Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,164 members, 7,829,163 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 - Travel (165) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (980226 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (416) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MiddyO(f): 3:59pm On Mar 09, 2017
Austine2020:
It will surely pose a problem,but u can only avert the problem by making sure u got a Nigeria passport for him.It appears to them that he has overstayed his visa and the only way out is for u to wait and get a nigerian Passport for him to avoid unforeseen circumstances that might occour at the Airport with Nigerian immigration.

Tx a lot

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MiddyO(f): 4:09pm On Mar 09, 2017
[quote author=desoul post=54414800]
pls wait and collect your baby's Nigeria passport..meanwhile where did you apply for the passport? [/quote

Ikoyi. Time is of essence
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by temmyo: 4:11pm On Mar 09, 2017
baslone:

Ohh well. . . . . . this is based on my experience.

Gwinnett Medical centre in 2015 and Eastside Medical Centre 2017

Out of curiosity, what proofs do you take along with you to claim BC"s at a Vital office?

Was given a form to fill, submitted it with my I.D and payment in cash. Got the BC. This was in Dallas
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by bissiejoe: 4:43pm On Mar 09, 2017
jesufifunmi:
Pls ma i want to understand cry I am also in this situation right now. Which agency is in charge of booklets? Or are they hoarding this thing?
Try using Ikoyi office, though it might take close to three weeks and you have to pay up to double of the official rate. I just collected mine today and I had biometrics on 17th feb
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by jesufifunmi: 4:57pm On Mar 09, 2017
bissiejoe:

Try using Ikoyi office, though it might take close to three weeks and you have to pay up to double of the official rate. I just collected mine today and I had biometrics on 17th feb
I just called an officer at Ikoyi now and he said 28k for a minor and he still gave the booklet scarcity story. Said it might be read in 4 week. I cant take that chance.

Can i send you a PM so as to give me the details of the person who processed it for you? Unfortunately, my family friend who usully help with this kind of ish has retired and i don't want to bother him.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by jesufifunmi: 5:01pm On Mar 09, 2017
MiddyO:

Pls can anyone verify this inforinformation? On my son's American passport he was stamped in for 1 months stay in Nigeria. Now there are no passport booklets available at the passport offices. I hope this won't pose a problem when we are travelling?
Hi. Please what documents were required for the processing of you minor's passport and how much were you billed?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by bissiejoe: 5:05pm On Mar 09, 2017
jesufifunmi:
I just called an officer at Ikoyi now and he said 28k for a minor and he still gave the booklet scarcity story. Said it might be read in 4 week. I cant take that chance.

Can i send you a PM so as to give me the details of the person who processed it for you? Unfortunately, my family friend who usully help with this kind of ish has retired and i don't want to bother him.
You can, but I don't see any difference between three weeks and four weeks, most of the people I spoke with today had to wait for between three to four weeks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by baslone: 5:58pm On Mar 09, 2017
temmyo:

Was given a form to fill, submitted it with my I.D and payment in cash. Got the BC. This was in Dallas

Ooh okay!

Down here, that form is always attached to the confirmation letter.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ANIT1: 6:10pm On Mar 09, 2017
In the spirit of giving back here goes my POE experience Left for the US on 7th via Turkish Airlines
Straight down from lagos airport I wasn't asked for fit to fly even though we arrived late my mum and I landed JFK 8th March 11:25am US time Had to do the self service machine passport scanning
After which was directed to a CBP officer an African dude
Me : hello
CPB: passport please
U.S.: gave him our passports
CBP: why are you in Newyork
Me: to have my baby
Cbp : you have cash on you
Me: yes 3k dollars and USD cards too
CBP: do you have anything to show for that
Me : you mean doctors appointment
CBP: yes
Me: hands it over to him including that of the hospital
He then stamps us in for 6 months and that was all. No other documents checked no secondary inspection not even Agric even after declaring food and having all the naija soup ingredients and spices for omugwo you can think of it. All this happened in less than 10mins. I appreciate you all for the good advices in this wonderful thread.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by emerald274: 9:26pm On Mar 09, 2017
Like most people will say; This is me giving back to where I got from.
I came to Houston late last week.
At the airport in Abuja I was made to do their own form of fit to fly. They say that's the only one they recognize. It costs 2k.
Flight from Abuja to Istanbul was about 6hrs. There was a 6 hours stopover. At that point I was tired and asked for the wheelchair I had requested for while booking my ticket.
I was glad I did because the distance to my departure gate was far.
At this point I was asked for my fit to fly certificate from my doctor.

