Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,586 members, 7,955,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:24 PM

The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone (20611 Views)

Why Should The North (with 230 Tribes) Plot Against Just 1 Tribe- Yoruba? / Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN / Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Go Down)

Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by No2Atheism(m): 11:09pm On Oct 23, 2009
@tpia

I must confess, you are an enigma. One minute I secretly respect you for being so knowledgable about history. The next minute i cringe wen i see the way you and others trade insult and abuse on  nairaland.

Can you please enlighten me more about the yoruba history that you know.

One thing that still baffles me is this.

I noticed somewhere that you claim not to be yoruba, yet at the same time you seem to be very knowledgable in terms of yoruba history, how is that possible.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ezeagu(m): 11:11pm On Oct 23, 2009
tpia.:

However, they still spoke their languages and remembered their names.

Yet they don't answer their names nor speak the language.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by becomrich15: 11:13pm On Oct 23, 2009
beaf, tribalist and racist.

let me explain that not all slave were sold. there were mostly kiddnap. very few slave were sold. It was more of kiddnap. What they call gbomo gbomo.
How many people would wait while you sale them. ? nobody.

If you call it slave trade. In any trade you exchange money or something. Who was paid this invisible money.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ezeagu(m): 11:15pm On Oct 23, 2009
becomrich,:

beaf, tribalist and racist.

let me explain that not all slave were sold. there were mostly kiddnap. very few slave were sold. It was more of kiddnap. What they call gbomo gbomo.
How many people would wait while you sale them. ? nobody.

If you call it slave trade. In any trade you exchange money or something. Who was paid this invisible money

So Oyo never sold criminals? Which criminal would wait for the police to catch them? You see your reasoning?
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by becomrich15: 11:17pm On Oct 23, 2009
who was the author of the book you read, give his name.?
Nearly 80% of them were kiddnap.

African were naive, even till today. if you put a ship on the lagos port and you claim this ship is going to the USA and it is free. I can tell you more than 5 days before the date of departure, the ship would be fill. They would never ask if you are going to throw them abroad the ship. That why thier leaders decieve them till today.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 23, 2009
No2Atheism:

@tpia

I must confess, you are an enigma. One minute I secretly respect you for being so knowledgable about history. The next minute i cringe wen i see the way you and others trade insult and abuse on  nairaland.

Can you please enlighten me more about the yoruba history that you know.

One thing that still baffles me is this.

I noticed somewhere that you claim not to be yoruba, yet at the same time you seem to be very knowledgable in terms of yoruba history, how is that possible.

no biggie. Thats how the cookie crumbles.

Everyone cant be the same. Yorubas say if you want to catch a monkey you have to act like one. Some people dont understand the basics of civil conversation and so I sometimes descend to their level so sense can get smacked into some people's heads unless their head is made of coconut shell. In which case, that's beyond me.

I know some aspects of Yoruba history, not all. There are areas where I know virtually nothing about.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by KnowAll(m): 11:19pm On Oct 23, 2009
@ beaf

You are both morally and inetellectually inepte and your inadequacy is so glaring and hapless that it bothers me what kind of dunces are our universities are producing nowadays, you latch at any argument in other to buttress your hollow and vulnerable points, what a complete idiot.  Below are a catalogue of your rather embarassing and clueless arguments.

The gentle man in the article I posted an Alhaji recognises his heritage and is aggreived with the SL govt for not recognising his inherent tribe, this are not my words but the argument of a marginalised tribe in SL, yet u keep on questioning the man's heritage, what a daft argument are u saying this gentleman man of between the ages of 65 to 70 years old does know what he was talking about. To remind u again below is the extract of what the man said again for your re-collection.

I think that the failure of the government to recognize Yoruba as one of the national languages was one of the pivotal agents that is killing the Yoruba people and language in this country,” Alhaji argued.

3. to seize (a vehicle) by force or threat of force.  - hYJACK TO SEIZE VECHILE BY FORCE I DONT HAVE TO TEACH U ENGLISH. THE SHIPS WERE SEIZED AND THE CARGOS DISLOGED IN FREETOWN

I use the word hyjacked, u questioned the validity of the word insisting that the word capture should be the right word, I had to post a dictionary meaning of why and how the word hyjack can be employed in buttressing my point, when u realiese your folly u kept quite, I am not in this forum to teach u English.

@KnowAll

Ok, they are bleeping Yoruba or whatever,

When I pointed out what the Alhaji said u agreed, your postings is clear here, that brings me to the question since u have accepted that they are Yorubas why go on harping on about the validity of their tribe again, dont u think this is the hight of buffonery and hypocrisy. This boy must be a utter and complete dullard.

Tell them my sister.

