Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,608 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] (16824 Views)

CBN To Introduce Lower Denominations On Atms / CBN To Introduce N5,000 Note / CBN Plans To Introduce N5000, N2000 Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by texazzpete(m): 8:11am On Oct 23, 2009
Perhaps you guys need to consume some more coffee to stimulate your brain cells. It matters not that Nigeria has electricity distribution problems. It is far easier to provide power to dedicated charging stations than to an entire neighbourhood.
We use GSM in Nigeria. How do you think the network masts are powered? Has the epileptic power situation in Nigeria caused us to have no mobile signals?

However, in my opinion the Lagos state government is a little premature on this. The EV tech is still pretty much immature right now. A good idea will be to wait until say 2012 when battery efficiency and plug standardization will improve, and costs will reduce.
As of now, EVs are pretty expensive and their initial costs will erode greatly into any savings on fuel.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 8:27am On Oct 23, 2009
Perhaps you guys need to consume some more coffee to stimulate your brain cells. It matters not that Nigeria has electricity distribution problems. It is far easier to provide power to dedicated charging stations than to an entire neighbourhood.
We use GSM in Nigeria. How do you think the network masts are powered? Has the epileptic power situation in Nigeria caused us to have no mobile signals?

However, in my opinion the Lagos state government is a little premature on this. The EV tech is still pretty much immature right now. A good idea will be to wait until say 2012 when battery efficiency and plug standardization will improve, and costs will reduce.
As of now, EVs are pretty expensive and their initial costs will erode greatly into any savings on fuel.

Very well said.

The only problem is everything we have today, even your PC is premature because something better and cheaper is coming out tomorrow, there's never a final destination in terms of technology so waiting and waiting keeps you @ square 1 indefinitely.

Why not go for it and learn what you need top learn, upgrade and expand as needed, amplify the importance and awareness withing the general public and create needed downstream green jobs and Hitech transfer via installation, repairs and parts supply.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by spikedcylinder: 12:29pm On Oct 23, 2009
The technology, which is new around the world, he said, would in the first phase be used by the Ministry of Environment and then other parastatals and councils in the state. The move, he noted, would go a long way in eradicating emission and ultimately promoting the state's cleaner environment initiative.

This is interesting.
I'm having mixed feelings about the original intent of the importation of these cars. I fear these "government officials" might see it as a status thing to drive electric cars rather than for the good cause of the environment as they so eloquently put it.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 12:38pm On Oct 23, 2009
fyneguy:

Why do I think someone always itches to post something when she lacks the capacity and information  to do so?

So  $35,000 (less than N5.25M)  is what you call MEGA expensive? na wa for some people sha. When I saw mega expensive, I was expecting $100,000 or more.
If it would cost the state govt $35,000 to acquire an electriccar, then it makes a whole lot of sense, given its attendant benefits, vis-a-vis the cost of the conventional cars.

Well, to shock you, the $35k was referring to the smart-car-sized electric cars out there now.  And I expect the Department of Environment would be looking at purchasing at least 20 of those vehicles. So, I am sorry, if considering the fact that finance has been posted as issue when it comes to development in Lagos, I would think purchasing Electric cars should not be top on that list at this time considering there are so many other ways to help REDUCE EMISSIONS and get the folks at the  ENVIRONMENTAL DEPT around and about, comes off as wrong thinking to you.

Like I said earlier, if this was for PRIVATE industry, I would not even bat an eye. But this is for GOVERNMENT PARASTATAL, I would rather we start cheap and go expensive when we deem it absolutely necessary to. There are many options out there is REDUCING EMISSIONS AND CREATING A GOOD IMAGE OF THE DEPT is truly the goal. What happened to Bicycles, or even hybrid buses, or rail for now? lol

fyneguy:

One should expect the state government to have done its feasibility studies  before going for it.
The amount that will be saved on fuelling  cars alone, not to mention the environmental benefits,  justifies this laudable project.
Let's seek information from the right quarters, to avoid making uninformed comments

Well, the same way we expected past governments to have done feasibility studies before going into most all the failed projects we know of to date? UUmm. . . . Electric cars Don’t necessarily save on fuel. They mostly provide an alternative to fuel. Considering the amount of energy that will go into manufacturing the electricity which you will eventually use in powering the car, it is not, at this time, necessarily a FUEL SAVER but more an alternative.

