Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,509 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

An Important Question For Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Important Question For Atheists (1433 Views)

Questions For Atheists / What Christians Say When They Are Losing Arguments (For Atheists) / Question For Atheists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Important Question For Atheists by AjalaJ(m): 9:19am On Oct 16, 2016
Atheists are human beings like us, and they’ve their reasons for believing there’s no God. For them the so-called “spiritual experiences” don’t work for them.

But I know the most important reasons we’re religious is because of heavenly rewards, Or because of what would happen to us when we die (because of what would happen to us for eternity). This is the core reason behind Islam and Christianity; all other reasons are secondary.

I’ve seen atheists/agnostics who’re really good. They’re honest, dependable and sensible. They’re happy and successful in life. I’ve seen religious people being dishonest, roguish, and daft. Some of them are failures and unhappy. Yet, they’ve have heavenly hopes.

Now let me ask… Why are there atheists/agnostics that are good citizens, good friends, and good neighbors? One of them once told me that it’s good to be good, but NOT because of heavenly rewards.

Perhaps they’re good to avoid going to jail or tarnishing their family names.

Now, if there are no hopes of heavenly rewards… why do atheist do good things? In their viewpoints, what’s the benefits of doing good and disadvantages of doing bad?

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: An Important Question For Atheists by donnffd(m): 9:28am On Oct 16, 2016
If you are good only because of a heavenly reward or a hellish punishment and not because of your own accord to be good, then you are a sorry lot and a disgrace to the human species.

Just be good for goodness sake.

5 Likes

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by EyeHateGod: 9:48am On Oct 16, 2016
HUMANITY

Why bother being good at all?
1. I know what it feels like to be harmed or cheated or lied to, so I empathize with others and try not to harm, cheat, or lie to them.
2. When my empathy is overwhelmed by my own selfishness or greed, I get real human consequences from those around me.
3. Like most people, I want to be liked and respected by those around me, not held in contempt.
4. I don’t want to be looking over my shoulder to see if those I’ve hurt are coming after me. If I treat people well, I can relax.
5. The cooperation and goodwill of those people around me makes my life easier.
6. I have self-respect, which is based in part on how I treat others.
7. I don’t want to be punished for breaking the rules of the society in which I live.
8. I can’t really ask others to behave morally if I don’t behave morally myself.

https://www.nairaland.com/3290033/being-good-without-god

4 Likes

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by felixomor: 9:54am On Oct 16, 2016
donnffd:
If you are good only because of a heavenly reward or a hellish punishment and not because of your own accord to be good, then you are a sorry lot and a disgrace to the human species.

Just listen to urself while u r calling someone a disgrace but giving a half baked answer.

"Be good for goodness sake" Indeed.
And u think u av answered the question?
U would av just said u cant answer or better still resist commenting.
Re: An Important Question For Atheists by honourhim: 10:31am On Oct 16, 2016
donnffd:

Who defines what is good and what is bad?
A fraudster believes he is smart. An armed robber believes he is smart. A politician who wins elections thru violence and dubious means believe he is smart. What you call good may be regarded as bad by another person and vice versa.

What benchmark do atheists use to measure good and bad.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by donnffd(m): 10:37am On Oct 16, 2016
honourhim:

Who defines what is good and what is bad?
A fraudster believes he is smart. An armed robber believes he is smart. A politician who wins elections thru violence and dubious means believe he is smart. What you call good may be regarded as bad by another person and vice versa.

What benchmark do atheists use to measure good and bad.

Very simple, do not do unto others what you would not want them to do unto you.

Tell me, do you need the reward of heaven to be good to your family members?, if the answer is no, then its very simple, view the human race as your family members and then you understand why atheists are good.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by donnffd(m): 10:42am On Oct 16, 2016
felixomor:

Just listen to urself while u r calling someone a disgrace but giving a half baked answer.

"Be good for goodness sake" Indeed.
And u think u av answered the question?
U would av just said u cant answer or better still resist commenting.

What else do you want me to answer?

