Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges (12030 Views)

I Met With Maina In Dubai - Malami Tells Senate Panel / NJC Disagrees With NBA, Says Won’t Suspend Nor Ask Accused Judges To Step Down / AGF, Malami Appears Before Senate This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by QuotaSystem: 9:10am On Oct 17, 2016
Nice one from Malami.

1 Like

Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by keypad1: 9:14am On Oct 17, 2016
Stelvin101:
I don't even know what to type. Military didn't Favor us, Democracy became the worst. Africa needs to have its own system of Government that the white man has no idea of
juju system of government
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by marv1: 9:15am On Oct 17, 2016
U be the olodo because u dont understand english. Sori it is not morther tongue.
plaetton:
Omg.

See the olodo we have as an attorney general. undecided
Rule of law 101: All are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
It is not, and should not be the other way around in this upside down country.
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Chiboboski: 9:16am On Oct 17, 2016
kcnwaigbo:
Lol which Court? Which Judge will assign the cases? No Judge will be arraigned unless there are indicted by the NJC.

After all their noise will the AGF or DSS try them themselves? They will soon know how powerful the judiciary is
My brother don't expose your ignorance. The judiciary can't be more powerful than a nation. The President can appoint a special judicial panel to try the judges if the need arises. The most important thing is to carry the people along.
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by JUHABACH: 9:17am On Oct 17, 2016
QuotaSystem:
Nice one from Malami.
*sigh* nigerians celebrating mediocrity. why am i not suprised.

1 Like

Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Omeokachie: 9:25am On Oct 17, 2016
tofolo:
Its the same corrupt Judges that cleared him.

Name those "corrupt" Supreme judges you said cleared him.
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 17, 2016
it's still too early to comment, will comment when its dawn, interesting days ahead, by the way eku recession to all My fellow Nigerians in Nigeria
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by saint047(m): 9:38am On Oct 17, 2016
Power no dey last forever
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Originalsly: 9:44am On Oct 17, 2016
Prove your innocence in court.... the AGF should be forced to resign for making this statement.... not demoted... forced to resign. Anyone in law enforcement period that doesn't know the prosecution has to prove the accused is guilty has no right being in law enforcement. How can he be the AGF and make such a statememt? ... then we be wondering why police and other law enforcers behave the way they do.

1 Like

Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Surfboard(m): 9:53am On Oct 17, 2016
Malami shouldn't shift the burden of proof. It is the duty of the prosecution to prove the guilt of the accused person and not the duty of the accused person to prove his innocence. Now, when the prosecution fail in producing evidence beyond reasonable doubt, they will turn around and blame a 'corrupt' judiciary, forgetting that a judge can only adjudicate on facts before him.

2 Likes

Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by emymeeky: 9:55am On Oct 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
and how exactly does what he said go against innocent until proven guilty?
undecided

He didn't say the judges are guilty did he?

He didn't say it but he meant it and that's why he is taking them to court to prove their guilt .
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by emymeeky: 10:00am On Oct 17, 2016
tofolo:
Its the same corrupt Judges that cleared him.

Let DSS arrest the corrupt judge

Then another corrupt judge will clear him. Who will tire ?

To your daftness

Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by goaldynboy: 10:00am On Oct 17, 2016
This Attorney General is talking like he didn't attend university, much more law school. By reason of our legal system, it is he who alleges that must prove! The judges are not expected to prove their innocent, rather it is the Attorney General and the DSS that must prove their guilt! And in doing that, they must prove beyond reasonable doubt! This his statement shows that they are mainly interested in media trial and slandering of the judges' reputation! And it is only few gullible Nigerians (especially the zombies) that will fall for their antics!!! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by nwodopetre(m): 10:02am On Oct 17, 2016
this country wahala too much
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by tofolo(m): 10:12am On Oct 17, 2016
No need for name calling bros, cos I believe we have some Judges out there who are not corrupt.
emymeeky:

Let DSS arrest the corrupt judge

Then another corrupt judge will clear him. Who will tire ?

To your daftness
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 17, 2016
TRUE.LET THEM GO AND PROOF THEIR INNOCENCE.

1 Like

Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 17, 2016
Nigeria judicial system is a mockery, Didn't see Abang okon on the list,
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by emymeeky: 10:21am On Oct 17, 2016
tofolo:
No need for name calling bros, cos I believe we have some Judges out there who are not corrupt.
And the "corrupt" judges , that set the judge free , why hasn't he been arrested ? Or is he above the law ?

