Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,990 members, 7,814,379 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job - Jobs/Vacancies (581) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job (3681205 Views)

NNPC Experienced Hire Recruitment: Coalition Calls On Buhari, NASS To Intervene / CBN Recruitment 2020: Graduate Trainee & Experienced (6 Positions) / Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 GT & EH Job (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (578) (579) (580) (581) (582) (583) (584) ... (992) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by dprpikin: 5:22pm On Jun 12, 2018
OutOfTheAshes:
Those instruments are not common, they are used for serious geophysical explorations and couldn't remember them

Unless that
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by chideozi: 5:23pm On Jun 12, 2018
dprpikin:

If I may ask, how do you know that the test score was given a higher percentage in comparison to the test?

I might not be able to justify the test score affirmatively but i know for certain the test score is a strong determinant going into the interview. The final result is average of the test and interview.

And someone jokingly said you have to have a degree of Aptitude to work here that is why you take aptitude test and you've got to know what you would be working on that is why we have skill test. And excellent skill doesn't always give you the job if you spent the whole day being skillful without getting the job done on time. We need someone who has the right aptitude with the right skill set to complete the job as fast as possible. That is aptitude and it is hallmark of a Performer (smiles)

Lets forget all these debate. They know how and who they have given their jobs joor. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by 9jasam: 5:24pm On Jun 12, 2018

1 Like

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by dprpikin: 5:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
chideozi:

I might not be able to justify the test score affirmatively but i know for certain the test score is a strong determinant going into the interview. The final result is average of the test and interview.

And someone jokingly said you have to have a degree of Aptitude to work here that is why you take aptitude test and you've got to know what you would be working on that is why we have skill test. And excellent skill doesn't always give you the job if you spent the whole day being skillful without getting the job done on time. We need someone who has the right aptitude with the right skill set to complete the job as fast as possible. That is aptitude and it is hallmark of a Performer (smiles)

Lets forget all these debate. They know how and who they have given their jobs joor. undecided

Ok. I wanted to confirm if it was an opinion or a fact you know of.

In all, every recruiter has what he prioritizes over the other. However, most recruiters will most likely skip aptitude test than interview. That doesn't render aptitude test useless or any less important. It is a matter of choice and convenience.

2 Likes

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 12, 2018
I know for sure, for the last DPR recruitment( not this current one) based on first hand info, aggregate of aptitude test and interview score was used, the percentage weight of each is what I d not know.
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2018
Onyiridike:
In my honest opinion, DPR already know the candidates who are more likely to get the job based on test performance before interview.
At the end of the interview I was asked "do u have any questions for us " then I asked what is the plan of DPR in the next 2years for the new recruit. And these are their exact words "by the end of 2years we must have trained you to be able to take charge and question IOCs and other operators to make sure they apply best practices in their operation"
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by iman62588: 6:16pm On Jun 12, 2018
The thread is lively.. People recounting their interview experiences
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by pedroito: 6:22pm On Jun 12, 2018
Nawa for Onyiridike. She will come and drop one and move on without clarifying. She should come and clear us on why she made the comment that the test score has more weight than the interview
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Lawalu2(m): 6:35pm On Jun 12, 2018
Onyiridike:
In my honest opinion, DPR already know the candidates who are more likely to get the job based on test performance before interview.
I also think of that,but y?
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Lawalu2(m): 7:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
9jasam:
all i know is dat i am d only one from my state. LAGOS
angry shocked
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Onyiridike(f): 7:05pm On Jun 12, 2018
chideozi:

You took the words out of my mouth.
In every massive recruitment in a big organization, aptitude test is the rate limiting step. Sometimes there may be no need for any interview. Some organization will simply invited high-scoring candidates for a chat followed by documentation, medical and offer letter.
If you want to get any job on merit, do well in the aptitude test. That maybe your only edge over other candidates.
A HR expert said that in most cases they use interview to screen credentials and examine the personality of the candidates. According to him, unless a high scoring candidate has fake credentials and questionable personality that may not fit in the organizational culture, he/she is sure of the job.
Some banks now use personality test and assessment center to evaluate candidates ' personality and team spirit.

I encourage some of us to check what some of these tests is actually looking for in a candidate via www.assessmentday.co.uk

Fellow hopefuls, job aptitude test is not just like school examination. Each section is evaluating a particular skill and ability that would be needed in the real job situation.

For instance if you answer all 10 questions and fail 4, you have scored 60% but with 60% accuracy. Another candidate who answered only 3 questions out of 10 has scored 30% with 100% accuracy. It may shock you but the candidate with 30% speed and 100% accuracy will be selected. The reason is that if given a task, the chances of error is minimal. He may not finish the task very fast but he is a perfectionist.

