Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] (16821 Views)

CBN To Introduce Lower Denominations On Atms / CBN To Introduce N5,000 Note / CBN Plans To Introduce N5000, N2000 Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 6:06pm On Oct 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I hate it when some feel we DEVIATE from the subject at hand to make it about THE MAN and our NEED to PRAISE him some more. Is it ever possible to counter the problems without making it about PERSONS/TRIBES/BLAME etc Roflmao!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

And I hate it when people have nothing better to say to further their point of view and fall back on silly side line comments like little cowards.

I'm out here in the open defending my position, be a man and do same or remain on the side line like a little girl with your silly grin.

Be a man, it's your choice.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 6:12pm On Oct 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I don't believe this is really about the man but mainly about the people, if you ask me. I seriously expected that Lagos would have used WIND TURBINES to provide energy to all of Lagos considering

a) If Lagos can work with solar POWER Generation Plants then means the so called FEDERAL LAW against GENERATING POWER IS NULL
b) Lagos is right next to the Ocean and all that power could power that whole state with the right investment. And when I say powering, I don't mean STREET LIGHTS, but powering houses ( Refrigerators, Televisions, Washing machines, Wells etc)
c) WIND turbines power more for less
d) GE is right there in Lagos

You can dance around and come up with all the scenarios available to your fingers and keyboard. The fact is, Fashola can can not generate and transmit electricity in lagos state. They did that before and it didn't do anything for the state so why ask them to repeat the same mistake?

And how do you transmit this electricity from your wind turbines?

Erect power lines or blow the the electricity from your mouth into homes across the state?

Don't you have to erect power lines?

And is it still not against fed laws to erect power lines and distribute power?

Keep dancing.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 6:18pm On Oct 24, 2009
Wow this topic is getting more heated up than I imagined.

babapupa:

You can dance around an come up with all the scenarios available to your fingers and keyboard. The fact is, Fashola can can not generate and transmit electricity in lagos state. They did that before.

And how do you transmit this electricity from your wind turbines?

Erect power lines or blow the the electricity from your mouth into homes across the state?

Don't you have to erect power lines?

And is it still not against fed laws of erect power lines?

Keep dancing,

The fact is, Fashola can can not generate and transmit electricity in lagos state. They did that before.

There are two facts here
1. Lagos doesn't have enough electricity for the more than 10 million people who live in Lagos
2. By federal law, Fashola cannot generate electricty by the means of not affecting the grid system

Well then, how does he then power this electric cars given the fact that Lagos doesn't have enough electricity flowing. Takes us back to where we started about the Solar stuff.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 6:24pm On Oct 24, 2009
manny4life:

Wow this topic is getting more heated up than I imagined.

The fact is, Fashola can can not generate and transmit electricity in lagos state. They did that before.

There are two facts here
1. Lagos doesn't have enough electricity for the more than 10 million people who live in Lagos
2. By federal law, Fashola cannot generate electricty by the means of not affecting the grid system

Well then, how does he then power this electric cars given the fact that Lagos doesn't have enough electricity flowing. Takes us back to where we started about the Solar stuff.

Please excuse my Ignorance because I'm not sure what you're asking.

Please be more specific.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 6:27pm On Oct 24, 2009
babapupa:

Please excuse my Ignorance because I'm not sure what you're asking.

Please be more specific.

You are excused

I was asking that given the current electricity situation in Lagos, how does he then power this electric cars given the fact that Lagos doesn't have enough electricity flowing to more than 10 million people living in Lagos. In other words, is he depending on the insufficinet electricity from the Grid system or what other source is he looking at?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by bawomolo(m): 6:30pm On Oct 24, 2009
wirinet:

A lot of Us like parroting western propaganda and fad, forgetting our own practical problems.  Environmental pollution and green house gases are western fads - they do not apply to us.

an ignorant statement considering the long term effects generator use etc would have on environmental quality in Nigeria.  We shouldn't shortchange the environment in the name of industrialization.  

that doesn't mean we should patronize fads either.  Clean coal technologies would be useful in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2009
manny4life:

They'd just need recharge centres to be built. Thats all! No matter how bad the light situation gets, govt usually has its ways of getting power. If you want to suggest they should have an independent power project then Fed law makes that useless.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 6:44pm On Oct 24, 2009
Food, adequate water supply,medical care,roads, sanatorium etc before electric cars and rocket science. Nigerians, get your priorities right.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 6:45pm On Oct 24, 2009
MUZBO:

They'd just need recharge centres to be built. Thats all! No matter how bad the light situation gets, govt usually has its ways of getting power. If you want to suggest they should have an independent power project then Fed law makes that useless.