The flight to Houston was about 12hrs. I was lucky I had a row of 3 seats all to myself to sleep and toss around.
Got to Houston past 7pm. Below is a summary of the Q's& A's/cross examination at the POE. Of course not verbatim. I'm sure 1/2 people can deduce lessons from same.

At the 1st CBP desk.
CBP;what are you here for?
Me; For my maternity leave.
CBP;I can see you declared that you ve food?
Me;Yes
CBP;Pls wait over there, someone will come get you for further clarification.

I was taken to where I believe is the secondary screening. There were about 10-15 people waiting, including a Nigerian couple. Some looked worried. I tried to look as calm as possible. At this point you are not allowed to use your phone.
Was called upon by a black lady CBP official.

Her;what are you here for?
Me; My maternity leave
Her;what does that mean
Me; holiday I am entitled to before and after I put to bed.
Her; so why don't you just say 'child birth'.
Me; Because even though it includes childbirth, I will be staying weeks before and after as explained.
Her; And why does it have to be here?
Me; (I didn't mince words) For a better life for my baby and better medical care.
Her;How long are you staying?
Me;8-9 weeks, depending on how things turn out.
Her;So why did you state 2 weeks and that you were headed to Washington when you applied for your visa in January?
Me; Then my mind wasn't made up as I was in touch with many doctors for a different reason.
Her; Are you saying you did not know you were pregnant in January? If not why didn't you disclose so?
Me;Of course I was aware. However the intention was to seek medical care for a condition I was diagnosed with as at then. I renewed my visa via drop box, so there would have been no way I would have disclosed that I was pregnant.
Her;So at that time you didn't intend to come and give birth here?
Me; I did entertain the thought, but as at then, my diagnosis was of primary concern, till recently when I made up my mind.
That's why I rescheduled my flight and doctors appointment severally before making a decision.
Her; How long gone are you?
Me;XX weeks
Her; Do you have a medical report from your doctor?
Me;I searched and couldn't find it. (She went ahead..)
Her;Have you been in touch with a doctor?
Me; Yes. Gave her the correspondences.
Her;And how much will it cost you?
Me; Between $XX -$XX (she confirms in the correspondences)
Her; How much do you have on you?
Me; $XX
(She asked to count it)
Her;Where did you get the money you ll be relying on?
Me;My earnings.
Her;What do you do?
Me;XXXXX
Her;Is your husband coming?
Me;No
Her;Why?
Me;Because he will be busy at work.
Her; Does he have an existing visa?
Me; No he doesn't.
Her; Where will you be staying?
Me: With a XXXX at XXXX (she took it down)
Her; Can I have a phone no?
Me; I gave her.
She asked me to sit. Went in and came out in minutes. Called me over.
Her: (while stamping my passport)..just make sure the next time you come you have proof of payment for as much as you ve stated will cost you as medical bills.

I collect my passport and head to the Agric. Section.
In a friendly manner they started asking me whether I had indomie and some kind of Nigerian soups that even I don't know.
My box was searched and my yam, indomie, tuwon shinkafa and knorr cubes were seized.

Then I was directed to a last stand. He asked all over again what I was here for? which hospital? and counted my cash again. I was discharged from there.

And that is a summary of my experience the Houston POE.

