Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,796 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car (8865 Views)

Adams Oshiomole Impose #70,000 Monthly Tax On Borehole Owners / Police To Begin Stop And Search On Roads And Highways Nationwide / Nigeria: Jonathan Launches New Tax Policy, Tax ID Numbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by honeric01(m): 8:02pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

U sure are a joker, i wonder how many motel will go to the asewos and ask them for taxes based on how many people they have slept with.
BTW. . . are you aware that there are some asewos that dont use hotels?
Let us be real, i think the govt needs to be dealing with pple that truly owe taxes and stop harassing people that has nothing to give.
 you are so funny, see, its the work of the brothel and hotel owners to sort that out, this is where their the tax officer's church mind is needed, do you think in europe where prostitution is legal, do you think they don't tax them? now ask yourself, how are they taxed.

Kobojunkie:

Not sure she is a fullhouse wife hence the reason why I ask if it could not be the case here. She was accessed taxes based on the supposed value of her car. So, the tax is question is on her car and not on her income, if that even applies.
 your post said, we all know she is a full house wife,

There are many what ifs here, hence the reason why this is likely to backfire and why FIRS agents cannot necessarily get accurate income data from people by simply taxing their "LUXURY" cars.

with the right papers (authentic), she's safe. BRF is a lawyer and he knows how laws are interpreted.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by honeric01(m): 8:04pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I import a car into Nija.
i get a clearing agent to clear my car, he charge A naira, i paid and my car is brought to my house.
So what will be my biz with duty or VAT again? that must have been part of the payment of A naira to the clearing agent.
And if for any reason, the agent refused to pay the money and the car was delivered to me, with all original documents, who do you think is at fault, me or the people that works with the govt that look for how to milk the system and steal and make the innocent people pays for it?

That is what i mean by dealing with his own people.

Where i live, i pay taxes and i dont even see the money before the taxes is paid and at the end of each year, i report all and they see if i pay enuf or too much.
So there are better ways to dealing with tax evader, if there are any and not taking their vehicles

That's why i said if she's got the right papers (authentic), then there's a cause of alarm.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 8:05pm On Oct 23, 2009
honeric01:

you are so funny, see, its the work of the brothel and hotel owners to sort that out,  this is where their the tax officer's church mind is needed,  do you think in europe where prostitution is legal, do you think they don't tax them? now ask yourself, how are they taxed.

I think will be nice to know how much the govt officials are paying on taxes.
where i live, i can make calls and find out how much my President, governors and all that made last year and paid in taxes.
When they are given brown envelopes and gifts, they reports it and are taxed on it, if needs be, but in Nigeria, tell me how the taxes affects all the useless leaders there, that they have the freaking balls to harass people on the road.
For your info, the motels and all that crap you talking about, pays nothing, cos most are owned by the same fools that rules you.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2009
honeric01:

That's why i said if she's got the right papers (authentic), then there's a cause of alarm.

And did the story said no authentic papers?
My guy, i read sometimes this year, when the govt in lagos was doing all possible to make sure Lagos is clean, and what happened, how come the lastmans are collecting bribe and cos of that, traffic jam all over the place
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Kobojunkie: 8:07pm On Oct 23, 2009
honeric01:

with the right papers (authentic), she's safe. BRF is a lawyer and he knows how laws are interpreted.

MY POST

How do you know she is not paying her taxes? For all we know she is probably a full time wife who used her life savings to purchase the car, and paid the VAT and custom duties as required.

My post above DOES NOT state that she is definitely a housewife.

Even lawyers sometimes get it wrong. This approach is both costly and could backfire. How does a housewife prove she is a housewife? Are FIRS agents going to go monitor her daily activities to ensure this is truth? what papers would a housewife have to prove this choice?
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 8:07pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

If that hasn't been paid, then, tell Fashola to deal with his people and not punish the woman for what has nothing to do with her.

I think the Govt firstly need to invest in having proper
machinery in place and the taxes and revenue will come
in naturally cos i dont see the point in LURING pple to come
and declare their income.It is the Govt's responsibilty to be
able to determine the citizen's income.

