Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,473 members, 7,823,104 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? (1073 Views)

Olden Days Lies Elders Told Us -- Share Here / Tiv Elders Ban Traditional Marriage Festivities, Peg Expenses At N100k / What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? by loadedvibes: 7:07am On Oct 19, 2016
The assumption that old age is an embodiment of wisdom is false. Actually, it’s a lie seeking conversion to truth. Wisdom has nothing to do with longevity just as foolishness is not synonymous to youth. I have met old men who are foolish and I have also met young men who are epitome of wisdom. I have met old men who were foolish, who only later learnt through regret and sorrow. Yet some young men have proven over and over again that you don’t have to be foolish before you can be wise. I have met young men who have allowed foolishness to guide them into the beautiful garden of wisdom and I have met old men who despise instructions and feel confident all the same.

“We always romanticize that our elders are wise because of their years of experience, but do you know what? Stupid people get old too” Matt Black.

A man can be 60 years old and be a fool while his 25 years old son can be very wise. How can you explain a 60 years old gate man and his principled employer who is barely 28 years old? Well you can say that does not measure wisdom. Am sure you are even thinking about that already. To have arrived in an unfortunate reality is to have made series of foolish decisions; a clear indication that wisdom wasn’t present after all. See, you cannot be wise and be poor. Wisdom and poverty are two independent realities. In fact one of the proofs of wisdom is prosperity. If a man is truly wise, the result of his wisdom is reflected in his everyday endeavours.

When I talk about prosperity in this manner, am talking strictly beyond wealth though inclusive. Prosperity is the management of complexities without losing inner peace and sanity. It is a state of tranquility in the face of adversity. Prosperity defines that reality given birth to by that intrinsic quality which searches all knowledge and truth and still be content. How exactly can a man who possesses this quality not be wealthy in both material and spiritual things? Show me a man who is wise and poor and I will show you a man with the illusion of wisdom. An old testament Ecclesiastes, King Solomon wrote about a certain man who was poor but wise. In his analysis, he asserted that the wisdom of the poor wise man was despised because he was poor, even though he had saved the city from a siege. Solomon then went on to conclude that this was a great evil under the sun. In my opinion, what Solomon desperately wanted to communicate what that there is a great disconnect between wisdom and wealth.

So next time when you hear statements like “what an elder sees while sitting down, even if a small boy climb an iroko tree, he will never see it” please by all means audit the life of the elder and that of the so called small boy. At time it is the elder that is not seeing and he may not see really even if he climbs the metaphorical iroko tree. I have seen incredible ideas waste away because of that particular statement. I have also been a victim at some point. Elders are not always wise; therefore, they are not always right. Those who pass knowledge also pass errors.

I am not in any way saying that youths are wiser than elders or elders are foolish altogether; NO! The purpose of this article is not to deliberate on who is wise or who is not wise. My submission here is simple. Anybody can be wise just as anybody can be foolish depending on our choices per time and per circumstances. Nobody is wise as an emblem as nobody is foolish as an emblem. Old age is not a proof of wisdom and youth does not connote foolishness period. It is the choices that we make that define our lots in life. Wisdom is always an available commodity for anyone ready to access it. Mortals must choose a higher code of living and deliberately submit themselves to principles sound enough to engender that distinguishable trait that only wisdom can give. Those principles will be love, kindness, empathy, robust thinking, study, merit, credible collaboration with sound minds and the kind of virtue that society can be grateful for. If these qualities define you, then welcome to the club.

REFERENCES

Ecclesiastes 9:13-16

Job 32:1-22

The title Ecclesiastes is a Latin transliteration of the Greek translation of the Hebrew Koheleth (meaning”Gatherer”, but traditionally translated as “Teacher” or “Preacher”), the pseudonym used by the author of the book. (Source: Wikipedia).

Visit here for more:
www.edoborosasere.com
Re: Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? by ILoveToFuCcK: 7:08am On Oct 19, 2016
Elders dey sabi fυck toto oooo cool
Re: Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? by yomi007k(m): 7:14am On Oct 19, 2016
tongue

only in Africa.
Re: Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? by loadedvibes: 12:32pm On Oct 19, 2016
ILoveToFuCcK:
Elders dey sabi fυck toto oooo cool
LOL. You no serious
Re: Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? by missjo(f): 12:41pm On Oct 19, 2016
Old age can be an embodiment of EXPERIENCE, the problem is a lot of people assume that experience is synonymous with wisdom which isn't always the case.

Old age = experience ≠ wisdom smiley

2 Likes

Re: Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 19, 2016
I laugh at some people who feel because they're older and with certain experiences in life, that makes them wiser...That's a fallacy...cos age is only but a number.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? by loadedvibes: 1:41pm On Oct 19, 2016
I agree with you 100%

missjo:
Old age can be an embodiment of EXPERIENCE, the problem is a lot of people assume that experience is synonymous with wisdom which isn't always the case.

Old age = experience ≠ wisdom smiley

1 Like

Re: Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? by Florblu(f): 3:33pm On Oct 19, 2016
Thanks @op
Just last week a friend attested to the fact that wisdom comes with old age and I was so disappointed in myself for having such a DUMB fellow as a friend and I have cut all ties with him since then.
Wisdom doesn't comes with age, only experience does and experience does not amounts to wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? by loadedvibes: 7:09am On Oct 21, 2016
Florblu:
Thanks @op
Just last week a friend attested to the fact that wisdom comes with old age and I was so disappointed in myself for having such a DUMB fellow as a friend and I have cut all ties with him since then.
Wisdom doesn't comes with age, only experience does and experience does not amounts to wisdom.
Re: Must Read: Are Elders Always Wise? by loadedvibes: 7:49am On Oct 22, 2016
Bump

(1) (Reply)

What Would You Do If Your Spouse Denies You Sex? / Photo: A Blessed And Lucky child Who Has Born To See His Great Greatgrand Mother / FINANCIAL INFIDELITY --- Is That A Thing? Pple, What Are Your Opinions On This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.