Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,907 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University (13905 Views)

How To Study And Make Good Grades – Tips For Average Students / How To Identify First Year Students (Hilarious Photos) / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by myrrtle(m): 7:37am On Oct 26, 2016
simple stay off the opposite sex, join one good fellowship, understand your lecturer, obey simple instructions, read your book and pray to God. http://careersome.com
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by kvngveektour(m): 7:42am On Oct 26, 2016
hv good friends.that's basically it
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by edudguy(m): 8:10am On Oct 26, 2016
Clinician2000:
My Dear! I did all the Possible Best to get up to First Class in my First Year and Finally ended First year with 3.75..To my Greatest surprise one Olodo come reach 4.4..through Sorting! Chai!!

That sorting dey pain eh if you read finish. Person wey no do anything go still pass you if you no sort
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by we963852: 8:15am On Oct 26, 2016
Only 4 7 9 10 11 were useful for me and still had my best gp in 100
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by lecturerdabo(m): 8:24am On Oct 26, 2016
Noted! Tnx
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by princealexndre(m): 8:54am On Oct 26, 2016
I follow different ways :
1. enter the class early; it helps,you get to sit in the front row
2.Listen and jot well; if you open your mind and ears, you learn faster.
3. Try to answer questions; By doing so, you tend to remember more. trust me!
4.Set a studying time; spend specific time on your studies.. learn to stick to that time.
5. Try to be friendly to your lecturers; Always put on a smile, when you see them.

1 Like

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by enifex007(m): 9:43am On Oct 26, 2016
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Phi001(m): 10:38am On Oct 26, 2016
All these plenty things for secondary school work?

In Yr1, I was very unserious but that didn't stop me from getting over 4 points
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by danxzy: 11:00am On Oct 26, 2016
OP THANKS VERY MUCH, YOU INSPIRE ME THIS MORNING WITH UR WORDS OF ADVICE

THANKS ONCE AGAIN AND GOD BLESS U

rioemmanuel:
Being a scholar entails having good grades in all your courses, while this might sound easy to accomplish, it might actually be one of the toughest thing anyone will experience while on campus.

Good grades are not easy to come by but are very possible to achieve, it is best to say good grades comes with a lot of hard work plus smart work. No wonder most university do not fail to reward those who have done excellently academically.

Though this might sound archaic and more like things we hear everyday, but I will actually be writing from experience and can only hope it will in one way or the other be helpful and probably trigger a soul to do excellently well in this new section. Enjoy!

1. Never miss a class:

But if in case you do, get a friend to tell you all what the lecturer said if possible. Honestly, missing lectures can be dangerous, I can testify to this, it ruined one of my results, I didn't get the note and forgot to read on the topic before examination, most of my questions came from that topic and it had a big blow on my result. Bro, sis, if you are reading this, ensure you read every single topic treated. Never be lackadaisical about it.

2. Jot as much as possible:

While this might be a waste of time since note and other soft copies are available, it is still one of the best way to get lecturers points during lectures. Ensure you have you jotting note with you in order to pen down important things the lecturer might say.

3. Read anything relating to each course:

Yes! Textbooks,encyclopedia,manuals,past notes, just anything on each topics. There are times we say the lecturers set foreign questions, actually he or she didn't set foreign questions he or she only expected us to read wide and consult different materials on each topic.

4. Get past questions :

Past questions are like expo for some courses, you might be lucky to come across half of the treated past questions in your examination. It happens and I'm a living witness.

5. Never procrastinate:

Procrastinating destroys and set you back. Why leave it till the next day when it can be done now? If it is relating to your academics, please don't postpone it, you can postpone others but your books, open them immediately and keep reading.

6. Surround yourself with friends with the same mindset:

You want to be the scholar? Yes, it sounds good but who are your friends? Are they of the same goals as well? If no, then it can't work simply because it is not competitive, you need people with the same mindset to set you balling, you need people who will motivate you to read more than they are doing. Surround yourself with people of the same interest.