In the U.K your taxes are deducted by the Inland Revenue and
u do not need to be lured.

Though i dont live in the U.S,i have friends who claim to fiddle their tax declaration
at the end of the year.

Therefore,Nigeria as a country is too disorganised to determine pple's income not to talk of Lagos state.

At the end of the day,the intended revenue would only end up in the pockets of the LIRS officials who would be collecting fees to fiddle records.
(The Nigerian Customs is a very good example)
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by honeric01(m): 8:11pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

And did the story said no authentic papers?
My guy, i read sometimes this year, when the govt in lagos was doing all possible to make sure Lagos is clean, and what happened, how come the lastmans are collecting bribe and cos of that, traffic jam all over the place
And did the story say she's got authentic papers

Fhemmmy:

I think will be nice to know how much the govt officials are paying on taxes.
where i live, i can make calls and find out how much my President, governors and all that made last year and paid in taxes.
When they are given brown envelopes and gifts, they reports it and are taxed on it, if needs be, but in Nigeria, tell me how the taxes affects all the useless leaders there, that they have the freaking balls to harass people on the road.
For your info, the motels and all that crap you talking about, pays nothing, cos most are owned by the same fools that rules you.

this is another story entirely, so leave all these rubbish somewhere and talk about the main issue on ground, are the fools not your countrymen? and do you think brothels and motels are for politicians? do you know the difference between brothels, hotels and motels?
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by honeric01(m): 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

MY POST

My post above DOES NOT state that she is definitely a housewife.

Even lawyers sometimes get it wrong. This approach is both costly and could backfire. How does a housewife prove she is a housewife? Are FIRS agents going to go monitor her daily activities to ensure this is truth? what papers would a housewife have to prove this choice?

Ok, point about what you posted is noted. yes lawyers make mistakes, but we shouldn't think they don't know what they are doing, give them a chance to do their job and if they misbehave, the court is there for anyone to take them to.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by clomn(m): 8:16pm On Oct 23, 2009
WHETHER LAGOS OR SOKOTO NIGERIA REMAINS NIGERIA. FASHOLA, EVEN IF YOUR TARGET IS TO DRIVE THE POOR OUT OF LAGOS I AM STAYING FOR GOOD.
YOU DON'T EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THAT YOUR MEN WILL STOP TINUBU AND ASK FOR TAX CLEARANCE.
SO THIS IS ABSOLUTE ANTI DEMOCRACY BECAUSE IT WILL NOT GO DOWN EVENLY.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 8:18pm On Oct 23, 2009

correction - if you are in paid employment it is deducted by your employer on behalf of the Inland revenue (deducted at source)
If you own a buiness or self employed - it is the individual who is obligated to voluntarily declare his/her income to the Inland revenue.
Failure to do that and if found out - Various penalities apply

At the end of the day,the intended revenue would only end up in the pockets of the LIRS officials who would be collecting fees to fiddle records.

This is where the Nigerian problem lies.
And BABA FELA song comes to mind - TEACHER DON TEACH ME NONSENSE.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 8:18pm On Oct 23, 2009
xcapade:

I think the Govt firstly need to invest in having proper
machinery in place and the taxes and revenue will come
in naturally cos i dont see the point in LURING pple to come
and declare their income.It is the Govt's responsibilty to be
able to determine the citizen's income.

Though i dont live in the U.S,i have friends who claim to fiddle their tax declaration
at the end of the year.

Therefore,Nigeria as a country is too disorganised to determine pple's income not to talk of Lagos state.

Well said oh and it is important too to make sure there are Auditors that are not within the govt and not under the payrol of the govt that is watching what they do and looking into the book, they also need a zero tolerance to make sure that if you are caught messing up with the money of the people and collecting bribe for a service to be given, you are not only a goner, but jailed.
haba.
Why would i wanna come and declare what i am worth to the govt, in a place where security lacks everything and then, the list will be sold to some hitmen and then, the person is dead.
he is a joker.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2009
honeric01:

this is another story entirely, so leave all these rubbish somewhere and talk about the main issue on ground, are the fools not your countrymen? and do you think brothels and motels are for politicians? do you know the difference between brothels, hotels and motels?

