Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,981 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:59 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 - Travel (306) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (975710 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (416) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Babatwi: 7:27pm On Aug 20, 2017
olathunde:
Abeg o any response. All na because of budget o

Don't know how feasible this is,it's usually advisable to print it out a day or two before the interview . I think 2wks before interview is overdoing it.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by veegurl: 8:22pm On Aug 20, 2017
Please when traveling with foodstuffs how do you package them? Like Egusi and ogbono after grinding it do you have to dry it too before you package?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Kunsoft(m): 8:50pm On Aug 20, 2017
Package it in a transparent Leather like Zip lock.

veegurl:
Please when traveling with foodstuffs how do you package them? Like Egusi and ogbono after grinding it do you have to dry it too before you package?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Fyorgyn: 10:18pm On Aug 20, 2017
urblackpearl:

Packing for my missionary journey. Please advise on the items I should pack. I will appreciate any tips.
Ok.. so different strokes for different people.

First things first... please make a list. It is very important so you do not forget anything.

1. Documents

Very important... fit to fly, medical test results, employment letter (if applicable), correspondence with US doctors, receipts of payment where applicable, bank statements etc sometimes they ask and other times they don't. It's better to be safe than sorry

2. Food

Personally, I only took ijebu garri and powdered milk (difficult to find in the US) I was not ready for any unnecessary delays...

3. Baby stuff
My missionary journey was end of last year when dollar was hard to come by (no pta from bank or traveled... at a point sef even bdc malams didn't have dollars)... so I reckoned it was wiser to spend in naira as much as possible. I bought basic baby things in Nigeria o... baby soap, Vaseline, cream (I use shea butter), few newborn clothes and other basics

4. Mummy stuff

Your personal effects.

Also, people with L.A. POE experience should please share.

I entered through LA... look through my previous posts for my POE experience.

I plan going with 4k cash with additional 6k in my cards

I had $70 and a few pounds cash on me (yes! $70) but had enough money in my dollar and UK bank accounts

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by urblackpearl: 10:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
Fyorgyn:

I entered through LA... look through my previous posts for my POE experience.

I had $70 cash on me (yes! $70) but had enough money in my dollar and UK bank accounts

Wow! Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Fyorgyn: 11:00pm On Aug 20, 2017
urblackpearl:

Wow! Thanks

You're welcome
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ozycy: 11:18pm On Aug 20, 2017
shrekandfiona:

I know of a family friend that went thru worst at Chicago's POE. She even gave birth prematurely on arrival back to Naija. She has not yet recovered from the shock

The worst part was she was a frequent US traveller and she went with her hubby n kids. They were all sent back cry

OMG cry
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Supernaturalone: 11:19pm On Aug 20, 2017
Thanks.

Vlesparza:

39 weeks is the protocol as advised by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology it is not a law in Texas Law, it is required nationwide unless there is a medical reason. Any doctor delivering the baby before 39 weeks without a reason may risk losing his/her license.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Supernaturalone: 11:22pm On Aug 20, 2017
What's with other states? A friend if mine had hers 2 weeks ago in Chicago (Cook County) at 38 weeks

firsttymum:
ain't u lucky... Wait till u hear other states...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by shawlar(m): 11:40pm On Aug 20, 2017
shawlar:

It doesn't really matter if you have the original or not. They probably have his visa in their system and can easily view it by referencing his name/dob. They might even have done that when perusing your application..
LagosNIV:
This is correct.

sw:

It matters, I am talking from experience. Going with the original passport/visa will convince the VO more of your husband's consent, agreement and support for your trip. The VO might not b comfortable with the photocopy I repeat.

Wow...!! lol, this is soo soo funny cheesy cheesy cheesy

@sw; You are arguing about something that the VO has agreed with already.
Maybe you mis-interpreted your "experience"

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Ijesco: 2:29am On Aug 21, 2017
I picked up my luggage when i arrived usa.

quote author=iykmon post=59581825]
Sir during the change of aircraft/airline in France airport, did you have to pick up your luggage yourself in France to join Delta airline or your luggage where transfer by the airline to Delta.

