Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

I Think I'm Losing My Belief - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Think I'm Losing My Belief (37405 Views)

This Is My Belief Regarding Fish Rain / These People Are Killing My Faith & My Belief Am Backsliding. / How I Lost My Belief In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 25, 2016
With an honest aim of understanding the nature of God and his wonder displayed in nature, I had set out on a quest for 'truth'. As a very inquisitive person, a sound background in scientific methods further fueled my already curious and inquisitive nature beyond normal.

As a kid, I asked several questions;
"Since God created everything that exist, what if God never existed, and hence nothing whatsoever exists? I often tried to picture a dark and void space remaining that way for all of eternity!! Whenever I did, I got lost in my wild imaginations"
"How did God come to be? Who created him?"
"What if God never created life? How would the earth be then? I often repeated same imaginations again but this time with planets, asteroids and other heavenly bodies. Of course I got lost again, severally"
"What if I was never born? So I would never have experienced the beauty of life? Scary!"
"Why did Lucifer ruin the Paradise? For Christ sakes we all would have been there now. Why didn't God even kill Lucifer at once earlier to prevent it? He knew the future!"

I grew up into a devote Christian with different questions;
"With the so many religions on earth could we possibly be worshipping the same God in different ways?"
"If the God I worship in the bible is the one true God and creator of the universe, would he destroy non-christians in hell simply because they worshipped him wrongly?"
"Would God really condemn a devote Christian to hell after years of righteous living simply because he erred one time and dies without repentance? Would he now allow a person who has done heinous things into paradise simply because he finally accepts the salvation story in the end?". I had many more questions that bothered my mind but I'd stop there.

These questions didn't matter so much as I still upheld the Bible as truth and lived by its doctrines. On a second thought they must have sown the seed of doubt in my mind; a seed that came to germinate later on.
A lot of things happened during my undergraduate study that shook my belief but for the sake of brevity, I'd mention a few..
I held the opinion that "compared to clerics, scientists better understood the awesomeness and magnificence of God". Come to think of it this way, with every scientific discovery, scientists reveal God's wonder in nature while clerics keep 'recycling' doctrines written in our ancient Holy Bible. The beautiful works of God in nature were unreconcilable with the barbarisms attributed to him in the bible. When some Bible claims corroborate with scientific findings we're good, but when 'outrageous' claims are found in the Bible, we are convinced that they're metaphorical with deeper meaning. Gradually, it became obvious that science had more credence compared to religion. My religiosity reduced drastically as well as my total trust in the bible as ultimate truth. Not sure anymore, I wondered if there's a creator (God) or not. I mean, 'the Bible must have so poorly described God' I thought.

Aside from bible, I sought knowledge of God from various books on religion, spirituality and nature. I read the Qur'an and it bored me. I came across "Earth's Chronicles, The 12th Planet, and other controversial books by Zecharia Sitchin. They were indeed controversial, and I asked myself 'how did he know all those things?' The works of Thomas Paine is worthy of mention. I agreed with him largely, especially his 'Age of Reason'. I discussed my thoughts with another 'thinker' (I choose not to mention his name) and he introduced me to the 'Sumerian Texts', the 'Epic of Gilgamesh' among other amazing books. Wow! What have I been doing. They shared similarities with the Bible so I couldn't help but wonder and ask more questions. 'Did I believe in a big lie all these while?' ...

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by chloro: 4:03pm On Oct 25, 2016
Think Harder and God will reveal himself to You.

16 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 25, 2016
...Gradually, I had stopped going to my church as frequently as before. They had nothing new to teach me. I also began to form my opinions using empathy, rational enquiry, logic and reason rather than religious dogma. I dropped all my superstitions in favour of evidence about the natural world and things in it. I sought to understand the cause of things rather than stare at them in awe and ascribe them to unseen forces. I accepted reality, made informed decisions about my life and took responsibility for outcome of these decisions.
I suddenly developed this 'strange' love for all of humanity irrespective of religion, culture and race, as much, I try to make it enjoyable for everyone around me. Afterall, what's the point in hoping for a blissful afterlife while living a miserable life. I never felt so happy with so much satisfaction. Unfortunately, I tend to disagree severally with religious people on some issues, especially family. It's quite disheartening that they perceive me as 'bad' & 'lost'. All these happened within the space of 3 years, just before my graduation.

