Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,236 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car (8872 Views)

Adams Oshiomole Impose #70,000 Monthly Tax On Borehole Owners / Police To Begin Stop And Search On Roads And Highways Nationwide / Nigeria: Jonathan Launches New Tax Policy, Tax ID Numbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 10:12pm On Oct 23, 2009
Da Mayor:

WHAT NONSENSE!!! Na dis one go make me dey carry gun 4 my car. As if the security situation isn't  bad enough, they're  giving robbers permission 2 stop "luxury cars". every sensible nigerian should resist this move, rich or poor. Dnt get me wrong, people should pay tax, but there are better ways 2 achieve this.
Its very obvious Agberos are running this govt, else I dnt see any sensible person (even with school sat) coming up with a plan like this. make person wey wan die stand 4 d front of my car.  NONSENSE!!  

Pls dont make me crack my ribs
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Emperoh(m): 10:22pm On Oct 23, 2009
Most People did not read this article well
Lagos State Government is not taxing Luxury Cars rather, what it intends to do is thisl
If you can afford to own a Luxury(whatever they define that as) but cannot produce a tax clearance certificate
This is simply to push you to bring and declare to IRS Officers what your monthly cum annual income is
That way, they will be able to determine how much you earn and tax u accordingly
This is why some of us fall victim to Illiterate Police and Tax Officers whom we should be schooling about Govt laws!!!

Again, this aspect of taxation is not in my own understanding for formal workers or those who work with Coys
COs there is already a formal way of collecting you PIT. . , rather, this is for artisans, traders and businessmen who feel they can't be taxed
But go about living a big life

Kobojunkie
If you drive a Bentley, Roll Royce or whatever big car and an IRS officer stops you(if dem get liver stop that kind car grin)
What will simply be done is asking you to provide your tax clearance Cert, failing which two thing will happen.
You car will be impounded or you can bail your self out by proving that that car doesn't belong to you or that you do not reside or earn income in Lagos State. . . . . .whereas the later is the case, you go free(in my understanding) but assuming we have the former situation as the case,
The said car will be impounded and hereby forcing you to provide your income and expenditure account, failing whichm
the officer will evaluate you per the car you are driving. . . if you know, that the said car is a gift meaning you can't afford it, no problem,
Show them the documents to prove exactly what you are earning. OK? cool cool
I no go talk again!!!
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Kobojunkie: 10:29pm On Oct 23, 2009
Emperoh:

Kobojunkie
If you drive a Bentley, Roll Royce or whatever big car and an IRS officer stops you(if dem get liver stop that kind car grin)
What will simply be done is asking you to provide your tax clearance Cert, failing which two thing will happen.
You car will be impounded or you can bail your self out by proving that that car doesn't belong to you or that you do not reside or earn income in Lagos State. . . . . .whereas the later is the case, you go free(in my understanding) but assuming we have the former situation as the case,
The said car will be impounded and hereby forcing you to provide your income and expenditure account, failing whichm
the officer will evaluate you per the car you are driving. . . if you know, that the said car is a gift meaning you can't afford it, no problem,
I no go talk again!!!

You are still mixing things up. READ THE ARTICLE again and maybe you will how what you have above does not even line up with what the article tells you of this.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 12:00am On Oct 24, 2009
Emperoh:

Lagos State Government is not taxing Luxury Cars rather, what it intends to do is thisl
If you can afford to own a Luxury(whatever they define that as) but cannot produce a tax clearance certificate
This is simply to push you to bring and declare to IRS Officers what your monthly cum annual income is
That way, they will be able to determine how much you earn and tax u accordingly
This is why some of us fall victim to Illiterate Police and Tax Officers whom we should be schooling about Govt laws!!!

Again, this aspect of taxation is not in my own understanding for formal workers or those who work with Coys
COs there is already a formal way of collecting you PIT. . , rather, this is for artisans, traders and businessmen who feel they can't be taxed
But go about living a big life

Kobojunkie
I no go talk again!!!