[/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Suzyt: 5:36am On Aug 21, 2017
Supernaturalone:
What's with other states? A friend if mine had hers 2 weeks ago in Chicago (Cook County) at 38 weeks

Hi. Please confirm from her that there was no medical exigency that triggered the decision. Typically, it is never advisable for an otherwise healthy singleton pregnancy to undergo voluntary cs before 39 weeks. It's the obgyn board guideline and doesn't differ from state to state. It's a guideline and recommendation, not a law. But if you ask me, I'd advise you wait those extra days even till 40 if you Have no pregnancy induced ailment. Many a 38/37 weeker have found themselves in NICU for a few hours/days due to breathing issues. Not really worth it in my view. You've been "burdened" for 37 plus weeks, 2/3 extra for the sake of a healthy child is well worth it. Don't you think?

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Suzyt: 5:45am On Aug 21, 2017
Supernaturalone:
Texas mums, please how long do you typically wait to undergo a scheduled 'normal' CS? I'm having a baby in Houston and the Dr tells me that I have to wait 39 weeks, that this is the law in Texas, except there are complications or specific reasons that warrant bringing out the baby earlier.

Thanks.

It might not be a law but it's a practice that is generally followed. When they say a baby is developed by 36/37 weeks, it is not to give tired mothers or doctors the leeway to pluck a child that hasn't voluntarily tried making an exit. It is to assure mothers who go into labour during these weeks that all will be fine eventually as for most babies (not all) organs are fully developed by then. The internet is replete however with instances of babies (born early for the convenience of moms, doctors etc) who have found it difficult in the first few days and weeks. So unless it is actually urgent i.e. Affecting your health, it's best to wait till 40 weeks or at the very least 39.

All the very best. May all go well for you.

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by beautyuche: 6:40am On Aug 21, 2017
umajosiahNL:
Hi Everyone,

Great forum I must say! A BIG thanks to the moderator for helping all of us out here on Nairaland. Please I have a few questions to ask. My DW is a FTM and we are about to embark on this beautiful project of parenthood and giving birth in the USA. Can someone please kindly share with us the documents required for Visa, the budgeting sheet, as well as any other vital information we must know. My DW has never been to the US before and this would be her first. Our sister has found us a good hospital in Tyler Tx and we have had correspondence with the nurse and so far have gotten a doctor who's willing to take her on. I hope that she travels between the 22-27th of October 2017, how soon or late should I be looking to apply a visa for her? What are the pitfalls to watch out for in visa acquiring and travel?

I look forward to a prompt reply from this wonderful family. Thanks guys for all the help and advice! I must say i've learnt a lot from the forum so far...

Cheers

Josh

The gurus in d house will attend to you in detain for me I will say start now. In d event any that ng goes wrong u be got time to make them right.

Pls pm me the cost of your hospital and Dr bill. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Supernaturalone: 8:02am On Aug 21, 2017
My query was about understanding what the general practice is as I am wise enough to take to medical advise (not like I have a choice anyway!) Thanks!

Suzyt:

Hi. Please confirm from her that there was no medical exigency that triggered the decision. Typically, it is never advisable for an otherwise healthy singleton pregnancy to undergo voluntary cs before 39 weeks. It's the obgyn board guideline and doesn't differ from state to state. It's a guideline and recommendation, not a law. But if you ask me, I'd advise you wait those extra days even till 40 if you Have no pregnancy induced ailment. Many a 38/37 weeker have found themselves in NICU for a few hours/days due to breathing issues. Not really worth it in my view. You've been "burdened" for 37 plus weeks, 2/3 extra for the sake of a healthy child is well worth it. Don't you think?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by oadeyeye: 9:27am On Aug 21, 2017
depends on what kind of device, you may need a step up/down transformer or if its a device with adaptor you can get an adaptor with 220v provided the device has a rating of 110v-220v
for exaple my medela breast pump is 110v-220v, bought in US i used with the 110v adaptor that came with it but when i got to nigeria i bought a 220v adaptor in ikeja for 300naira
chigrad:
Pls can anyone help me with this question.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Suzyt: 9:36am On Aug 21, 2017
Hi all,

Please quick question: I had my baby and hustled every service provider for my zero balance bill. I was able to get them. However for the hospital, there are two columns. One showing what Patient pays and another called FLAT RATE PROCEDURE. the patient pay column is exactly as envisaged and as Pre informed by the hospital and shows I have nothing to pay any longer (zero). But right beside it there is a whopping 18000 there. I had queried this at the billing department of the hospital and was repeatedly informed that this is the way their bills and final receipts are generated and there is no issue.