Good that you said they need recharge centers and this recharge centers depend on this same Grid system; right or wrong. Lest we forget and studies proved that less than 40% of Lagos have constant electricity.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Oct 24, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Food, adequate water supply,medical care,roads, sanatorium etc before electric cars and rocket science. Nigerians, get your priorities right.

Like someone said in the rebranding video, once the Electricity problem is fixed, development will follow. And I agree, we need to get our priorities right.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 7:03pm On Oct 24, 2009
manny4life:

You are excused

I was asking that given the current electricity situation in Lagos, how does he then power this electric cars given the fact that Lagos doesn't have enough electricity flowing to more than 10 million people living in Lagos. In other words, is he depending on the insufficinet electricity from the Grid system or what other source is he looking at?

Thanks for the clarification.

The whole conversation got needlessly blown out and degraded to absurdities.

1. My contentions are the fact that sure, we have energy problems in Nigeria and specifically in Lagos state, but it shouldn't prevent us from thinking, coming up with great ideas to better our people, environment and generally being innovative.  

2. The fact that we know little or nothing about this project, we don't even know if it's just a drawing board idea or a signed and budgeted state initiative, we don't know who's paying for the cars, we don't know the final cost, we don't know where the cars are coming from and we don't know what supporting infrastructure like solar charging stations are part of the proposed project so it's not only premature to criticize and dismiss it outright, it's a flawed way of thinking.

3. About powering the electric cars, there are tons of available options but as usual, folks failed to consider or even accept these options,they repeated tirelessly the power situation in the country that has nothing to do with the state and not necessarily important to the power needs of the electric cars.

4. About your main question. The difference here is, we're talking about possible options per charging electric cars without accessing the national power grid, not mass power generation and distribution of electricity to state residents.

Fashola can charge his electric cars with solar charging stations because the charging stations are not connected to federal power lines.

Fashola is not taking or diverting needed electricity from his people because with solar charging stations, he's not tapping the national grid.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 7:19pm On Oct 24, 2009
manny4life:

Good that you said they need recharge centers and this recharge centers depend on this same Grid system; right or wrong. Lest we forget and studies proved that less than 40% of Lagos have constant electricity.
I was opportuned to visit Alausa for 4 days consecutively and there was grid power everytime I was there. Thus your 40% could easily become 90% in some parts. We really don't need 100% recharge and run effectively.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 7:22pm On Oct 24, 2009
babapupa:

Thanks for the clarification.

The whole conversation got needlessly blown out and degraded to absurdities.

1. My contentions are the fact that sure, we have energy problems in Nigeria and specifically in Lagos state, but it shouldn't prevent us from thinking, coming up with great ideas to better our people, environment and generally being innovative.  

2. The fact that we know little or nothing about this project, we don't even know if it's just a drawing board idea or a signed and budgeted state initiative, we don't know who's paying for the cars, we don't know the final cost, we don't know where the cars are coming from and we don't know what supporting infrastructure like solar charging stations are part of the proposed project so it's not only premature to criticize and dismiss it outright, it's a flawed way of thinking.

3. About powering the electric cars, there are tons of available options but as usual, folks failed to consider or even accept these options,they repeated tirelessly the power situation in the country that has nothing to do with the state and not necessarily important to the power needs of the electric cars.

4. About your main question. The difference here is, we're talking about possible options per charging electric cars without accessing the national power grid, not mass power generation and distribution of electricity to state residents.

Fashola can charge is electric cars with solar charging stations because the charging stations are not connected to federal power lines.

Fashola is not taking or diverting needed electricity from his people because with solar charging stations, he's not tapping the national grid.

1. Its good to have good ideas and innovations, but there certain innovations that need ground work as a prerequisite, and this is one.