Assume you spend N3000 to gas up your generator and then you use that power to charge the car for $24 hours, do you see how you are not necessarily saving so much on fuel?

Now, Solar powered grids COST MONEY. If you had an idea of how much it would cost to power a whole house on SOLAR energy alone, you would understand how much it would cost to power just one of these cars on average. First the Solar panels and installation cost money, we are looking at additional thousands of dollars for EACH CAR. Not to mention maintenance over time of both the grid and then the cars.
Over here, I can easily purchase an electric car and plug it in, in my garage over night, without even coming close to the same cost of powering the same car in a place like Lagos Nigeria on Solar panels.

Well, you do not have all the information yourself. So, all you can do as well is comment on the article, just as I have done. You are just as misinformed as everyone else who has little information on the actual project here.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 23, 2009
E be like say the praise wey fashola dey get don dey enter him head small small.

Nigeria, including Lagos has a never-ending power problem yet he thinks an electric powered car would make sense??
When and where are these cars going to recharged?

This technology is fairly new in developed countries and there are still some niggling issues surrounding it but Oga Fashola think say e go make sense for Lagos.

Fashola has been ill-advised and i hope he understands this sooner rather than later
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by beknown(m): 12:54pm On Oct 23, 2009
Why not sample some electric bikes and real prices? Many people can afford that:

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/forsale/00554%20New%20fun5%20electric%20bikes.htm

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/forsale/00553%20New%20fun7%20electric%20bikes.htm

What about a car for the less loaded?
http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/forsale/00747%20Mega-Electric-e-City-car-for-sale.htm

Why not try Nissan?
http://www.nissan.co.uk/GB/en/inside-nissan/innovation-and-technology/ev.html

In conclusion, electric cars or bikes are possible and affordable in Nigeria.

If you have not seen the possibilities of technology, do not argue blindly.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by calcal: 1:13pm On Oct 23, 2009
This is a message to those that said Fashola is performing, now see yourself. I said it the guy is visionless and lacks ideas. Crook!!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 23, 2009
It seems this Fashola can do no wrong in people's eyes cos i cant understand some people. This idea i must say i absolutely senseless and inappropriate to our situation as a third world country. The government should be focusing on how to provide basic amenities like, good roads, electricity, schools and what not.
Problem with Nigerians is that we always want to feel among, emissions wise, we are not even producing significant amounts of vehicular emissions in the first place, most of our emissons come from archaic practices like gas flaring. Its the developed countries that have that problem mostly, and even if he wants to provide a solution to that, he can copy a country like india, were most have employed very conservative attitudes like riding bicycles e.t.c which is really paying them off now in alot of ways. We should stop trying to feel among all the time, focus our priorities on basic things first instead of engaging expensive and top heavy initiatives that dont even make one bit of sense.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by sandee575(f): 1:30pm On Oct 23, 2009
Lagos is working but not sufficiently there yet to (even) list global warming among its challenges. Air pollution sounds more tenable.
Electric mass transit system would also have been laudable if the means were there to actualise it.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by honeric01(m): 1:32pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Thanks for editing your post with additional junk, quit being desperate.

Definitely on point about your irrational side. What's apples got to do with oranges? lmao.

The Airport is not Fashola's jurisdiction so go sell that to some clueless JJC. I'm sure Fashola go make arrangements for his own airport when his ready to build one.

What's this nonsense got to do with Fashola, has any of this nonsense prevented him from advancing his state?

You really can do better and please stay on  task and quit looking for irrelevant Bits & Piece to hold up your faltering and redundant argument.

Your argument is void of credibility, you are not in Fashola's head.

It is your God given right to open your mouth and talk, it just doesn't mean you know what tha hell you're yahking about.