My question however is that will this be clear to a POE official or VO? For those who got zero balances from the hospital, what form did it take? How do I get this sorted. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ajobi21: 10:44am On Aug 21, 2017
[quote author=Uniquezuri post=59605208]Awwww... i thought you were Houston bound.. that's way expensive oo. I got quotes for vbac from 3 different docs and 2 hospitals in houston.the quotes i have (adding hospital and doctor fees) is about 10k. Paediatrician should be about $400 to $500 max. 28k is not beans mehn

Please can you share these hospitals. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by babiechic: 11:13am On Aug 21, 2017
hello house,

here is my situation and your advice is genuinely needed. i had a b1-b2 which expired last month although i travelled for tourism with this visa. now im expecting my LO and will like to give birth in the US. i am also planning on renewing my visa(drop box) . should i choose b2 (medicals) while renewing or b1-b2? please advise
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by podada(m): 11:20am On Aug 21, 2017
the VO must have thought the cost of a return ticket is way lower than you getting a one-way seat for one of the babies...he should have just mentioned he was going on vacation...abeg sometimes lieing is the best thing...and again he does nothave ties to naija anymore...wife and pikin dey yankeee...wetin come remain for here? my 2kobo
Austine2020:
The reason for the application is not enough,thats why they refused him. His Visa should have been approved if he had applied earlier before u gave birth and give them the reason Like " To witness the birth of my twins and help my wife as well" and when they gave him Visa,then he can choose to travel whenever he wants. The Visa Officer has seen that he has no help to offer u in the US since you have delivered your babies gathered their documents and ready to come back to Nig,only for him to apply now with the reason to help you bring your babies back,. So they deemed his reason not sufficient enough,because they know u can always find a way to bring back your babies. You guys have been reading this forum but did a different thing from how others did theirs. Do as "Shrekandfiona" Or "Ogemele"said,thats the two options you have now. Pls Stop giving yourself hbp on problems that have a straight simple solution,. Goodluck.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by podada(m): 11:27am On Aug 21, 2017
But I don't think the Doctor's information was provided or seen by the VO before she refused the her the visa?
Austine2020:
The VO has already told you what went wrong,. May be the VO saw the Doctor u used in your application and google his name and found out that the Dr is not an Obgyn,which u already confirmed he is not,in your write-up. Little things can spoil your chances of getting your Visa. U should have used the one u exchanged Emails with in Texas and when your visa is approved,u can always change your destination,Its not against the Law to change your birthing destinations. Judging by the Interview,the VO is quite friendly with u,but seeing what he/she saw in your application,the music changed.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 21, 2017
Hi @ajobi21, i have responded to your mail

[quote author=ajobi21 post=59680942][/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by podada(m): 11:39am On Aug 21, 2017
from your thesis, it is obvious you don't have ties with Nigeria(main reason you have been denied twice). leave ur hubby's info out of the matter. don't even take his visa there. apply alone.
Oluwakeminoah:

Thanks shawlar...

My husband only spent about a week the only one tym he went dere and he came bak with no issues. Dey shd be able to track his movement with his visa number kwa.
Changing hospital and doc might be a choice but sometimes dose guys won't respond quick enof and tym is of essence. AV got jes 4 weeks to finish up n travel if I must. Don't knw if it's wise to apply again sha or jus bone and try with d next baby
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by bolajifive: 11:40am On Aug 21, 2017
Please i need advise.
I am preggy for the first time and intend to deliver in usa. I have travelled to usa about 2 yrs ago. And had renewed my visa early this yr before i realised i was pregnant.
The question is do I have to change my visa type from b1/b2 before i travel, and what are the chances of me getting the new visa.

Soneone has advised me to travel early and that it wuldnt matter if i travel befire it becomes obvious, like at yhe end of my 2nd trimester.

I need advise please.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by veegurl: 12:43pm On Aug 21, 2017
[quote author=Kunsoft post=59666173]Package it in a transparent Leather like Zip lock.

Thanks! I know about the ziplock. I'm asking whether I shuld dry it after grinding the Egusi and ogbono or just put it inside the ziplock bag?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MsPapi: 12:55pm On Aug 21, 2017
Hi ma'am. Congratsnonnthe birth of your baby. Please i want to ask, what was the immigration response like? I sent them a mail with the required documents and i only got a reply frkm them saying received. Is this sufficient or the respinse needs to be detailed?

Thank you.

olukemiyemi:
Good day people.

I wanted to share my experience has I have gained a lot reading from what other people share on here. This is the second baby I've had in the US. The first was in Virginia, while I stayed in with family in Maryland. Virginia is significantly cheaper depending on your choice but distance was a major challenge for me. This time we decided to do Houston because it was going to be more cost effectve.