2. You say that we know little bout this project, we someone referenced CA as an example. This same CA when they went public with the new electrical underground rail system that would run from San Fransisco to other cities, they published an entire plan and opened several online and city forums. That you don't know anything about it is nothing but flawed execution of government.

3. The other sources of power other than the grid system is viable but yet in executable and will return to that point later.

4. While we are not talking about huge power production either, how much little do u think that would be created to have the little impact that the government is wants .

I ask you so we talking electric cars and also Solar energy converted into electricity. What is the cost associated as compared to this benefit it would provide. Don't forget that Solar power needs more energy from sunlight, have you taken that into consideration that Lagos particularly has an average of 5.5 hrs of sunlight intensity as compared to CA that has 9hrs of real sunlight.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 7:26pm On Oct 24, 2009
MUZBO:

I was opportuned to visit Alausa for 4 days consecutively and there was grid power everytime I was there. Thus your 40% could easily become 90% in some parts. We really don't need 100% recharge and run effectively.

I believe that this Alausa you talk about is just one out of more than 50 different places, and that 4 days only represent only 1.09% of 365 day of uninterrupted electricity, that sis really not comparable. Back to my CA example, people forget so quickly that this state has has uninterrupted power supply well except in emergencies like wild fire as a result of the sun intensity
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 7:44pm On Oct 24, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

What is this one saying? So is protecting the environment not a priority? I'm not suprised you started a thread without even getting the point since your aim was to criticize.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by wirinet(m): 7:46pm On Oct 24, 2009
Babapupa,

I love your enthusiasm for anything Fashola, but believe me this one is not feasible.

I have been researching Alternative Energy Sources for over 15 years now as a hobby, so i know a lot about the technical details of solar power. Solar technology is still a very inefficient source of energy and very costly. It still needs further improvement, In fact i am waiting   for a company called nanosolar to roll or their panels that promised more efficient panels at very cheap prices.

for example to charge a12 volts 200Ah battery battery at 30 amps, you will need  240 watts solar panels and at least 8hrs of sunshine, And a 100watts solar panel goes for about 80,000 Naira, so the cost of your panels alone would be about 200,000 to charge just one car for 8 hrs (charging a battery too fast would kill the battery). So solar charging stations are out of the question. (sorry i forgot to add that you will need at least 4 of such batteries to run a reasonable car)

Then using massive diesel generators to charge many cars would be pence foolish and pounds crazy. you will still create the same if not more pollution, with so much extra cost and logistic problems, then there is still the problem of charging time.

The most probable alternative energy cars of the future is not solar cars but hydrogen fuel cars, Hydrogen is converted to electricity to power the cars, so you only need to refill hydrogen gas. The technology is still in its infancy.

Somebody was talking about wind, the wind on the coast of Nigeria is not strong enough to provide enough election. It is very windy counties like Denmark, Norway and northern Scotland that   has wind strong enough that can be used to power wind turbines.

Baba, if you are close to Fashola, tell him  to design programmes for the poor and low income masses and not to think of only elitist programmes. We badly need cheaper transportation and Mass housing. Forget solar cars
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 7:50pm On Oct 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Like someone said in the rebranding video, once the Electricity problem is fixed, development will follow.
Aloy~Emeka:

Every single nation on the face of the earth is facing some or all the same problems you listed and it's not stopping them from finding solutions and coming up with ideas to better the environment and their people.

Protecting the environment is a priority, stop talking like a cave man.

We know if Fashola solved Nigeria's problems tomorrow, you'll still come up with something to cry about so quit the charade.

Besides Lagos state is investing money on every thing you listed and I have documented facts with pictures to share with you.

