Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ (1567 Views)

Osinbajo: I Was Elected, So Why Should I Resign? / I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty- Jonathan / Stella Oduah Elected President Of ECOWAS Female Parliamentarians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by DaudaAbu(m): 7:18am On Oct 26, 2016

Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan has, Monday, said that he was never elected as Nigeria's president to spread poverty but to generate and spread wealth.

Jonathan who spoke at the Oxford Union, with the theme ‘Fostering Youth Entrepreneurship, and succeeding US Secretary of State who spoke at the same event in May this year, said that only being entrepreneurial can completely cure poverty and not having a job or working for someone.

“I once said that I was not elected President of Nigeria to spread poverty; I was elected to generate and spread wealth.”

“My belief in this regard is that getting a job or being a worker cannot completely cure the disease of poverty. It is only your own business that can provide such security and give you the financial freedom you need to prosper.”

Dr. Jonathan, whose speech was streamed live, rhetorically queried his audience asking why some nations are rich and others remain poor.

”Why are some nations rich and some poor? Why do individuals that grow up in similar circumstances end up differently, with some as successes and others as failures?”

“Is the wealth of nations a result of geography, weather, culture, destiny, etc.? What could a leader do to effectively lift a people out of the depths of poverty and enable them to achieve prosperity?” asked Jonathan.

The former Nigerian leader talked about youth entrepreneurship programs his administration pioneered, saying that one of them, YouWIN, was a major plank of his job creation efforts.

“The motivation for this program is for young people to go into SMEs, create jobs for other young people with the expectation that some would grow to large scale businesses” Dr. Jonathan said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/elected-president-spread-wealth-not-poverty-jonathan/
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 26, 2016
nice one. hi modath

2 Likes

Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by emiwanlee(m): 7:34am On Oct 26, 2016
You truly did your best in all sincerity, but hatred for you will hunt nigeria for a long time

3 Likes

Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by gists: 7:37am On Oct 26, 2016
DaudaAbu:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/elected-president-spread-wealth-not-poverty-jonathan/
My goodness!!
This dumb a$s still dey talk? after scandering the highest oil revenue in the history of this nation with majority of the civil servant owed several months of salaries and BH ravaged north east like we didn't have government.
I can understand why the PMB administration doesn't want to probe this man because of sensitivity and national security. But I don't get why the IB himself will not cover his head in shame and just lielow.

Spreading wealth indeed. Tell that crap to the people of your state that are threatened by snakes

[size=14pt]Snakes cause panic in Bayelsa[/size]
Sudden appearances of snakes especially Cobras on streets and homes in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State capital is creating panic among residents.

Some persons attributed the development to consistent rainfalls and floods experienced in many parts of the capital city.

Others, however, said the underdeveloped nature of Yenagoa which has bushes, unkempt canals and many undeveloped plots of land provide safe haven for snakes and reptiles.
http://thenationonlineng.net/snakes-cause-panic-bayelsa/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by ezechueze(m): 7:39am On Oct 26, 2016
OK
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by judedave181: 7:43am On Oct 26, 2016
T
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by greatiyk4u(m): 7:52am On Oct 26, 2016
Spread wealth among ur cronnies abi?

U decieved me with promise of fresh air for 5 good years n still have the effontry to spew more trash instead of going round the country to appollogise to us

2 Likes

Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by nwasinachi(f): 7:59am On Oct 26, 2016
God bless u gej, wealth indeed flowed during your tenure. I was very comfortable then unlike now

1 Like

Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by Alexk2(m): 8:01am On Oct 26, 2016
I see

You'll be rewarded according to your works by your creator.
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by otukpo(f): 8:02am On Oct 26, 2016
Nigeria felt it.
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by modath(f): 8:05am On Oct 26, 2016
NgcoboP:
nice one. hi mo

Hi... Of course he spread unbelievable wealth to his party members, hangers on & criminal warlords.....

BTW, you are being civil? Hope everything is ok? Probably lesson learnt the "hard" way... cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 26, 2016
modath:

Hi... Of course he spread unbelievable wealth to his party members, hangers on & criminal warlords.....

BTW, you are being civil? Hope everything is ok? Probably lesson learnt the "hard" way... cool
where do you belong... obviously not APC or PDP?
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by modath(f): 8:10am On Oct 26, 2016
NgcoboP:

where do you belong... obviously not APC or PDP?

I'm pro PPP.. Peace, Progress & prosperity for "ALL"

2 Likes

Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 26, 2016
modath:

I'm pro PPP.. Peace, Progress & prosperity for "ALL"
on what platform?
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by Hedonistically: 8:23am On Oct 26, 2016
Fantastic speech.
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by wickyyolo: 8:32am On Oct 26, 2016
People will say he spread wealth for his croonies. Even though he spread it to his croonies it still reached the common man. Now that Buhari is keeping more for only him and his family people will say there is no corruption. The masses always hate the truth and want to be deceived.
God Bless GEJ
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by modath(f): 8:39am On Oct 26, 2016
NgcoboP:

on what platform?