I traveled with Turkish airline on May 27th to JFK and spent time with my friends before heading out to Houston. Point of entry was surprisingly easy, I did self check in, printed out a receipt and only thing I was asked was the kind of food I had on me. No questions asked my purpose of visit or my big tummy (I was huge). I was really grateful for that.

I had gone very far with planning for Houston before I noticed in the document one of the doctors sent me that they do not allow VBAC (virginal birth after CS). I found out later that this was a Texas thing, most hospitals will not allow a woman that has had a previous CS try to get birth vaginally. This is my 3rd, I had a VBAC with my second, so I didn't see any reason to have a planned C-Section. We searched for Drs would do VBAC and we found one who uses Ben Taub. The cost estimates was significantly higher than using Oak bend or any of the other cost effective hospitals/doctors. The Dr's fees alone was about $5400 for normal delivery, so I contacted a midwife/birthing center as back up.

I visited both the midwife and the Drs at Ben Taub (they are 5 minutes apart in distance) but we eventually settled for the birthing center because my chances of having a natural delivery and staying within my budget was better. We had Ben Taub as backup in case going to the hospital became necessary.

My baby came on the 12th of July at the birthing center, it was easy and the best birthing experience of my three births. Baby came 2 weeks late and was happy to not have been under any pressure to be induced. Antenatal visits was easy and schedules flexible, service was very personal, midwife came home to check on us after the birth, they had free group prenatal classes and breastfeeding support meetings.

I know people on here have made a valid point of the risk of using birthing centers but for VBAC mums like me, who really want do things naturally and are low risk, its definitely an option. Also a cheaper option if you are low risk.

I got the birth certificate in less than a week, I've got the passport and also got approval for the Nigerian visa on arrival in less than 24 hours. I sent an e-mail with all necessary documents to the immigrations email address (oa@nigeriaimmigration.gov.ng) and was very impressed to hear back from them same day.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by freshdad: 3:21pm On Aug 21, 2017
They would reply you with a second mail with what you require at MMIA or ABV when you touch down
MsPapi:
Hi ma'am. Congratsnonnthe birth of your baby. Please i want to ask, what was the immigration response like? I sent them a mail with the required documents and i only got a reply frkm them saying received. Is this sufficient or the respinse needs to be detailed?

Thank you.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by goobyparks(f): 4:46pm On Aug 21, 2017
AbusM:

Hello @AbusM
I trust LO is doing great.
Pls what Dulles your final destination?
I'm going to Norfolk, Virginia bt I want to go through IAD and then take a 1hr local flight to ORF (Norfolk). I got a better ticket deal thru this route.
Pls what's your advice

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by BootyliciousHon: 6:53pm On Aug 21, 2017
Hello everyone. Does anyone have any experience with Orlando POE? For childbirth purposes of course.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by doreese: 7:51pm On Aug 21, 2017
Hello @Bisoye82 please I PMed you. I need some info on At Francis medical centerLynwood CA.

Dear house

Please has anyone used the above hospital lately? What was the bill like and how did you contact them?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by cutelass: 9:48pm On Aug 21, 2017
freshdad:
They would reply you with a second mail with what you require at MMIA or ABV when you touch down

pls is this visa on arrival restricted to MMIA and ABV? what of phc, enugu and kano int'l airports?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by cutelass: 10:36pm On Aug 21, 2017
doreese:
Hello @Bisoye82 please I PMed you. I need some info on At Francis medical centerLynwood CA.

Dear house

Please has anyone used the above hospital lately? What was the bill like and how did you contact them?

Thanks in advance.

used them last yr and will be using them again soonest. you don't contact the hospital, till you are on ground to sign the self pay contract. You rather contact the dr, he gives you all info you need before you actually visit the hospital.

scroll up on this page, you'll see 'fyorgyn'...click on her posts...you'll see detailed info of present cost both for dr and hospital. just Google that dr's name, call the phone number during work hrs (bear in mind California is 8 hrs behind us) and his asst will send you all info you need by mail.

finally, looking through your posts, saw you got ur visa less than 2 months ago for elpaso...I'm just concerned for you so that someone doesn't give you stress at POE. Aldou LA is usually a breeze but I've read one story of secondary inspection on this thread. Wld have been a lot better if all you said at the embassy tallies with POE...it may not be an issue dou

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (416)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.