Before anybody is declared corrupt, he has to be pronounced corrupt by a competent court of jurisdiction. You don't conclude someone is corrupt because he is arrested and humiliated by DSS or you found huge amount of money with him . Everybody knows that there's more to the arrest of these judges than meets the eyes
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Nairadays: 10:23am On Oct 17, 2016
BitcoinP:
Another Supreme Judge...
''he who brings Gworo brings life''

Only God is the Supreme Judge of the Universe. Can you explain the Gworo part? My point is the entire judiciary is corrupt. They won't want to try themselves, fear of intimidation and the likes. Except you maybe setup special intervention courts headed by Prof. Itse Sagay.
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 17, 2016
Supreme police!
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by omolami: 10:35am On Oct 17, 2016
Malami is the Judas habouredd by the judiciary
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by kcnwaigbo: 10:36am On Oct 17, 2016
Chiboboski:
My brother don't expose your ignorance. The judiciary can't be more powerful than a nation. The President can appoint a special judicial panel to try the judges if the need arises. The most important thing is to carry the people along.
The president does not have any powers to appoint any panel to try anyone let alone judges!!! Better get yourself acquainted with our constitution
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by ofuonyebi: 10:53am On Oct 17, 2016
Mallami believes his hands are clean...if the alleged judges also have a clean hand...s let them go to court...the court is the last arbiter..

when the...'mekunnus'... are arrested even when they were drinking their ...last garri...nobody sees anything wrong...but when judges are

arrested some people go dey shout ..olee!..olee!..Abi the judges have immunity too?..se all of us no dey under the same constitution again...

let us think well...like late...Hubert Ogunde.. will say, "Nigeria, e ronu o..!"...let allow sentiments to go to bed...we are all equal before the law!
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by brojoshua: 10:57am On Oct 17, 2016
Do the judges not have hope and trust in the system and body they belong and where they make their living, then let them clear themselves in the court of the country instead of making bad noise about their situation to gain cheap sympathy from the people. When bribes were exchanging hands nobody heard anything nor any noise but now that a little light is shining into the dark and dirty cupboard of Nigeria judiciary system, the corrupt or so judges too started to wail loudly disturbing us.

1 Like

Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by tofolo(m): 10:59am On Oct 17, 2016
Agreed, but I hope you know these same Judges are civil servants? so how can you now justify huge sums of monies discovered in some of their bank accounts? one even had 18m deposited in his account and he claims he has no knowledge about? Another one also has never withdrawn a single sum from his salary? All am saying is let due course take its place, they are not guilty until proven otherwise and they are also not above the law.
emymeeky:

And the "corrupt" judges , that set the judge free , why hasn't he been arrested ? Or is he above the law ?

Before anybody is declared corrupt, he has to be pronounced corrupt by a competent court of jurisdiction. You don't conclude someone is corrupt because he is arrested and humiliated by DSS or you found huge amount of money with him . Everybody knows that there's more to the arrest of these judges than meets the eyes
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Babacele: 11:20am On Oct 17, 2016
plaetton:
Omg.

See the olodo we have as an attorney general. undecided
Rule of law 101: All are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
It is not, and should not be the other way around in this upside down country.
you are the real olodo! isn't it in a law court you establish innocence or complicity? the AG is telling d judges ,who should have known better, to go to law court to establish their innocence instead of spewing whatever in the public. So what are u saying ? abi you no even understand wetin you wrote?
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 17, 2016
kcnwaigbo:
Lol which Court? Which Judge will assign the cases? No Judge will be arraigned unless there are indicted by the NJC.