I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT IF THERE IS NO MEANS THROUGH WHICH THE LIR CAN CONFIRM WHATEVER I TELL THEM HOW CAN THIS POLICY BE EFFECTIVE.

, SIMPLY CARRY AN I.D CARD FOR A COMPANY LOCATED IN LOKOJA AND TELL THEM U DONT LIVE IN LAGOS.

MY POINT IS THAT THE POLICY SHOULD BE FOOL-PROOF TO AN EXTENT AND WOULD HAVE TO BE A FEDERAL POLICY AS PEOPLE CAN CLAIM TO LIVE IN ANOTHER STATE

STOPPING ''LUXURY'' CARS IS DISCRIMINATORY BECAUSE IF 2 SEAPARATE PPLE EARN THE SAME AMOUNT OF INCOME AND 'A' DECIDES TO BUY A LUXURY CAR WHILE 'B' SPENDS HIS WEALTH ON PROPERTIES WHERE HE EARNS ADDITIONAL INCOME(RENT),THEN 'A' WOULD GET STOPPED WHILE 'B' IS FREE.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by rasputinn(m): 12:11am On Oct 24, 2009
This is pure madness
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 12:44am On Oct 24, 2009
xcapade:

I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT IF THERE IS NO MEANS THROUGH WHICH THE LIR CAN CONFIRM WHATEVER I TELL THEM HOW CAN THIS POLICY BE EFFECTIVE.

, SIMPLY CARRY AN I.D CARD FOR A COMPANY LOCATED IN LOKOJA AND TELL THEM U DONT LIVE IN LAGOS.

MY POINT IS THAT THE POLICY SHOULD BE FOOL-PROOF TO AN EXTENT AND WOULD HAVE TO BE A FEDERAL POLICY AS PEOPLE CAN CLAIM TO LIVE IN ANOTHER STATE

STOPPING ''LUXURY'' CARS IS DISCRIMINATORY BECAUSE IF 2 SEAPARATE PPLE EARN THE SAME AMOUNT OF INCOME AND 'A' DECIDES TO BUY A LUXURY CAR WHILE 'B' SPENDS HIS WEALTH ON PROPERTIES WHERE HE EARNS ADDITIONAL INCOME(RENT),THEN 'A' WOULD GET STOPPED WHILE 'B' IS FREE.

ummmmmmmmm.
But i will just like to know how they can determine someone's worth and income based on what they drive.
A 419 kid that jjust made one hit and now decided to buy a 10M Naira car, does that shows his worth and how do they collect tax from such?
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 12:44am On Oct 24, 2009
In real terms there is nothing wrong with the policy, it is howthe Govt will execute and enforce it that is questionable.

Secondly, what is the main objective of the policy?
Is it to lure non paying tax people into the tax office under the guise of Luxury car tax
Or is it mainly an indirect penaltly for driving a Luxury car
The latter makes no sense. therefore I will have to go for the former.
In the Late 80s in Ogun state, Before u could do anything in the local council, They will ask u for a TV and Radio Licence.
People never knew this levy existed. but nearly everybody had a TV or Radio at home.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 12:48am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

In real terms there is nothing wrong with the policy, it is howthe Govt will execute and enforce it that is questionable.

Secondly, what is the main objective of the policy?
Is it to lure non paying tax people into the tax office under the guise of Luxury car tax
Or is it mainly an indirect penaltly for driving a Luxury car
The latter makes no sense. therefore I will have to go for the former.
In the Late 80s in Ogun state, Before u could do anything in the local council, They will ask u for a TV and Radio Licence.
People never knew this levy existed. but nearly everybody had a TV or Radio at home.