It isn't easy/practicable to read from part 1 to 5 to get all the info one needs depending on so many factors, so on this note I will like to appreciate all those who were kind enough to answer all the questions asked by the JJC's like me on the thread. While a few who ve been here longer were uncouth and sometimes disrespectful in their responses (it doesn't take anything to communicate without being rude or not to respond at all), some were so kind to not only answer questions and give guidance but also gave words of encouragements.

I wish everyone the best.
Thanks once again.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Mrsc22: 9:31pm On Mar 09, 2017
Also houston bound. Oakbend also. In 2weeks

MsDenise:

Houston bound as well first week in April. Same Oakbend/Richmond as well.
Will pm.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Mrsc22: 9:41pm On Mar 09, 2017
Lagos.
iamnikky69:

Pls was your interview in Abuja or Lagos?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by julzz(f): 10:02pm On Mar 09, 2017
sexymj:
Please how can i get tax back?

You'll need your passport, return ticket and receipts,I think you should ask around where you can get your tax back, I had my baby in elpaso,so I did mine in the outlet shoppes mall they have a stand by the food court, in Cielo Vista mall you can find them inside Macy, there is also an office beside Burlington on Yarborough there too .

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by emerald274: 11:57pm On Mar 09, 2017
olajay5:
Hello people,

Thank you for sharing information and correcting one another on this forum. Please which is the cheapest line one can use in Houston? A friend need to buy a SIM card that offers cheap calling rate within US and to Nigeria as well as good quality/cheap data? Thank you for your anticipated response.

I did the same research and the popular opinion/suggestion was Lyca. There's a $29 monthly plan that includes 100min calls to Nigerian mobile lines and unlimited to Nigerian landlines. You can confirm from their website.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by sexymj(f): 12:07am On Mar 10, 2017
Thanks a lot

julzz:

You'll need your passport, return ticket and receipts,I think you should ask around where you can get your tax back, I had my baby in elpaso,so I did mine in the outlet shoppes mall they have a stand by the food court, in Cielo Vista mall you can find them inside Macy, there is also an office beside Burlington on Yarborough there too .
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by emerald274: 12:42am On Mar 10, 2017
Vivicious:
Hi Titileps,am considering HNWC. Pls kindly pm on details u have using the hospital and Dr Xydas esp.the paediatrican fee. Thanks.

Dr Xydas fee is 2000 for virginal and 2200 for CS.
HNWMC costs 2000 for virginal and 3500 for CS. You pay the hospital a bit more if it's a multiple preganancy.
It appears that you can only have the ped bill after you ve been discharged.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by emerald274: 12:50am On Mar 10, 2017
Mrsc22:
Thanks for sharing. I am houston bound in 2weeks. I am thinking of using JFK as POE. Also please how many weeks gone is still ok to fly. Thanks.

Apparently different airlines have different policies. For Turkish (as at the time I left) you ll need a 'fit to fly' if you are between 28-35 wks with a singleton and 28-31wks for multiples. After that you can't fly with them.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Chanbaby: 1:51am On Mar 10, 2017
Pls who has walked into the houston US Passport office recently cos I need to get my sons passport soon I was told by the security man that they don't accept walk in that I need to book an appointment. The nearest appointment date is 17th march and I'm traveling 23rd also need to get a Nigeria visa too. Pls advice me on what to do.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by nomanicole(f): 2:13am On Mar 10, 2017
Chanbaby:
Pls who has walked into the houston US Passport office recently cos I need to get my sons passport soon I was told by the security man that they don't accept walk in that I need to book an appointment. The nearest appointment date is 17th march and I'm traveling 23rd also need to get a Nigeria visa too. Pls advice me on what to do.

pick the 17th date, morning appointment . it's possible to get the passport same day once expedited or you just have to let them know u are sending the passport out for visa , they will give you the same day. u can get approval for visa on arrival or make a 24 hr visa arrangement with Eddy the visa agent. it's a small. matter

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ndmum: 2:23am On Mar 10, 2017
Hi. I'm using Emory Midtown. That's where Dr Tate takes deliveries. For a vaginal delivery using a doctor like mine ( a doctor outside of emory with rights to deliver in emory), I am required to pay 3900 for the use of the facility and 425 for epidural. Total 4325. The doctors bill is not included in this amount.