7. Get Informed:

Information is key, always stay updated about the latest in your department, always know if the lecture will hold or not and where and when. Never rely on a single source, get the class rep contact and if possible some of your lecturers contact as well. Remember, the gap between ignorance and knowledge is information

8. Avoid frivolity:

Wasting precious time on unnecessary activities won't take you there. Avoid activities that takes time without no positive impact. Use that time to go through your works and learn what you didn't get at first.

9. Learn from others:

This alone can be an ultimate way to attaining good grades. Having those who are scholar of your department to guide you works really well as you will learn new strategy from them

10. Have that mindset:

No one can achieve this without having a driving force to do so, this feat isn't for a livid minded individual, this feat can only be achieved by those with a burning desire to excel and a desperate heart to top the class even against all odds. Of course, it starts from the mind, always have that positive mindset.

11. Pray:

Whether a muslim or christian or traditionalist or buddhism, whatever religion you belong to, just hold on to it.

Happy new academic section
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by lordthree(m): 12:56pm On Oct 26, 2016
It's important to discover the studying pattern that suits you, and time and place to study, people are different and it's really important as a fresher you identify what suits you, just because your friends pull all nighters at the library or in class doesn't mean it'll work for you, my suggestion is try studying in different areas, library or in your apartment, study during the day, early in the morning and at night and figure out what time and place you assimilated more, once you identify it, stick to it.

Personally I enjoy studying at night and after naps, the min I wake up I pick up a book and start jotting down, every paragraph I summarize what I've read.

Also it's important to know what kind of learner you are, are you more of a visual learner or do you learn better based on things you hear? If you're a visual learner try watching YouTube videos on the particular topic you're studying, and take notes, I personally solve exam questions ( past questions) and I rewrite the answer I spend three days before the exam rewriting the answers to different questions continuously and non stop till the exam day, it might seem like you haven't studied but I promise you the min you get to the exam Hall and see a similar question the answer starts pouring out of you.

If you're an auditory learner just record your lecturer in class with your phone and listen listen and listen also you can also record yourself reading out your notes and how you understand what you've read

_ Also find out from senior colleagues how different lecturers like their questions answered in exams, can also figure that out from how the lecturer answers questions asked by your peers in class.

I found this all out by myself after my first and only carry over in year one, after that carry over I had to reassess what I was doing wrong and I found this all out, graduated with a 2:1 in political science from a federal school. . Really hope someone learns from my experience... Sometimes I imagine if I knew all this in year one damn would've been awesome.

And yea like the op said just forget parties and girlfriends/boyfriends I know the new found freedom gets to one's head but it's not worth it believe me, four years goes by really really fast so just focus and after I promise you you can flex all you want during NYSC!

2 Likes

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by barajumbo: 1:48pm On Oct 26, 2016
Thanks for dis i believe dis will HELP me wen i start leactures i rep NDU
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by PROWESX(m): 3:49pm On Oct 26, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
oga leave story,we all know olodos in class,we know people whho are brilliant and don't make noise,we know people who are brilliant and noise makers,we know people who are brilliant and still sort,who told you that is only two of your friends that know your true abilities?...dey decieve yourself.......you will be surprised by people whho monitor your academic grades...dey there!!!
very true bro.... atimes you will be wondering whether they use gps to track your grades.
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by rioemmanuel(m): 10:41pm On Oct 26, 2016
Wow! Glad I made front page
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by rioemmanuel(m): 10:42pm On Oct 26, 2016
Phi001:
All these plenty things for secondary school work?

In Yr1, I was very unserious but that didn't stop me from getting over 4 points
You were unserious, but you knew you way
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by rioemmanuel(m): 10:45pm On Oct 26, 2016
danxzy:
OP THANKS VERY MUCH, YOU INSPIRE ME THIS MORNING WITH UR WORDS OF ADVICE

THANKS ONCE AGAIN AND GOD BLESS U

You are welcome bro

1 Like

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 29, 2020
Thanks a lot for this valuable tips! I've learned how to get good grades in highschool and wrote my own article if you are interested!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eksu List Is Out / Only Senate, Academic Boards Of Universities Can Admit - JAMB / Amazing Futuristic Technologies You May Live To See.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.