Do you need heaven to be good to your family members?, if the answer is no, then why cant you view the human race as your very large family?, and treat them exactly how you would treat your immediate family.

Simple as ABC...

NB: since most atheists accept the fact of evolution, they tend to see all living things are more connected than we might think and tend to feel a family bond towards them, that in no way means atheists are better than theists, it just shows where our compassion lies.

2 Likes

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by felixomor: 11:06am On Oct 16, 2016
donnffd:

What else do you want me to answer?

Do you need heaven to be good to your family members?, if the answer is no, then why cant you view the human race as your very large family?, and treat them exactly how you would treat your immediate family.

Simple as ABC...

NB: since most atheists accept the fact of evolution, they tend to see all living things are more connected than we might think and tend to feel a family bond towards them, that in no way means atheists are better than theists, it just shows where our compassion lies.

Introducing evolution only makes it complex for u.
Animals live by survival of the fittest.
Kill or be killed.
That way, there is no reason to be good to anybody except urself.
Unless, u believe in a reward for good, which ur answer doesnt state.
U see why the answer to the question is not as u put it.

1 Like

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by donnffd(m): 11:29am On Oct 16, 2016
felixomor:

Introducing evolution only makes it complex for u.
Animals live by survival of the fittest.
Kill or be killed.
That way, there is no reason to be good to anybody except urself.
Unless, u believe in a reward for good, which ur answer doesnt state.
U see why the answer to the question is not as u put it.

Is it that you cant read or something?, what did i say just now about family members?, look i am not here to argue with you...The fact that u said that about animals sef shows how ignorant you are, Do you want to tell me that animals in a social group just kill themselves like savages?, wolves, elephants, buffalos, lion, chimps, gorillas are all social animals and they have unity in their group. We has higher animals with a higher cognition show they same kindred spirit for our kind(except a few exceptions) and we are the first species to extend our compassion not only for our social group or species but also other species as well.

Please stop being intellectually dishonest just because you want to counter me by all means.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by ValentineMary(m): 11:31am On Oct 16, 2016
For the very fact that we are social animals is enough for us to be good to our neighbors. The reason for being good should not be relegated for the hopes of an infinitely beautiful and peaceful world (which there is no proof of) but rather we should be good because we really love our neighbors and want to live in peace and also we want to make the world better for the future generation.

1 Like

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by felixomor: 11:38am On Oct 16, 2016
donnffd:

Is it that you cant read or something?, what did i say just now about family members?, look i am not here to argue with you...The fact that u said that about animals sef shows how ignorant you are, Do you want to tell me that animals in a social group just kill themselves like savages?, wolves, elephants, buffalos, lion, chimps, gorillas are all social animals and they have unity in their group. We has higher animals with a higher cognition show they same kindred spirit for our kind(except a few exceptions) and we are the first species to extend our compassion not only for our social group or species but also other species as well.

Please stop being intellectually dishonest just because you want to counter me by all means.

U say animals dont kill themselves?
For real?
Well, let me not digress.
You still have not answered any question.
U only beating around bush stating ur perceived observations.
U still have not said why you do good?
And if u say its natural to show kindess to our kind, why then do evil exist among people?
Or are those people not natural?

1 Like

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by hopefulLandlord: 11:41am On Oct 16, 2016
felixomor:

For real?
And if u say its natural to show kindess to our kind, why then do evil exist among people?

why do you do good to your immediate family members?

is it natural for you to show kindness to them or not?

does the presence of evil among certain family members negate the fact that being kind to people around you is natural?

if you have nothing to lose by being kind or wicked to people, which would you actually do? why?
Re: An Important Question For Atheists by NZAGHA(f): 11:42am On Oct 16, 2016
EyeHateGod:
HUMANITY
see your life angry undecided
Re: An Important Question For Atheists by honourhim: 11:45am On Oct 16, 2016
donnffd:

Very simple, do not do unto others what you would not want them to do unto you.

Tell me, do you need the reward of heaven to be good to your family members?, if the answer is no, then its very simple, view the human race as your family members and then you understand why atheists are good.