New hospital with probably the best diagnostic equipment in Nigeria. Pictures don't lie

http://happylagosian..com/2009/07/bola-tinubu-bt-pediatric-complex-and-bt.html

Roads.  And we known with the 10 lane Lagos-Badagry and Lekki Expressways, he's building the most modern and sophisticated freeways in Nigeria.

http://happylagosian..com/2009/05/new-roads.html

Water.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:FjgtlIyldTEJ:thepmnews.com/2009/06/22/potable-water-for-rural-communities+lagos+state+government+water+projects&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Eko Rice Hits Market. Lagos State Government is set to launch its rice brand called Eko Rice into Nigerian markets.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200902090467.html

New Transit home for victims of domestic violence. One and only in Nigeria.

http://happylagosian..com/2009/09/fashola-commissions-transit-home-for.html

Would you like to make a new list? I have more to share.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 7:57pm On Oct 24, 2009
wirinet:

Babapupa,

I love your enthusiasm for anything Fashola, but believe me this one is not feasible.

I have been researching Alternative Energy Sources for over 15 years now as a hobby, so i know a lot about the technical details of solar power. Solar technology is still a very inefficient source of energy and very costly. It still needs further improvement, In fact i am waiting   for a company called nanosolar to roll or their panels that promised more efficient panels at very cheap prices.

Good to know some other people have actually been following these things like I have. Yes, have definitely been following the news on NANOSOLAR and theire $1 per watt panels.

wirinet:

Somebody was talking about wind, the wind on the coast of Nigeria is not strong enough to provide enough election. It is very windy counties like Denmark, Norway and northern Scotland that   has wind strong enough that can be used to power wind turbines.
The Ocean itself waves themselves are the “WINDS” needed to power the wind turbines. I think something similar is obtained in Holland today. Wind is not necessarily about the WIND but also from underwater turbines that channel the power of WAVES in the ocean to produce needed power.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 8:00pm On Oct 24, 2009
manny4life:

I believe that this Alausa you talk about is just one out of more than 50 different places, and that 4 days only represent only 1.09% of 365 day of uninterrupted electricity, that sis really not comparable. Back to my CA example, people forget so quickly that this state has has uninterrupted power supply well except in emergencies like wild fire as a result of the sun intensity
Funny thing you should mention wild fires from the sun's intensity. Lemme put it this way: pollution--> green house gases--> green house effect--> increase in earth's temperature--> wild fires--> loss of lives and property and of course ERRATIC POWER SUPPLY. The only way to prevent the above cycle is from the first step- POLLUTION. Almost nothing can be done about the rest. It is abstract until it happens.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2009
Babapupa,

I have been researching Alternative Energy Sources for over 15 years now as a hobby, so i know a lot about the technical details of solar power. Solar technology is still a very inefficient source of energy and very costly. It still needs further improvement, In fact i am waiting for a company called nanosolar to roll or their panels that promised more efficient panels at very cheap prices.

for example to charge a12 volts 200Ah battery battery at 30 amps, you will need 240 watts solar panels and at least 8hrs of sunshine, And a 100watts solar panel goes for about 80,000 Naira, so the cost of your panels alone would be about 200,000 to charge just one car for 8 hrs (charging a battery too fast would kill the battery). So solar charging stations are out of the question. (sorry i forgot to add that you will need at least 4 of such batteries to run a reasonable car)

Then using massive diesel generators to charge many cars would be pence foolish and pounds crazy. you will still create the same if not more pollution, with so much extra cost and logistic problems, then there is still the problem of charging time.

The most probable alternative energy cars of the future is not solar cars but hydrogen fuel cars, Hydrogen is converted to electricity to power the cars, so you only need to refill hydrogen gas. The technology is still in its infancy.

Somebody was talking about wind, the wind on the coast of Nigeria is not strong enough to provide enough election. It is very windy counties like Denmark, Norway and northern Scotland that has wind strong enough that can be used to power wind turbines.

Baba, if you are close to Fashola, tell him to design programmes for the poor and low income masses and not to think of only elitist programmes. We badly need cheaper transportation and Mass housing. Forget solar cars

I'm not arguing or debating the cost and my question remains the same, you do not have enough information per the state's proposed electric car plans.

It is a proposed plan so quit over analyzing what you know nothing about.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 8:04pm On Oct 24, 2009
edit-

dbl post
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 8:16pm On Oct 24, 2009
manny4life:

1. Its good to have good ideas and innovations, but there certain innovations that need ground work as a prerequisite, and this is one.

