Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,622 members, 7,816,562 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth (75579 Views)

The Reason Why Oba Of Benin Banished Dr Ogiugo. / Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife / Why Oba Of Lagos Snubbed Ooni Of Ife (SEE Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by olusledge: 7:02pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:
Africa should get rid of all these things..where was our so called tradition when the white man took us all as slaves.. These things help set us back many thousand years..that is why most of our big strides in development came when we where under our colonial masters.

We keep dwelling on tradition that adds no tangible meaning or advancement to our society at large.

modified

All of you mentioning me have refused to tell me how most of our traditions have added value to our society.

I dont know of any Oba where i live till they need 7 heads to bury him.. Is this the type of traditions we should hold onto?

Or traditions where we marry out 12 year olds and deny them of basic education ?? I can go on and on....
europeans were able to conquer africa because we betrayed each other.... no be today betrayal start

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by joey150(m): 7:03pm On Oct 21, 2016
saintdennis:

It's not tradition that has set us back as a nation but greedy military men & politicians

Who funds these traditional system presently?
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by techblogtips: 7:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
Olufemiolaolu:
What a Backward tradition. His decision isnt supreme any longer. His so called decision shd be supreme on eradication or reduction of prostitution in Edo

If the Oba gets angry with you, you can begin to sing your "Nunc Dimitis" if the Oba goes into the inner chamber of the Palace to put on his special red toga or garment otherwise known as "Ododo" and if he curse you out wearing that garment. There is no way in the world you can ever get rid of that curse. That is why The Yorubas acknowledge him in their cognomen as "Afinju Oba Ado Otolu Apara O ro pupa bi Odide" meaning "the gutsy Benin king that is as powerful as the thunder who wears the red like the magical tail feathers of the parrot"

https://www.nairaland.com/3421549/power-oba-benin-why-he#50397714
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by techblogtips: 7:07pm On Oct 21, 2016
domido:
It's true...... His first son will never see him again.

He is not allowed to see his father face-to-face but is allowed to communicate with his father in some traditional ways. His own mother who used to be killed in times gone by is now specially honored.

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by DeRay98(m): 7:12pm On Oct 21, 2016
martineinstein:
even me wey be edo man no even know sef

If you be truly Bini and you didn't know then, you're lost. If Edo but not Bini you're excused.
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Olufemiolaolu(m): 7:13pm On Oct 21, 2016
techblogtips:

If the Oba gets angry with you, you can begin to sing your "Nunc Dimitis" if the Oba goes into the inner chamber of the Palace to put on his special red toga or garment otherwise known as "Ododo" and if he curse you out wearing that garment. There is no way in the world you can ever get rid of that curse. That is why The Yorubas acknowledge him in their cognomen as "Afinju Oba Ado Otolu Apara O ro pupa bi Odide" meaning "the gutsy Benin king that is as powerful as the thunder who wears the red like the magical tail feathers of the parrot"

He is nothing but a mere mortal dat ll die joor. Blood of Jesus can wipe out any curse.
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Kgdavid(m): 7:15pm On Oct 21, 2016
Such bondage. Poor guy...you can't talk, can't smile, must sit with his hands in that position till his muscles get stiff...pure bondage.
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by techblogtips: 7:17pm On Oct 21, 2016
Olufemiolaolu:
He is nothing but a mere mortal dat ll die joor. Blood of Jesus can wipe out any curse.

The Benin people are something else. They don't joke or play around with their traditional values but more so with their Oba. Even though the first Church in Nigeria was built by the Portuguese in Benin City, most Christian household in Benin still have little shrines in a corner of their home they still believe in. You will never see the Oba of Benin go to any Church to kneel down before any pastor.
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by techblogtips: 7:20pm On Oct 21, 2016
Kgdavid:
Such bondage. Poor guy...you can't talk, can't smile, must sit with his hands in that position till his muscles get stiff...pure bondage.

You don't contest to become the Oba of Benin. You are born into it from the cradle. The "Edaiken", the heir apparent to the Benin throne is almost as powerful as his father even though he too has his limitations just like the Oba of Benin is also constrained by some of the traditional laws of the kingdom.