I suggest you google Emory and contact them on details on delivery billing. They repsond satisfactorily.

Amylen:
Please my dear, is it the Emory at midtown you are using? And if yes, what estimate did the hospital give you for the type of delivery you are going into. My thanks

quote author=ndmum post=54308664]Hi gold638. I am in Atlanta waiting to have my LO due this month. I am using Emory/Dr Tate. I am trying to get a pediatrician who is affordable (FOR VISITS AFTER DISCHARGE FROM THE HOSPITAL). Please do you have suggestions for me based on your experiance?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ANIT1: 3:07am On Mar 10, 2017
Hello house anyone with accommodation for share in Northwest Houston please I'm interested.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Helena6(f): 5:33am On Mar 10, 2017
lomwe:
Houston bound April/May. Using Oakbend and Richmond accommodation. Lets pm

I am Houston bound same period too. Which site did you book your Richmond acconodation on? Airbnb? I sent you pm.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by FADEO: 6:22am On Mar 10, 2017
desoul:
i have been around just that, the fight in the last pages too much, nah him i say make petch for one side dey look..before person break my head. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Desoul, please help me with process to get visa on arrival for my LO. you can send me mail on @gmail.com. thank you so much
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by FADEO: 6:27am On Mar 10, 2017
debby516:
So I made some notes before i travelled, more of tips. I hope the new mama's find them useful.

1. Delete all implicating emails/bbm/whatsaapp chats/texts from your phone before boarding cos of POE, including contacts saved with Nairaland (NL)
2.Fly before 36 weeks (i.e. 35 weeks + 1 day = 36 weeks). Pls note i went with Emirates.
3. Get Fit to fly from Doctor signed 2 days to trip and also signed copy of the medif form downloaded from Emirates website. Make 4 copies and keep the original signed forms. Always present the duplicate
4. Weigh your luggage before you leave the house.

I hope this is helpful.

Excellent information.... I will put in my addition once get back to naija. Almost done with this missionary journey and detail information on hospital, doctor, challenges and documentation process will come in detail.

please did you pay cash to collect the birth certificate at the County Clerk in Richmond?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by debby516(f): 6:46am On Mar 10, 2017
Yes. Cash of $23 at the Forth bend county office or so.
FADEO:

Excellent information.... I will put in my addition once get back to naija. Almost done with this missionary journey and detail information on hospital, doctor, challenges and documentation process will come in detail.

please did you pay cash to collect the birth certificate at the County Clerk in Richmond?

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by desoul: 7:26am On Mar 10, 2017
Chanbaby:
go to the passport office with your flight ticket and tell them you have less than two weeks to come back, the process will take less than two days and the passport will be ready!

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by FADEO: 7:29am On Mar 10, 2017
desoul:

go to the passport office with your flight ticket and tell them you have less than two weeks to come back, the process will take less than two days and the passport will be ready!

Desoul, please help me with process to get visa on arrival for my LO. you can send me mail on..... thank you so much
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by desoul: 8:06am On Mar 10, 2017
FADEO:

Desoul, please help me with process to get visa on arrival for my LO. you can send me mail on tejdavid2015@gmail.com. thank you so much
pls remove your email..I have already sent you a msg
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Shawbabe: 8:43am On Mar 10, 2017
emerald274:
Like most people will say; This is me giving back to where I got from.
I came to Houston late last week.
At the airport in Abuja I was made to do their own form of fit to fly.

Proves your Dr no be jazz man. You were worried about nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (416)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.