After all their noise will the AGF or DSS try them themselves? They will soon know how powerful the judiciary is

It isn't necessary for the NJC to indict them. This is a criminal matter not a breach of legal practitioners rules. Re not finding a judge to sit on the case, I don't think this will be the case. What is on trial is not just a few judges but the entire system of justice. The common view is that only the poor are subject to the law. Were this to be seven panel beaters there would be little uproar. But now the untouchables have been touched. Mind you they adjudicated the evidence case law that says that even were evidence is obtained through illegal means. It remains admissible so long as it is relevant. Well that case law meant for the poor has now come back to bite them in the you know where.
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Amacaco: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2016
I do not believe the Attorney General of the Federation made that statement. One of the first elementary things you are taught as a law student is that an accused is innocent until proven guilt. The onus of proof lies with the prosecution and not the defence and this burden must be discharged beyond reasonable doubt. So if the Honourable Attorney general actually made that statement, it means he is not worthy to occupy the seat as he knows nothing about law and the legal profession. It gives credence to the allegation that he has other personal vendetta to pursue.
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 17, 2016
keypad1:
juju system of government

LWKMDFH
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by gidyambi(m): 1:03pm On Oct 17, 2016
SALUTE TO FEMI FANI-KAYODE, A MAN WITH INDOMITABLE COURAGE AT 56 by Musa Simon Reef

He was born 15 days after Nigeria was granted political independence from British colonialists on October 1, 1960.

At birth, the Heavens did not blaze the commencement of his earthly sojourn but the young child who was later to be christened David Oluwafemi Adewunmi and born to the family of Chief Remilekun Adetokunboh Fani-Kayode, carried the genes of astounding scholarly and cerebral greatness often associated with the family.

His great grandfather, Rev. Emmanuel Kayode, studied theology at Durham University in the United Kingdom in the late-1800's and was one of the earliest and most distinguished Anglican Priests in Nigeria.

His grandfather, Justice Adedapo Kayode, studied law at Selwyn College, Cambridge University, was called to the English bar in 1923, was a brilliant lawyer and was the third Nigerian to be appointed as a judge.

His father, Chief Remi Fani-Kayode, was a distinguished and respected nationalist and elder-statrsman and one of the most brilliant lawyers that Nigeria has ever known. He studied law at Downing College, Cambridge University, was called to the English bar in 1943, was the second Nigerian lawyer to be appointed Queens Counsel (Q.C.) in the UK, was the third to be appointed Senior Advocate of Nigeria (S.A.N), was a Member of the Federal Parliament from 1953 till 1958, was the MP that successfully moved the motion for Nigeria's independence in 1958, was leader of the NCNC opposition in the Western Regional House of Assembly from 1959 till 1963, was the Deputy Premier of the old Western Region and Minister of Local Government Area and Chieftaincy Affairs from 1963 till 1966, was the National Vice Chairman of President Shehu Shagari's National Party of Nigeria (NPN) from 1979 till 1983 and was a member of the elders caucus of the National Republican Convention (NRC) from 1991 till 1994.

This is the lineage and heritage that Chief Femi Fani-Kayode comes from and bears.

I first met with him in 2003 when reporting for The Punch newspaper as the Chief Correspondent of its Sunday title at the Abuja Bureau. Before meeting him, like many journalists and members of the public, I saw in FFK the picture of “an arrogant fellow” whose upper class Brirish accent attracted more envy than admiration. As Special Assistant (Public Affairs) to then President Olusegun Obasanjo, he faced the arduous task of replying stone throwers of the government. Obasanjo, who was then seen a lackey of the North, had turned against those who arranged for his emergence on the throne. The consequence was a backlash from the angry core north, as the roof was almost brought down on the government.

After granting an interview where he explained the President’s views on some
key issues, he later called to express gratitude whwas finally published. From then, he became a constant source of response on issues concerning the government. Convinced that the public perception about his person was misplaced, I arranged with some colleagues from other media to have an interaction with him. Further to that, I convinced him to be a guest at a forum organized by the
Correspondent Chapel of the FCT NUJ in 2003 where he really proved his mettle. Unlike other government officials, FFK has an uncanny way of striking relationship with reporters. He does not allow the tight schedules of office to keep him away from media practitioners. As former SA to Obasanjo, he has learned the virtue of keeping the media at close quarters and influencing media perspectives on contemporary issues. Realizing that information remains key in influencing people’s opinions, he reads a lot and seems to have answers to all questions on his fingertips. As the armour bearer of the Obasanjo Administration, he came under fire from critics opposed to the brashness of the Ota farmer in undermining democratic institutions like the National Assembly. In the Nigerian society that places much premium on hypocritical respect for elders, FFK never shied away from speaking the facts and allow Nigerians make up their opinions. After serving as SA to Obasanjo for three years, he was nominated for a ministerial position. He scaled the hurdle despite protest from some senators, and he was later appointed Minister of Culture and Tourism. Few months later, incessant air crashes made the government to redeploy him to the Aviation Ministry where he returned safety to air transportation.
Knowing FFK in the last 13 years has revealed to me the awesomeness of his character. When convinced of a course of action, he puts all his energy to achieving the set objectives. When he was convinced to join the Obasanjo regime, he worked so hard to ensure that he was not merely a number in the cabinet.