I joined Nairaland earlier but recently stumbled on a post and to my amazement, I wasn't alone after all. I'd love to met some people here in person e.g Johnny, winner, sharon and Seun. You guys are great. Though the atheists make such sarcastic arguments, their points are valid most of the time, while many Christians know so little about religion. These arguments really did a good job in further weakening my belief in the Bible God. If He is there, he'd understand my reasons for doubting the Bible account of him. He should be a just judge.

- Akdegreat

57 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 25, 2016
smiley
You'll come around eventually

6 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by jonbellion(m): 4:14pm On Oct 25, 2016
Akdegreat:
...Gradually, I had stopped going to my church as frequently as before. They had nothing new to teach me. I also began to form my opinions using empathy, rational enquiry, logic and reason rather than religious dogma. I dropped all my superstitions in favour of evidence about the natural world and things in it. I sought to understand the cause of things rather than stare at them in awe and ascribe them to unseen forces. I accepted reality, made informed decisions about my life and took responsibility for outcome of these decisions.
I suddenly developed this 'strange' love for all of humanity irrespective of religion, culture and race, as much, I try to make it enjoyable for everyone around me. Afterall, what's the point in hoping for a blissful afterlife while living a miserable life. I never felt so happy with so much satisfaction. Unfortunately, I tend to disagree severally with religious people on some issues, especially family. It's quite disheartening that they perceive me as 'bad' & 'lost'. All these happened within the space of 3 years, just before my graduation.

I joined Nairaland earlier but recently stumbled on a post and to my amazement, I wasn't alone after all. I'd love to met some people here in person e.g Johnny, winner, sharon and Seun. You guys are great. Though the atheists make such sarcastic arguments, their points are valid most of the time, while many Christians know so little about religion. These arguments really did a good job in further weakening my belief in the Bible God. If He is there, he'd understand my reasons for doubting the Bible account of him. He should be a just judge.

- Akdegreat
you are on the right track man the thought is not rational. At the same time I think you have to know everything to be 100% sure there is no God. I don't know everything so I can't make that kind of claim. At the same time the a Abrahamic God can't be the God that created the universe. His attributes sound like he was made by man and not the other way round

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 25, 2016
If God truly exist I can tell you he's not the God of the Bible or any other scriptures.

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by DeSepiero(m): 4:21pm On Oct 25, 2016
grin
I have similar story, and I asked similar questions. I also agree with your opinion that 'compared to clerics, scientists would better understand the awesomeness and magnificence of God' but ironically studies show that religiosity in the scientific society is much lower compared to the larger society.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 25, 2016
You're not alone bro
I'm gradually pulling away from religion, nothing fascinates me about going to church unlike before. Christians are suffering cos of religion, Pastors aren't helping matters at all cos they seem bigger than God. What's d essence of going to church when d messages preached are repetition of previous messages? I just hope I don't slip away fully

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by hopefulLandlord: 4:29pm On Oct 25, 2016
OP, your case isn't strange

people are dumping the delusion of gods and religion and embracing atheism

just go through the below links

https://www.nairaland.com/3078223/pastor-atheist-why-never-christian

https://www.nairaland.com/3085047/part-2-pastor-atheist-why

https://www.nairaland.com/3084510/faith-facts-collection-thoughts-experience/

https://www.nairaland.com/2045070/thoughts-questions-religion

https://www.nairaland.com/3292061/christian-atheist

https://www.nairaland.com/3353173/losing-fear-death-unbeliever-christianity

those are some of the many Nairaland accounts that have extricated themselves from those archaic tales written by drunk cavemen who had no idea about how the world works

Atheism is spreading all over the Nigeria, people are finally seeing through the veil of religion used to cover their eyes

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 25, 2016
jonbellion:
...Abrahamic God can't be the God that created the universe. His attributes sound like he was made by man and not the other way round...