So we should sit on our hands and not think or move forward because we don't have stable power? This has got to be the silliest  cave man mentality and absurdity.

Thank God your ramblings are limited to NL.

Most charging stations are solar powered, they don't tap off the grid. This is common sense and don't tell me technology is a million years ahead of you.

This is what they look like these days.

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/16/view/6067/solar-powered-parking-and-charging-stations.html
[img]http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/10/12/481127.1-lg.jpg
[/img]

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/10/12/481127.html

Thanks for this info, i am still waiting for the railway (blue and red) to be completed first, before this is introduced, i can't wait to see modern railway lines in Lagos state, we need it urgently.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by kidsam: 1:33pm On Oct 23, 2009
Lagos should get very serious, where are the roads? and they are talking about electric cars. shhhhioooooo
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by TEEZERO(m): 2:35pm On Oct 23, 2009
This appears to me a misplaced priority.
Even if Lagos was flooded with thousands of the electric cars, the impact would be so insignificant.
I would have jumped for joy, anyhow, if the story was that the state government was acquiring the technology so that the manufacturing of the cars would start here in earnest.
I hope and pray that someone was just flying a kite.
And, speaking of flood, this, by the way, is still a major challenge that needs all the folk at the Ministry of the Environment to seriously solve. It is solvable. The Dutch did it. I had read in The Guardian on Sunday a report where the commissioner had been quoted that Lagos will have to live with floods. With due respect, that is not acceptable. I believe the right things are being ignored.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 3:19pm On Oct 23, 2009
Thanks for this info,  i am still waiting for the railway (blue and red) to be completed first, before this is introduced, i can't wait to see modern railway lines in Lagos state, we need it urgently.

I think we're on the same page about the rail system and we both know they have plans on the table to get it rolling, the hold up is funding.

Seems we expect Lagos to magically transform it self overnight with 100% great roads, bridges and 24/7 electricity.

Fashola just got behind the desk about 2 yrs ago and it's gonna take time to correct decades of neglect. There's health and medical, there's education, administration, transportation and other state responsibilities to worry about and no nation was transformed in 2 years.

Understandably, we all have our demands and expectations, but realistically, this is not magic.  We just need to be very realistic with our expectations.

I strongly believe the state is on the right track.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

I think we're on the same page about the rail system and we both know they have plans on the table to get it rolling, the hold up is funding.

Seems we expect Lagos to magically transform it self overnight with 100% great roads, bridges and 24/7 electricity.

Fashola just got behind the desk about 2 yrs ago and it's gonna take time to correct decades of neglect. There's health and medical, there's education, administration, transportation and other state responsibilities to worry about and no nation was transformed in 2 years.

Understandably, we all have our demands and expectations, but realistically, this is not magic.  We just need to be very realistic with our expectations.

that's not the point.this Fashola guy is psychotic or how do you explain this stupid idea of his.Any decent government,has to tackle basic amenities and infrastructure first BEFORE anything else.You don't start building a 10-storey house from the 6th floor.Haba!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by honeric01(m): 3:39pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

see, i am not among those saying he's not doing well, what i am saying is that, i want to see the railway project on track, he's been there for 2 years, yes i know, but as a citizen, i am just waiting to see him implement the railway project asap, i am not saying he should complete it in 2 weeks, but let it start, thats what i am clamoring for.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 3:44pm On Oct 23, 2009
MrPrsdent:

that's not the point.this Fashola guy is psychotic or how do you explain this stupid idea of his.Any decent government,has to tackle basic amenities and infrastructure first BEFORE anything else.You don't start building a 10-storey house from the 6th floor.Haba!

Fashola is psychotic? Are we talking about electric cars or some personal grudge? lmao.

I understand the Idea is stupid to you and the fact is, the governor can not please everybody. We elect him to do a job and so far, he's doing a great job. The man is barelly half way trough his first term in office.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by texazzpete(m): 4:05pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Fashola is psychotic? Are we talking about electric cars or some personal grudge? lmao.