Afraid of what I described as his then “blindfolded loyalty” for Obasanjo, I once cautioned him against following the Ota Farmer on all issues, but he responded, “I am loyal to President Obasanjo and shall do everything to discharge such loyalty for the interest of my country.” I was worried when his name came up on the N5.6 billion Aviation intervention fund scandal during the early months of the Yar’Adua government. When I finally met him, he dismissed my apprehension and said he was not guilty. Seven years or so later, the court would dismiss the charges and set him free. Fani-Kayode was later to part ways with the PDP to join the APC in a rainbow coalition against the then ruling party. His appointment as Director of the Jonathan Campaign Organization and his roles in the campaigns are too well documented to warrant a repeat.

As he celebrates 56 years on earth today, FFK is being accused of spending government funds for campaigns. His constant bashing of the Buhari Government, which initially was considered as the trait of an irredeemable opposition figure, is slowly attracting a cult-like followership. He is certainly the only Nigerian politician that has, in almost equal measure, the oratorical and written prowess in advancing national discourse. With these traits, his articles on social media and newspapers enjoy tremendous readership.

My Muslims friends and brothers have had cause in the past to call my attention to his anti-Islam posturing in some of his writings. “Please tell your friend FFK that he is too much for this anti-Islam posturing. Please he should stop it. Advise him to speak and write on national issues”, a few advised me. When I later met him on the matter, he replied, “But Simon, you know that I am not opposed to Islam. I have friends among Northerners and Muslims, and I believe they mean well for this country. No one can accuse me of being anti-North or anti-Islam. I stand for the truth and state it as it is.”

Having known and keep close tabs on the thinking of FFK in the last 13 years, the former Minister is pained that despite launching 1,000 troops to tackle cattle rustling in the North-west, the government of President Muhammadu Buhari has refused to set up similar military operations to stop the genocide in some states of the North-central states and Middle Belt zone that are predominantly Christians. He is worried that the government has failed carrying all sections of the country in the affairs of the nation. He is upset of what he perceived as clear cases of marginalization of certain sections and religion in advancing what he sees as clear signals for national dangers. The resurgence of Biafra and the return to the trenches by the Niger Delta militants are sign posts that all is not well with Nigeria. He sees the absence of national consensus in tackling these problems as a danger that should be avoided at all cost.

Like many Nigerians, he feels anguished at the cascading poverty that has become the lots of our people and reducing the populace into fright victims. The frightening uncertainties and thick clouds of trouble in the nation’s skies keep him awake and he is always caught in apprehension over what the future holds for the people. As a father, he is clearly in agony over what a troubled country will mean for his son, Aragorn. His public views are distress calls for the nation’s leaders to put things back on track. Instead of faulting his style, FFK believes that government should look at the substance of his writings and discourse.

Despite his writing sometimes laced in pessimism, the FFK I know believes in the greatness of the Nigerian state. But he also believes that such greatness cannot be achieved in the atmosphere of violence and intimidation. He believes that the restructuring of the nation seems to be the only viable option in order to ensure regional autonomy for fiscal federalism.

As Chief FFK celebrates his 56th birthday, here is wishing him long life and continued struggle to ensure a free society where all voices count. May his cherished dream of justice to all not remain too long unfulfilled! Happy Birthday!

Reef, a media practitioner, writes from Abuja and can be reached via:simonreef927@gmail.com.
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by RillJ(m): 1:04pm On Oct 17, 2016
Sir, they are innocent (the law says so), it is you that need to to prove their guilt(s) in court.
Re: Prove Your Innocence In Court, AGF Malami Tells Accused Judges by deji68: 1:43pm On Oct 17, 2016
Ok oo ..una Don charge them to court

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Blame FG, Governors For Corruption In Judiciary- CJN, Justice Mahmud Says / Minimum Wage: "Presidency Moves To Appease Labour" - This Day / EFCC Arraigns Doyin Okupe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.