I tend to agree with you on this.

3 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Raydos: 4:38pm On Oct 25, 2016
i want to ask three questions!

(1) how often do you fast?

(2) do you pray at least 10times a day?

(3) do you distance yourself from sin?

you don't do all these things and you expect GOD to show itself to you! - scientists have tried their best to find where GOD is really is but all to no avail so they conclude that there's no GOD!

just because people Don't see GOD Face to face so they have a mere intuition that GOD Doesn't exist - but funny enough you people have never seen devil in person yet you believe he exist, every bad thing that happen to you, you believe its always the handiwork of devil.

try to do all those 3 aforementioned list up there, and i asure you that GOD will see you in spirit and he will make you understand everything.

i am a living testimony

67 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by felixomor1: 4:39pm On Oct 25, 2016
Akdegreat:
With an honest aim of understanding the nature of God and his wonder displayed in nature, I had set out on a quest for 'truth'. As a very inquisitive person, a sound background in scientific methods further fueled my already curious and inquisitive nature beyond normal.

"Since God created everything that exist, what if God never existed, and hence nothing whatsoever exists? I often tried to picture a dark and void space remaining that way for all of eternity!! Whenever I did, I got lost in my wild imaginations"
"What if God never created life? How would the earth be then? I often repeated same imaginations again but this time with planets, asteroids and other heavenly bodies. Of course I got lost again, severally"
"What if I was never born? So I would never have experienced the beauty of life? Scary!"
"Why did Lucifer ruin the Paradise? For Christ sakes we all would have been there now. Why didn't God even kill Lucifer at once earlier to prevent it? He knew the future!"

"With the so many religions on earth could we possibly be worshipping the same God in different ways?"
"If the God I worship in the bible is the one true God and creator of the universe, would he destroy non-christians in hell simply because they worshipped him wrongly?"
"Would God really condemn a devote Christian to hell after years of righteous living simply because he erred one time and dies without repentance? Would he now allow a person who has done heinous things into paradise simply because he finally accepts the salvation story in the end?". I had many more questions that bothered my mind but I'd stop there.

These questions didn't matter so much as I still upheld the Bible as truth and lived by its doctrines. On a second thought they must have sown the seed of doubt in my mind; a seed that came to germinate later on.
A lot of things happened during my undergraduate study that shook my belief but for the sake of brevity, I'd mention a few..
I held the opinion that "compared to clerics, scientists better understood the awesomeness and magnificence of God". Come to think of it this way, with every scientific discovery, scientists reveal God's wonder in nature while clerics keep 'recycling' doctrines written in our ancient Holy Bible. The beautiful works of God in nature were unreconcilable with the barbarisms attributed to him in the bible. When some Bible claims corroborate with scientific findings we're good, but when 'outrageous' claims are found in the Bible, we are convinced that they're metaphorical with deeper meaning. Gradually, it became obvious that science had more credence compared to religion. My religiosity reduced drastically as well as my total trust in the bible as ultimate truth. Not sure anymore, I wondered if there's a creator (God) or not. I mean, 'the Bible must have so poorly described God' I thought.

Aside from bible, I sought knowledge of God from various books on religion, spirituality and nature. I read the Qur'an and it bored me. I came across "Earth's Chronicles, The 12th Planet, and other controversial books by Zecharia Sitchin. They were indeed controversial, and I asked myself 'how did he know all those things?' The works of Thomas Paine is worthy of mention. I agreed with him largely, especially his 'Age of Reason'. I discussed my thoughts with another 'thinker' (I choose not to mention his name) and he introduced me to the 'Sumerian Texts', the 'Epic of Gilgamesh' among other amazing books. Wow! What have I been doing. They shared similarities with the Bible so I couldn't help but wonder and ask more questions. 'Did I believe in a big lie all these while?' ...

No , u may have never have had a belief.

My opinion though.