Atheists are good indeed. Story story. Leave that story abeg.

Back to the issue.
The money you got through fraudulent means you are using it to be good to your family and other people around you . The position you acquired through crooked means you are using to be good to people. To the beneficiaries of your evil practices you are good.
Who defines what is good and what is not?

1 Like

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by Zikdik(m): 11:48am On Oct 16, 2016

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by felixomor: 11:49am On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

why do you do good to your immediate family members?

is it natural for you to show kindness?

does the presence of evil among certain family members negate the fact that being kind to people around you is natural?

if you have nothing to lose by being kind or wicked to people, which would you actually do? why?

My immediate family is as good as my blood or myself.
There is nothing special there, doing good for them.

U r the one claiming its natural to be "good"
So u should tell us why people do evil then, except u want to also say its natural to be evil for them.

If i have nothing to lose by either of the two, then why is there so much ado about evil?
Why will being "good" be tagged the "natural' one?
Re: An Important Question For Atheists by Truthman83(m): 11:54am On Oct 16, 2016
donnffd:

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by hahn(m): 12:00pm On Oct 16, 2016
AjalaJ:
Atheists are human beings like us, and they’ve their reasons for believing there’s no God. For them the so-called “spiritual experiences” don’t work for them.

But I know the most important reasons we’re religious is because of heavenly rewards, Or because of what would happen to us when we die (because of what would happen to us for eternity). This is the core reason behind Islam and Christianity; all other reasons are secondary.

I’ve seen atheists/agnostics who’re really good. They’re honest, dependable and sensible. They’re happy and successful in life. I’ve seen religious people being dishonest, roguish, and daft. Some of them are failures and unhappy. Yet, they’ve have heavenly hopes.

Now let me ask… Why are there atheists/agnostics that are good citizens, good friends, and good neighbors? One of them once told me that it’s good to be good, but NOT because of heavenly rewards.

Perhaps they’re good to avoid going to jail or tarnishing their family names.

Now, if there are no hopes of heavenly rewards… why do atheist do good things? In their viewpoints, what’s the benefits of doing good and disadvantages of doing bad?

Neteller here: www..com.ng

Empathy.

I generally will not do something to someone I wouldn' t want someone to do to me.

Plus I have experienced serious challenges in life and people, strangers even, helped me. So it is only right I do the same to others.

I have been hungry and know the value of food. The smile on that person's face is enough for me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by hopefulLandlord: 12:30pm On Oct 16, 2016
felixomor:

My immediate family is as good as my blood or myself.
There is nothing special there, doing good for them.

U r the one claiming its natural to be "good"
So u should tell us why people do evil then, except u want to also say its natural to be evil for them.

If i have nothing to lose by either of the two, then why is there so much ado about evil?
Why will being "good" be tagged the "natural' one?

I asked a simple question, if you have nothing to lose by being good or evil to someone; what would you actually chose to do?

I'm sure you would actually chose to do good

doesn't that actually make it a kind of default setting?

or would you have chosen to do evil anyways if you weren't a Christian?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by hopefulLandlord: 12:37pm On Oct 16, 2016
now to address the OP and stop circular and pointless back and forth

I've never met a bad atheist physically, I hear about them but haven't experienced such

somehow, I think (just a thought) that when certain reasons for doing something are removed, we still do that thing anyways, we just replace the reason for doing that with something else

a Christian and Muslim for instance perhaps think they're good because of their religion may actually be wrong because they won't suddenly turn horrible when they leave it, they'll just replace the reason with

"I wouldn't feel good if someone did this to me, so I wouldn't do this to that someone either"

and then comes the illusion that the principles of forgiveness can actually make someone find some justification for doing certain bad things

an atheist for instance sees himself accountable to his/herself and society and feels very terrible for doing bad and tries to restitute, a religious person simply prays to Allah/Yahweh and believes his wrong has been righted

we don't have such "advantage" and our conscience bites us always for it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by felixomor: 12:39pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

I asked a simple question, if you have nothing to lose by being good or evil to someone; what would you actually chose to do?