3 Likes

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Harddiskng(m): 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2018
9jasam:
all i know is dat i am d only one from my state. LAGOS

The only Lagos indigene interviewed for GT-Statistician role you mean.

Based on the Federal Character; you are still competing with people from your state (Lagos) for number of slots made available to Lagos state right. Somebody please clarify.
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Onyiridike(f): 7:18pm On Jun 12, 2018
pedroito:
Nawa for Onyiridike. She will come and drop one and move on without clarifying. She should come and clear us on why she made the comment that the test score has more weight than the interview
I just did
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by makonko(m): 7:20pm On Jun 12, 2018
Harddiskng:

The only Lagos indigene interviewed for GT-Statistician role you mean.

Based on the Federal Character; you are still competing with people from your state (Lagos) for number of slots made available to Lagos state right. Somebody please clarify.

I think he's in an unopposed position
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Harddiskng(m): 8:05pm On Jun 12, 2018
makonko:

I think he's in an unopposed position

If this is the case, then it gets a bit confusing. There were 18 roles advertised for GT. Allocating at-least a slot for each role (18) in each state (36) would amount to 648 people. That is definitely not going to happen.

Assuming each state is to be equally represented, all things being perfect and equal; 300 GTs are to be employed thats roughly 8 people per state.

Meaning 10 roles won’t be filled for Lagos. What if he is not even in the top 17 in terms of overall scores representing each role for Lagos indigenes. How do they determine who and who gets dropped. (my statistician brother no vex, you go collect APL; I just dey try understand).

From where i stand, even with the administration of standardized tests; this Federal Character tingy has created too much unnecessary room for chance and wastage of talent angry or is there something I am missing.

2 Likes

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by 9jasam: 8:31pm On Jun 12, 2018
Harddiskng:

If this is the case, then it gets a bit confusing. There were 18 roles advertised for GT. Allocating at-least a slot for each role (18) in each state (36) would amount to 648 people. That is definitely not going to happen.

Assuming each state is to be equally represented, all things being perfect and equal; 300 GTs are to be employed thats roughly 8 people per state.

Meaning 10 roles won’t be filled for Lagos. What if he is not even in the top 17 in terms of overall scores representing each role for Lagos indigenes. How do they determine who and who gets dropped. (my statistician brother no vex, you go collect APL; I just dey try understand).

From where i stand, even with the administration of standardized tests; this Federal Character tingy has created too much unnecessary room for chance and wastage of talent angry or is there something I am missing.

i like ur analysis but u got it wrong in some places.
assuming d least slot for any state is 5. all first 5 in each state r picked. then some post will be vacant. if lagos and gombe(just assuming) slot is 5 , dat is all for them. those vacant post will b filled by the next minimum across other states. lets say d next minimum is 8. other post will b filled by d next 3 rank across all states with 8 and above slots. the process goes to d next minimum, and so on until all quota are satisfied. i hope u can make sense of this.

1 Like

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Babagy823: 8:35pm On Jun 12, 2018
9jasam:

assuming d least slot for any state is 5. all first 5 in each state r picked. then some post will be vacant. if lagos and gombe(just assuming) slot is 5 , dat is all for them. those vacant post will b filled by the next minimum across other states. lets say d next minimum is 8. other post will b filled by d next 3 rank across all states with 8 and above slots. the process goes to d next minimum, and so on until all quota are satisfied. i hope u can make sense of this.
lol
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Captain777(m): 8:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
It's interesting reading your revelations with regard to aptitude test and interviews. I think the next DPR recruits won't have problem understanding how the system works especially now that you've giving them all the hints.

We were not fortunate to have all the hints as most of us went to the test and interview clueless, not knowing exactly where the questions will come from.

Okay on the serious note. Has the FCC approved the list? When should we expect the calls from DPR?

Cc
Neverdown999
Ferguson
Legend90
Xxkape
Smartgrid
Tamihawtt

2 Likes

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Harddiskng(m): 8:43pm On Jun 12, 2018
9jasam:

I understand you. Based on your explanation it kinda boils down to my point; no automatic ticket is guaranteed based on being the only person interviewed for a particular role in a particular state except if that person is among the top 5 (or the maximum number of slots available for that state).

Choi, na God hand the matter dey now.
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Harddiskng(m): 8:46pm On Jun 12, 2018
Babagy823:
lol

This man no dey laugh for there, if you know something we don’t know abeg pitch in.
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by chideozi: 8:51pm On Jun 12, 2018
Harddiskng:

This is quite easy to understand. Let me use this example. Lets say 25 geologist are needed in this particular (DPR 2016) recruitment. Now there are specific number of applicants needed per zone. That means the 25 would be shared among the 6 geopolitical zones.

The best applicants from each state will have to compete for positions slotted for their geopolitical zones (this was clearly explained in FCC site). Now for example the Southeast have only 5 slot out of the 25 geology slots. Now the best five is taken making sure that each state (Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo) makes that final list. This is also applied across other zones.