I think that is going backwards.
If they want people to pay service and good taxes, that shd be done thru the sellers, they make the sellers add some taxes for goods and services on the sales and the govt will go after those people to collect their money, but going after people based on what they drive to be able to collect some taxes. . . . i am disappointed.
we are no more in those club ages.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by blackweaver(m): 12:49am On Oct 24, 2009
i knew there was a reason why i was refusing to buy a car; but honestly i believe the govt just wants o make sure every car owner is a taxpayer
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 12:53am On Oct 24, 2009
A 419 kid that jjust made one hit and now decided to buy a 10M Naira car, does that shows his worth and how do they collect tax from such?

He will not be able to show it. Therefore the car should be either autioned or damaged like the customs do when they seize drugs

In the UK, Legitimate Businesses will not accept cash payment for purchases above 5k. It will have to be another type of method of payment that can be traced back to source.
It is only in 9ija where a CEO of a bank can effectively take billions from the public bank for personal use. It is totally unbelieveable.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Kobojunkie: 12:58am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

He will not be able to show it. Therefore the car should be either autioned or damaged like the customs do when they seize drugs

In the UK, Legitimate Businesses will not accept cash payment for purchases above 5k. It will have to be another type of method of payment that can be traced back to source.
It is only in 9ija where a CEO of a bank can effectively take billions from the public bank for personal use. It is totally unbelieveable.

So even though he is able to show he paid all necessary taxes and duties on the car, because he is unable to show proof of income, the car should be confiscated?? ah!! Na so we dey take our own hands create complications for that country be this ooh.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 1:01am On Oct 24, 2009
I think that is going backwards.?

Nigerians are a different kind of breed
You have to go back to basics in order to deal with them.
We don't like paying tax. So any system or procedure deployed that will acheive the desired result should be given a good round of applause.

Remember the last election. The UN said any election in Nigeria is better than no election
same rule should apply here also.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 1:02am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
So you mean to tell me the only way someone shd be able to show he has paid taxes if to be walking around with the tax documents, why cant the govt have a better program to show that people pay taxes, if the peopl stop and search me, how come they dont have a database that they can check and make sure i am a tax payer?
You talking about UK, so in UK brown has ordered a stop and search cos they wanna be sure that you have paid your tax? common now, i think this is a barbaric practice and shd be stopped with immidiate effect, the govt needs to find a better and a non-harassing way to see and know if people had paid their taxes and not the useless stop and search for some documents of evidence of tax payment
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 1:04am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

I think that is going backwards.?

Nigerians are a different kind of breed
You have to go back to basics in order to deal with them.
We don't like paying tax. So any system or procedure deployed that will acheive the desired result should be given a good round of applause.

Remember the last election. The UN said any election in Nigeria is better than no election
same rule should apply here also.

Nigeria is a different kinda breed and that is why we need to do what will work and not stop and search all luxurious cars.
Like someone has mentioned, how would u search other people that are loaded and yet drive a clunker? how would u stop and search someone that has a phobia for even driving and yet he is wickedly loaded?
There are too many things to be taxed, and i think the govt needs to throw the idea out there and they will get help on how to generate revenue
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 1:06am On Oct 24, 2009
he is unable to show proof of income

absolutely! why not!
why do u think 419 and drug peddling is the order of the day in 9ija

@Kobojunkie
I believe u r based in the states abi?
And u r still thinking like this.
I hope u r not one of these Chicago boys sad
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 1:13am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

he is unable to show proof of income

absolutely! why not!
why do u think 419 and drug peddling is the order of the day in 9ija

@Kobojunkie

In UK, when you buy a car, you pay taxes on it and that is paid to the dealer if i am correct, you will take your document to the govt and regster to your car, and without the tax document, i am sure you might not be able to register that car, this is how it works where i reside, so now if a car is on the road and you are stopped, the govt officials, the cops only wanna see 2 things and these are your licence and proof of insurance and also your ownership and once all these are fine, you are good to go, if u haven't violated any traffic law, else, get your ticket and be happy.
So tell me, why do Nigerians has to be harassed on the roads, all cos the govt cant put in place a system that works?
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 1:20am On Oct 24, 2009
get help on how to generate revenue

u r probably right. Surely there should be other means of generating revenue

However, if this so called policy can catch 10,000 tax avoiders that will be 6.2billion naira
No be small change O cheesy