2. You say that we know little bout this project, we someone referenced CA as an example. This same CA when they went public with the new electrical underground rail system that would run from San Fransisco to other cities, they published an entire plan and opened several online and city forums. That you don't know anything about it is nothing but flawed execution of government.

3. The other sources of power other than the grid system is viable but yet in executable and will return to that point later.

4. While we are not talking about huge power production either, how much little do u think that would be created to have the little impact that the government is wants .

I ask you so we talking electric cars and also Solar energy converted into electricity. What is the cost associated as compared to this benefit it would provide. Don't forget that Solar power needs more energy from sunlight, have you taken that into consideration that Lagos particularly has an average of 5.5 hrs of sunlight intensity as compared to CA that has 9hrs of real sunlight.

Is it possible to charge the cars via solar energy?

Yes or No?

About the cost and your analysis, out of adversities comes solutions. The human race used to live in caves but we managed to confront problems and find solutions to challenges hence electricity itself and other inventions.

I just don't believe in self defeatist attitude and can't do spirit, we can deal with our challenges and move forward instead of whinnying and complaining about potential difficulties. We want to develop and advance but we don't want to get our hands dirty.

Nothing comes easy and the developed west didn't achieve  their advancement on a platter of gold, they didn't get a free ride.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 8:24pm On Oct 24, 2009
babapupa:

Is it possible to charge the cars via solar energy?

Yes or No?

About the cost your and analysis, out of adversities comes solutions. The human race used to live in caves but we managed to confront problems and find solutions challenges hence electricity itself and other inventions.

I just don't believe in self defeatist attitude and can't do spirit, we can deal with our challenges and move forward instead of whynning and complaining about potential difficulties. We want to develop and advance but we don't want to get our hands dirty.

Nothing comes easy and the developed west didn't achieve  their advancement on a platter of gold, they didn't get a free ride.

Nope you cannot charge on solar energy, this energy has to be converted to electricity and I yes it would be good to charge for the electricity converted from solar energy but should be way less as compared to gas driven if everything remains equal. I mean it should be like charging your fone or any other equipment.

Yeah out of adversities comes solution, but if u gonna solve a problem, don't u think u should start with the very least? Like I have seen electrical cars at least in my city, they don't have charging centers, they charge at home or anywhere else, difference is that the socket is quite bigger.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2009
wirinet:

I have been researching Alternative Energy Sources for over 15 years now as a hobby, so i know a lot about the technical details of solar. . .
For someone that said that global warming is a western fad I think you've been reading the wrong books and you don't know jack. I hope you don't accept the HIV vaccine if its finally developed because since it was first discovered in whites then its a western fad. I didn't waste my time reading your post based solely on your research. Don't bother writing a book on it too. I mean whats up with this:
Environmental pollution and green house gases are western fads - they do not apply to us. It is the western countries that contribute over 90% of the world's environmental pollution and you are expecting us to pay more for ameliorating it.

UNBELIEVABLE!! In 2009?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 8:29pm On Oct 24, 2009
manny4life:

The answer to is yes it would be good to charge for the electricity converted from solar energy but should be way less as compared to gas driven if everything remains equal.

Yeah out of adversities comes solution, but if u gonna solve a problem, don't u think u should start with the very least? Like I have seen electrical cars at least in my city, they don't have charging centers, they charge at home or anywhere else, difference is that the socket is quite bigger.

Ofcourse Electric cars make sense here considering the masses can easily test drive or see the cars first hand to learn what they need of the different available models; Plugging one in at home only requires the purchase of an adapter which one can easily get from the dealer when purchasing the car itself, or from one of the many autoshops; the cost of charging an EV is significant cheaper than cost of fueling up at the gas station(about 10 X cheaper). This all MAKES SENSE to the ordinary man and that is reason why people go out to buy into the Electric car idea. It is right now a WORTHY expense.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 8:32pm On Oct 24, 2009
My point is that its a good idea but telling me u gonna build charging centers doesn't make any perfect sense because if the cost associated with it.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 8:41pm On Oct 24, 2009
manny4life:

My point is that its a good idea but telling me u gonna build charging centers doesn't make any perfect sense because if the cost associated with it.