They could be my country men, however, i will not hide behind a tiny finger and make noise.
This kinda law is dumb and stupid, period.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Kobojunkie: 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2009
honeric01:

Ok, point about what you posted is noted. yes lawyers make mistakes, but we shouldn't think they don't know what they are doing, give them a chance to do their job and if they misbehave, the court is there for anyone to take them to.

Actually, I would rather one start fighting back from first contact, rather than sit back putting all hopes in even lawyers. The lady in this case seems to be fighting back considering she felt to forward her letter to the media so people can know of her case and that is a good move.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 8:23pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Actually, I would rather one start fighting back from first contact, rather than sit back putting all hopes in even lawyers. The lady in this case seems to be fighting back considering she felt to forward her letter to the media so people can know of her case and that is a good move.

Very true, well said, and i hope this will shed light on some stupid moves made by the govt
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 8:25pm On Oct 23, 2009
yommyuk:

It's funny how everyone agreeing with this mess is outside the country {UK to be precise}.

You are absolutely right man.  cheesy

In nigeria people actually get away with murder when it comes to paying tax.
Most of these Luxury Car Owners are tax invaders. I am also sure that 90% of them are not insured.(if not more)
These are the people that always complain about bad roads, Armed robbery to name a few.
I have no problem with the concept. It's the usuage that is my concern.
If such funds can be used for inproving our roads, Tax derived from Insurance companies via client premiums used in improving the police force
Then Kudos to FASHOLA - EKO KONI BAJE

We nigerians that are resident in the UK know the huge benefits derived from paying tax. Or do u think all the good roads, electricity and water supply, security came from Crude Oil in the Soil.
Typical Nigerians. When Fashola was clearing Oshodi, u said kudos because it did not effect u personally. Now Fashola is after you for Car tax
You are gnashing your teeth. sad

AND WHERE IN THE HISTORY OF THE U.K HAVE PEOPLE BEEN LURED TO DECLARE INCOME.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 8:26pm On Oct 23, 2009
xcapade:

Gr8 question, and i am sure they guy will avoid it.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Kobojunkie: 8:26pm On Oct 23, 2009
xcapade:

Roflmao!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 8:36pm On Oct 23, 2009
yommyuk:

correction - if you are in paid employment it is deducted by your employer on behalf of the Inland revenue (deducted at source)
If you own a buiness or self employed - it is the individual who is obligated to voluntarily declare his/her income to the Inland revenue.
Failure to do that and if found out - Various penalities apply

AND YOU U DECLARE WHAT U WANT DEM TO KNOW.
ALL THOSE BOYS IN B.T(SELF EMPLOYED STAFF), DO U THINK THEY DECLARE REAL INCOME?AND HOW MANY HAVE U SEEN HARRASED ABOUT THEIR INCOME because THERE IS A WAY AROUND IT THROUGH AGENCIES.
IT IS WHAT U DECLARE AS INCOME(SELF EMPLOYED) THAT U PAY TAX ON. JUST BE SURE YOU WILL NOT BE GOING BACK TO CLAIM BENEFIT.

NIGERIA IS JUST TOO CORRUPT AND DISORGANISED FOR THIS POLICY TO WORK .
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 8:37pm On Oct 23, 2009
xcapade:

ALL THOSE BOYS IN B.T(SELF EMPLOYED STAFF), DO U THINK THEY DECLARE REAL INCOME?AND HOW MANY HAVE U SEEN HARRASED ABOUT THEIR INCOME because THERE IS A WAY AROUND IT THROUGH AGENCIES.
IT IS WHAT U DECLARE AS INCOME(SELF EMPLOYED) THAT U PAY TAX ON JUST BE SURE YOU WILL NOT BE GOING BACK TO CLAIM BENEFIT.