I understand the Idea is stupid to you and the fact is, the governor can not please everybody. We elect him to do a job and so far, he's doing a great job. The man is barelly half way trough his first term in office.

it would make far more sense to revive the rail system in Lagos and also to exploit the HUGELY untapped water transportation systems.
Safe and well maintained ferries can easily transport large numbers of lagosians in vastly reduced time. This will simultaneously decongest the roads, solving the terrible traffic jams that bedevil the city.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Nezan(m): 4:10pm On Oct 23, 2009
Are the vehicles gonna run on generators . . . undecided . . ?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by honeric01(m): 4:16pm On Oct 23, 2009
texazzpete:

it would make far more sense to revive the rail system in Lagos and also to exploit the HUGELY untapped water transportation systems.
Safe and well maintained ferries can easily transport large numbers of lagosians in vastly reduced time. This will simultaneously decongest the roads, solving the terrible traffic jams that bedevil the city.

my thought
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MrCrackles(m): 4:17pm On Oct 23, 2009
Nezan:

Are the vehicles gonna run on generators . . . undecided . . ?
Yes and on inverters. . . . . grin

Topic
Once again, Nigeria at the forefront of misplaced priority zone! sad
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by galatico(m): 4:35pm On Oct 23, 2009
Electric Vehicle without constant power supply
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 4:35pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Thanks for editing your post with additional junk, quit being desperate.

Definitely on point about your irrational side. What's apples got to do with oranges? lmao.

The Airport is not Fashola's jurisdiction so go sell that to some clueless JJC. I'm sure Fashola go make arrangements for his own airport when his ready to build one.

What's this nonsense got to do with Fashola, has any of this nonsense prevented him from advancing his state?

You really can do better and please stay on  task and quit looking for irrelevant Bits & Piece to hold up your faltering and redundant argument.

Your argument is void of credibility, you are not in Fashola's head.

It is your God given right to open your mouth and talk, it just doesn't mean you know what tha hell you're yahking about.

So we should sit on our hands and not think or move forward because we don't have stable power? This has got to be the silliest  cave man mentality and absurdity.

Thank God your ramblings are limited to NL.

Most charging stations are solar powered, they don't tap off the grid. This is common sense and don't tell me technology is a million years ahead of you

This is what they look like these days.

Which do you rather the government do first?. Solar powered station or a functional dam with a perfect distribution system?. Same goes for water and roads.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 4:39pm On Oct 23, 2009
honeric01:

see, i am not among those saying he's not doing well, what i am saying is that, i want to see the railway project on track, he's been there for 2 years, yes i know, but as a citizen, i am just waiting to see him implement the railway project asap,  i am not saying he should complete it in 2 weeks, but let it start, thats what i am clamoring for.

I'm clamoring for the same thing and like I said, we're on the same page. The reality is, the state can not single handedly fund the project.

It's not like they don't want to do it or they're dragging their feet.  We're talking about almost half a billion dollar project. They also have other major projects like the Badagry express way and lekki-epe express going on at this same time. We're talking about a state, not the federal government.

Light rail is not new to Lagos state, Jakande had the same plans on the table back ion the 80's and the state lost over 70 million dollars because the north played politics with the project. Now we don't have to go trough the federal government and hence the need for private funding.

Money talks my friend.

Again, we have to be realistic with our expectations.

@ texazzpete

The rail system belongs to the federal government and water transportation on a fast track across the state.

http://www.lamata-ng.com/water_transport.html

We all have ideas, but do we have the money to make it happen?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 4:44pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

We all have ideas, but do we have the money to make it happen?

Interesting question considering the Electric Cars and the solar panel recharge grids you posted cost a lot of money. And this is to serve just a handful of State Environmental agency workers.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 4:48pm On Oct 23, 2009
This is what Lagos needs now:
[img]http://www.topnews.in/files/johannesburg-road101.JPG[/img]
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 4:49pm On Oct 23, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Which do you rather the government do first?. Solar powered station or a functional dam with a perfect distribution system?. Same goes for water and roads.

The state is attacking everything you listed. The point is, 2 years is not enough to get rid of decades of neglect. The man is not a magician. I'm sure in your personal life, you have tons of stuff on the table awaiting execution but unable to because of funds and other factors. Be realistic my friend.