I believe the majority of the concern has been about the COST from the very beginning of the thread. There's been the confusion brought on by some on here to make this another US vs THEM debate. The COST of this project is what many are concerned about, especially those of us who know that there are so many other more highly effective ways for the state to go GREEN without the ridiculous price tags.  When one considers that these cars are to be used for GOVERNMENT, then one understands why people would be concerned about COST, and question the reasoning behind such project?

There was the post on the Charge Station in Chicago. Chicago has Power supply, Chicago has electric hybrid buses, and a rail system. Chicago has so much already dealt with and so the Charge station was not necessarily taking funds away from other projects. Chicago currently spends so much on fuel. CTA lost so much money with the last FUEL CRISIS. In fact fares were raised about two times to help offset cost. And so this move to find, and fund alternatives that will save the city money over what it has had to spend makes a whole lot of sense for the city. Same applies to the need for the city of San Jose and so many other cities, and states across most of North America and Europe, most of whom spend over $300 million on gasoline during the fuel crises. Adopting an alternative that is not only "GREENER" but CHEAPER when compared to past costs makes ABSOLUTE SENSE at this point.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by wirinet(m): 8:59pm On Oct 24, 2009
MUZBO:

For someone that said that global warming is a western fad I think you've been reading the wrong books and you don't know jack. I hope you don't accept the HIV vaccine if its finally developed because since it was first discovered in whites then its a western fad. I didn't waste my time reading your post based solely on your research. Don't bother writing a book on it too. I mean whats up with this:UNBELIEVABLE!! In 2009?

You do not need to get emotional about this issue. i can bet you that I understand global warming and its effects more than you. You should re-read my post to fully understand why i said Global Warming is a western fad. I mean that it is the industrialized nations that produce over 90% of the gases that causes global warming. So it is their governments that should be taking steps to combat global warming, but we know that the US government has refused to sign the Kyoto protocol to reduce their production of green house gases. i am sure what Nigeria contribute is less than 0.01%, and most of it is caused by Gas Flaring, which you have even failed to mention. so asking us individually to waste our resources combating environmental pollution is like asking us to save water from the river Niger by drinking less water. That was why i said it was a fad on individual level. Even China a major contributor of pollution is only paying lip service to cutting their pollution.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:03pm On Oct 24, 2009
manny4life:

Nope you cannot charge on solar energy, this energy has to be converted to electricity and I yes it would be good to charge for the electricity converted from solar energy but should be way less as compared to gas driven if everything remains equal. I mean it should be like charging your fone or any other equipment.

edit

Does it matter how it's converted? where's is the energy to be converted coming from? Rain? Is the energy to be converted not solar? There's no need to play games or get disingenuous with your answer, we're talking about Solar Powered Charging Station, not technical details on how solar is converted.

Even with the deceptive answer, it's still YES unless you can prove that the energy to be converted is from the rain or other sources and not solar.

You don't have to be deceptive, it's unnecessary.

Good to know you agreed that out of adversities comes solution. 

So, why are we bending our backs over a proposed and budgetless project?

Like I asked before, we don't know who is paying for the cars, we don't know if it's a PPP project or not, we don't even know if there's a long range green energy plan with other R&R funding for other applications around the state.

Why are we even blaming and throwing Nigeria's problems at Fashola because of a proposed project?

Abuja spent/stole over 16 billion electricity money and people are over here crying over Fashola's electric car proposal as if he's responsible for our electricity problems and all the ills in Nigeria or he can not do anything for his people and his state till he fix Nigeria's problems.

Can any soul on NL honestly opine that with 16 billion dollars, Fashola won't light up every inch of Nigeria?

BRT had challenges but they dealt with it and persevere. Can't do can't do is the lazy man's syndrome and I honestly don't think Fashola is a lazy man.

Sure, I'm a lagosian so my vested interest in the state is obvious. I pend time scrutinizing their activities and obviously, Alahusa is not perfect , when they mess up, I send my complaints directly via the governors email service and I advice other folks to do 'same per their respective states instead of crying and siting on their hands.