N0.62m to most of these owanbe guys is chicken feed. At least if they do not want to pay Income tax on the money generated from the
contents of the containers they ship in. an equivalent of £2500 PA will not send them to the grave.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Nobody: 1:23am On Oct 24, 2009
I not in 100% support of fashola,but in d case of dis 419,criminals,yahoo yahoo, drug barons, dat ride flashy cars&pple whose sources of income are questionable,then i support him
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Kobojunkie: 1:31am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

@Kobojunkie

Does it matter where I am? Can't you see how this can easily backfire? I mean I already gave numerous examples of how your answer positing that it would be a good way to check 419ers can easily backfire.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 1:38am On Oct 24, 2009
In the uk, u can either buy ur car via a private seller or Trader. Sale proceeds of a personal car is non taxable. For a trader, it is different, He will pay tax on his profit.

Every car owner must purchase a Tax disc which can either be 6 monthly or annually.(b/w £200 - £400). The documents reqd before a tax disc can be acquired are insurance cert and MOT. If u get stopped by the copper and u have not tax disc, automatically u trigger the NO INSURANCE OR MOT signal.
Consequence: the police will politely get the car keys off u and call the removals people to take away your car. You will be told to pay a charge with terms attached to it before u can reclaim it back. If you don't claim it back in 7 days, even if the car cost £1m, It will be sent to the land of no return
CRUSHED. cool
Now to a typical nigerian , this will be Harrassment because maybe the 9ija police are more heavy handed.
Softly Softly policies don't fly in nigeria. We r hard cases.
Remember! Idiagbon - WAI and Fashola - OSHODI
Even the oyinbo man understands this.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 1:38am On Oct 24, 2009
toba:

I not in 100% support of fashola,but in d case of dis 419,criminals,yahoo yahoo, drug barons, dat ride flashy cars&pple whose sources of income are questionable,then i support him

if that is your arguement, then, i guess it is better to do something and actually fight the crime and not harass some innocent people on the street of lagos.
So will they stop and search a chinese man driving a luxurious car, or this will be done to just Nigerians?
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 1:42am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

In the uk, u can either buy your car via a private seller or Trader. Sale proceeds of a personal car is non taxable. For a trader, it is different, He will pay tax on his profit.

Every car owner must purchase a Tax disc which can either be 6 monthly or annually.(b/w £200 - £400). The documents reqd before a tax disc can be acquired are insurance cert and MOT. If u get stopped by the copper and u have not tax disc, automatically u trigger the NO INSURANCE OR MOT signal.
Consequence: the police will politely get the car keys off u and call the removals people to take away your car. You will be told to pay a charge with terms attached to it before u can reclaim it back. If you don't claim it back in 7 days, even if the car cost £1m, It will be sent to the land of no return
CRUSHED. cool
Now to a typical nigerian , this will be Harrassment because maybe the 9ija police are more heavy handed.
Softly Softly policies don't fly in nigeria. We r hard cases.
Remember! Idiagbon - WAI and Fashola - OSHODI
Even the oyinbo man understands this.

Where i live, either you bought from private seller or from a dealer, you will still pay the tax, it is either you pay while registering or you must have receipt that u paid to the dealer.
If the govt wanna catch tax evaders it wont be on the street, it is a useless exercise.
1. the tax man will start to collect bribe soon, so another non declared income to the tax man on the street of lagos.
2. soon, there would be some law suit of people being harassed and probably being assaulted.
If the govt wanna collect all their taxes, there are better way than this to do it, and like i said, it is important to make sure everyone pay taxes and as for the criminals, fight them with the law and make sure the taxes are paid by law.
One law for us all.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 1:45am On Oct 24, 2009
That is why the British used indirect rule on administer us
Naija na unique breed grin grin grin

