Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,159 members, 7,953,602 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:20 PM

A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience (23279 Views)

Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) / A Nairalander Shares Overnight Camping At Lufasi Park Lekki / A Nairalander Shares Overnight Beach Camping Experience At Enukunmi Eleko Beach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by yankeedude(m): 5:36pm On Oct 23, 2016
Will definitely visit the place at Xmas
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by tourismlove: 5:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
kayo80:
OP, how is the beach? How much do you have to pay to enter the beach, and are there touts there?

The beach is actually very nice; it gives you this refreshing and relaxing feeling. We paid 100naira per person to enter the beach although you had to pay about 200naira for the boat ride to cross the large lake first. Didn't see any touts the day we went there.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Cutehector(m): 5:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
Talk2bella will not invite me to come and experience all these.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by tourismlove: 5:39pm On Oct 23, 2016
tobillionaire:
Wher d water of forgetfulness

Forgot to take the picture of the well...sorry
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by tourismlove: 5:44pm On Oct 23, 2016
Thisis2raw:
Your next tour should be Nkpor Rumuorlumeni, Port Harcourt Rivers State.

You will like it

Thank you very much...would plan it as one of my trips for next year
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by eyidaythedon(m): 5:50pm On Oct 23, 2016
I am already sick and tired of seeing bdg on a daily basis.... Though it can be quite fun sometimes
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by kayo80(m): 5:51pm On Oct 23, 2016
tourismlove:

The beach is actually very nice; it gives you this refreshing and relaxing feeling. We paid 100naira per person to enter the beach although you had to pay about 200naira for the boat ride to cross the large lake first. Didn't see any touts the day we went there.

Okay. Thanks a lot.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Kirinwa: 6:00pm On Oct 23, 2016
Well op I am glad you made it back to share the good news of your adventure. Its not everyday we get to see such wonderful insights on front page.

I feel like what if those life jackets are actually outdated and not working again and something happened.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Olusharp(m): 6:07pm On Oct 23, 2016
Originalsly:
Post pictures of it if you have. And is this the same 'Well of Forgetfulness? '...tell us some more.

i don't have the picture again.. but it is different from well of forgetfulness..well of forgetfulness is on the dry land linking to the beach, that is the land between the lake and the beach...the well i am saying is at the first building in Nigeria at badagry..

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by semasir: 6:07pm On Oct 23, 2016
No touts there and with N500 max, you'll get entrance there to the beach.

kayo80:
OP, how is the beach? How much do you have to pay to enter the beach, and are there touts there?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by anonimi: 6:09pm On Oct 23, 2016
Thanks, OP for sharing your experience.
We need to emphasise education for ALL our children as a platform to generate the pool of differently skilled people with ideas and who can translate ideas for a viable tourism industry.
Simply sharing federal allocation down the line won't help us.

[img]http://www2.ed.gov/nclb/overview/intro/presentation/Slide1.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Talk2Bella(f): 6:10pm On Oct 23, 2016
Cutehector:
Talk2bella will not invite me to come and experience all these.

i dnt even know those places cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy more of an introvert when im home
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by hydel(m): 6:11pm On Oct 23, 2016
Nice tour brother.

Hope your visit was full of pleasure?

I feel for people whenever they come on visit to badagry for the first time, the kind of joy they express usually touches me, well i am tired of badagry sha, cos that is where i was born and breed infact, i am an indigene, i don't normally find it pleasing to come say Hi to my parent whenever we're on holiday cos I'm tired of living same life jare, next level things...u get nah. but I'm currently home now on a week vacation, i for come carry una go all those places you visited for free cause I'm quiet sure the person appointrd to take you all rounder those places must have charged you guys mercilessly, all those places you made mentioned of are places i normally went to with friends to catch fun, we enters any where anytime, my street name is VLEKETE, that's exactly the vicinity where the slavery market is located, an express road serves a demarcation of our compound from the market, I'm planing to travel abroad for tour on completion of my education either, like you have just did coming to badagry. less i forget, hope those niggars you met selling at the port after crossing 'marina' ( that sandy area where you boarded canoe to cross over that lake to point of no return ) i mean those guys selling the locally made artifacts, hope they didn't task una for money sha?? cos that's their usual behaviour towards new faces o.

Well, "mi bo go le wa tho azan dewo ju" (speaking in our dialet 'egun' which means; kindly sacrifice time to revisit some other times) we love you!