And electric cars in my city gets charged at grocery stores, public parks, park and ride centers and public funded solar charging stations.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by wirinet(m): 9:10pm On Oct 24, 2009
Furthermore, on climate change. There are opposing views in the scientific community as to the real cause of global warming. Some reputable scientist believe that the changes are not caused by increased green house gases but as a result of the earth's ice age cycles, and we are at the other extreme, and this is 2009. Anyway the Al Gore group is the most popular view at the moment, and i am with them.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 10:06pm On Oct 24, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

The closest we need now is to map the whole Nigeria digitally, reinvent a functional police that are lettered. State governors can then purchase choppers for the police so they can combat crimes aerially. I don't see how expensive this will be. The private sector especially the banks that carry money around should be taxed more for the maintenance of the aerial police.

Lagos flags-off digital mapping, geographical info system
By Sonny Aragba-Akpore and Adeyemi Adepetun

FOR Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola, the state should score many firsts before 2011 when his tenure expires.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/compulife/article01//indexn3_html?pdate=170609&ptitle=Lagos%20flags-off%20digital%20mapping,%20geographical%20info%20system&cpdate=180609

http://happylagosian..com/search?q=digital

Obviously and fortunately for Lagosians, Fashola is a million miles ahead of you.

Is the man not doing anything and we're just praising him as claimed by many detractors?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 6:23am On Oct 25, 2009
babapupa:

Every single nation on the face of the earth is facing some or all the same problems you listed and it's not stopping them from finding solutions and coming up with ideas to better the environment and their people.

Protecting the environment is a priority, stop talking like a cave man.

We know if Fashola solved Nigeria's problems tomorrow, you'll still come up with something to cry about so quit the charade.
How do you know that?

Besides Lagos state is investing money on every thing you listed and I have documented facts with pictures to share with you.

New hospital with probably the best diagnostic equipment in Nigeria. Pictures don't lie

http://happylagosian..com/2009/07/bola-tinubu-bt-pediatric-complex-and-bt.html

Many hospitals are better than this crap you posted above. What is the big deal about new beds, some microscope, oximeters and a small autoclave?. The major business my family is involved in is hospital equipments and I understand the business more than you can count ABC. Nevertheless, his effort is commendable for a government hospital but don't mention it to another person that it has the best diagnostic eqipment in Nigeria unless there are more equipments that are not shown in the picture.

Roads.  And we known with the 10 lane Lagos-Badagry and Lekki Expressways, he's building the most modern and sophisticated freeways in Nigeria.

http://happylagosian..com/2009/05/new-roads.html
Again, Fashola is trying but I don't know why you keep posting this road everywhere as if its the only road in Lagos besides, other states are doing the same in road construction.

Water.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:FjgtlIyldTEJ:thepmnews.com/2009/06/22/potable-water-for-rural-communities+lagos+state+government+water+projects&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Pictures will not cut this, where is the water?

Eko Rice Hits Market. Lagos State Government is set to launch its rice brand called Eko Rice into Nigerian markets.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200902090467.html

You've messed up all your efforts to boost Fashola's image on this thread with this rubbish you posted here. What is the big deal about starting a rice brand?. Why is Lagos state meddling with that kind of business in the first place?. I am talking about farming like Obasanjo farms and not a rice brand. $20K will fill one 40ft container of rice from bangladesh and you can create a brand with it. If you like, you can call it BABAPUPA parboiled rice. If it sells, you head to CAC with a lawyer, make the name official and head to India, Thailand or Bangladesh for more supply. You may need to prepare to stay longer abroad because it takes time to bag the rice and they wouldn't bag it for you unless you pay upfront. Let me teach you small scale enterprise so that Fashola's maga won't make you tremble next time. I created my first business brand at age 22.

New Transit home for victims of domestic violence. One and only in Nigeria.

http://happylagosian..com/2009/09/fashola-commissions-transit-home-for.html

A lot of this nonsense you posted up here are in Nigeria mainly run by catholic charities. Go to Umuahia, Enugu, Onitsha, Iperu Remo, Adoka, Benue state, Jos etc. Get real please, its either you haven't travelled beyond Lagos in Nigeria or you are convinced you just caught one online mugu in me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Forex: Naira Loses Against Dollar / Manufacturers Return To Black Market For Forex / Convert Recharge Card To Money. And Also Convert Money To Airtime Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.