The "Edaiken" title in Benin history is totally unique. He is usually the first son of a reigning Oba. He usually does not die until has had a chance to succeed his father even if it is for one day. The day he is born he ceases to be his mother's child and he becomes the property of the kingdom. He is taken away from his mother and raised and empowered by the caucus of wizards like they say in Benin and given all the and leverage he would need to fulfill his destiny without let or hindrance.
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by onuski(m): 7:20pm On Oct 21, 2016
na lie ooo
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Boyooosa(m): 7:24pm On Oct 21, 2016
sO HE NO GO COM LAFF FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE NOW because SAY HE WAN MAKE PPLE RESPECT AM.... IN OLAMIDE'S VOICE (U KNOW THE NEXT WORD NA) MEANWHILE, CAN HIS ORDER OVERSHADOW BUHARI'S OWN?
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by tonquendo4u(m): 7:28pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:
Africa should get rid of all these things..where was our so called tradition when the white man took us all as slaves.. These things help set us back many thousand years..that is why most of our big strides in development came when we where under our colonial masters.

We keep dwelling on tradition that adds no tangible meaning or advancement to our society at large.

modified

All of you mentioning me have refused to tell me how most of our traditions have added value to our society.

I dont know of any Oba where i live till they need 7 heads to bury him.. Is this the type of traditions we should hold onto?

Or traditions where we marry out 12 year olds and deny them the right to basic education ?? I can go on and on....
Emancipate urself from mental slavery,none but ourselves can free our mind...Ur culture is ur identity.Whether u like it or not.Dont disgrace ur forefathers by posting rubbish
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by martineinstein(m): 7:38pm On Oct 21, 2016
DeRay98:

If you be truly Bini and you didn't know then, you're lost. If Edo but not Bini you're excused.
mtchewww ayam an esan man...i can read and write in my language...ayam not lost,pls
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by MrTour: 7:45pm On Oct 21, 2016
Which kind tradition be dis undecided
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by ihimiray(m): 7:47pm On Oct 21, 2016
Adekorya:

So, anywhere the king waka go now he go dey cover his mouth? By the way of who dey even dey listen to oba these days?

hmm may, the Benin people still listen to their king and they fully respect him even more than the Governor
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by saintdennis(m): 7:50pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:

Who funds these traditional system presently?

smiles...you're a typical african so easily taught to hate your own heritage.

No p.

They can scrap all the constituent monarchies minus ondo-edo-delta monarchies.

As for me i'd rather push for the division of naija back to pre-colonial boundaries that dissolution of my monarchies that carry the weight of my history.
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Adeevah(m): 7:51pm On Oct 21, 2016
This is educative$

I dey always dey think say oba dey fear to die...oba no want make them release poison for the air wey im dey breath ni

I think say oba dey fear to go transfer through air poisoning
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by guiddoti: 7:54pm On Oct 21, 2016
Principality of accent Edo air lord's huh
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by erico2k2(m): 8:12pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:

modified

Or traditions where we marry out 12 year olds and deny them the right to basic education ?? I can go on and on....
Only if you know howmuch it cost to preserve tradition, ask the English
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by joey150(m): 8:14pm On Oct 21, 2016
tonquendo4u:
Emancipate urself from mental slavery,none but ourselves can free our mind...Ur culture is ur identity.Whether u like it or not.Dont disgrace ur forefathers by posting rubbish

You are missing the point..a culture that does you no good should be abolished.

Jesus said if your eyes would cause you to sin cut it off...the eyes on its own is not a bad thing but what becomes bad is what the eyes make you do.

Our food,language,ceremonies can still be useful.. But most of our traditions are holding us back .
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by joey150(m): 8:25pm On Oct 21, 2016
saintdennis:

smiles...you're a typical african so easily taught to hate your own heritage.

No p.

They can scrap all the constituent monarchies minus ondo-edo-delta monarchies.

As for me i'd rather push for the division of naija back to pre-colonial boundaries that dissolution of my monarchies that carry the weight of my history.

You think if africans where left to keep worshipping sticks and stones that we would have come this far?

Look around you..almost every meaningful thing around us we learnt today was from the west.

Was our tradition then really promoting development? If yes how where we still far under developed that the white men could scare us with guns and our so called charms could not save us. Yes history is good so we can leanr from the past.. Yes not all of our traditions are evil or bad but most of it.