NIGERIA IS JUST TO CORRUPT AND DISORGANISED FOR THIS POLICY TO WORK IF U.K

ummmmmmmm
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 8:39pm On Oct 23, 2009

u r missing the point.
it is the individual who is obligated to voluntarily declare his/her income to the Inland revenue
We in the UK do not have to be lured. It is just a sense of duty more like.

That is the attitude I will implore nigerians to cultivate.
So my point is the actual concept of taxing Luxury cars is not the real issue.
It is how will the revenue generated  be spent?
So if fashola promised to be transparent in regards to where the funds will be spent, will u still disagree with the concept.
I hope not sad
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 8:44pm On Oct 23, 2009
ALL THOSE BOYS IN B.T(SELF EMPLOYED STAFF), DO U THINK THEY DECLARE REAL INCOME?AND HOW MANY HAVE U SEEN HARRASED ABOUT THEIR INCOME because THERE IS A WAY AROUND IT THROUGH AGENCIES

Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 8:47pm On Oct 23, 2009
honeric01:

Once you can prove that you don't live or work in Lagos, then they will let you go as long as you have facts to back yourself up.

AND HOW CAN THEY PROVE THAT THE PAPERS I HAVE STATING THAT I LIVE/WORK IN KUTUWENJI ARE NOT THE RIGHT PAPERS
WHEN THE HEAD OF CUSTOMS HAD FAKE CREDENTIALS

THE NUMBER 3 MAN IN 9JA(HEAD OF SENATE 1999) HAD FAKE PAPERS AND WERE NOT DETECTED UNTIL PRESS PILED-ON THE PRESSURE

, WE STILL HAVENT FORGOTTEN THAT THIS SAME STATE WAS RUN ON TORONTO PAPERS FOR 8YEARS OOOOOOOOOO
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 8:55pm On Oct 23, 2009
yommyuk:

ALL THOSE BOYS IN B.T(SELF EMPLOYED STAFF), DO U THINK THEY DECLARE REAL INCOME?AND HOW MANY HAVE U SEEN HARRASED ABOUT THEIR INCOME because THERE IS A WAY AROUND IT THROUGH AGENCIES

YOU SEEM NOT TO UNDERSTNAD ABI?
FIND A PERSON THAT WORKS AS SELF EMPLOYED IN B.T(British Telecoms-if that helps)and ask how they pay their taxes.

I LIVE AND WORK IN THE U.K AND IM TELLING YOU THAT YOU ONLY PAY TAX ON WHAT YOU DECLARE(SELF EMPLOYED).

I HAVE SEEN PPLE FIDDLE RECORDS, THE TAXMAN IS NOT THERE TO KNOW WHAT U EARN

,, AND THE U.K DOES NOT CARE WHAT CAR U DRIVE AS LONG AS your ROAD TAX /MOT IS VALID,
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 8:58pm On Oct 23, 2009
xcapade:

AND HOW CAN THEY PROVE THAT THE PAPERS I HAVE STATING THAT I WORK IN KUTUWEJI ARE NOT THE RIGHT PAPERS
WHEN THE HEAD OF CUSTOMS HAD FAKE CREDENTIALS

THE NUMBER 3 MAN IN 9JA(HEAD OF SENATE 1999) HAD FAKE PAPERS AND WERE NOT DETECTED UNTIL PRESS PILED-ON THE PRESSURE

, WE STILL HAVENT FORGOTTEN THAT THIS SAME STATE WAS RUN ON TORONTO PAPERS FOR 8YEARS OOOOOOOOOO

hahahahahahaha.
I guess there are 2 laws, one for the rich and the other for the poor, so now we all have to align with where we belong.
Useless leaders leading the animals that blvs in them.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 9:07pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

hahahahahahaha.
I guess there are 2 laws, one for the rich and the other for the poor, so now we all have to align with where we belong.
Useless leaders leading the animals that blvs in them.