@knowall

Thats from a Sierra Leonean.
What part of your forlorn argument is left? Both the moral and tribalistic angles have been neutered

A lady from Sirrea Leone comes out and tells u that Yoruba's are known as or called a certain name in their country, u latch on that argument like a patient in dire need of life support in other to justify your point. Dont u know the Yoruba tribe predates the state of Seirra Leone, Yorubas have being in existence 1000 years b4 the colonial contraption called Seirra Leone, please think b4 u leap. Just like the Igbo tribe in Nigeria how many Yorubas call them Igbos. Let me remind u what Igbos are called in Yorubaland 1. Omo Ibo, 2. Okoro 3. Nna 4. Ajeokuta ma mo mi 5. Kuriki 6, and quite recently Igwe.

Mordern SL can call Yorubas shit or arse for all I care it does not change the the inherent heritage of these people.

Lastly stick to the subject matter, this thread is not about African Americans, Compensation for SLAVERY or Slave Trade itself. It is about small group of Yoruba Muslims leaving in SL.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 11:20pm On Oct 23, 2009
tpia.:

i dont see what your problem is. Actually I do, but let me act as if I dont.

Instead of screaming everywhere and spoiling the thread, why not head for one of the numerous I'm-AA-with-Igbo-DNA threads and go yell your head off there.

and some of the English, Scottish and Irish in the US were sold off by their relatives for whatever reason.

Not to mention which part of slave raids dont you understand? Wasnt it people like you who sold off individuals from other tribes you didnt like? So all the slaves you read about were sold by their relatives?

There is no reason to head off to any thread or even accuse anyone of "spoiling" this thread. Its a free World, the most significant words on this thread were spoken by mukina who is a Sierra Leonean. The Oku see themselve as Oku and Sierra Leonean. Perhaps the denial of their original ethnicity is for reasons unspoken?

People like me who sold individuals? grin You're funny, I am lucky and proud to belong to an ethnic group that did not take part in the slave trade. But that is beside the point, we need to do something to draw those in the diaspora closer and to atone.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 11:21pm On Oct 23, 2009
becomerich

a lot of slaves were sold for hard cash or whatever.

Many were kidnapped, but not all.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 11:23pm On Oct 23, 2009
Beaf:

There is no reason to head off to any thread or even accuse anyone of "spoiling" this thread. Its a free World, the most significant words on this thread were spoken by mukina who is a Sierra Leonean. The Oku see themselve as Oku and Sierra Leonean. Perhaps the denial of their original ethnicity is for reasons unspoken?

People like me who sold individuals? grin You're funny, I am lucky and proud to belong to an ethnic group that did not take part in the slave trade. But that is beside the point, we need to do something to draw those in the diaspora closer and to atone.

where are you seeing denial?

The only one getting his pants in a twist here is you.

Like I said- go find one of the thousands of I-just-discovered-I-have-Igbo-DNA threads and scream your head off there.

No ethnic group in Nigeria which didnt take part in the slave trade either as trader or captive.

If you have the confidence, state your tribe and let me dig up your history for you.

Dont claim some other tribe oh.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 11:29pm On Oct 23, 2009
@KnowAll

I am past hurling abuse now (not that I can't).

A couple of questions. . .
Why can't you insert quotations like everyone else? Can't you think beyond your tribal insticts? Don't make yourself seem small.

You might call them a group of "Yoruba Muslims", they call themselves Oku and know that they are the descendants of slaves sold by their own kind.

What is so wrong with making it up to them and others like them?
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ezeagu(m): 11:31pm On Oct 23, 2009
Beaf:

I am lucky and proud to belong to an ethnic group that did not take part in the slave trade.

Which is. . . . .
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 11:35pm On Oct 23, 2009
tpia.:

No ethnic group in Nigeria which didnt take part in the slave trade either as trader or captive.

If you have the confidence, state your tribe and let me dig up your history for you.

Dont claim some other tribe oh.

Isoko and Urhobo resisted white people and did not take any part in the despicable slave trade. There was just one Isoko man from Adam until today, who helped slaving efforts as a hired hand. Aside from that, there is zero history of slave trading by Isoko or Urhobo.

I challenge you, dig up history.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 11:39pm On Oct 23, 2009
ezeagu:

Which is. . . . .

"Mixed race" Isoko and Urhobo cool
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 11:53pm On Oct 23, 2009
Beaf:

"Mixed race" Isoko and Urhobo cool

is that what you're claiming now? undecided

Beaf:

Isoko and Urhobo resisted white people and did not take any part in the despicable slave trade. There was just one Isoko man from Adam until today, who helped slaving efforts as a hired hand. Aside from that, there is zero history of slave trading by Isoko or Urhobo.