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by kayo80(m): 6:15pm On Oct 23, 2016
semasir:
No touts there and with N500 max, you'll get entrance there to the beach.

Thanks a lot. I am looking for a beach to go to with my friends this Christmas. I am tired of all those beaches along Lekki Express. Do you know if they sell beer and suya at this beach?
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by anonimi: 6:22pm On Oct 23, 2016
hahn:
More Nigerians should visit there and learn how god sat back and watched our ancestors get enslaved, tortured and killed by christian businessmen undecided

I thought our ancestors caught and sold their own brethren for mirrors, dry gin, textiles etc.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by hydel(m): 6:22pm On Oct 23, 2016
tourismlove:

200 what? for that small lake?? it was #30 before recession took over and we actually paying #50 now, indigenes self no dey pay cos na almost all of them be our paddy. the person that show you guys around didn't resist that pay?
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by gunvi: 6:24pm On Oct 23, 2016
kherlly:
so badagry is this fun??

Lemme go call my friend bukola to get ready coz am visitin there soon so she can take me around.
Another good thing about the historic town and the people of badagry is that they accommodate visitors alot....Really, badagry ought to av gone far beyond wat u are seeing but sometimes our govt pay less attraction to tourism.they are only interested in oi!l oil!! and oil!!!.anyway thank God that they av discovered oil too in badagry.so u can see ow blessed d town is. Av been there several times wit my family and always fun .......
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Cutehector(m): 6:26pm On Oct 23, 2016
Talk2Bella:

i dnt even know those places cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy more of an introvert when im home
sha just say d word, and i"ll come

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by lacasera14(m): 6:37pm On Oct 23, 2016
Thisis2raw:
Your next tour should be Nkpor Rumuorlumeni, Port Harcourt Rivers State.

You will like it
guy how fa, that's where I live. there's nothing there to visit.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Originalsly: 6:42pm On Oct 23, 2016
hydel:

200 what? for that small lake?? it was #30 before recession took over and we actually paying #50 now, indigenes self no dey pay cos na almost all of them be our paddy. the person that show you guys around didn't resist that pay?
Bro... don't you hear ching ching ringing loud in your ears? ... try finding out from the older folks as much as you can about the history... while on your little boring stay... try being a tour guide...you only need to start with one person. Request...can you post pics of the Well of Forgetfulness? ... and try finding out what was it about the water...did they put special herbs inside?...was the water oily?...is there water in the well? This should be a study for these university students.... to analyse the water.Linkbwith Kayo80 to jump start your ehmmm....tour guide biz!
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by olumayana: 6:45pm On Oct 23, 2016
Hmmmmmm,days my town for u,so coooool.........hope u enjoyed d few hours spent
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 23, 2016
bayocanny:
Abeg, which one be "ORIGINAL SLAVE ROUTE" grin
as we have original clothes, original shoes, na so we have original places and fake places.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 23, 2016
hydel:
Nice tour brother.

Hope your visit was full of pleasure?

I feel for people whenever they come on visit to badagry for the first time, the kind of joy they express usually touches me, well i am tired of badagry sha, cos that is where i was born and breed infact, i am an indigene, i don't normally find it pleasing to come say Hi to my parent whenever we're on holiday cos I'm tired of living same life jare, next level things...u get nah. but I'm currently home now on a week vacation, i for come carry una go all those places you visited for free cause I'm quiet sure the person appointrd to take you all rounder those places must have charged you guys mercilessly, all those places you made mentioned of are places i normally went to with friends to catch fun, we enters any where anytime, my street name is VLEKETE, that's exactly the vicinity where the slavery market is located, an express road serves a demarcation of our compound from the market, I'm planing to travel abroad for tour on completion of my education either, like you have just did coming to badagry. less i forget, hope those niggars you met selling at the port after crossing 'marina' ( that sandy area where you boarded canoe to cross over that lake to point of no return ) i mean those guys selling the locally made artifacts, hope they didn't task una for money sha?? cos that's their usual behaviour towards new faces o.

Well, "mi bo go le wa tho azan dewo ju" (speaking in our dialet 'egun' which means; kindly sacrifice time to revisit some other times) we love you!
if u are tired of that place then come to idanre in ondo state. U may like what u will see.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Originalsly: 7:05pm On Oct 23, 2016
tourismlove:

Main Points
-Badagry should at this point be a tourism haven where tourists, families, adventurers can come and relax.
-The beach and the surrounding areas should be worked upon and upgraded to attain international standards.
-The Government should do more in improving the aesthetic appeal of Badagry.