I'm sure you would actually chose to do good

doesn't that actually make it a kind of default setting?

or would you have chosen to do evil anyways if you weren't a Christian?

U answered the question for me wrongly. U assumed
There are many people like me who chose evil.
Even me Without Christ, had already chosen evil so i dont know which good default setting u mean.

Afterall there was nothing for me to lose, by choosing evil , if i am to follow ur philosophy
Re: An Important Question For Atheists by hopefulLandlord: 12:59pm On Oct 16, 2016
felixomor:

U answered the question for me wrongly. U assumed
There are many people like me who chose evil.
Even me Without Christ, had already chosen evil so i dont know which good default setting u mean.

Afterall there was nothing for me to lose, by choosing evil , if i am to follow ur philosophy

so, what you're actually telling me is that you would've chosen evil had it not been for you being a Christian? despite having nothing to gain from either evil or good?

I am actually speechless

was there a time in your life that you were "christless"

1 Like

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by felixomor: 1:03pm On Oct 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

so, what you're actually telling me is that you would've chosen evil had it not been for you being a Christian? despite having nothing to gain from either evil or good?

I am actually speechless

was there a time in your life that you were "christless"

My dear, i had chosen evil already.
And u dont have to be speechless, thats what happens when the mind is allowed to determine whats good and evil on its own.
Re: An Important Question For Atheists by winner01(m): 1:21pm On Oct 16, 2016
Take a good look at how the atheists struggle to define what is good.

Do unto others what you want them to do unto you. The question here is "says who?"

Empathy? Good, very good. But says who? Not everybody wants to be empathic.

You dont need to be a christian to know its bad to kill someone else, the question is says who? Many animals of the same species kill themselves and their young ones. Does it make them less moraler.

Indeed we have good atheists. Infact, irregardless of what you believe, you can be good. But the fact remains that objective rights and wrongs are sealed in our hearts. It is innate. Even the "good" atheists show examples to justify this.

The fact that there are universal morals that we all share show that we all have a conscience, and that God is the one who wrote what is right and wrong in our hearts.

“They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. And this is the message I proclaim— that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone’s secret life.” – Romans 2:15-16

You dont have to be a christian to realize good or bad simply because it is innate.
However, anybody would be justified by asking the atheist what he means by good or bad.

We know you can identify good and bad, but im pretty sure none has questioned the origin of good or bad.

Its one of the questions posing problems to atheism, and will continue to do so until we can know who defines right and wrong.

Mere chemicals or the Supreme Chemist.

2 Likes

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by hopefulLandlord: 1:21pm On Oct 16, 2016
felixomor:

My dear, i had chosen evil already.
And u dont have to be speechless, thats what happens when the mind is allowed to determine whats good and evil on its own.

fair enough for you choosing evil

good luck

1 Like

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by donnffd(m): 8:40am On Oct 17, 2016
felixomor:

For real?

1. I said animals in a social group dont just go around killing themselves, thats what it means to be in a social group

2. People are naturally good and evil, now as animals in a social group we want whats best for the group to prolong our survival, if an individual is acting in a way thats not beneficial to the group, that individual is excommunicated. So in other words being good helps the social group and the social groups helps in the survival of the individuals.

I am sure you have heard of the saying, there is strength in unity.

1 Like

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by donnffd(m): 8:44am On Oct 17, 2016
honourhim:

Atheists are good indeed. Story story. Leave that story abeg.

Back to the issue.
The money you got through fraudulent means you are using it to be good to your family and other people around you . The position you acquired through crooked means you are using to be good to people. To the beneficiaries of your evil practices you are good.
Who defines what is good and what is not?

Sometimes i wonder how you guys reason, didnt you read my post?

Do not do unto others what you wouldnt want them to do unto you.

If you like being defrauded, then it is ok to fraud.

If you would dupe your family member, then feel free to dupe others.