The brits knew their softly softly rule of law does not fly in nigeria (1900s)
Iron hand will be from effective
The African way.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 1:56am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

That is why the British used indirect rule on administer us
Naija na unique breed grin grin grin

The brits knew their softly softly rule of law does not fly in nigeria (1900s)
Iron hand will be from effective
The African way.

then, that aint democracy, is it?
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 2:01am On Oct 24, 2009
One law for us all

Be real bro
Even in yankee if you are rich and can afford a good lawyer u can get away with murder. tongue
That's the way it is.
Not guilty to proven otherwise. wink

the tax man will start to collect bribe soon, so another non declared income to the tax man on the street of lagos
This is where the govt have to develop internal systems and procedures to acheive the required control. Hence making the taxman accountable.

there would be some law suit of people being harassed and probably being assaulted.
Hopefully rule of law will prevail

there are better way than this to do it
Like in the Uk, installing monitoring systems in cars that will flag/trigger non  compliance. However that will mean traffic jam because 9 in 10 drivers will be offenders.

I will say back to basics. GET THEM ON THEM THE STREETS.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 2:05am On Oct 24, 2009

I beg! No be democracy put Yaradua for there.
Ok I will say "African Demo cracy" is different from "USA Democracy"
All in all it is common sense that will prevail.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 2:06am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

One law for us all

Be real bro
Even in yankee if you are rich and can afford a good lawyer u can get away with murder. tongue
That's the way it is.
Not guilty to proven otherwise. wink

the tax man will start to collect bribe soon, so another non declared income to the tax man on the street of lagos
This is where the govt have to develop internal systems and procedures to acheive the required control. Hence making the taxman accountable.

there would be some law suit of people being harassed and probably being assaulted.
Hopefully rule of law will prevail

there are better way than this to do it
Like in the Uk, installing monitoring systems in cars that will flag/trigger non  compliance. However that will mean traffic jam because 9 in 10 drivers will be offenders.

I will say back to basics. GET THEM ON THEM THE STREETS.

At least the rich will be to the court of law and all that, but not in Nigeria, where the rich will even tell the judge to shut up, cos he dines with those that matters.

Get them on the street is barbaric and shd be stopped with immediate effect
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Kobojunkie: 2:06am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

YOu sure??

By the way, how can COMMON SENSE prevail when you yourself have said it over and over that your naija is a UNIQUE case, hence NO COMMON SENSE APPLIES?
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 2:07am On Oct 24, 2009
yommyuk:

hahahahahaha, now you crack me up.
Common sense in Nigeria?? u only wish
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 2:20am On Oct 24, 2009
common sense in a metaphoric way cool
If u dey follow follow in nigeria make u open eye.
i too am cracking up because we can go on and on about naija.
You tell me what will work in naija unless the people for whom the system was designed believe in it
The Germans believed in HILTER - and they went bonkers after his ideology
But in nigeria everyman has his own way. No collective vision.
It's just the way it is embarassed

deploying people and resources available to best effect. may be the answer
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by mustafar1: 2:21am On Oct 24, 2009
I'll rather have sales tax introduced rather than crap ineffective british style value added. That way u actually know how much extra u would pay in taxes if u decide to splurge 1000naira on a burger instead of 200 naira on agege bread, ewa aganyin and orobo mirinda.

PS: I just used food as an eg it shouldn't be limited to food. Better still, have people pay tax on ready made meals but tax free if u decide to do grocery and cook urself same meal.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by yommyuk: 2:26am On Oct 24, 2009
: I just used food as an eg it shouldn't be limited to food. Better still, have people pay tax on ready made meals but tax free if u decide to do grocery and cook urself same meal.

I feel u bro - anything to get the money in cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Soyinka And Tinubu Shun Oshiomhole's One-Man-One-Vote Rally In Benin City! / My Concerns About Including Non-igbo Southsouth In The Biafran Struggle. / Orumba Group In Enugu Endorses Maduka (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.