So true. Tourism is such a big foreign exchange earner....and this kind historical tourist destination has like no competition.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by ClinicalHope(f): 7:06pm On Oct 23, 2016
Dcaliphate:
Op, I know one miss anambra staying in badagry, let me call her to confirm if all this is true or all photoshop, u know how powerful photoshop is nowadays... angry
Lol @ photoshop. Na original pictures you dey see so. I live at Badagry. Ten years and still counting.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by ClinicalHope(f): 7:11pm On Oct 23, 2016
tourismlove:
I was invited by my friend @travelgeniuz to accompany him and a group of tourists to tour the beautiful town of Badagry.

A brief history; Badagry is a coastal town and local government area in Lagos State. It was a major slave port during the slavery era. It is situated between the city of Lagos and the border with Benin at Seme.

Enough of history, now to the tour; the team set out for Badagry from Oshodi at 8:50am. The journey was an exciting one; everyone got to introduce themselves and talk about what they do. The journey was smooth and gridlock free. We got to Badagry less than 2hrs 30minutes.

Our first stop on this historical tour was the Mobee Slave Relics Museum; where we were shown various chains, pictures, few paintings, tools used in piercing the body parts of the slaves,some other things and an in-depth lesson on slave history in badagry.

From here we moved on to The Badagry Heritage Museum. Here was majorly filled with writings, pictures, sculptors and a few other art works, depicting and telling the story of the slave trade era.

We had a short stop at the first storey building In Nigeria and then the first place Christianity was preached in Nigeria.

Next was on to the famous Badagry beach. Before we could get to the beach though, we had to cross a large lake by boat. This was quite exciting as the thought that I could not actually swim crossed my mind; although we all had life jackets on.

After successfully making it to the other side of the lake, the only structure there was a small wooden souvenir shop selling locally made artifacts; most made out of coconuts. We were able to patronize the shop and buy a few things. Then there was a large expanse of land lying fallow. This I believe could be used either as a resort, a recreational centre, a park or even a zoo.

In the middle of these vast hectares of land is a “well” called the well of forgetfulness. It is said that any slave who drinks of the water forgets about the life he is leaving behind.

After this, was the point of no return. Legend has it that on getting to this point, no slave ever goes back or escapes. It is on to their new master’s country from here.

We all struggled and made our way to the beach where everyone sprang back to life on sighting the water and seeing nature in all its splendor and beauty. It was indeed a lovely time at the beach

Main Points
-Badagry should at this point be a tourism haven where tourists, families, adventurers can come and relax.
-The beach and the surrounding areas should be worked upon and upgraded to attain international standards.
-The Government should do more in improving the aesthetic appeal of Badagry.
-The Government should look into improving infrastructural facilities and amenities in Badagry.
-Kudos to the Lagos state government for the road network to Badagry; atleast from Oshodi to Badagry was a smooth ride.

After a lovely time at the beach, we made our way back to our tour bus, had lunch, played some games and headed back to Oshodi, back to the hustling and bustling of Lagos.

whispering palms is another beautiful place to visit when next you come around.
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by tourismlove: 7:27pm On Oct 23, 2016
olumayana:
Hmmmmmm,days my town for u,so coooool.........hope u enjoyed d few hours spent

Yes i did...thanks
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by semasir: 7:34pm On Oct 23, 2016
Sure they do... You'll súre Enjoy the place.
kayo80:

Thanks a lot. I am looking for a beach to go to with my friends this Christmas. I am tired of all those beaches along Lekki Express. Do you know if they sell beer and suya at this beach?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by Kakamorufu(m): 8:03pm On Oct 23, 2016
what of the old vlekete slave market
Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by hydel(m): 8:29pm On Oct 23, 2016
Kakamorufu:
what of the old vlekete slave market
Bro it has been restructured ooo, all those old upstair buildings built with wood has been restructured to a confirm modern upstairs building ooo, but those new buildings were built using same structure of the old.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Shares His Badagry Tour Experience by kayo80(m): 8:45pm On Oct 23, 2016
semasir:
Sure they do... You'll súre Enjoy the place.

Cool.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

African Union Launches An All-africa Passport, To Be Fully Active By 2018 / Abuja Light Rail Ready For Inauguration / Overloaded Truck Carrying Logs Of Wood In Ilese (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.