Smh

2 Likes

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by felixomor: 9:21am On Oct 17, 2016
donnffd:

1. I said animals in a social group dont just go around killing themselves, thats what it means to be in a social group

2. People are naturally good and evil, now as animals in a social group we want whats best for the group to prolong our survival, if an individual is acting in a way thats not beneficial to the group, that individual is excommunicated. So in other words being good helps the social group and the social groups helps in the survival of the individuals.

I am sure you have heard of the saying, there is strength in unity.

Wether social or not, animals kill each other.
Lets not dwell too much on that.

And I hope u know "good" doesnt just involve not killing.
"Good" also involves not sleeping with another man's wife. Or u want to also argue animals follow that?

And if u say people are naturally good and evil, then some babies are going to be bad, no matter what.
That sounds religious to me.
Then how would u explain very bad people being transformed and coming to live a good life after certain experiences?
Does it mean their nature changed from "bad" to 'good"?
That also sounds religious to me.
Re: An Important Question For Atheists by donnffd(m): 9:37am On Oct 17, 2016
felixomor:

Wether social or not, animals kill each other.
Lets not dwell too much on that.

And I hope u know "good" doesnt just involve not killing.
"Good" also involves not sleeping with another man's wife. Or u want to also argue animals follow that?

And if u say people are naturally good and evil, then some babies are going to be bad, no matter what.
That sounds religious to me.
Then how would u explain very bad people being transformed and coming to live a good life after certain experiences?
Does it mean their nature changed from "bad" to 'good"?
That also sounds religious to me.

What is it about "Do not do unto others what you would not want them to do unto you" that you dont understand?

When i say Good and evil is natural, i mean we all have the ability to do good and evil, its the choices we make that makes us who we are.

You might ask, what stops anyone from just doing bad, and the answer is what i have been saying all along, when you dont act right in a social group, you become excommunicated and your survival chances drop drastically.

Which one come be religious inside?

1 Like

Re: An Important Question For Atheists by felixomor: 9:47am On Oct 17, 2016
donnffd:

What is it about "Do not do unto others what you would not want them to do unto you" that you dont understand?

When i say Good and evil is natural, i mean we all have the ability to do good and evil, its the choices we make that makes us who we are.

You might ask, what stops anyone from just doing bad, and the answer is what i have been saying all along, when you dont act right in a social group, you become excommunicated and your survival chances drop drastically.

Which one come be religious inside?

Sorry its religious when u say "u will be excommunicated for doing or not"
Sorry its religious.
No other animal gets excommunicated for sleeping with another's wife. Life goes on for them. Its survival of the fittest.

And in case u dont know, u do good because u were raised in a religious home with religious parents who inculcated religious morals in ur upbringing while ur personality was being moulded.
Otherwise, u would av been something else.
So stop trying to act as though u knew when ur personality was formed and as such.
Thats why u do good.

Remove those morals that were brought by religion to mould society, what u have is animal kingdom and tarzans.
Period.
Re: An Important Question For Atheists by hopefulLandlord: 9:50am On Oct 17, 2016
felixomor:

Sorry its religious when u say "u will be excommunicated for doing or not"
Sorry its religious.
No other animal gets excommunicated for sleeping with another's wife. Life goes on for them. Its survival of the fittest.

And in case u dont know, u do good because u were raised in a religious home with religious parents who inculcated religious morals in ur upbringing while ur personality was being moulded.
Otherwise, u would av been something else.
So stop trying to act as though u knew when ur personality was formed and as such.
Thats why u do good.

Remove those morals that were brought by religion to mould society, what u have is animal kingdom and tarzans.
Period.

Lol

Are you saying religion was responsible for every good we do?
Re: An Important Question For Atheists by felixomor: 10:05am On Oct 17, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Lol

Are you saying religion was responsible for every good we do?

Soryy yes.
Its the origin of good and evil and it shaped the way ur parents raised u when ur personality was being moulded.
Just like the way children raised up by ISIS see suicide bombing as "good".

Sorry yes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What The Bible Says About Gay. / Is Jesus The Only Way There Is? / Can God actually talk to you

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.