ABI,

IMAGINE THE RICHEST BLACKMAN IN THE WORLD(DANGOTE)FIDDLING WITH THE WHOLE NIGERIAN STOCK EXCHANGE.

SO TELL ME HOW FASHOLA WILL COLLECT THE RIGHT TAXES FRM HIM IN LAGOS, He doesnt even pay the right fees to the Nigerian Customs

ONLY THE POOR AND ''UNCONNECTED'' WILL BE SUBJECTED TO THIS USELESS POLICY.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 9:26pm On Oct 23, 2009
xcapade:

ABI,

IMAGINE THE RICHEST BLACKMAN IN THE WORLD(DANGOTE)FIDDLING WITH THE WHOLE NIGERIAN STOCK EXCHANGE.

SO TELL ME HOW FASHOLA WILL COLLECT THE RIGHT TAXES FRM HIM IN LAGOS, He doesnt even pay the right fees to the Nigerian Customs

ONLY THE POOR AND ''UNCONNECTED'' WILL BE SUBJECTED TO THIS USELESS POLICY.

Make we no even go into that one.
I will like even Fashola to come and tell me how much he made last year in income and in gifts and how much tax he paid.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 9:31pm On Oct 23, 2009

I LIVE AND WORK IN THE U.K AND IM TELLING YOU THAT YOU ONLY PAY TAX ON WHAT YOU DECLARE(SELF EMPLOYED).

I know cheesy

I HAVE SEEN PPLE FIDDLE RECORDS, THE TAXMAN IS NOT THERE TO KNOW WHAT U EARN
That's old news my friend.
There will always be people who pass through the net.
But I will tell u this, these so called fiddlers are in the minority. (excl our 9ija brethen)
I do tax returns for self employed people and I know what I am talking about.
95% of my clients adhere to the rules on their own freewill. It is mostly the 9ijas that come to me and try to fiddle.
But let me tell u. The inland revenue are not really concerned with the small time self employed. (Mostly the cash in hand smooth operators) whose threshold is normally under 50K (all these are small fry)
You go and set up a viable business with a turnover of £150k and go and declare 50k and see how long u will last b4 the Inland revenue catch up with u. or let say past the VAT THRESHOLD

A friend of mine was running a cleaning company for 2 years without paying a dime.
There was an audit trail that led back to his company from some of his clients. The consequence of his actions is History.

,, AND THE U.K DOES NOT CARE WHAT CAR U DRIVE AS LONG AS your ROAD TAX /MOT IS VALID
Absolutely. And if u don't pay ur Tax, the car gets picked up by the removals with the old bill breathing down ur neck
and points on ur licence and a rise in insurance premiums grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2009
Don't get me wrong. I see ur point in regards to it working in Nigeria.
But I argue for the concept of people paying tax and it's benefits
Whether it will work in Nigeria or not is another issue
Same like paying tithes to a church and the pastor milking it undecided
Is tithing wrong? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by DaMayor1: 9:45pm On Oct 23, 2009
WHAT NONSENSE!!! Na dis one go make me dey carry gun 4 my car. As if the security situation isn't  bad enough, they're  giving robbers permission 2 stop "luxury cars". every sensible nigerian should resist this move, rich or poor. Dnt get me wrong, people should pay tax, but there are better ways 2 achieve this.
Its very obvious Agberos are running this govt, else I dnt see any sensible person (even with school sat) coming up with a plan like this. make person wey wan die stand 4 d front of my car.  NONSENSE!!
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Kobojunkie: 9:46pm On Oct 23, 2009
@Da Mayor grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 9:47pm On Oct 23, 2009
Dnt get me wrong, people should pay tax wink
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by damnic: 9:48pm On Oct 23, 2009
hallo could someone help me?i am from Germany and ia m searching Emmanuel Nwakire from Lagos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

External Reserve Increases / Buhari Holds Another Meeting With APC Governors Over Oyegun / Enugu To Commence Operations Of Its Tech Hubs, Youth Innovation Centres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.