So after we scaled our state, we have to compete for positions on a zonal level and each state in that zone must all be represented.

The selection is rigorous and it will not be easy for those in charge of that. And it is very COMPETITIVE. Just the very best makes it at last.

2 Likes

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Harddiskng(m): 8:56pm On Jun 12, 2018
chideozi:

This is quite easy to understand. Let me use this example. Lets say 25 geologist are needed in this particular (DPR 2016) recruitment. Now there are specific number of applicants needed per zone. That means the 25 would be shared among the 6 geopolitical zones.

The best applicants from each state will have to compete for positions slotted for their geopolitical zones (this was clearly explained in FCC site). Now for example the Southeast have only 5 slot out of the 25 geology slots. Now the best five is taken making sure that each state (Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo) makes that final list. This is also applied across other zones.

So after we scaled our state, we have to compete for positions on a zonal level and each state in that zone must all be represented.

The selection is rigorous and it will not be easy for those in charge of that. And it is very COMPETITIVE. Just the very best makes it at last.

Much better.

Brothers & Sisters! If you were thinking my analysis makes the odds very slim, this makes the odds slimest*

This is competition at its peak cheesy

*Modified*

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: If Nairaland Dpr applicants are a small subset of the total population (3,000), it is not impossible that no Nairaland Dpr applicant would be called but with God all things are possible.

1 Like

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by OutOfTheAshes(m): 9:15pm On Jun 12, 2018
Abeg any update... I think we have deliberated enough on this test, interview, merit and what not... grin
Can we now move forward from all that undecided
I think the main thing now is to know when DPR will call successful candidates. I pray the odds be in our favour as we earnestly hope to hear from DPR. This recruitment should just come to an end so we can move on with our lives undecided

1 Like

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Lawalu2(m): 9:57pm On Jun 12, 2018
Where is Ferguson?? plz�say something shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by DouglasHoc(m): 10:40pm On Jun 12, 2018
Captain777:
It's interesting reading your revelations with regard to aptitude test and interviews. I think the next DPR recruits won't have problem understanding how the system works especially now that you've giving them all the hints.

We were not fortunate to have all the hints as most of us went to the test and interview clueless, not knowing exactly where the questions will come from.

Okay on the serious note. Has the FCC approved the list? When should we expect the calls from DPR?

Cc
Neverdown999
Ferguson
Legend90
Xxkape
Smartgrid
Tamihawtt

Bro, Have you resumed at Firs. Heard they inducted last week.

1 Like

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Captain777(m): 11:15pm On Jun 12, 2018

1 Like

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Crane1: 11:17pm On Jun 12, 2018
Captain777:
Yes induction was last week. We'll receive posting this week. Work starts next week Tuesday. All is set.

Good for you bro... However, what if you are favoured for DPR, what then will happen?
Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Frankworld: 11:20pm On Jun 12, 2018
PROCEDURES FOR RECRUITMENT INTO THE
FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICES

1. The Federal Character commission is mandated by Paragraphs 8(1)(a) and (b) of section C, part 1, Third schedule t the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to:

“work out an equitable formula, subject to the approval of the National Assembly, for distribution of all cadres of posts in the Public Service of the federation and of the States, the Armed Forces of the Federation, the Nigeria Police force and other government security Agencies, government owned companies/parastatals of the states” and to “promote, monitor and enforce compliance with the principle of proportional sharing of al bureaucratic, economic, media and political posts at all levels of government”.

2. The Commission is further empowered by Section 4(1)(g)(i) of the federal Character Commission (Establishment, etc.) Act Cap F7 laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004, to:

“ensure that all ministries and Extra-Ministerial Departments, agencies and other bodies affected by this Act have clear criteria indicating the conditions to be fulfilled and comprehensive guidelines on the procedure for determining eligibility and the procedure for employment in the public and private sectors of the economy”.

3. In furtherance of the measures aimed at ensuring compliance with these constitutional and statutory provisions, the following procedure shall be followed in filling all vacancies, particularly at the entry point:

each MDA shall ensure proper manpower planning in accordance with its authorized staffing/manning level;
When there is a need to recruit staff, available vacancies shall be harvested and identified cadre by cadre;
The spread of al vacancies to be filled shall be predetermined in relation to the current levels of (Federal Character) representation, by states or zones, at a joint meeting of MDA and the FCC;
The MDA shall ensure, and provide comprehensive job description (academic qualifications and cognate experience) required for each vacant position;
All vacancies shall be advertised in at least two newspapers circulating nationally, giving prospective candidates, a minimum of six weeks within which to apply;
In filling the allotted vacancies, adequate consideration shall be given to gender representation and the physically challenged;
Where candidates are required to apply on-line, hard copies of such applications shall nevertheless be accepted;
In the event of candidates being required to buy Scratch Cards, the costs shall not be more than Five hundred Naira only;
Where the services of Consultants are engaged by any employer of labour in the federal Public service, it shall be the duty of such MDA to acquaint the Consultant with the process outlined herein for strict compliance. The Consultant shall disclose, in the advertisement, the MDA on which behalf he is acting. Responsibility for such compliance shall be with the MDA.
(4) Only candidates who have met the basic minimum requirements for each position shall be shortlisted for interview or any other selection process. Under no circumstances shall an unqualified candidate be shortlisted purportedly on the basis of federal character considerations. However, a candidate who has met the basic minimum requirements shall be eligible to complete for posts reserved for his State and/or Zone, and shall not be penalized or disadvantaged in favour of a candidate from another state or zone who may posses’ higher qualifications.

(5) At the close of advertisement, and from the long list of all applications received, a shortlist of qualified candidates shall be compiled for interview or any other mode of selection on State by State basis:

a. drawing as much as possible, in equal number, from each State of the Federation and approximately a third of that number from the FCT, indicating also, the Local Government Area of origin. (Where an aptitude test or any other type of written or oral test is required as part of the selection process, the compilation of results shall be on State by State basis, in order to enable the best candidates from each State and the FCT to be employed).

b. the best and most competent candidates from each State of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory shall be shortlisted to compete for positions reserved for their respective States/Zones.

(6) The list of successful candidates shall be compiled and, at a special joint meeting of the MDA and the FCC, and matched, for consistency, with the pre-determined distribution formulae.

(7) a. A Certificate of Compliance (with the FCC principles/guidelines) shall be issued as final authorization for the release of letters of appointment to successful candidates by the recruiting MDA (No MDA shall issue Letters of Appointment to candidates without this Certificate).

b. The list of all successful candidates shall be published in at least two newspapers, circulating nationally by the MDA.

(cool WARNING

a. Section 4(1)(e) of the FCC Act empowers the Commission to intervene in any recruitment process where the provisions of this Circular has been, is been or is likely to be contravened by any MDA.

b. Section 16 of the same act provides:

Subject to the constitution, where any provision of this Act is inconsistent with the provisions of any other law or enactment, the provisions of this Act shall to the extent of that inconsistency prevail.

c. Therefore, any person or institution (whose activities are covered under the FCC (2004) that carries out recruitment, in whatever form or guide, and without appropriate advertisement and observance of these guidelines shall be committing an offence under section 14, punishable under Section 15 of the FCC Act.

(9) It shall be the responsibility of all Permanent secretaries/Chief Executives of all Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments, service Chiefs, Inspector-general of Police, parastatals, Agencies and other federal Government establishments to ensure compliance with these procedures.

10 This Circular takes effect from the 1st day of September, 2008 and supersedes all previous Circulars on this subject.

Prof. Shuaibu Oba AbdulRaheem

(Talba Ilorin)

Executive Chairman

3 Likes

Re: Department Of Petroleum Resources - 2016 Graduate Trainee &experienced Hire Job by Azijo: 2:42am On Jun 13, 2018
Greatsabari:
When I entered there were 3 people in the panel.They asked me to sit down and be calm. The first question they asked me was my name and to give them brief history about myslef to which I did.The first man on the panel asked me about global warming that I should explain it to a layman to which I did.The second;a woman asked me based on my experience in the oil and gas industry I should explain the meaning of IOC to her which means International Oil Companies. She then asked me to mention 3 operating in Nigeria to which I did.They asked the 3 person to asked me any question to which he said he don't have any.They asked whether I have masters to which I replied is in view and I even have a local ptdf scholarship covering that.They now asked me that why am I leaving my Job for Ptdf to which I replied because I want to try a new challenge and contribute my quota to the nation's oil and gas industry.Another one told me in DPR they have a lot of bosses do I mind?I told him no because me too I believe I will rise in the Job and one day I will reach the top.They now asked to asked them any question to which I said I don't have any.They wish me luck and I told them bye and left.

If u ever tendered ur Masters qualification as a GT, keep praying harder cos that is only a bonus 4 EHs and not GTs. Remember they have the same salary scale 4 all GTs with Bachelor's Degree and don't want you to start aggitating 4 promotion (Boss) barely after 2 yrs of ur resumption; when there may actually be no room just above; which is why they never allowed GTs upload anything beyond first degree even during the profile update call. But during the interview, they 'll persuade u to think of it as a plus, so u can say the truth.

(1) (2) (3) ... (578) (579) (580) (581) (582) (583) (584) ... (992) (Reply)

Apply For 2019 NNPC Graduate Trainee And Experience Hire / Monthly Net Salary Of Federal Government Ministries,departaments, Agencies And P

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.