I challenge you, dig up history.

i guess you are joking but here goes:

Warri is also known as a major port city in the Nigeria and serves as the cargo transit point between the Niger River and the Atlantic Ocean. Its history dates back to the 15th century, when it was visited by Portuguese missionaries. Subsequently it served as the base for Portuguese and Dutch slave traders

http://www.tripwiser.com/trip_destination-Warri_Nigeria?itiNodeId=8a8c80fe18ab78760118ac2b9d671c6e&eType=site#

Urhobo-Itsekiri collaboration in the slave trade, and slavery in eighteenth- and nineteenth-century Okpe

http://www.waado.org/CulturalUnits/Okpe/asagba_okpe/asagba_okpe_history.htm

Or by not taking part in the slave trade do you mean they didnt sell slaves to English traders.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 12:02am On Oct 24, 2009
tpia.:

is that what you're claiming now? undecided

i guess you are joking but here goes:

Or by not taking part in the slave trade do you mean they didnt sell slaves to English traders.

Have I ever claimed to be anything else?

Any slave trading in Warri was strictly an Itsekiri matter. Your link to "Urhobo-Itsekiri collaboration in the slave trade" does not lead to anything, not even a quotation shocked; I can bet you it is 100% about Itsekiri slave trading.

The challenge is still on.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 12:22am On Oct 24, 2009
Beaf:

Have I ever claimed to be anything else?

Any slave trading in Warri was strictly an Itsekiri matter. Your link to "Urhobo-Itsekiri collaboration in the slave trade" does not lead to anything, not even a quotation shocked; I can bet you it is 100% about Itsekiri slave trading.

The challenge is still on.

I know you dont like reading but this may clear up your confusion somewhat:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8oKjNjheHoAC&pg=PA108&lpg=PA108&dq=urhobos+and+the+slave+trade&source=bl&ots=8Kico6P1OQ&sig=OEbr1TA56tAhwE0zfVyGsrmSO-A&hl=en&ei=VjriSo2UDsae8AavjuzwAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=urhobos%20and%20the%20slave%20trade&f=fal
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 12:29am On Oct 24, 2009
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 12:33am On Oct 24, 2009
tpia.:

I know you dont like reading but this may clear up your confusion somewhat:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8oKjNjheHoAC&pg=PA108&lpg=PA108&dq=urhobos+and+the+slave+trade&source=bl&ots=8Kico6P1OQ&sig=OEbr1TA56tAhwE0zfVyGsrmSO-A&hl=en&ei=VjriSo2UDsae8AavjuzwAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=urhobos%20and%20the%20slave%20trade&f=fal

Tpia, you didn't even read the content. It was about Urhobo's trading palm oil with Europeans, the Itsekiri's imposed themselves as middlemen through the thug, Nana. When the Urhobo's resisted that, Nana insisted that they bring slaves to trade; naturally they refused and the Itsekiri's started launching slave raids. Its in black and white at the link you provided.

Can we return to the topic now? You must have been searching for more than an hour by now, you won't find anything my dear.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 12:36am On Oct 24, 2009
tpia.:

more:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fFdeYB1lIPwC&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=urhobos+and+the+slave+trade&source=bl&ots=L4SyHaUQSI&sig=Bsdg85Mx8QJ6HIMRNcFPgd3D2t4&hl=en&ei=VjriSo2UDsae8AavjuzwAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CBYQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=urhobos%20and%20the%20slave%20trade&f=false

Tpia, read the links before posting. There is nothing about Urhobo slave trading here; it is all Itsekiri again.
We didn't do that shit. cool
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 12:45am On Oct 24, 2009
Beaf:

Tpia, read the links before posting. There is nothing about Urhobo slave trading here; it is all Itsekiri again.

in fact, I'm going through the first book I posted, and it clearly states some Urhobos acted as middlemen in the slave trade.

Beaf:

Tpia, you didn't even read the content. It was about Urhobo's trading palm oil with Europeans, the Itsekiri's imposed themselves as middlemen through the thug, Nana. When the Urhobo's resisted that, Nana insisted that they bring slaves to trade; naturally they refused and the Itsekiri's started launching slave raids. Its in black and white at the link you provided.

Can we return to the topic now? You must have been searching for more than an hour by now, you won't find anything my dear.

my point there was the Itsekiris dominated the trade in the region- both in slaves and palm oil.

Thats why Urhobos couldnt make much headway in the business of capturing slaves after the Itsekiris took over.

It doesnt mean Urhobos didnt participate at all. Besides, in the initial stages they themselves were sold.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by becomrich15: 12:50am On Oct 24, 2009
Tpia all beaf want to do is divided Uhrobo and itsekiri people. I have told you that beaf is a member of MOSSOB. Stop reply.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 24, 2009
becomrich,:

Tpia all beaf want to do is divided Uhrobo and itsekiri people. I have told you that beaf is a member of MOSSOB. Stop reply.