And finally,
Yes we have few great traditions we could hold onto really.

I ask again..presently who funds these traditional systems in Nigeria?? And do they justify the money spent on them year in year out?
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by sinola(m): 8:34pm On Oct 21, 2016
2know1:
OK

Ok,i thot someone mess for there....lmao
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by JuanDeDios: 8:37pm On Oct 21, 2016
GurlFriend:
Yesterday, Oba Ewuare ll N'Ogidigan ascended the revered throne of his ancestors to become the 40th Oba of Benin, succeeding his late father, Omo n’Oba n’Edo Uku Akpolopkolo, Oba Erediauwa.

The photo below of the newly coronated Oba puzzled many people.

Why was the Oba covering his mouth? It was obviously a cultural act but what was the significance? Even his wives covered their mouths.

I did some investigation and found out the following:

The Oba usually covers his mouth because when he talks he is the supreme authority. Whatever he says is final.

People talk on his behalf most of the time and whatever they proclaim becomes the Law with immediate effect.

A friend of mine who is a painter said he did a painting of the old Oba and it was rejected because it depicted him smiling. According to tradition, people are not supposed to see the Oba's teeth so he doesn't smile.

His wives covered their mouths as a sign of submission.

Don't you just love our culture? So rich and varied!

If I have any fact wrong, please clarify.

Oba atokpei, iseeeeeee!!! cheesy

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/10/so-heres-real-reason-new-oba-of-benin.html
Please explain what's lovable and rich about covering your mouth to smile.
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by JuanDeDios: 8:38pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:

modified

You're right. It's okay to preserve culture but culture that adds nothing should be subtracted.
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by evansjeff(m): 8:41pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:

modified

was any of your relatives heads used? or do those women you see there look younger than 30...typical example of how people cause problems for themselves unknowingly, I would rather not comment on what i can't substantiate, stop saying what know nothing about before you cease to exist for no reason!!!
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:

modified

I support you our culture is full of bullshitss
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by domido(m): 8:44pm On Oct 21, 2016
techblogtips:

He is not allowed to see his father face-to-face but is allowed to communicate with his father in some traditional ways. His own mother who used to be killed in times gone by is now specially honored.

Yes,like the way this new oba sent part of his grey hair of his to his father meaning he is getting old. His father just laughed it off.
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by domido(m): 8:45pm On Oct 21, 2016
Ishilove:

So I heard. Wow, it's hard...

What happens if he doesn't have a son?
Hhhmmm!!! I really don't know about that but I all read it up and let you know.
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by summerflame(m): 9:01pm On Oct 21, 2016
The Oba of Benin do cover his nose cos benin people don't normally bath and they are stinking, he doesn't want them to polite the needed oxygen.. if it's a lie, the poster above me knows and the poster below me is From Benin, over to the poster below me
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by seyiojomu(m): 9:03pm On Oct 21, 2016
But his hand will be paining him sha
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by blueeyes1: 9:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
Oba ghator kpere, iseeeeee
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Nobody: 9:18pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:

modified

I dont know of any Oba where i live till [b]they need 7 heads to bury him.. [/b]Is this the type of traditions we should hold onto?

Why not take a closer look?

Granted, the white man brought some good
things, like mirrors, guns and gin... and yes
the English language too!

But you can't just swallow everything from
the white man, just because you want to look
"modern" or "civilized"

You could speak to some elderly people and
you'll learn a lot about how orderly the
pre-colonial days were.

Let me give you an example:

Do you think today's increase in crime is an
accident?

Back in the old days, everybody knew what
each other did for a living. It was easy back
then to know the relatively rare loafers and
miscreants.

But here we are today; in a bid to be
"modern", people are hiding under all sorts
of guises to pretend to be working.

Even the "corruption" we keep hearing about
today, all sorts of atrocities are being
committed by stretching facts with the
English language.

Think about it: you'll find
it easier to lie in English than in your
mother tongue.

Selah!

P.S. That's a rather strong allegation you
made about the 7 heads; I hope you have
evidence!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shilekunola Moronke Naomi Leads Praise & Worship At Ooni's Palace In Ile-ife / Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) / Is Black Magic Real Or Just Made Up To Scare People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.