 100mph regardless if the car somehow has 4 different size wheels.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by Gentlelife50(m): 12:53am On Jul 22, 2017
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 3:28pm On Jul 27, 2017
I just stumbled on this and grapped the screen because it butresses the point i have been trying to make.

CC
erico2k2
crowley
ableguy

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by UntshyMata: 5:22pm On Jan 20, 2018
Yes that's possible due to diameter of the wheel then pace will differ...My view

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Meet This Mechanophiliac That Has Sex With His Car / Security Personnels May Suspect Or Harrass You If You Drive These Vehicles / Rate This Car Transformation On A Scale Of 1-10.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.