5 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 25, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
OP, your case isn't strange

people are dumping the delusion of gods and religion and embracing atheism

just go through the below links

https://www.nairaland.com/3078223/pastor-atheist-why-never-christian

https://www.nairaland.com/3085047/part-2-pastor-atheist-why

https://www.nairaland.com/3084510/faith-facts-collection-thoughts-experience/

https://www.nairaland.com/2045070/thoughts-questions-religion

https://www.nairaland.com/3292061/christian-atheist

https://www.nairaland.com/3353173/losing-fear-death-unbeliever-christianity

those are some of the many Nairaland accounts that have extricated themselves from those archaic tales written by drunk cavemen who had no idea about how the world works

Atheism is spreading all over the Nigeria, people are finally seeing through the veil of religion used to cover their eyes

Thanks for the links bro, I'd look at them in my spare time smiley

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Wilgrea7(m): 4:45pm On Oct 25, 2016
the thing that causes this kind of stuff is curiosity... curiosity kills the cat.. follow Christianity or else you'll burn forever... hahhaahahahahaha(evil laugh)

grin

JUST KIDDING

ok .. concerning your questions... I've been there before and when u try to ask your theist friends they will accuse u of questioning God. and that can be very annoying

truth is.... the qualities i used to describe God were only from what people told me.. not from research.. when u do research you'll find out many answers.

lemme tell u something about God almighty that makes him God
1. he has no beginning... if he did then he's not God
2. he wasn't created. if he was then he's not God
3. he doesn't send anyone to a burning valley for all eternity.. that was a scare tactic used by your ancient church fathers to keep u in line.. u will be judged and either rewarded or punished according to your actions
4. he is definitely not a sadistic person as people paint him to be
5. his word is infallible.. his word is perfect.. his word is Jesus and not some book.

If u learn the true nature of God you'll know that some things ascribed to him are not actually him but someone else in disguise..

questions are gladly welcomed

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by hopefulLandlord: 4:46pm On Oct 25, 2016
felixomor1:

My opinion though.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 25, 2016
Raydos:
i want to ask three questions!

(1) how often do you fast?

(2) do you pray at least 10times a day?

(3) do you distance yourself from sin?

you don't do all these things and you expect GOD to show itself to you! - scientists have tried their best to find where GOD is really is but all to no avail so they conclude that there's no GOD!

just because people Don't see GOD Face to face so they have a mere intuition that GOD Doesn't exist - but funny enough you people have never seen devil in person yet you believe he exist, every bad thing that happen to you, you believe its always the handiwork of devil.

try to do all those 3 aforementioned list up there, and i asure you that GOD will see you in spirit and he will make you understand everything.

i am a living testimony

Must I fast everyday and pray 10 times a day before God reveals himself to me? That sounds ridiculous though.

However, I studied the Bible diligently. In fact I could spend hours on it. I was a worshipper, like David. I was a pianist and I worshipped in songs. I stayed clear of sin too.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Scholar8200(m): 4:51pm On Oct 25, 2016
Akdegreat:

Must I fast everyday and pray 10 times a day before God reveals himself to me? That sounds ridiculous though.

However, I studied the Bible diligently. In fact I could spend hours on it. I was a worshipper, like David. I was a pianist and I worshipped in songs. I stayed clear of sin too.
You said you were a devoted christian. Would you mind telling us briefly how you became one?

4 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 25, 2016
felixomor1:

My opinion though.
Why always this. Anytime a Christian converts. Some theist brings up the No true Scotsman fallacy. I was a devout Christian I changed and so was he. Just accept it.

13 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 25, 2016
Scholar8200:
You said you were a devoted christian. Would you mind telling us briefly how you became one?
I don't mind
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by felixomor1: 4:54pm On Oct 25, 2016
Lennycool:

Why always this. Anytime a Christian converts. Some theist brings up the No true Scotsman fallacy

If u have a different opinion, state it.
I simply stated mine.
And obviously, u dont know what it takes to be a Christian.
Fo u, It's just a title in ur dictionary.
Real christians know its more than that.

3 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Scholar8200(m): 4:55pm On Oct 25, 2016
Akdegreat:

I don't mind
Alright bro, let's hear it.
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 25, 2016
Akdegreat, if you don't mind me asking, What denomination did you belong to? Protestant/Pentecostal?