We both know electricity generation and distributuin is far outside of Fashola's jurisdiction and it's not like they didn't try to do it before.

Right now, every mw of energy generated by any entity in Nigeria goes directly into the obsolete national grid so what's your point? Why waste the state money for zero returns?

You can not tell me they are not building roads

You can not tell me they are not developing water transportation.

Obviously, they can not do it alone, private money and participation is needed.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 4:55pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Interesting question considering the Electric Cars and the solar panel recharge grids you posted cost a lot of money. And we are talking serving a handful of Environmental agency workers.

Apples and oranges,

And just to indulge your reasoning. Sure, state workers are first in line, but what's that got to do with potentials like hi tech transfer, job creation via installation, maintenance and repairs?

Let's not get to shortsighted abeg,
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Apples and oranges,

And just to indulge your reasoning. Sure, state workers are first in line, but what's that got to do with potentials like hi tech transfer, job creation via installation, maintenance and repairs?

Let's not get to shortsighted abeg,

Apples and Oranges? High-tech transfer? Job creation via installation?? And this from the same person who mentioned Money was needed for all this to happen in the first place?? You really think you are talking to imbeciles on here, do you? LOL
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:03pm On Oct 23, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

This is what Lagos needs now:
[img]http://www.topnews.in/files/johannesburg-road101.JPG[/img]

We all know what the state needs, the question is, is 2 years enough to get there?

I love the road in the pic you posted and I believe the 10-lane Badagry express dual carriageway with light rail public transport on the median and a Bus Rapid Transit System is the beginning.

We'll get there, it's just a matter of time.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 5:05pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

We all know what the state needs, the question is, is 2 years enough to get there?

Why does the question keep changing? First he Could not have been expected to have done it all his first 2 years, now the next 2 years is possibly not enough to get there?? Mind you, YOU are the one who have asked those questions so far. No one else has.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 5:06pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

The state is attacking everything you listed. The point is, 2 years is not enough to get rid of decades of neglect. The man is not a magician. I'm sure in your personal life, you have tons of stuff on the table awaiting execution but unable to because of funds and other factors. Be realistic my friend.

We both know electricity generation and distributuin is far outside of Fashola's jurisdiction and it's not like they didn't try to do it before.

Right now, every mw of energy generated by any entity in Nigeria goes directly into the obsolete national grid so what's your point? Why waste the state money for zero returns?

You can not tell me they are not building roads

You can not tell me they are not developing water transportation.

Obviously, they can not do it alone, private money and participation is needed.

No matter how you try to prove this, the issue of electric cars is still far fetched. There are many more things we need in Nigeria which includes viable research institutions and space technology but they are not our priority now since we still lack basic infrastructure. Nobody expects Fashola to achieve them all. The ones he has done is more than enough for a sitting governor but if he should go further, it will be more realistic to invest in pressing issues than this electric car project. Have you been to Lasu lately and witness the extent of dilapidation in that school?.   Why not invest more in schools, hospitals and roads that are not federal responsbilities?

Did you remember the raggedy yatch hotel he bought at the directives of Bola Tinubu for $40M?. Is that a viable investment for Lagos state from your perspective?. Below is one of the roads in a 21st century city that vies for electric cars and solar technology:
[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/21/vanguard/images/slumhabitat1[1].jpg[/img]
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:08pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Apples and Oranges? High-tech transfer? Job creation via installation?? And this from the same person who mentioned Money was needed for all this to happen in the first place??  You really think you are talking to imbeciles on here, do you? LOL

Still apple and oranges.

Electric cars = investment, saving money and bettering the environment. You don't have to like the Idea, but it's a beautiful thing.

Btw, can you prove to me that the project is not gonna create jobs, hi tech is not gonna be transferred? re- think the slowpoke thing my friend.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Manufacturers Return To Black Market For Forex / Convert Recharge Card To Money. And Also Convert Money To Airtime Here / CBN To Punish Landlords & Schools That Ask For Dollars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.