@ bolded

I know nah.

he has cussed me out times without number on this forum. You always know their affiliations by the way they post.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 12:58am On Oct 24, 2009
tpia.:

in fact, I'm going through the first book I posted, and it clearly states some Urhobos acted as middlemen in the slave trade.

my point there was the Itsekiris dominated the trade in the region- both in slaves and palm oil.

Thats why Urhobos couldnt make much headway in the business of capturing slaves after the Itsekiris took over.

It doesnt mean Urhobos didnt participate at all. Besides, in the initial stages they themselves were sold.

Urhobo's did not try to capture slaves, don't you think they could have sold to the Ijaw or Igbo or Edo if their only hinderance was the Itsekiri? Warri township is a very small part of Urhobo land.
As I said earlier, there was just one Isoko man in history that helped slaving efforts as a hired hand.
We didn't do that nonsense. However, for this topic, that is beside the point.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 1:01am On Oct 24, 2009
tpia.:

@ bolded

I know nah.

he has cussed me out times without number on this forum. You always know their affiliations by the way they post.

. . .But I am not cussing you today, in fact I haven't replied to any of yours; its like Xmas! grin
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Nobody: 1:06am On Oct 24, 2009
^^ "cuss me out" was a wrong choice of words actually.

What I meant was attack.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 1:16am On Oct 24, 2009
tpia.:

^^ "cuss me out" was a wrong choice of words actually.

What I meant was attack.

You are really holding me to it! lipsrsealed

Most of it came from ND issue's, we feel those things deep in our hearts.

No vex again and accept my token bouqet.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ezeagu(m): 1:36am On Oct 24, 2009
Beaf:

Urhobo's did not try to capture slaves, don't you think they could have sold to the Ijaw or Igbo if their only hinderance was the Itsekiri? Warri township is a very small part of Urhobo land.
As I said earlier, there was just one Isoko man in history that helped slaving efforts as a hired hand.
We didn't do that nonsense. However, for this topic, that is beside the point.

Urhobo okpe people, because of their nearness to Itsekiriland, were semi-middlemen who did a profitable trade in slaves.
http://books.google.com/books?id=8oKjNjheHoAC&pg=PA97&dq=urhobo+slaves&lr=&as_brr=3&ei=N0viSuPzGqjuyATF2oXKBQ&#v=onepage&q=urhobo%20slaves%20sell&f=false

I guess you were wrong.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 2:11am On Oct 24, 2009
ezeagu:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8oKjNjheHoAC&pg=PA97&dq=urhobo+slaves&lr=&as_brr=3&ei=N0viSuPzGqjuyATF2oXKBQ&#v=onepage&q=urhobo%20slaves%20sell&f=false

I guess you were wrong.

Hmm. There might have been more than just the one Isoko contact I mentioned earlier.
I have checked and that one book seems to be the single source of that story, so it isn't familiar to me.

All in all, I still hold that we didn't do that shit. cool
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by illusion2: 5:55am On Oct 24, 2009
Urhobo& itshekiri. . . no matter how much they try to deny it are closer to Youruba linguistically & culturaly than them krios of Sierra Leone sef undecided . . .

And lets stop all these ,Urhobo is good ,Yoruba is bad nonesense. . . . . you weren't there ,you can only try to assume. . . . certain convenient positions. angry
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by Beaf: 1:19pm On Oct 24, 2009
illusion2:

Urhobo& itshekiri. . . no matter how much they try to deny it are closer to Youruba linguistically & culturaly than them krios of Sierra Leone sef undecided . . .

And lets stop all these ,Urhobo is good ,Yoruba is bad nonesense. . . . . you weren't there ,you can only try to assume. . . . certain convenient positions. angry

Precisely, we carry heavy ethnic baggage that always tends to get in the way.

@topic
I really think there should be a concerted and focussed effort to seek forgiveness from the diaspora. Also, we need to compensate them with land and passports and reduction of red tape. A day needs to be set aside for remembrance.

I am suggesting the above from a limited point of view. There could be other things like traditional cleansing ceremonies, church and mosque services; there should be enough impact and gravity to convey that the intention is total reconciliation with hearts laid bare.

In the past, ignorance of what happened to those sold might have been a weak factor for defense of the selling of ones own, but today, we know the full horror they went through. There is no excuse outside callousness if we do nothing in the present.
Re: The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone by ikeyman00(m): 1:33pm On Oct 24, 2009
Becomerch once quote

the yorubas never sold anybody, it was all done by the wicked igbos??

so how come all of a sudden u are sayin there are yorubas in seirra leone sold by the yorubas?

we are watchin!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Buhari Says He Won't Accept Underperformance From APC Governors / Uche Ogah Distributes Palliatives To Abia Communities (Photos) / Osinbajo Is Not A Betrayer - Segun Dada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.