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by simplex2: 5:01pm On Oct 25, 2016
Welcome dear, you are at the right path of self-discovery. Only the truth shall set you free.

Akdegreat:

I don't mind

Scholar8200:
Alright bro, let's hear it.

TheSixthSense:
Akdegreat, if you don't mind me asking, What denomination did you belong to? Protestant/Pentecostal?

Pls stop answering their questions: they are looking for holes in your story so that they will start blabbing about how you were never a christian in the first place. Thats what they did to Hardmirror: its their usual style.

11 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by otemanuduno: 5:02pm On Oct 25, 2016
Akdegreat:

Take one more step. Visit this link:

2 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 25, 2016
Akdegreat:

I suddenly developed this 'strange' love for all of humanity irrespective of religion, culture and race, as much, I try to make it enjoyable for everyone around me. Afterall, what's the point in hoping for a blissful afterlife while living a miserable life. I never felt so happy with so much satisfaction.
This is so true, being an atheist filled me with a deeper appreciation for life. It gave me something I never had with Christianity, which teaches you that the world was made for humans, this fills you with so much arrogance. The world is going to end anytime soon so we all shouldn't care anyway. Jesus is coming.
As an atheist I see the world as an interconnected system, we need to preserve it. Last time a toad entered my house I couldn't even kill it, I know and accept it plays a role in our ecosystem as do all life.

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 25, 2016
felixomor1:

My opinion though.

Sorry, I had a belief, a strong one just like every other Christian born in a Christian home.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 25, 2016
felixomor1:

If u have a different opinion, state it.
I simply stated mine.
And obviously, u dont know what it takes to be a Christian.
Fo u, It's just a title in ur dictionary.
Real christians know its more than that.
And who are the real Christians?

10 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by felixomor1: 5:05pm On Oct 25, 2016
Akdegreat:

Sorry, I had a belief, a strong one just like every other Christian born in a Christian home.

Ur continuous insistence on "Christian home" makes me say such.
Being born into a Christian home doesnt make u a Christian, hope u know that?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by felixomor1: 5:06pm On Oct 25, 2016
Lennycool:

And who are the real Christians?

Romans 10:9
Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 25, 2016
simplex2:
Welcome dear, you are at the right path of self-discovery. Only the truth shall set you free.
Pls stop answering their questions: they are looking for holes in your story so that they will start blabbing about how you were never a christian in the first place. Thats what they did to Hardmirror: its their usual style.
Atheism isn't a club you simpleton. Stop acting like a spoilt class captain. People drop religion everyday likewise people that find one but everyone has their reasons for making such decisions. My question has nothing to do with you. Also, to burst your bubble because it seems you just started, NOT EVERY ATHEIST WOULD LIKE YOU TO BECOME FRIENDS.

3 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by hopefulLandlord: 5:12pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheSixthSense:

Atheism isn't a club you simpleton. Stop acting like a spoilt class captain. People drop religion everyday likewise people that find one but everyone has their reasons for making such decisions. My question has nothing to do with you. Also, to burst your bubble because it seems you just started, NOT EVERY ATHEIST WOULD LIKE YOU TO BECOME FRIENDS.

10 Likes

Re: I Think I'm Losing My Belief by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2016
felixomor1:

Ur continuous insistence on "Christian home" makes me say such.
Being born into a Christian home doesnt make u a Christian, hope u know that?

Yes I agree with you. But I was an 'active' Christian. I was captain in our children department then. I participated and represented RCCG East 1 province in children's bible quiz severally, even at National convention in the camp. I was an active chorister. I used to sweep and clean the church premises every Saturday with my parents and siblings. Anyone who knows me can attest.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Do You Used To See Repeating Numbers Such As: 11:11, 09:09, 08:08, 07:07, 03:03? / Undergraduate, Suel Ambrose Slumps, Dies Acting Jesus Crucifixion Drama / Love Potions, Love Charms, Love Spells, Enchanted Love...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.