Platform? Always has been & will forever remain fairness & self preservation..... in other words, for common good but not at my & mine's expense.... Won't carry another's baggage on my head while barely able to kick/pull mine forward....

Have a nice day.. cool
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 26, 2016
modath:

Platform? Always has been & will forever remain fairness & self preservation..... in other words, for common good but not at my & mine's expense.... Won't carry another's baggage on my head while barely able to kick/pull mine forward....

Have a nice day.. cool
enjoy your day
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by Funlordjnr: 9:37am On Oct 26, 2016
I never knew that oxford allows guests to give speeches with a bottle of ogogoro next to them while on the podium? Nice 1......

grin
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by drss2(m): 9:44am On Oct 26, 2016
Funlordjnr:

I never knew that oxford allows guest to give speeches with a bottle of ogogoro next to them while on the podium? Nice 1......

grin
a position ur entire village pipul will never attain till d world ends.
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by drss2(m): 9:50am On Oct 26, 2016
gists:

My goodness!!
This dumb a$s still dey talk? after scandering the highest oil revenue in the history of this nation with majority of the civil servant owed several months of salaries and BH ravaged north east like we didn't have government.
I can understand why the PMB administration doesn't want to probe this man because of sensitivity and national security. But I don't get why the IB himself will not cover his head in shame and just lielow.

Spreading wealth indeed. Tell that crap to the people of your state that are threatened by snakes

u tink GEJ as a former president doesn't know d dirty deals of govt officials n top appointees especially former presidents do u know dat buari served under abacha, same abacha d world is still unable to calculated d total sums of his loots did u know why GEJ said its impossible for dasuki to steal $2 billion u will find out wen dasuki trial commence.
i ashua u dat d moment buari probes GEJ's govt, d resultant investigations will exposed buari as a scam n a liar.
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by Funlordjnr: 9:51am On Oct 26, 2016
cheesy
drss2:
a position ur entire village pipul will never attain till d world ends.

Frustrated, buffoon supporting, corruption loving, recession beaten, extremely pained, starving online miscreant spotted!
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by izombie(m): 9:58am On Oct 26, 2016
You brought wealth but they said they wanted mr integrity. You brought plenty but they said they wanted scarcity. You brought transformation but they said na change them want. You brought riches but they said they'd rather become poor than vote you again. Then you said ok, here is your mr integrity and change. Now the zombies are poor and wretched.
You were surely a blessing, gej.
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by deji68: 9:58am On Oct 26, 2016
Abio ...increased the wages of corper and workers, youwin, graduate internship Programm, ges for Farmers, fertiliser for Farmers. polio eradication ...policies that help the masses etc the list is long God bless GEJ
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by AustonBee: 10:06am On Oct 26, 2016
Na true talk boo. God bless u.
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by DaudaAbu(m): 10:07am On Oct 26, 2016
Ofcourse he can afford to spread wealth. While oil was selling for above $120, and the budget benchmark about $70,

And wealth spread within cronies enriches only a few, wealth spent on infrastructure and amenities benefits all
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by slivertongue: 10:19am On Oct 26, 2016
GEJ sir, u made horrific mistakes during ur time as president bt u wia forward thinking and innovative. if only dis govt can avoid those mistakes and improve on ur innovation or even introduce theirs Nigerians wud b eva b hapi. bt their consistent inconsistency has killed the economy.
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by obailala(m): 10:25am On Oct 26, 2016
He was elected to spread wealth and he surely did spread the wealth, albeit illegally and carelessly to the wrong people. Even morons with the slightest link to Aso Rock began owning and flying private jets and GEJ bragged about it as an achievement.

Fast-forward to when the money stopped flowing in and everything collapses; zero savings, economy collapses, hunger takes over and the blame goes to the new leaders who stepped in at a time of peril, a peril which is the direct result of the indiscretions of the PhD holding father-christmas who thought and strangely still thinks and brags that his duty was to share national wealth to his friends and colleagues without any meaningful infrastructural development on ground which can benefit the commoners.

Certainly there are different ways to spread wealth; wealth spread around wisely gets to reach the common man and it stands the test of time in form of tangible infrastructure, but wealth spread foolishly dissappears as it comes on the day the income stops flowing. Nigeria is suffering from the latter.
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by clefstone(m): 10:28am On Oct 26, 2016
We luv u GEJ
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by Eshinkan: 10:29am On Oct 26, 2016
Jonathan has no shame...a crooked hand who corruptly allowed the pilfering of the nations wealth should be burying his head in shame and not exhibiting his renowned stupidity for the world to see.....
Re: I Was Elected President To Spread Wealth, Not Poverty - GEJ by muykem: 11:55am On Oct 26, 2016
GEJ has finally proved to be a century mistake. Even in south east there is no singular federal road that is motorable. You spread wealth by illegally enriched some of your close pally and leave the rest of country in abject poverty inside abundance.

(1) (2) (Reply)

DSS Accuse Gov Wike of Planning Mayhem, Breakdown of Law and Order in Abuja / 2017 Anambra Election: The Profile Of The Man Obidigbo / Woman Cuts Off Husband Manhood Over Infidelity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.